News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2022, 09:22:42 AMDoes the term 'lady friend' have the same connotation as 'girlfriend', or does it sound less casual?

This may help you to understand the distinction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE50uB9YL3A

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 22, 2022, 04:45:50 AM
Best to just use the whole acronym ...

... the other letters in the acronym

Here's another minor thing that bothers me:  using the term 'acronym' to refer to something that isn't pronounced as a word.

OPEC is an acronym.  WTO is not.

Quote from: Cambridge Dictionary
acronym
noun
US  /ˈæk.rə.nɪm/ UK  /ˈæk.rə.nɪm/

an abbreviation consisting of the first letters of each word in the name of something, pronounced as a word

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/acronym
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Actually, the letter "W" bothers me when used in abbreviations (especially when spoken), since "double-u" almost always takes longer to say than whatever you were trying to shorten.

And WTO is a case in point. Why shouldn't it just be pronounced "witto" (2 syllables) instead of "double-u-tee-oh" (5 syllables)?

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on June 22, 2022, 11:34:47 AM
Actually, the letter "W" bothers me when used in abbreviations (especially when spoken), since "double-u" almost always takes longer to say than whatever you were trying to shorten.

And WTO is a case in point. Why shouldn't it just be pronounced "witto" (2 syllables) instead of "double-u-tee-oh" (5 syllables)?

Perfect example:  GSW.  It takes less time to just say 'gun shot wound'.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2022, 11:45:29 AM

You mean Golden State Warriors?

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on June 22, 2022, 11:47:23 AM
Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2022, 11:45:29 AM

You mean Golden State Warriors?

Ha, that was my first thought as well - although in that case, "dubs" is much shorter than both.

Come to think of it, why not just change the official spoken pronunciation of the letter W to "dub"?  The meaning of the word "dub" that we already have is a wonderful sort of irony: "to give an unofficial name or nickname to (someone or something)"

And "dub-tee-oh" has a nice ring to it.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

I can think of the occasional one that could be an acronym or an abbreviation depending on how someone says it. "HTSUS" is a good example. It stands for "Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States." Some people say it as a word (like "hits us"), others say it as a string of five separate letters.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

I once knew a woman from Murrieta (CA) who pronounced the name of the auto parts store as en-a-pee-a because, in her words, "Napa is valley in California".
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2022, 11:17:17 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 22, 2022, 04:45:50 AMBest to just use the whole acronym ...

Here's another minor thing that bothers me:  using the term 'acronym' to refer to something that isn't pronounced as a word.

Quote from: Cambridge Dictionaryacronym
noun

an abbreviation consisting of the first letters of each word in the name of something, pronounced as a word

Wikipedia does not agree with you or the Cambridge Dictionary.  Personally, if I were copyediting and ran across an instance of WTO being described as an acronym, I would not request a correction.

Citing dictionary authority can be tricky:  there are ones out there that claim, e.g., a turnpike with full control of access cannot be a freeway.  Cue members of the Freeways in Los Angeles Facebook group claiming the Pennsylvania Turnpike, which opened almost three months before the Arroyo Seco Parkway, could not possibly have been the first freeway because tolls were levied.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 22, 2022, 01:00:13 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on June 22, 2022, 04:45:50 AMBest to just use the whole acronym ...

noun

Wikipedia does not agree with you or the Cambridge Dictionary.  Personally, if I were copyediting and ran across an instance of WTO being described as an acronym, I would not request a correction.

Citing dictionary authority can be tricky:  there are ones out there that claim, e.g., a turnpike with full control of access cannot be a freeway.  Cue members of the Freeways in Los Angeles Facebook group claiming the Pennsylvania Turnpike, which opened almost three months before the Arroyo Seco Parkway, could not possibly have been the first freeway because tolls were levied.

Wikipedia can be changed then to be in agreement.  Any reasoning should never use Wikipedia because of its editability.

kphoger

Citing dictionary authority can be tricky ...

I don't think it's quite fair to say Wikipedia "does not agree".  It says it's a topic of debate.

Dictionary and style-guide editors are not in universal agreement on the naming for such abbreviations, and it is a matter of some dispute whether the term acronym can be legitimately applied to abbreviations which are not pronounced "as words", nor do these language authorities agree on the correct use of spacing, casing, and punctuation.

