News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on January 13, 2023, 06:33:49 PM
This is where I would have been sent to pick it up to-go and bring it back.

We're both going.  Our youngest is tagging along too.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2023, 06:22:49 PMMy wife has been knocked flat by an awful head cold lately, just had the fever break last night, and she's craving Jimmy John's but doesn't yet feel like going out.

Have you tested to be sure this cold isn't actually covid?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 13, 2023, 06:17:29 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on January 13, 2023, 06:14:24 PM
It bothers you that you can't have Jimmy John's delivered to you?

It bothers me only because it's so close to our house.  If we lived halfway across town, I'd understand, but we don't.

And actually, we just noticed that the delivery services we've been using have all increased their prices.  So we've decided to just not use them anymore.
See, the joke I was trying to make was "why would you want it delivered to you, their food is awful."

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 13, 2023, 06:16:32 PM

Can't freak over delivery that isn't offered.

Jimmy John's wouldn't really be worth eating it it was delivered free of charge to you. It and Subway are the same, in my book. I had Jimmy John's once and found it to be overpriced for what you get.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on January 14, 2023, 09:20:46 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 13, 2023, 06:16:32 PM

Can't freak over delivery that isn't offered.

Jimmy John's wouldn't really be worth eating it it was delivered free of charge to you. It and Subway are the same, in my book. I had Jimmy John's once and found it to be overpriced for what you get.

All the same, on a super busy work day at the office the delivery was very welcome and didn't require I stop what I doing. 

jakeroot

Last night, I ordered delivery. I ordered the food at 19:05; it was delivered at 19:40. That was the longest I've ever had to wait for delivery. Normally it's delivered within 20 to 30 minutes. I ordered ice cream (Blue Seal) the other day, and it was delivered 15 minutes later. It was still perfectly frozen.

That wasn't a minor thing that bothered me, but it reminds me of a minor thing that bothers me in the US: the incredible amount of time it takes for food to be delivered in North America.

I trace it back to simple road rules. 100% of deliveries here in Japan are via scooters/mopeds, who can slip through traffic and make incredible time. Outside of California, this is not legal in the US, so most deliveries are using passenger cars, which take forever to park at both restaurants and destinations, and have to sit in traffic between the two places. Stupidly inefficient.

Most things are close-together in Japan, which also helps a ton, of course. But even in US cities, where most things are also close together, you still don't see scooter deliveries. Not often, anyways. And in fact, parking is even harder in these areas. At least a scooter/moped can just be parked on the sidewalk.

tchafe1978

I'm glad I live in a small town out in the sticks and don't have to worry about food delivery being slow or late. If I want something from a local establishment, I have to suck up my pride and go out and get it!

Scott5114

Quote from: tchafe1978 on January 15, 2023, 12:08:20 AM
I'm glad I live in a small town out in the sticks and don't have to worry about food delivery being slow or late. If I want something from a local establishment, I have to suck up my pride and go out and get it!

"I'm glad if I order food it never comes."
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 15, 2023, 01:41:04 AM

I might order in food once a year. I prefer to pick it up myself.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: formulanone on January 16, 2023, 09:19:18 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on January 15, 2023, 01:41:04 AM

I might order in food once a year. I prefer to pick it up myself.

I feel it gives me more control over the experience to just go get it myself. I can make sure the order is right before I leave the store, and my food won't get cold or degrade in quality by sitting in the heater for however long it takes the driver to make the deliveries in front of them.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JoePCool14

The one time I remember ordering food that wasn't pizza, it never showed up. I prefer to just go and get it.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

When threads get locked before you can post to them.

I had a couple of good entries for the "things you think are scams" thread but I see it got locked sometime between last night and tonight.

My contributions were going to be "organic" and "non-GMO" foods.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on January 16, 2023, 09:16:00 PM

I had a couple of good entries for the "things you think are scams" thread but I see it got locked sometime between last night and tonight.

I support unlocking after a short time, although the lock reason didn't seem to indicate that it was temporary. I would have approved a 24-hour lock on that thread but not a permanent one.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

J N Winkler

Setting up Evernote on my new phone--of course it's the latest version of the app, so I have no idea how to find anything in it.

Popup says:  "Are you happy using Evernote?  Yes/No"

I click "No."

New popup:  "What can we do to make it better?"

I type:  "Keep it simple, like it was five years ago."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on January 16, 2023, 09:18:06 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 16, 2023, 09:16:00 PM

I support unlocking after a short time, although the lock reason didn't seem to indicate that it was temporary. I would have approved a 24-hour lock on that thread but not a permanent one.

You guys started discussing the "C"  word.  That seems to be a sure fire way to lock any thread down nowadays.

ZLoth

Quote from: hbelkins on January 14, 2023, 09:20:46 PMJimmy John's wouldn't really be worth eating it it was delivered free of charge to you. It and Subway are the same, in my book. I had Jimmy John's once and found it to be overpriced for what you get.

Hmmmm.... from my location:

• Jersey Mike's Subs - 1.0 miles
  • Subway - 2.2 miles
  • McAlister's Deli - 3.1 miles
  • Potbelly - 4.0 miles
  • Firehouse Subs - 4.3 miles (Because of frontage road, it's further than Potbelly
I like Firehouse Subs, but that subjective. Tell me how you would rank those sandwich shops. Also, I save food delivery for extreme situations.

