News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

When I was growing up, school in Fairfax County, Virginia, originally started the day after Labor Day (one year it started on Wednesday instead–I assume, in retrospect, maybe that Tuesday was Rosh Hashanah that year so they pushed it back, but I don't know). The schools were mostly not air-conditioned, so starting earlier was far from ideal, but sometime in the early 1980s they switched to starting the Monday before Labor Day. That only lasted a couple of years. In 1986, the General Assembly passed, and the governor signed, what became known as the "Kings Dominion Law"; it required schools to begin after Labor Day unless the school district applied for, and received, a waiver from the Department of Education in Richmond. (The name of the law reflected that the tourism industry was a major force pushing for its adoption because they didn't want to lose high-school-age labor, especially for lifeguard jobs.) That law was then repealed in 2019 and replaced with a new one that allows all school districts to open up to two weeks before Labor Day provided they allow a four-day Labor Day weekend.

When I was a kid, in the years when school started after Labor Day it usually ended around June 16 or so (assuming no makeup days for snow); when we started before Labor Day, school usually ended around June 6 or so (again same assumption). You would think they'd end even earlier than that with a start date two weeks before Labor Day, but that doesn't seem to be the case because apparently they get a lot more days off than we did. Some are understandable–at least here in Fairfax County (maybe not in rural parts of the state) they close for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur instead of just allowing Jewish kids an excused absence, for example. Beyond that, I have no idea what they've added, though I assume they may observe some other religions' holy days (like the end of Ramadan) out of a sense of fairness and not wanting to be perceived as favoring some groups over others.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

7/8

Quote from: webny99 on August 17, 2023, 06:16:59 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 09, 2023, 10:21:44 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on August 09, 2023, 11:39:06 AM
When did the first day of school move from "just after Labor Day" to "beginning of August"?

When you moved to Texas. First day of school being in early- to mid-August is just how the Plains does things.

I was similarly weirded out by the concept of the first day of school being around Labor Day when I was first exposed to the idea, since it was always in mid-August for me. Likewise, it's weird that other states' schools get out for the year sometime in June; in Oklahoma school normally lets out the week before Memorial Day.

The "minor thing that bothers me" about this is that it means Labor Day isn't a true "summer holiday" in the west/plains states, and Memorial Day isn't a true "summer holiday" in the eastern states. That means July 4th is the only summer holiday that's truly nationwide, which is pretty bizarre.

(By contrast, Canada has three true summer holidays [Canada Day, Civic Day, and Labor Day] plus an unofficial start of summer holiday [Victoria Day] and an unofficial end of summer holiday [Thanksgiving] which both occur during the school year.)

I agree that Victoria Day "May Two-Four" is the start of summer in Canada, even though schools don't finish until end of June. But I disagree that Thanksgiving is seen as the end of summer, that would be Labour Day. Thanksgiving is too far into fall weather.

Wouldn't Memorial Day function as the American start of summer (only one week after Victoria Day)?

mgk920

Quote from: 7/8 on August 18, 2023, 10:41:54 AM
When did the first day of school move from "just after Labor Day" to "beginning of August"?

When you moved to Texas. First day of school being in early- to mid-August is just how the Plains does things.

I was similarly weirded out by the concept of the first day of school being around Labor Day when I was first exposed to the idea, since it was always in mid-August for me. Likewise, it's weird that other states' schools get out for the year sometime in June; in Oklahoma school normally lets out the week before Memorial Day.

The "minor thing that bothers me" about this is that it means Labor Day isn't a true "summer holiday" in the west/plains states, and Memorial Day isn't a true "summer holiday" in the eastern states. That means July 4th is the only summer holiday that's truly nationwide, which is pretty bizarre.

(By contrast, Canada has three true summer holidays [Canada Day, Civic Day, and Labor Day] plus an unofficial start of summer holiday [Victoria Day] and an unofficial end of summer holiday [Thanksgiving] which both occur during the school year.)

I agree that Victoria Day "May Two-Four" is the start of summer in Canada, even though schools don't finish until end of June. But I disagree that Thanksgiving is seen as the end of summer, that would be Labour Day. Thanksgiving is too far into fall weather.

Wouldn't Memorial Day function as the American start of summer (only one week after Victoria Day)?

