News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

I've tried using a laptop on a flight, and even with the seat in front of me in its full and upright position, it's a pain.  Plus, the tray is too high for me and the room is too small.  And where am I going to put my drink and pretzels?  Any work I could get done is at a much slower pace.  Just easier to listen to music or shut my eyes.

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on July 24, 2022, 04:03:39 PM
(explaining seat reclining on airplanes)

Defending seat reclining on airplanes?

formulanone

Quote from: jakeroot on July 25, 2022, 08:05:09 PM

Spare me your armchair moralizing.

What about when someone stands up in front of your seat at a sporting event or concert?

How about the one time you forgot to use your turn signal, is that an intrusion of another's lane?

I might recline my seat about half the time, and almost never on a short flight...and even on a somewhat longer one today, I didn't need to at all. The button is there for a reason. Don't like it? Don't fly.

Get squeezed between a wall and one or even two overweight passenger(s), and you've gotta do something.

Max Rockatansky

This recent round trip to Mexico is the first time I can recall in the last decade where I was able to sleep on a plane.  Granted, neither flight was a comfortable rest and I woke up with my usual airplane borne sore neck.  At least it wasn't as bad as the return flight home from Hawaii, my neck was sore for about three weeks after that.

hbelkins

Here are some phrases that irk me every time I hear them:

"Beautiful inside and out."

"Love him/her/you so big."

"Love him/her/you so good."

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ZLoth

The way the television markets are ranked and how the programming and advertising is molded to fit those markets. Consider this (per the 2021-2022 Television rankings, because the 2022-2023 was never released):

• The top 25 markets consist of 49.657% of all television households.
  • The top 20 markets consist of 44.476% of all television households.
  • The top 10 markets consist of 29.395% of all television households.
  • The top 8 markets consist of 25.215% of all television households.
  • The top 5 markets (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, DFW) consist of 18.705% of all television households.
  • The top 2 markets (New York and Los Angeles) consists of 10.906% of all television households.
  • The bottom 10% of television households consists of television markets 116-210.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ZLoth on July 28, 2022, 07:34:52 AM
The way the television markets are ranked and how the programming and advertising is molded to fit those markets. Consider this (per the 2021-2022 Television rankings, because the 2022-2023 was never released):

• The top 25 markets consist of 49.657% of all television households.
  • The top 20 markets consist of 44.476% of all television households.
  • The top 10 markets consist of 29.395% of all television households.
  • The top 8 markets consist of 25.215% of all television households.
  • The top 5 markets (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, DFW) consist of 18.705% of all television households.
  • The top 2 markets (New York and Los Angeles) consists of 10.906% of all television households.
  • The bottom 10% of television households consists of television markets 116-210.

I don't know enough about tv to understand what's bothersome about this.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jakeroot

Quote from: formulanone on July 25, 2022, 08:16:30 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 25, 2022, 08:05:09 PM

Spare me your armchair moralizing.

What about when someone stands up in front of your seat at a sporting event or concert?

How about the one time you forgot to use your turn signal, is that an intrusion of another's lane?

I might recline my seat about half the time, and almost never on a short flight...and even on a somewhat longer one today, I didn't need to at all. The button is there for a reason. Don't like it? Don't fly.

Get squeezed between a wall and one or even two overweight passenger(s), and you've gotta do something.

Oh Jesus. I'm not being completely serious. If you want to recline, it's more than within your privilege as a passenger to do so.

The unwritten rule on Alaska Airlines is generally to not recline. I can't remember the last time the person in front of me reclined. I do recall, though, the look on someone's face when the person in front of them reclines. That face is usually what keeps me from reclining :-D.

CtrlAltDel

TV shows and movies where the title is a character's name but also a regular word, so its meaning is not clear if you're unfamiliar with it. Like, Monk is not about a monk.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ZLoth

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 28, 2022, 11:49:12 AM

Simple. There are 210 television markets. However, half of the US viewing population is in the top 25 markets, and the programming decisions by the networks is made primarily to appeal to viewers in those top 25 markets.... or 20.... or 10....

JayhawkCO

Quote from: ZLoth on August 02, 2022, 04:29:58 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 28, 2022, 11:49:12 AM

Simple. There are 210 television markets. However, half of the US viewing population is in the top 25 markets, and the programming decisions by the networks is made primarily to appeal to viewers in those top 25 markets.... or 20.... or 10....

So you're saying that they base their programming on the majority of viewership?

DenverBrian

Television markets. How quaint. Especially when you can stream over a hundred times the available programming content of the "major networks."

thenetwork

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 02, 2022, 03:06:55 PM
TV shows and movies where the title is a character's name but also a regular word, so its meaning is not clear if you're unfamiliar with it. Like, Monk is not about a monk.

You mean there's not a 3-bedroom, 2-bath Bungalow that can give you a heart transplant!?!??

(A.k.a.: House)

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: thenetwork on August 02, 2022, 10:52:08 PM

You mean there's not a 3-bedroom, 2-bath Bungalow that can give you a heart transplant!?!??

What about shows who's title is a common phrase (even cliché) but one of the words in the phrase is the main character/main family's last name:  King of the Hill

GenExpwy

Quote from: thenetwork on August 02, 2022, 10:52:08 PM

When I first heard the title The Sopranos, I thought it was about opera.

formulanone

Well, either that or tack "American" onto the front of the show/series/movie/book/album name to make it sound unique, smug, or quasi-patriotic. No crap, most of our programming comes from America. Try harder.

thenetwork

Quote from: formulanone on August 04, 2022, 10:12:58 AM

Well, either that or tack "American" onto the front of the show/series/movie/book/album name to make it sound unique, smug, or quasi-patriotic. No crap, most of our programming comes from America. Try harder.

