News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 11, 2023, 11:39:21 PM
It's definitely more acceptable if there's one person there to continue the transaction while the other goes to retrieve the item. At least that way there's no risk the person will just leave the store without completing the purchase or anything, and there's an obvious reason the line is held up rather than the cashier having to stand there awkwardly not doing anything and not make eye contact with the angry customers in line behind them.

Generally true, except that in my case, I was only about 9 or 10 years old, still young enough to be just a tad worried about my dad getting lost, and certainly too nervous to help bag the other groceries or make conversation. So it was still a rather awkward few moments.  :-D

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 11, 2023, 11:39:21 PM
About the closest I've been to this situation was one time the cashier discovered one of my items was already open and asked me if I wanted a different one. I said yes and ran off to grab one. When I got back the cashier said he had been planning to have the sacker go get it for me but I had taken off before he could suggest that. Whoops. (Having the sacker do such runs seems like it would be the best solution–they probably know the layout of the store better than the customer and thus could retrieve the item more quickly, and if the cashier runs out of items to scan they could busy themselves with sacking the groceries while they wait for the sacker to return.)

I can't say I've ever heard the term "sacker" before. Most grocery stores I've been to don't have a designated person for sacking or "bagging", as I'd call it. The cashier usually just puts the items from the belt in bags and then puts the bags back in the cart. The customer(s) often assist, all the more so now that NY has switched to mostly reusable bags.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: GaryV on January 10, 2023, 12:42:46 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on January 10, 2023, 12:06:50 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 10, 2023, 09:29:21 AM
Quote from: DenverBrian on January 09, 2023, 06:12:24 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 04, 2023, 04:16:07 PM
I love how everyone's solution is to just leave out information.  That's not exactly a solution.
Is it a minor thing that bothers you? :D :D :D

It's just like the fast talking mumble at the end of a car ad on radio.

Or ads where the disclaimers take up more time and/or space then the pitch itself.

Mike

You mean like most pharmacological ads? Especially in insert magazines like Parade. They show a picture of happy healthy people, presumably after using their product. Then the next 2 pages are disclaimers and warnings. "This stuff is great unless it kills you."
Trulicity says 'hold my beer'

No doubt it works, (the first page) but the side effects (pages 2-384) are a bitch.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

elsmere241

Janeane Garofalo, in one of her stand-up routines a long time ago, read the side effects for Paxil out loud, and responded, "I'd rather be a little sad."

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on January 12, 2023, 12:29:11 AM
I can't say I've ever heard the term "sacker" before. Most grocery stores I've been to don't have a designated person for sacking or "bagging", as I'd call it. The cashier usually just puts the items from the belt in bags and then puts the bags back in the cart. The customer(s) often assist, all the more so now that NY has switched to mostly reusable bags.

I've taken to using the word 'sack' more and more.  It started when I met my wife, visited her family in Minnesota, and encountered that god-awful northern pronunciation of the word 'bag'.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 12, 2023, 10:47:18 AM

I've taken to using the word 'sack' more and more.  It started when I met my wife, visited her family in Minnesota, and encountered that god-awful northern pronunciation of the word 'bag'.
I don't care how awful the Midwestern pronunciation of "bag" is (my wife is from Michigan, so I hear it all the time), I'm not saying "sack."  Or "buggy," for that matter.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 11, 2023, 04:40:03 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 11, 2023, 03:04:09 PM
- Leaving the checkout to grab another item while they're checking out and the lines are full behind them.

Someone leaving the counter mid-transaction resulted in their transaction being voided and them having to go through the line again when I was a cashier. I don't know how practicable that would be in a grocery store, but I think it's reasonable to assume the customer leaving kills the transaction–what if they never come back?

When I realize I'm missing an item mid-transaction, I'll finish the transaction, move my cart somewhere unobtrusive, then purchase the item as a separate transaction in self-checkout or the express lane. (Or, more frequently, shrug and add it as item #1 on next week's list, if it's not a must-have.)

Our system also allowed us to suspend orders, a sort of middle ground between a complete void and just waiting. Only managers could do it, but when we did, we'd get a receipt with a bar code that could be scanned on any other register to be resumed, even our service desk registers. Sometimes people didn't understand the concept, but it was a good compromise when the person wasn't back and their stuff was already bagged.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Dirt Roads

For those of you that haven't yet experienced all that the Appalachian dialect has to offer, we say "poke" instead of bag.  But the word also has a connotation that you bagged it yourself:  "After I sitch a spell, I'll go an' fetch me-self a poke of string-beans".  Don't know if they still do this, but the bags at the Virginia Tech Bookstore were proudly labeled "Hokie Poke" (which certainly violates this rule, unless you connived the clerk into letting you bag "that there T-shirt" yourself).

ZLoth

Two weeks ago, I transferred the Texas registration/title of my mother's car over to me. Today is when the deluge of "customer service offers" start deluging my mail box and go straight to my recycle bin.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

JayhawkCO

I'm aware this will be very specific to me, but it's annoying nonetheless and feel like venting.