At least here in Wisconsin, Memorial Day has always been the first holiday of the summer season with Labor day being the bookend last fling of summer, also Independence Day being the 'mid-summer break'.  Further, Thanksgiving is the 'Start' of the winter holiday season (Christmas, New Years, etc).  Yes, I am thankful that the major retailers are starting to dial back on the post-Thanksgiving Friday maneuvers hoopla.  :nod:

Mike

hbelkins

I have all of those alerts disabled on my phone.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Notwithstanding the comment above about the East Coast, it has always been regarded as such around here (the media like to use the phrase "the unofficial start of summer"), primarily because most outdoor pools open for the season on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. I'm not sure how the pools in the public parks work in terms of hours, but most neighborhood pools have shorter weekday hours (late afternoon/evening only) between Memorial Day weekend and the last day of school, primarily because they often have high school kids working as lifeguards.

webny99

OK, correct me if I'm misguided here, but my understanding is that September is much like late May/June in terms of travel trends, where school is in session, but there is still some seasonal weekend travel with people going to cottages, lakes, parks, etc., and that continues through to Thanksgiving in early October, at a reduced level from the peak months of July/August.

The US holiday equivalent to Canadian Thanksgiving is Columbus Day, but it isn't widely recognized as a "long weekend"/ travel holiday for us like it is in Canada, although it is becoming slightly more so in recent years.

Unofficially, yes, but my point is that it's not consistent nationwide because of the varying end times to the school year.

Dough4872

I don't get why schools like to go back in the middle of summer in early August as opposed to after Labor Day. Even here in Pennsylvania, schools which traditionally started after Labor Day are starting to go back in late August now.  I feel with the earlier start times, schools are cutting summer short. I was wondering if there is a good reason schools are pushing to start earlier every year, the only one I was thinking of is to get out earlier in June.

kkt

In Seattle, K-12 schools start the Wednesday after Labor Day and go to about the 2nd week of June.

Socially and as far as weather on the East Coast (that became the definer of taste nationwide), summer is Memorial Day to Labor Day - that's when it's socially correct for women to wear white or pastels and white shoes, men to put away their wool suits and get out the linen or searsucker.  June is traditional for weddings, that ties in with being the first and most pleasant full month of summer.

Some educators believe the long summer break gives students too long to forget what they've learned and get out of the habit of studying.  I'm not saying they are right, just that it's a common belief.  On the plus side, the long break gives more time to work at a summer job or to take a long vacation that gets the most value out of your air fare.

vdeane

The fact that practically every company that has a "contact us" form requires you to enter all your information in even if you're signed in and they could just pull it from your account.  What is the point of signing in in the form acts as if you aren't?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Websites that insist on two-factor authentication but then also provide no means of setting up multiple sets of credentials to access the account.

My wife has a separate bank account that we deposit money in for her to use on discretionary spending. But because I was a customer of the bank before we got married, my contact information is on all of the accounts. So any time she wants to sign into her account she has to ask me for the 2FA code. There is no way to have her account send the codes to her and the main account to send the codes to me (I do the main finances like bills and such).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

One thing that irks me with multi-factor authentication is when banks insist that the only way to do this is via text-messaging you a code. If you're logging into their app via your mobile phone, text-messaging isn't all that secure of a means of authentication because someone who has your phone will receive the message regardless of whether it's you. When I log into my office VPN, for example, there is no way for me to receive a code on my PC. I either enter a six-digit code from an authenticator app on my phone, ask it for a push notification to my phone, or receive a text message.

roadman65

Paywalls on sites that you see have info you're looking for on Google. NJ.com is one that don't like readers who don't fill their bank accounts.

The NYTimes is another. Considering that AM Talk radio accuses them of being controlled by the Left, you think that they would not force the GP into paying for their articles to be read to prove them wrong.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GaryV

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 20, 2023, 11:45:13 PM
My wife has a separate bank account that we deposit money in for her to use on discretionary spending. But because I was a customer of the bank before we got married, my contact information is on all of the accounts.

Related, they then want to send all notifications (statements, etc.) by email instead of by mail. Which is fine, except they only give you the opportunity to send to one email address. Even if it's a joint account. That's not a problem as long as I'm alive and out of intensive care. But if I get hit by a bus ...

The same thing applies to credit cards, utility bills, all kinds of stuff.

