News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

People immediately repeating a word/phrase that someone has expressed their dislike for, for no reason other than being intentionally annoying.

SSOWorld

Quote from: thspfc on April 16, 2023, 06:53:53 PM
People immediately repeating a word/phrase that someone has expressed their dislike for, for no reason other than being intentionally annoying.
You know?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

formulanone

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 14, 2023, 04:52:48 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2023, 04:19:55 PM
What I mean is... why wasn't the manager picking up the slack for the missing waitress?  Was the manager at another location? off work that day? helping in the kitchen?

Likely cooking. If they have problems in the front of house, it's assuredly worse in the back of the house where they make less money.

Yeah, my son wanted Cheddar's for dinner and the location we usually go to was quite understaffed that weekend, as it turned out. We peeked at the kitchen for about five minutes (because he was curious what it looked like back there and we realized we're going to wait 45-50 minutes for food). Credit where it was due; everyone from the greeter to the server and the rest of the kitchen were working their butts off and assisting, nobody was wasting a moment.

Despite a really messy store and the long waits, they got it all right and nothing was cold out of place. They even comped my son's meal (that might have been an error, we didn't ask for a discount). Usually, it's a comedy of errors when the store gets in that shape.

Alps

Woke

Scott5114

Quote from: Alps on April 16, 2023, 10:24:03 PM
Woke

"Woke" is just WP:IDONTLIKEIT for people that have never been on Wikipedia.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 16, 2023, 11:17:17 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 16, 2023, 10:24:03 PM
Woke

"Woke" is just WP:IDONTLIKEIT for people that have never been on Wikipedia.

"Woke" also challenges their concepts of status quo, but without actually losing their place in line (though everyone else tells them they'll lose and give up everything because of it).

whoops.

kphoger

Day 1:  "Updates are ready to be installed".  Close programs, install updates.
Day 3:  "Updates are ready to be installed".  Why didn't you do that the other day??????
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on April 16, 2023, 09:48:47 PM
Despite a really messy store and the long waits, they got it all right and nothing was cold out of place. They even comped my son's meal (that might have been an error, we didn't ask for a discount).

In my book, that deserves an even better tip than usual.  Even with a long wait, they did everything they could to make it right for you.  That's better service than just "normal".
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

Quote from: kphoger on April 17, 2023, 09:58:28 AM
Day 3:  "Updates are ready to be installed".  Why didn't you do that the other day??????

I get more irritated at which programs are being updated.  I'm sure I have plenty of ignorance on this but how can my PDF viewer and my timer/stopwatch and calculator phone apps need to be updated so frequently?  Does the file format or the length of a second or the conversion between ounces and grams keep changing?

hotdogPi

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 17, 2023, 10:17:49 AM

I get more irritated at which programs are being updated.  I'm sure I have plenty of ignorance on this but how can my PDF viewer and my timer/stopwatch and calculator phone apps need to be updated so frequently?  Does the file format or the length of a second or the conversion between ounces and grams keep changing?

Programming languages change. For example, the recent PHP 8.2 upgrade broke a lot of things including this forum's chat.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

ZLoth

Quote from: wanderer2575 on April 17, 2023, 10:17:49 AM

Is this on your computer or your mobile phone? I know that, on mobile devices, updates are staggered so that if an issue is discovered, it only affects a small percentage of users until a fix is rolled out. (I'm looking at pending updates, and Cync was last updated on February 17th while Tubi was last updated on March 29th. Yet, now, the updates are arriving even though I ran the update yesterday. :pan: )

As for an update on the PDF reader.... more than likely, you are downloading PDFs from external sources. It's likely that some hacker figured out how to get elevated privileges through an exploit in the PDF document, and the update closes that exploit. Or, some secure certificates were expiring in the near future, and needed to be updated.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on April 17, 2023, 09:58:28 AMDay 1:  "Updates are ready to be installed".  Close programs, install updates.

This is precisely why, on Windows, I do a check for further updates after installing an initial round of them, and when the system reports that there are none (as it usually does), I postpone updates for 35 days.

I also minimize the likelihood of the OS coming back for a "second helping" of updates by scheduling them (and related maintenance) for the end of the month.  If I do end up doing them mid-month, I try very hard to avoid the week after Patch Tuesday, which is the second Tuesday of the month.

Quote from: ZLoth on April 17, 2023, 11:23:33 AMAs for an update on the PDF reader.... more than likely, you are downloading PDFs from external sources. It's likely that some hacker figured out how to get elevated privileges through an exploit in the PDF document, and the update closes that exploit. Or, some secure certificates were expiring in the near future, and needed to be updated.

