News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on February 24, 2023, 08:50:17 PM
Icebreakers/group activities at conferences, meetings, or trainings.

Had a meeting today that involved one of those, and I found it to be a waste of time. If introductions are necessary, just go around the room and let people announce their names, titles, etc. Don't play some silly game before the gist of the event gets started.
I also hate icebreakers. Unless they are super brief.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MultiMillionMiler

Gmail security verifications. They get so annoying making you sign in a million times and sending you codes from different devices, that even if I wasn't the one who signed in last time, I'd probably click "yes it was me" anyway just so I can login normally next time, totally defeating the purpose of it LOL

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 24, 2023, 10:58:26 PM
Gmail security verifications. They get so annoying making you sign in a million times and sending you codes from different devices, that even if I wasn't the one who signed in last time, I'd probably click "yes it was me" anyway just so I can login normally next time, totally defeating the purpose of it LOL
You should want to get hacked. Maybe then you could give an excuse for some of your shit.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Hobart

This is gonna sound really weird and particular, but I hate it when there's one person who dominates a conversation. I'm really softspoken, so I feel like I'd be cutting someone off if I started talking in the middle of them, but like... I have valuable and qualified things I would like to share with the world, please!

Then the subject changes, and everything I wanted to bring up is gone and irrelevant. It's like, some people don't understand that the whole point of a conversation is to talk with each other, rather than talk at someone. It hurts me way more than it should.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Hobart on February 25, 2023, 12:22:27 AM
This is gonna sound really weird and particular, but I hate it when there's one person who dominates a conversation. I'm really softspoken, so I feel like I'd be cutting someone off if I started talking in the middle of them, but like... I have valuable and qualified things I would like to share with the world, please!

Then the subject changes, and everything I wanted to bring up is gone and irrelevant. It's like, some people don't understand that the whole point of a conversation is to talk with each other, rather than talk at someone. It hurts me way more than it should.
You would hate me then. I'm very talkative and tend to dominate conversations. I'm trying to stop doing that however.

Scott5114

Keep one of these in your pocket.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 25, 2023, 12:29:52 AM
I'm very talkative and tend to dominate conversations. I'm trying to stop doing that however.

This doesn't surprise me considering your post history here. It seems like a lot of times you feel compelled to come up with a response to every post and thread you come across, even when you don't have much interesting to say. It may be wise to practice working on that behavior here, where it is comparatively easy to stifle the impulse to respond to everything. Once you have gotten it in check here, then you can transfer that skill to the real world.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 25, 2023, 12:29:52 AM

You would hate me then. I'm very talkative and tend to dominate conversations. I'm trying to stop doing that however.

It's not a bad thing to be very talkative!  The important thing is the mix.  Make sure there's some people who are talkative and some people who'd rather listen or just respond to a prompt.

ZLoth

This past Tuesday, I got home from my Tuesday morning Toastmasters meeting when my mother says her television isn't working. I think the backlight is broken because of four continuous years of playing Golden Girls and Ice Road Truckers. So, I gave her my old 50" barely-used television and ordered a new 55" for myself. It was originally scheduled for delivery on Sunday the 26th, but instead arrived on Friday, the 24th. I unpacked it this morning, had a neighbor help me hang it in my home office, peal off the plastic, and uh-oh, I see cracks. When I turn it on...

I don't know what bothers me more... the fact that Amazon can't process a "return-and-replace" until Monday because the original delivery date was tomorrow or the fact that I don't have the time or space to even attempt repairing the original television backlight. When I purchased the television originally, it was $320, and the new one is $290, so I know I'm contributing to the "it's disposable and not worth replacing" problem with these cheap televisions.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

hbelkins

A phrase that really gets under my skin is "beautiful inside and out." I've heard that phrase used to describe so many people and while I understand that it's meant to be highly complimentary, to me it's annoying. Very often, it's also not true. The person being described is frequently of average physical appearance and not really that nice of a person.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ZLoth

Quote from: ZLoth on February 19, 2023, 03:01:47 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 16, 2023, 04:17:41 AMI'm guessing since you moved from California, you have yet to have the sirens go off and had to run to the tornado shelter (or worse the lowest floor/smallest room/center part) and huddle there while you hear the wind and rain beating against the roof, because the thought running through your head is never "Oh well, if I look at the tornado averages and adjust them per square mile, Mississippi has it worse."

Sunday, October 20th, 2019. While the Cowboys were hosting the Eagles on Sunday Night Football, a tornado hit the southern part of Richardson near the I-635 and headed into nearby Garland.

I found some better maps:
If anything, moving to Texas has fueled my interest in weather as it's more interesting than it was in Sacramento.

vdeane

Meta Business Suite.  It's basically a second set of notifications for page management, which means it now takes a lot more clicks to clear the notifications.  What's wrong with the existing notifications system?  And why does Facebook continue to insist that all pages are a "business"?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on February 26, 2023, 02:01:04 PM
Meta Business Suite.  It's basically a second set of notifications for page management, which means it now takes a lot more clicks to clear the notifications.  What's wrong with the existing notifications system?  And why does Facebook continue to insist that all pages are a "business"?

