News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

interstatefan990

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on February 16, 2023, 06:38:15 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 16, 2023, 12:32:43 AM
Maybe slightly more than minor, but cars with running lights so bright their idiot owners don't realize those aren't the headlights, and no one can see them coming up behind them because their tail lights aren't on.
Somewhat related: how many headlights do you need? My car has two, and I can see just fine. I just bought a Kia with foglights in the ... bumper? but I've turned them off because, how often does it ever get foggy here?

If you lift the truck (for whatever reason you lift your truck) you have to re-aim the lights. No one (at least here) does this.

Also annoying is the trend among some automakers of putting the low beams and brights (and maybe turn signals too) all into one assembly, and then the daytime running lights on their own above that. Like this: https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/2022-hyundai-santa-fe-xrt-105-1627923527.jpg

It's ugly as all hell in my opinion.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

mgk920

Quote from: kirbykart on February 16, 2023, 09:31:08 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on February 15, 2023, 06:57:07 PM

the dip of the accumulation is placed there and wierd - coincidently the portion - Grant County is managed by NWS La Cross (while Dubuque County (in a warning) is managed by NWS Quad Cities and the forecasting of the counties east of Grant are overseen by NWS Milwaukee/Sullivan.  They all do their own predictions and you can see in other maps a difference between each forecast office.

image lifted from a limited term https://www.weather.gov/images/arx/wxstory/Tab2FileL.png?1ada9216c48e34fdd4ebce8c9ac8a198

That dropoff is crazy. I thought I was looking at the Long Island Sound and Connecticut's northern shore at first!

Cloudy, some light drizzle, just below freezing here (Appleton, WI).

Mike

J N Winkler

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 16, 2023, 10:11:54 AMImgur sucks now. I literally can't crop anymore, it won't load.

Are you using Windows 10 or later?  If so, would the snip tool work?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 16, 2023, 01:04:14 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 16, 2023, 10:11:54 AMImgur sucks now. I literally can't crop anymore, it won't load.

Are you using Windows 10 or later?  If so, would the snip tool work?
Yeah I snip on windows proper.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

interstatefan990

I'm not sure about Windows, but I like how on Mac it lets you snip instantly after taking a screenshot before it's saved to your computer.

ZLoth

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 16, 2023, 04:54:19 PM
I'm not sure about Windows, but I like how on Mac it lets you snip instantly after taking a screenshot before it's saved to your computer.

Anyone who is utilizing Windows should seriously look at ShareX which is an excellent screen capturing program, including capturing regions. Much better than the Windows Snipping Tool that is now included in Windows.

Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

wanderer2575

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 16, 2023, 12:48:30 PM
Also annoying is the trend among some automakers of putting the low beams and brights (and maybe turn signals too) all into one assembly, and then the daytime running lights on their own above that. Like this: https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod/images/2022-hyundai-santa-fe-xrt-105-1627923527.jpg

Sort of opposite of that is where the running lights and turn signals are the same, or very close to each other, so the one running light goes out when the turn signal is on.  I very much dislike that look.

[old geezer voice] It all went downhill when running lights stopped being a functional item and became a design "feature." [/old geezer voice]

zachary_amaryllis

Maybe slightly more than minor, but cars with running lights so bright their idiot owners don't realize those aren't the headlights, and no one can see them coming up behind them because their tail lights aren't on.
Somewhat related: how many headlights do you need? My car has two, and I can see just fine. I just bought a Kia with foglights in the ... bumper? but I've turned them off because, how often does it ever get foggy here?

If you lift the truck (for whatever reason you lift your truck) you have to re-aim the lights. No one (at least here) does this.

Many of these cars just look 'angry', and I'm guessing that's by design.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Big John

interstatefan990

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on February 17, 2023, 07:02:55 PM

Many of these cars just look 'angry', and I'm guessing that's by design.

This is the RIGHT way to do an 'angry' looking car:

J N Winkler

Today's minor thing:  PDFs printed N-up.  It takes some doing to go from pages that look like this (A3 size):

To pages that look like this (A5 size):

This is especially true when the page images are printed with a horizontal or vertical offset (e.g., to leave a binding allowance along one edge of the sheet), so that measurements have to be taken to a fixed point in each image (e.g., a header or footer) in order to allow page registration to be preserved when the N-up printing is undone.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ZLoth

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 16, 2023, 04:17:41 AMI would be perfectly happy having an option that was "perform updates at 9 am every Monday" (or whatever) set by default. But I have to be able to configure the time and day. And it must update only at that time. No foisting an update on me because I had the computer off at the appointed time and just now turned it on. And it must be cancellable if I need the computer for something else during the appointed time. And it cannot force a reboot. (If your system requires a reboot to apply an update, then either your system architecture isn't modular enough or your update process is broken or both.)