It is an unsettled question in English lexicography and style guides whether it is legitimate to use the word acronym to describe forms that use initials but are not pronounced as a word. While there is plenty of evidence that acronym is used widely in this way, some sources do not acknowledge this usage, reserving the term acronym only for forms pronounced as a word, and using initialism or abbreviation for those that are not. Some sources acknowledge the usage, but vary in whether they criticize or forbid it, allow it without comment, or explicitly advocate for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym#Lexicography_and_style_guides
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 22, 2022, 01:09:24 PMWikipedia can be changed then to be in agreement.  Any reasoning should never use Wikipedia because of its editability.

Such edits generate an audit trail that can expose dishonest intent, but yes.  Merriam-Webster is an example of a resource, not editable by its ordinary users, that allows the term acronym to cover initialisms.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

If nothing else, this discussion has taught me that the non-word usage goes back to the term's earliest days, so maybe it won't bother me so much anymore.
Male pronouns, please.

ZLoth

The problem with abbreviations and acronyms is that you need to know what they mean. It's terrible in IT becase there is so many of them. Anyone know what l10n or i18n means? It's short for localization and internationalization .

Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on June 21, 2022, 04:15:19 PM
Quote from: kkt on June 21, 2022, 04:08:38 PM
If a couple were living together but not married, the census described that at POSSLQ, Person of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters, and you can see why that didn't catch on in general use.

Pronounced poss-lick, I can only assume.  Sounds like someone who has inappropriate relations with American marsupials.

I remember it being pronounced "possul-cue," and there was either a parody song or a comedy routine about it at the time, but my memory is hazy because it was a long time ago.

I do remember the term getting about the same amount of ridicule as "sanitation engineer" did for "garbage collector."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 22, 2022, 04:45:50 AM
Best to just use the whole acronym ...

How do you know I'm not sitting here saying it as "lullgibtic"?  :spin:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

noun

Different dictionaries have significantly different goals.  Some are trying to document how the language is actually used, warts and all.  Others are providing suggested usage for formal situations.  Most do a mixture of both, including informal definitions but labeling them as situational.

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2022, 12:27:58 PM
I once knew a woman from Murrieta (CA) who pronounced the name of the auto parts store as en-a-pee-a because, in her words, "Napa is valley in California".
You've mentioned this before, and I remember finding out that she's technically correct, in that the auto parts store stands for "National Auto Parts Association" . Would I still look at her like she had three heads if she said it? Yes.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on June 22, 2022, 11:38:35 PM
Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2022, 12:27:58 PM
You've mentioned this before, and I remember finding out that she's technically correct, in that the auto parts store stands for "National Auto Parts Association" . Would I still look at her like she had three heads if she said it? Yes.

FWIW I don't know a single person in California who pronounces Napa or Napa Valley any different from how they do the auto parts store.

J N Winkler

Some British newspapers, like the Guardian, have a style convention of using title case for initialisms that are pronounced as a word, e.g. Aids rather than AIDS.

ZLoth

Quote from: kphoger on June 22, 2022, 12:27:58 PMI once knew a woman from Murrieta (CA) who pronounced the name of the auto parts store as en-a-pee-a because, in her words, "Napa is valley in California".

The folks who live in the City of Napa would like a word, since they are part of the Napa Valley and Napa County. The name "Napa" was probably derived from the name given to a southern Nappan village whose native people shared the area with elk, deer, grizzlies and cougars for many centuries.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

roadman65

W is also the beginning call letter of a radio station east of the Mississippi River.😅
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SSOWorld

Quote from: kphoger on June 21, 2022, 07:15:32 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 21, 2022, 07:08:35 PM
I use SO pretty often. "Significant Other" .

See, for some reason I think of that term as rather passé.  Like maybe a term from the 90s?

For what it's worth, here are the results of a British survey from 2019:

Quote from: J N Winkler on June 21, 2022, 07:12:18 PM
While I do notice it when a heterosexual couple describe themselves as partners, I don't see the term as being particularly associated with the LGBTQIA+ community.  Especially with full nationwide marriage equality since 2015, it seems to me more common for gay guys to speak of husbands and lesbian women to speak of wives.

That's been my experience as well.  Yet, for whatever reason, the term still carries an LGB connotation to me–even if that isn't the way most people are currently using it.
Calling them "something else" might offend them. ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.