What's worse than that is Facebook's insistence that pages be their own profile, instead of being managed from a personal profile. This is one place where I like the Business Suite app and site. I don't have to switch from my personal profile to the page's profile to post. I can just do it from the app or the browser.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SectorZ

I think I've brought this one up before, an athlete being called a "hero" for winning a sporting event for their team.

It went to extremes today when NESN's fill-in play-by-play guy did it a Spring training game where the Red Sox won on a game-winning single in the 9th inning.

JayhawkCO

When you log onto a website that has 2FA (two factor authentication) and when you get the code on your phone and you start typing it on the computer, only to realize that the designer of the webpage didn't make it so the cursor was ready to go in the text box. So, then you have to go back and look your phone again to remember the code, then click, and type. Annoying. Also, you shouldn't have to click submit. Plenty of webpages are able to tell when you have the requisite about of characters.

ZLoth

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 27, 2023, 10:54:50 AMWhen you log onto a website that has 2FA (two factor authentication) and when you get the code on your phone and you start typing it on the computer, only to realize that the designer of the webpage didn't make it so the cursor was ready to go in the text box. So, then you have to go back and look your phone again to remember the code, then click, and type. Annoying. Also, you shouldn't have to click submit. Plenty of webpages are able to tell when you have the requisite about of characters.

I've been using Authy for 2FA so that there is both a mobile and desktop app. Makes it easy for cutting/pasting the code. Although I do see the need for a Submit button in case you transposed the last two digits.

Scott5114

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 27, 2023, 10:54:50 AM
When you log onto a website that has 2FA (two factor authentication)

Could have just stopped there.

I know all of the supposed security benefits of it, but the whole procedure is horribly inaccessible to someone with ADHD. The usual procedure is:
- try to log in
- check email
- code isn't arrived yet. refresh a few times.
- get bored
- "While I'm waiting for it, I may as well check the forum/social media/news site"
- forget I requested the code
- "Wait, what was I doing earlier?"
- remember I was waiting on a code, go get it
- it's expired

hotdogPi

I usually receive the code within 15 seconds.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on February 27, 2023, 04:39:20 PM
I usually receive the code within 15 seconds.

That's long enough for me to get bored and wander off. (See why it's considered a disability/mental illness?)

Max Rockatansky

Interestingly when I last had a concussion during 2010, I had a lot of those "what was a doing" moments for about three months.  My Dad (who had ADHD) used to describe instances of something similar happening to him on the regular.  I'm still not sure how I was diagnosed with the same thing as a child, I don't recall that ever really happening to me (or at least not in a notable way).

Roadgeekteen

Doesn't your phone buzz when you get the code? It always does for me, at least for a text code.

1995hoo

If I log into an app or a website using my phone or iPad, and said app or website uses a text-message form of two-factor authentication, I can tap the box where I'm to enter the code, then wait for the code, and then when it comes my device will ask if I want to copy the code from the message. Makes it very easy. That sort of two-factor authentication is far from ideal and is not particularly secure, but for things like baking you don't have much choice because the banks refuse to use any system other than text-messaging you a code.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 27, 2023, 05:02:07 PM
Doesn't your phone buzz when you get the code? It always does for me, at least for a text code.

No, because Gmail typically categorizes those in the "updates" folder, which doesn't trigger a phone notification. (It's kind of a crapshoot whether I get email notifications or not, since I have three email accounts signed in on my phone and it seems like it only sends notifications for whichever one I checked on the phone most recently.)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 27, 2023, 07:48:41 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 27, 2023, 05:02:07 PM

No, because Gmail typically categorizes those in the "updates" folder, which doesn't trigger a phone notification. (It's kind of a crapshoot whether I get email notifications or not, since I have three email accounts signed in on my phone and it seems like it only sends notifications for whichever one I checked on the phone most recently.)
I mostly get Gmail verification code email notifications on my phone. Maybe it has to do with your settings.

wanderer2575

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 27, 2023, 04:38:18 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 27, 2023, 10:54:50 AM
When you log onto a website that has 2FA (two factor authentication)

Could have just stopped there.

I know all of the supposed security benefits of it, but the whole procedure is horribly inaccessible to someone with ADHD. The usual procedure is:
- try to log in
- check email
- code isn't arrived yet. refresh a few times.
- get bored
- "While I'm waiting for it, I may as well check the forum/social media/news site"
- forget I requested the code
- "Wait, what was I doing earlier?"
- remember I was waiting on a code, go get it
- it's expired

I am now doing some corporate banking transactions for my current employer, and the bank uses what I might call a "reverse 2FA" method.  They make use of a third-party app that generates a new random six-digit code every 60 seconds, discarding the previous code.  I had to do a one-time hoop-jumping exercise to register my smartphone and download the app to it, but now when I am logging into the bank's website I pull up the app on my phone to see the current code, and then enter it on the login screen along with my username and password.  I don't know whether this is any more or less secure than other methods, but I don't have to wait for a code or login verification to be pushed to me.

Scott5114

I've used that for something before. Don't remember what. It is a somewhat easier-to-navigate procedure.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.