Tell that to my TrueNAS server which, at it's core, utilizes FreeBSD as it's core operating system (uptime: 50 days as of this writing) and has to be rebooted whenever a new upgrade to TrueNAS comes out. Or to my Android 13 phone which utilizes a modified version of the Linux kernal whenever a monthly update comes up.

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 16, 2023, 04:17:41 AMThe most-recently-purchased Windows computer I own is a crappy Toshiba that I set up to dual boot Windows 10 and Fedora Linux. I spent the majority of time using the machine booted into Linux, and would infrequently boot into Windows to use two specific pieces of software: controller software for my vinyl cutter and, most critically, Doppler radar software that I use as the primary means to track tornadic storms near my house. Given how infrequently I used the Windows install, it never got updates, which meant it would ambush me the second I turned it on and install several months of them over the course of an hour or so. This was less than ideal, because, you know, TORNADO MAYBE HITTING MY HOUSE WITHOUT ME KNOWING.

I suppose that it's little consolidation to you to know that, looking at the tornado averages from 2018-2022 and adjusting them per 10,000 square miles, that Mississippi is the number one state, Florida is number 12, Arkansas is number 16, Kansas is number 18, Oklahoma is number 22, and Texas is number 29.

If you listen to the experts, you should be getting your weather information from multiple sources. If there is a Tornado watch in my neighborhood, I have my SAME radio at the ready, staring at RadarScope and Real Time Lightning Maps, and have the Texas Storm Chasers up on YouTube. Yes, I do have my USB battery packs at the ready. Ah, the joys of living in the mid-West. At least Collin County has, at the most, three tornadoes on record per calendar year, and that last occurred in 2015.

thspfc

Tornadoes here are comparatively rare, but when they happen, the storm is nasty enough to attract attention to the weather without electronic devices making loud noises. That's probably why storm chasers hate coming here - no potential for pretty shots of a dusty tornado illuminated by sunlight. All you can see here is rain.

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on February 18, 2023, 04:36:42 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 16, 2023, 04:17:41 AMI would be perfectly happy having an option that was "perform updates at 9 am every Monday" (or whatever) set by default. But I have to be able to configure the time and day. And it must update only at that time. No foisting an update on me because I had the computer off at the appointed time and just now turned it on. And it must be cancellable if I need the computer for something else during the appointed time. And it cannot force a reboot. (If your system requires a reboot to apply an update, then either your system architecture isn't modular enough or your update process is broken or both.)

Tell that to my TrueNAS server which, at it's core, utilizes FreeBSD as it's core operating system (uptime: 50 days as of this writing) and has to be rebooted whenever a new upgrade to TrueNAS comes out. Or to my Android 13 phone which utilizes a modified version of the Linux kernal whenever a monthly update comes up.

The only time you ever need to actually reboot a Unix server is whenever there are kernel upgrades, since that is the only part of the system that can't be hotswapped. Either TrueNAS is pushing you way too many kernel module upgrades, their documentation wants you to reboot when you really don't have to because that's simpler to explain, or they've horribly botched their upgrade management process.

I've run an entire Apache/MySQL/PHP stack for multiple months without a full system reboot, so there should be no reason a piddly NAS server requires one.

Android, meanwhile, is horribly botched in a multitude of ways. It may have a Unix kernel underneath it but it's had so much capitalist bloatware layered on top of it, it may as well not be Unix anymore. It certainly doesn't act like Unix anymore. It's somehow better than iOS, but it's so displeasing to use I try to avoid doing anything on a mobile device unless there's no other option.

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 16, 2023, 04:17:41 AM
I suppose that it's little consolidation to you to know that, looking at the tornado averages from 2018-2022 and adjusting them per 10,000 square miles, that Mississippi is the number one state, Florida is number 12, Arkansas is number 16, Kansas is number 18, Oklahoma is number 22, and Texas is number 29.

I'm guessing since you moved from California, you have yet to have the sirens go off and had to run to the tornado shelter (or worse the lowest floor/smallest room/center part) and huddle there while you hear the wind and rain beating against the roof, because the thought running through your head is never "Oh well, if I look at the tornado averages and adjust them per square mile, Mississippi has it worse."
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 18, 2023, 07:01:34 PM..."Oh well, if I look at the tornado averages and adjust them per square mile, Mississippi has it worse."

Living in Alabama, Mississippi is our canary in the tornado mines.

J N Winkler

Quote from: ZLoth on February 16, 2023, 04:00:57 AM. . . and integrating their identity management servers (including diagnosing SAML assertions) . . .

This is just a side observation, but my heart sinks whenever I open Firefox's network tool and see SAML assertions as part of a login--I've never been able to script autologin successfully when those are involved.