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 16, 2023, 09:52:13 PMSetting up Evernote on my new phone--of course it's the latest version of the app, so I have no idea how to find anything in it.

What makes it better than Google Keep (free) or OneNote (included with Office 365 subscription)?
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 16, 2023, 09:52:13 PM
Setting up Evernote on my new phone--of course it's the latest version of the app, so I have no idea how to find anything in it.

Popup says:  "Are you happy using Evernote?  Yes/No"

I click "No."

New popup:  "What can we do to make it better?"

I type:  "Keep it simple, like it was five years ago."

I've never used Evernote, but I use a competing notes app called Joplin (named after the musician, not the Missouri city) that has a tolerable level of complexity. It has Evernote import capability, although setting up syncing requires either paying the Joplin devs for storage space or using an intermediary file-storage service like Nextcloud, so I haven't bothered just yet (it cannot sync via Google Drive owing to Google's non-free API).

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 16, 2023, 10:02:03 PM
You guys started discussing the "C"  word.  That seems to be a sure fire way to lock any thread down nowadays.

Yup. I don't want the forum to become a bastion of misinformation, and I don't want to have to spend the mental overhead deciding which posts are okay and which aren't, either. So a lock is the best solution.

The thread in question was nothing more than a more contentious version of this one anyway. Hearing about people's little petty gripes is fun. Hearing about people's culture war grievances is not.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

abefroman329

(1) Potbelly
(2) Subway
(3) Firehouse
(4) McAlister's

I haven't had Jersey Mike's.

The best regional sandwich shops are (well, were) Taylor Gourmet and Capriotti's, but my favorite nationwide chain is Jason's Deli.

J N Winkler

Quote from: ZLoth on January 16, 2023, 10:09:39 PMWhat makes it better than Google Keep (free) or OneNote (included with Office 365 subscription)?

I haven't tried either of those.  They both strike me at first glance as digital sticky-notes, though Google Keep apparently has the capability to share notes and accept edits to them from multiple users, so (as Google notes in its ad copy) a family can maintain a grocery list and then, at the supermarket, the individual members can mark off items as they pull them off the shelves.

The two things I like most about Evernote is that I can group notes into notebooks and use cloud integration to export the entire collection of notes to my hard drive as part of nightly backup.

I have also tried iA Writer on an Android tablet, but have not rolled it over to my phone.  It saves each note as an individual file in the device's internal storage (or SD card if present) rather than writing it to a database, but since it grabs the first line of text to use as the filename instead of prompting for it, it is awkward to use when I want to display text to someone else and have that be content only rather than title plus content.  For example, if I go to Taco Shop to pick up a chicken taco salad, iA Writer would want me to write it as

Taco Shop order

To go, please:

Chicken taco salad with hot salsa

to save under filename Taco Shop order.md, rather than just

To go, please:

Chicken taco salad with hot salsa

which would likely overwrite other note(s) that use "To go, please" as the first line.

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 16, 2023, 10:15:52 PMI've never used Evernote, but I use a competing notes app called Joplin (named after the musician, not the Missouri city) that has a tolerable level of complexity. It has Evernote import capability, although setting up syncing requires either paying the Joplin devs for storage space or using an intermediary file-storage service like Nextcloud, so I haven't bothered just yet (it cannot sync via Google Drive owing to Google's non-free API).

I'll do a little more digging and see if Joplin might be a viable solution--I'm not willing to buy a subscription and Evernote has been getting more stingy about what it offers for free.  (The two-device limit on syncing for free accounts is one reason I dabbled with iA Writer on the tablet.)  Joplin apparently offers syncing with OneDrive, though I would still need to figure out how to get from that to a locally stored backup image via script.

JoePCool14

I also think the thread should be unlocked. Maybe COVID should just be added to the rules as a banned topic. You post about it, your post gets removed.

So you're saying we can use COVID to get MMM's thread shut down?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 17, 2023, 09:20:36 AM
I also think the thread should be unlocked. Maybe COVID should just be added to the rules as a banned topic. You post about it, your post gets removed.

So you're saying we can use COVID to get MMM's thread shut down?

I suggest we give the Giant of Babil Omicron and kick him over with a helicopter grapple hook.

abefroman329

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 17, 2023, 09:20:36 AMMaybe COVID should just be added to the rules as a banned topic. You post about it, your post gets removed.
Considering the pants-shitting that occurs every time a topic is banned or frowned upon, I do not think that would be a popular decision.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 17, 2023, 03:56:06 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 17, 2023, 09:20:36 AMMaybe COVID should just be added to the rules as a banned topic. You post about it, your post gets removed.
Considering the pants-shitting that occurs every time a topic is banned or frowned upon, I do not think that would be a popular decision.

I'd be in favor of such a measure.  The topic brought out a lot of ugliness on the forum that really probably ought not be repeated.  We talk about it in an off forum road group fairly often, but that's a bunch of us that have known each other for years.  Disagreement tends to be far more civil amongst people who actually know each other.

kkt

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 17, 2023, 03:56:06 PM

Popularity is overrated.

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 17, 2023, 04:01:51 PMDisagreement tends to be far more civil amongst people who actually know each other.
Hypothetical question unrelated to COVID and not directed at anyone in particular: Is it possible to hold a belief so abhorrent, it doesn't matter how civil you're being by advocating for it?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.