When I travel to India this summer, I have an overnight layover in Dhaka, Bangladesh. I get in at 01:30 and my flight leaves at 12:55. So, I'd like to get a hotel and be able to sleep. Bangladesh offers a visa on arrival for $51, but apparently it takes a while (cutting down on my sleeping time) and they are prone to denying requests for it. So, I'd like to maybe get the visa ahead of time, but they only offer 1-5 year visas for $160 when you do it in advance. So, I'm stuck either risking not being able to enter the country and being stuck at the airport or I have to shell out an extra $109. I hate beauracracy.

abefroman329

And that's the downside to traveling to another country: You're playing by their rules.

kphoger

Do you have to surrender the visa when you leave the country?  If not, do you get to choose how long the visa is for?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

TheHighwayMan3561

Oh, cry me a bayyyyyyg of tears, KP. :)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2023, 02:25:24 PM
Do you have to surrender the visa when you leave the country?  If not, do you get to choose how long the visa is for?

Nope, the visa will be stuck in my passport. I'm not sure if I'd get a choice of the length of validity. That said, it won't matter. Bangladesh is one of those countries I have zero interest in doing anything other than visiting to say I was there. I am 99% certain that this will be my one and only visit to the country. I very well might be traveling to India more coming up as I am getting promoted at work and taking over a team in Bangalore as part of my responsibilities, but will not feel the need for further side trips.

J N Winkler

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 13, 2023, 02:20:35 PMWhen I travel to India this summer, I have an overnight layover in Dhaka, Bangladesh. I get in at 01:30 and my flight leaves at 12:55. So, I'd like to get a hotel and be able to sleep. Bangladesh offers a visa on arrival for $51, but apparently it takes a while (cutting down on my sleeping time) and they are prone to denying requests for it. So, I'd like to maybe get the visa ahead of time, but they only offer 1-5 year visas for $160 when you do it in advance. So, I'm stuck either risking not being able to enter the country and being stuck at the airport or I have to shell out an extra $109. I hate bureaucracy.

In this situation I think I'd just wing it and try visa-on-arrival since you are in effect, though not technically, a transit passenger.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 13, 2023, 03:16:34 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 13, 2023, 02:20:35 PMWhen I travel to India this summer, I have an overnight layover in Dhaka, Bangladesh. I get in at 01:30 and my flight leaves at 12:55. So, I'd like to get a hotel and be able to sleep. Bangladesh offers a visa on arrival for $51, but apparently it takes a while (cutting down on my sleeping time) and they are prone to denying requests for it. So, I'd like to maybe get the visa ahead of time, but they only offer 1-5 year visas for $160 when you do it in advance. So, I'm stuck either risking not being able to enter the country and being stuck at the airport or I have to shell out an extra $109. I hate bureaucracy.

In this situation I think I'd just wing it and try visa-on-arrival since you are in effect, though not technically, a transit passenger.

That's what I'm going to do. I'm flying business class and the (crappy) lounge is open 24h, so I'll have a place to relax if nothing else. But I'd like to a) get a passport stamp, b) see something of the city, and c) get a good night's sleep, as best I can when dealing with massive time changes. Dhaka is not a traveler's paradise with terrible traffic and only a few sites, but I'd like to at least get a pic for the proverbial 'gram.

1995hoo

Excessive germophobia. My brother-in-law makes his daughter change clothes as soon as she gets home from school so that he can wash her germ-covered clothes immediately. (Today she refused to do so and he threatened to confiscate her mobile phone and disable service.) He also refused to ride in our rental Tesla because it's not sanitized by wiping every surface every day with 409. Very nice guy and we all know he thinks he's doing the right thing to keep his family healthy, but he's driving them all nuts.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Removing germs from a child's environment is not setting that child up for good health.  It's setting her up for an adulthood of not being immune to anything.
Male pronouns, please.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 13, 2023, 05:43:31 PM
Excessive germophobia. My brother-in-law makes his daughter change clothes as soon as she gets home from school so that he can wash her germ-covered clothes immediately. (Today she refused to do so and he threatened to confiscate her mobile phone and disable service.) He also refused to ride in our rental Tesla because it's not sanitized by wiping every surface every day with 409. Very nice guy and we all know he thinks he's doing the right thing to keep his family healthy, but he's driving them all nuts.

Psychological child abuse.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2023, 05:46:15 PM
Removing germs from a child's environment is not setting that child up for good health.  It's setting her up for an adulthood of not being immune to anything.

Plus she's 17.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

We live less than two miles from a Jimmy John's.  They don't deliver to our area.  And they don't work with Uber, Grubhub, or DoorDash.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

It bothers you that you can't have Jimmy John's delivered to you?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 13, 2023, 06:14:24 PM

Can't freak over delivery that isn't offered. 

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 13, 2023, 06:14:24 PM

It bothers me only because it's so close to our house.  If we lived halfway across town, I'd understand, but we don't.

And actually, we just noticed that the delivery services we've been using have all increased their prices.  So we've decided to just not use them anymore.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

For reference:  https://goo.gl/maps/HNco5igvnuVAvNyL7

We're within 3 miles' driving distance of two different locations, and neither one delivers here.

My wife has been knocked flat by an awful head cold lately, just had the fever break last night, and she's craving Jimmy John's but doesn't yet feel like going out.
Male pronouns, please.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2023, 06:22:49 PM
For reference:  https://goo.gl/maps/HNco5igvnuVAvNyL7

We're within 3 miles' driving distance of two different locations, and neither one delivers here.

My wife has been knocked flat by an awful head cold lately, just had the fever break last night, and she's craving Jimmy John's but doesn't yet feel like going out.

This is where I would have been sent to pick it up to-go and bring it back.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.