ZLoth

Quote from: GaryV on August 21, 2023, 08:01:02 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 20, 2023, 11:45:13 PM
My wife has a separate bank account that we deposit money in for her to use on discretionary spending. But because I was a customer of the bank before we got married, my contact information is on all of the accounts.

Related, they then want to send all notifications (statements, etc.) by email instead of by mail. Which is fine, except they only give you the opportunity to send to one email address. Even if it's a joint account. That's not a problem as long as I'm alive and out of intensive care. But if I get hit by a bus ...

The same thing applies to credit cards, utility bills, all kinds of stuff.

You can set up a email forwarding rule where if it's from a certain email address, forward to another email address.

Also, what are you using as the 2FA authenticator? I use both 1Password and Authy.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

1995hoo

Not sure whether this falls more into things that bother me or things that mildly confuse me: People who don't understand the concept of assigned seats. I'm on a northbound Acela as I type this. All seats are assigned and your ticket has both a car number and a seat number (e.g., Car 2, Seat 4F). Invariably there are people who get on and just pick a seat that is assigned to someone else and then they act flabbergasted when they're told to move (Amtrak staff will also tell you to move if you're in the wrong train car). This should not be a surprise or confusing–why do these people think their tickets have car and seat numbers?

With that said, I also agree with my mom, who has complained that on occasion she's been in a largely empty movie theater with assigned seating and someone else insists on sitting right next to her because that's the assigned seat. If the show is about to begin and the theater is 85% empty (my mom likes weekday matinees), there's no reason to worry about seat assignments.

J N Winkler

New minor thing:  spam of this form:

QuoteJonathan,

Hope all is well.

We previously spoke regarding questions about how our services would align with your company's goals.

We didn't move forward at the time, but I have a note that you would be open to another conversation if considerable changes were made on our end.  Economic and compliance changes from the last few years demanded that we make changes to our pricing structure, partnerships, participation requirements, providers, etc. and I wanted to at least make you aware of them and see if we may align better in the future.

Do you have a few minutes to reconnect and share updates on Thursday afternoon?

Best,

Of course I've never spoken with the individual in question.  This ticked me off enough that I almost fired back to excoriate the sender for attempting to mislead.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wanderer2575

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 21, 2023, 10:24:55 AM
With that said, I also agree with my mom, who has complained that on occasion she's been in a largely empty movie theater with assigned seating and someone else insists on sitting right next to her because that's the assigned seat. If the show is about to begin and the theater is 85% empty (my mom likes weekday matinees), there's no reason to worry about seat assignments.

If all seats are the same price, I agree with your Mom.  But it bothers me when I pay a premium price for a better seat (at a symphony concert, for instance) and somebody with a lower-priced ticket for a less-desirable seat takes one in my section.

My wife and I once bought round-trip business-class tickets on the Amtrak Wolverine train.  On the late return trip back home, it was only us and maybe one other person in the business-class section.  At one point someone wandered in and took a seat.  It wasn't long before the conductor tossed him back out, and that did my heart good.

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 21, 2023, 01:12:37 PM

QuoteJonathan,

Hope all is well.

We previously spoke regarding questions about how our services would align with your company's goals.

We didn't move forward at the time, but I have a note that you would be open to another conversation if considerable changes were made on our end.  Economic and compliance changes from the last few years demanded that we make changes to our pricing structure, partnerships, participation requirements, providers, etc. and I wanted to at least make you aware of them and see if we may align better in the future.

Best,

Of course I've never spoken with the individual in question.  This ticked me off enough that I almost fired back to excoriate the sender for attempting to mislead.

Bothersome and technically misleading, but not any worse than "we've been trying to contact you about your vehicle's extended warranty."  No, you haven't, this is your first call unless I was on your robolist earlier.

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 21, 2023, 01:12:37 PM

QuoteJonathan,

Hope all is well.

Best,

I've seen this type of email before, but don't recall having received anything like this from a true first time sender. It's usually companies I've turned away in the past attempting to re-engage my interest, and I just delete (or junk/block) their emails.

ZLoth

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 21, 2023, 01:50:38 PM

If all seats are the same price, I agree with your Mom.  But it bothers me when I pay a premium price for a better seat (at a symphony concert, for instance) and somebody with a lower-priced ticket for a less-desirable seat takes one in my section.

My wife and I once bought round-trip business-class tickets on the Amtrak Wolverine train.  On the late return trip back home, it was only us and maybe one other person in the business-class section.  At one point someone wandered in and took a seat.  It wasn't long before the conductor tossed him back out, and that did my heart good.