I have Foxit Reader (my workhorse) set not to update automatically.  Maybe once a month or so, it prompts me to allow it to update certificates.  The "new version available" dialog box pops up at much longer intervals.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mgk920

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 16, 2023, 03:36:11 PM
That all men's shower gel smells the same. It doesn't matter if it says Ocean Waves, Irish Spring, or Steaming Dog Pile on it. It all smells the same. It's why I normally buy women's gels.

Isn't the proper term for the stuff 'shampoo'?

Mike

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 17, 2023, 12:44:05 PM

This is precisely why, on Windows, I do a check for further updates after installing an initial round of them, and when the system reports that there are none (as it usually does), I postpone updates for 35 days.

I also minimize the likelihood of the OS coming back for a "second helping" of updates by scheduling them (and related maintenance) for the end of the month.  If I do end up doing them mid-month, I try very hard to avoid the week after Patch Tuesday, which is the second Tuesday of the month.

This latest one is actually MS Office, not Windows itself.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on April 17, 2023, 01:25:22 PMThis latest one is actually MS Office, not Windows itself.

As far as I can tell, the Patch Tuesday scheduling applies to all Microsoft products--including Office, Azure, etc. as well as Windows itself.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

Quote from: mgk920 on April 17, 2023, 12:56:05 PM
That all men's shower gel smells the same. It doesn't matter if it says Ocean Waves, Irish Spring, or Steaming Dog Pile on it. It all smells the same. It's why I normally buy women's gels.

Isn't the proper term for the stuff 'shampoo'?

Mike

I'm guessing in this case, body wash.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

thenetwork

Quote from: kphoger on April 17, 2023, 02:19:10 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 17, 2023, 02:08:41 PM
body wash

Isn't the proper term for the stuff 'shampoo'?  :biggrin:

Well, it IS a sham...There is no poo in body wash scents!

SSOWorld

Health and beauty products for women - 200+ varieties.  Men - 10.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

wanderer2575

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 18, 2023, 06:47:29 AM
Health and beauty products for women - 200+ varieties.  Men - 10.

Men don't want all the varieties (sweeping generalization, of course).  I remember a Zits cartoon sequence where Sara was talking about the umpteen bottles of shampoos and conditioners she had, each for a specific scenario.  She asked Jeremy what kind of shampoo he used and he replied "Yellow."

zachary_amaryllis

Most correctional facilities, sell the standard 'mens' deodorants, but many men by 'secret for women' because it smells better. Weird place to find that out.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kphoger

Quote from: thenetwork on April 17, 2023, 09:52:08 PM
Well, it IS a sham...There is no poo in body wash scents!

Correct.  It is artificially fragranced.
Male pronouns, please.

ZLoth

I received my property assessment this week and saw that the market value of my home has gone up 19% in the past year and 46.5% from two years ago. This means that the assessed value of my home, due to the filed Texas homestead exemption, is going up a full 10% for the second year in a row. This has the domino effect of my homeowner's insurance going up at the end of this year. As a result, the escrow portion of my mortgage is increasing so that the escrow payment is now slightly higher (almost $2) than what I pay in combined principal and interest.

Thank goodness I'm a homeowner, not a renter. Homestead exemptions only apply to principal residences, not rental properties, so the full brunt of that increased property tax will be passed along in increased rent. :pan:
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

abefroman329

Quote from: ZLoth on April 19, 2023, 09:17:58 AM
I received my property assessment this week and saw that the market value of my home has gone up 19% in the past year and 46.5% from two years ago. This means that the assessed value of my home, due to the filed Texas homestead exemption, is going up a full 10% for the second year in a row. This has the domino effect of my homeowner's insurance going up at the end of this year. As a result, the escrow portion of my mortgage is increasing so that the escrow payment is now slightly higher (almost $2) than what I pay in combined principal and interest.

Thank goodness I'm a homeowner, not a renter. Homestead exemptions only apply to principal residences, not rental properties, so the full brunt of that increased property tax will be passed along in increased rent. :pan:
Hey, the good news is, your home has appreciated by almost 50% from two years ago.  Mine has appreciated about the same over five years and, sure, property taxes will probably go up as a result, but it'll be nice to make at least $100K when it's time to sell.

kkt

Quote from: ZLoth on April 19, 2023, 09:17:58 AM

We don't have homestead exemptions, and that lack bothers me.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.