I would also like to include Wheel of Fortune "America's Game" and the Dallas Cowboys "America's Team" in this:

I am an American...Wheel of Fortune is nowhere close to my favorite game show and Dallas is NOT my team.  And I am willing to bet the farm that there are Millions of other Americans who would agree with me.

False Advertising.

Big John

Facebook birthday fundraisers.  FB keeps pestering you to donate, then when your birthday is coming up they pester you to create a fundraiser which I won't do.

ZLoth

Quote from: thenetwork on August 04, 2022, 11:26:42 AM(text deleted) Dallas Cowboys "America's Team" (text deleted) I am an American... (text deleted) Dallas is NOT my team.

The nickname America's Team was actually first coined in 1978 in a Dallas Cowboys highlight film by narrator John Facenda, who mentioned that the team appears on TV so much that they are as recognizable as movie stars and US presidents. One could make the argument that the New England Patriots is more deserving of the title based upon number of Super Bowl appearances in the past twenty years. Also, since the Dallas Cowboys won Super Bowl XXX for the 1995 season, they share the same number of NFC Championship appearances as the Detroit Lions and the Washington Somethings.

Yes, I am writing this in the heart of Cowboy country.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: ZLoth on August 04, 2022, 12:32:07 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on August 04, 2022, 11:26:42 AM(text deleted) Dallas Cowboys "America's Team" (text deleted) I am an American... (text deleted) Dallas is NOT my team.

The nickname America's Team was actually first coined in 1978 in a Dallas Cowboys highlight film by narrator John Facenda, who mentioned that the team appears on TV so much that they are as recognizable as movie stars and US presidents. One could make the argument that the New England Patriots is more deserving of the title based upon number of Super Bowl appearances in the past twenty years. Also, since the Dallas Cowboys won Super Bowl XXX for the 1995 season, they share the same number of NFC Championship appearances as the Detroit Lions and the Washington Somethings.

Yes, I am writing this in the heart of Cowboy country.

No, the 49ers are the only team to have more NFC Championship game appearances than the Cowboys as of 2022.  The Cowboys have been to 15 NFC Championship Games and two NFL Championship games (66 and 67, the game that preceded the first 4 Super Bowls with the right to represent the NFL in the game) all before their last Super Bowl win, meaning in the first 30 Super Bowls, more than half of the games played to decide who would represent the NFC (or NFL) in the Super Bowl was played by the Cowboys.

Not NFC East titles either, because the Cowboys have more NFC East titles than any combination of two of the other teams in the division (Giants/Commanders, Commanders/Eagles or Eagles/Giants)

Yes I am a Cowboys fan, but I am also not happy that all of the accolades come from a period between 1967 and 1995.  Despite that, the Cowboys still are either first, tied for first or a close second in a lot of categories.

Tied for second with the most Super Bowl victories (5)
Second with the most Super Bowl appearances (8)
The most NFC Championship Game victories (8)
Second most NFC Championship appearances (15)
Most NFC East titles (24)
Most consecutive winning seasons (20)

I guess that's one of the minor things that bother me.  People only remember how average or awful they have been in recent years.  They have no idea that they still are a force to be reckoned with when it comes to all time stats.  That shows how dominant they were for almost 30 years. 

Scott5114

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 04, 2022, 01:15:35 PM
I guess that's one of the minor things that bother me.  People only remember how average or awful they have been in recent years.  They have no idea that they still are a force to be reckoned with when it comes to all time stats. 

So is Sears, Roebuck and Co.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 04, 2022, 01:52:22 PM
I guess that's one of the minor things that bother me.  People only remember how average or awful they have been in recent years.  They have no idea that they still are a force to be reckoned with when it comes to all time stats. 

So is Sears, Roebuck and Co.

Blockbuster Video too.

CoreySamson

Quote from: Big John on August 04, 2022, 11:39:01 AM
Facebook birthday fundraisers.  FB keeps pestering you to donate, then when your birthday is coming up they pester you to create a fundraiser which I won't do.
To me that seems to go against the very motivation one would even do a fundraiser for. I would think a fundraiser would be done out of love or the goodness of one's own heart, not out of pride or pestering. TBH I would rather give to organizations or people that aren't asking for my money via online fundraisers.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

ZLoth

Quote from: ZLoth on August 04, 2022, 12:32:07 PM

No, the 49ers are the only team to have more NFC Championship game appearances than the Cowboys as of 2022.

I want to emphasize the key point... "since the Dallas Cowboys won Super Bowl XXX for the 1995 season".

• 8 - Green Bay Packers - 1996, 1997, 2007, 2010, 2014, 2016, 2019, 2020
  • 6 - San Francisco 49ers - 1997, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2019, 2021
  • 6 - Philadelphia Eagles - 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2017
  • 5 - Carolina Panthers - 1996, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2015
  • 4 - St Louis/Los Angeles Rams - 1999, 2001, 2018, 2021
  • 4 - New York Giants - 2000, 2007, 2010, 2011
  • 4 - Minnesota Vikings - 1998, 2000, 2009, 2017
  • 4 - Atlanta Falcons - 1998, 2012, 2013, 2016
  • 3 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 1999, 2002, 2020
  • 3 - New Orleans Saints - 2006, 2009, 2018
  • 2 - Seattle Seahawks - 2005, 2014
  • 2 - Chicago Bears - 2006, 2010
  • 2 - Arizona Cardinals - 2008, 2015
  • 0 - Washington Somethings
  • 0 - Detroit Lions
  • 0 - Dallas Cowboys

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.