In some cases, the problem exists between the chair and the hand holding the ticket. I attended a show a few years ago and sat down in what I thought was my seat. It turns out that each section had the lettering restarted, and I actually had better seats in a better section than what I thought I got.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

J N Winkler

Quote from: webny99 on August 21, 2023, 03:45:53 PMI've seen this type of email before, but don't recall having received anything like this from a true first time sender. It's usually companies I've turned away in the past attempting to re-engage my interest, and I just delete (or junk/block) their emails.

I know for dead sure that this is a first-time sender.  Because I am deaf, I don't get many phone calls to begin with, and I've certainly never had a conversation--either by telephone or in person--with anyone who introduced himself using the name the sender is using.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

webny99

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 21, 2023, 05:04:49 PM
Quote from: webny99 on August 21, 2023, 03:45:53 PMI've seen this type of email before, but don't recall having received anything like this from a true first time sender. It's usually companies I've turned away in the past attempting to re-engage my interest, and I just delete (or junk/block) their emails.

I know for dead sure that this is a first-time sender.  Because I am deaf, I don't get many phone calls to begin with, and I've certainly never had a conversation--either by telephone or in person--with anyone who introduced himself using the name the sender is using.

That's certainly an odd approach. Even aside from being false/misleading, it seems unlikely to fool anyone and likely to generate critical responses if any at all.

Scott5114

Such an approach seems to be predicated on the receiver getting such a high volume of messages that they don't remember the interaction and simply assume that the sender is speaking the truth. A similar tactic is known to be in use to gain access to company executives–go to HQ and say you have a meeting with so-and-so at such-and-such time and hope nobody checks the schedule (and if they do, merely insist that you talked on the phone to someone and they must have forgotten to put it on their schedule, hoping the low-level secretary who would be responsible for doing so will meekly agree in order to not appear incompetent).

I am always tempted to send them a message saying that they have been added to a company blacklist of firms whom we won't ever do business with, but restrain myself out of fear they will send the message to their fellows that a live human checks the email address and they are not being filtered.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 21, 2023, 06:38:57 PMSuch an approach seems to be predicated on the receiver getting such a high volume of messages that they don't remember the interaction and simply assume that the sender is speaking the truth. A similar tactic is known to be in use to gain access to company executives–go to HQ and say you have a meeting with so-and-so at such-and-such time and hope nobody checks the schedule (and if they do, merely insist that you talked on the phone to someone and they must have forgotten to put it on their schedule, hoping the low-level secretary who would be responsible for doing so will meekly agree in order to not appear incompetent).

That is what I suspect is going on here.  Thinking about it some more, however, I think there's an outside chance the sender (who claims to represent a HR firm) is actually trying to reach one of my doppelgangers, who works as a project manager in the Houston area.  His email username is of the format FirstnameMILastname (where MI = d), while mine is Firstname.Lastname.  Even if this is true, however, there is no guarantee the claimed prior contact occurred.

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 21, 2023, 06:38:57 PMI am always tempted to send them a message saying that they have been added to a company blacklist of firms whom we won't ever do business with, but restrain myself out of fear they will send the message to their fellows that a live human checks the email address and they are not being filtered.

That was also my motivation for not answering, though I did use the CAN-SPAM unsubscribe link.  (In the past I never clicked on them, but started doing so after experimentation showed it does cut recurring spam from legitimate sources.)

Scott5114

Having run a legitimate mailing list that included a CAN-SPAM link, I can confirm that the mailer does have incentive enough to take unsubscribe requests seriously–having people that don't want to be on the mailing list on it skews open and link-click statistics downward, and mailer services often base price tiers on the number of contacts on the list. They also don't want to be flagged as spam with the recipient's mail service provider–doing so makes it more likely their emails will be filtered or trashed before the recipient even sees them.

Illegitimate mailing lists generally don't even include the link.

1995hoo

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 21, 2023, 01:50:38 PM

Yes, absolutely, I agree with you completely on that. I was thinking of it in the movie context because that's what she mentioned and, other than the premium auditorium (Regal calls it "RPX" ), I can't say I've seen price-differentiated seating at movies. Sports, Broadway type shows, trains/planes, sure (I'll probably use an upgrade coupon to get into first class on the southbound Acela tomorrow).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.