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 16, 2023, 04:17:41 AMI tried a few times to manually force it to update a day in advance when tornadoes were in the forecast, but somehow it still would find an update right when the storms started.

I can't speak for how things might have been in the early days of Windows 10, but the strategy of forcing it to update a day in advance would work well now.  The key is to go back to Windows Update immediately after reboot, check for updates again (there usually aren't any), and then go to Advanced Options to postpone updates for 35 days.

ZLoth

Quote from: formulanone on February 18, 2023, 07:26:34 PMLiving in Alabama, Mississippi is our canary in the tornado mines.

The 2018-2022 average says 16.022 tornadoes per 10k square miles for number 3 Louisiana, 17.419 tornadoes per 10k square miles in number 2 Alabama, and 25.962 per 10k square miles in number 1 Mississippi.

In fact, when I look at the raw numbers unadjusted for land area. Mississippi beat out Texas in 2020 and 2022 according to the NOAA's Storm Prediction Center. I really need to download those tables, put those in a SQL database, and use that as a learning project. One of these days, I'll create that dedicated virtualization machine and re-setup my ISPConfig.

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 16, 2023, 04:17:41 AMI'm guessing since you moved from California, you have yet to have the sirens go off and had to run to the tornado shelter (or worse the lowest floor/smallest room/center part) and huddle there while you hear the wind and rain beating against the roof, because the thought running through your head is never "Oh well, if I look at the tornado averages and adjust them per square mile, Mississippi has it worse."

Sunday, October 20th, 2019. While the Cowboys were hosting the Eagles on Sunday Night Football, a tornado hit the southern part of Richardson near the I-635 and headed into nearby Garland. Here is the NWS Tornado Warning.

So, lets see here... my SAME radio and our mobile phones went off during this time, causing us to huddle in the central bathroom during this time. We were watching the local TV coverage through DirecTV Stream on one phone while having Texas Storm Chasers on another tablet, plus RadarScope on my phone. The next day, I found a roof shingle in my pool while my neighbor found a rototiller between her home and her neighbor's home. There was another warning on March 21st, 2022, but no touchdown.

Just because California rarely has tornadoes doesn't mean that this ex-Californian doesn't have a healthy respect of them... quite the opposite. I've gone to a NWS Skywarn class in 2020 and found it fascinating, including a detailed analysis of what happened "behind the scenes" on October 20th, 2019 including internal conversations with the NWS and the DFW news meterologists, although I won't be one of those "storm chasers" (I leave that to television and YouTubers). If there is a forecast of severe thunderstorms in the forecast, I pay attention because those can lead to tornadoes, and is a good excuse to ensure that my bug-out bag ready.

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 18, 2023, 07:01:34 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on February 18, 2023, 04:36:42 PMTell that to my TrueNAS server which, at it's core, utilizes FreeBSD as it's core operating system (uptime: 50 days as of this writing) and has to be rebooted whenever a new upgrade to TrueNAS comes out. Or to my Android 13 phone which utilizes a modified version of the Linux kernal whenever a monthly update comes up.

The only time you ever need to actually reboot a Unix server is whenever there are kernel upgrades, since that is the only part of the system that can't be hotswapped. Either TrueNAS is pushing you way too many kernel module upgrades, their documentation wants you to reboot when you really don't have to because that's simpler to explain, or they've horribly botched their upgrade management process.

I've run an entire Apache/MySQL/PHP stack for multiple months without a full system reboot, so there should be no reason a piddly NAS server requires one.

You can review the release notes for TrueNas and then tell me. Also, tell me what you don't consider a "piddly NAS server".

ZLoth

Just as a followup on this...

Quote from: ZLoth on January 29, 2023, 10:04:19 PM

Both of these requests were soundly rejected by the author of KeePass even through both would be usability improvement. In fact, the fact that a number isn't always generated is "by design" which has me going "what???" as most of the sites require at least a digit. I should know, I've only had to reset at least 275 passwords in my collection.

And, this is where I also discover that KeePass does have a way to generate OTP based upon a secret key.... provided that secret key DOESN'T have spaces. Yay, another feature request.

WillWeaverRVA

Poiponen13. He makes the forum downright infuriating to read.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

GaryV

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 21, 2023, 02:15:06 PM

I'm not sure he's a minor. He only acts like a middle school kid.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 21, 2023, 02:15:06 PM
Same with MMM. Although at least MMM provides entertainment. Poiponen is just annoying.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MultiMillionMiler

P13 does have quite alot of topics I have to admit.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 21, 2023, 04:16:40 PM
P13 does have quite alot of topics I have to admit.
You have less topics because they are all forced into your megathread.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 21, 2023, 06:52:05 PM
Yeah but I didn't even start that one. And I've only started 13 before that.
You've certainly made it your own however.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.