Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: tmoore952 on October 13, 2023, 11:43:53 AM
Quote from: Rothman on October 12, 2023, 06:57:10 PM
Quote from: tmoore952 on October 12, 2023, 06:46:02 PM
Quote from: formulanone on October 12, 2023, 06:15:55 PM
Quote from: Rothman on October 12, 2023, 07:20:59 AM
"Xennials."  They're just Millennials with daddy issues.  "Look at me, Boomer parent, I am not like those lazy Millennials!  Please, accept me and don't lump me in with them!  I'm a cool kid like those Gen Xers, not those Millennials!"  The only generation type split off by people not wanting to be associated with another generation due to being criticized/made fun of by an older generation... :D

My brother-in-law was born in 1981, the youngest of three children, so naturally followed in the footsteps of those straddling the two generations but experienced more attributes of the former yet a few ideals and cultural norms of the latter.

I guess there isn't really a cusp for one born in 1965-66 which might be in a similar situation. (Bumexicans?)

I am the youngest of 8 and born in 1967. All my siblings were born between 1952 and 1962. That leaves me as the odd one out (not a boomer). Some of my older siblings delight in telling stories about things I did in (say) 1969. It doesn't pay me to get annoyed anymore, although I did (silently) for a long time.

Tend to like boomer music because that's what I heard as a youngster. But I am pretty sure I go later than any of the my other siblings that way, especially now with a teenage son of my own.

As I write this, I'm the only one of the 8 still working, and it will be that way probably for about 5 years. I had the same experience in the early '80s when everyone had left the house to college and beyond, while I was still in high school. At least I had the house to myself (with parents) and didn't have to fight siblings over access to things.

It'd be nice to see someone other than a boomer win a national office.

My attitude for the last few years, now that I am middle aged, is that I'm glad I'm as (relatively) young as I am. The calendar will eventually do its job and I'll get to have as much fun as the others.
But you were so cute when you were two!

Annoyed when people point out your terrible twos? :D

Yes, when they do it for 40+ years straight.
It's my sister, I love her, I just wish she wouldn't always go there.
She is about 10 years older than me, so the things she remembers occurred when she was a tween and early teenager.
Family is forever.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ZLoth

Quote from: ZLoth on August 05, 2023, 11:14:23 PMThe fact that I keep getting notification from my color duplex laser printer letting me know that I need to replace the Black toner. Should I mention that it's at 10%, and this is a home office environment with emphasis on home? And, with the volume of printing that I don't do, I have to put up with that warning for a few more months until it is really, actually low (1-2%) before I will replace the toner. Is there any way I can adjust this? No.

FINALLY! No more "low toner message". And after I ordered replacement toner on July 11th, 2023 as part of the prime sale, the "replace toner" actually appeared on my printer.

Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

GaryV

Why do news reports constantly have stories like, "[Someone] posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, saying ..."

We got it already. Is there anyone left on the planet that doesn't know that Twitter is now X?

CNGL-Leudimin

I refuse to acknowledge "X", I still call it "Twitter".
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: GaryV on October 14, 2023, 07:10:48 AM
Why do news reports constantly have stories like, "[Someone] posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, saying ..."

We got it already. Is there anyone left on the planet that doesn't know that Twitter is now X?

Yes, not everyone pays attention to Twitter. And X is a stupid name.

Scott5114

The Website Formerly Known As Twitter
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

This is pretty funny: There's a letter in this morning's Washington Post asking almost exactly the same thing.

Must we reference X's former name?

When will the Post stop mentioning X as "formerly known as Twitter" in its articles? X owner Elon Musk rebranded Twitter more than two months ago. If and when Musk re-brands his social media platform to, say, Birdy, will the Post then have to write "Birdy, formerly known as X, formerly known as Twitter"?

—Karen Handford, Rockville
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Everyone should continue to call it Twitter and not even mention X.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

DTComposer

ZLoth

Can we blame this on the artist known as Prince?

Big John

I just consider that site X-rated.

Rothman

Quote from: Big John on October 14, 2023, 11:47:48 AM
I just consider that site X-rated.
Makes me wonder if Chatroulette is still around.  Scared to check.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SSOWorld

I quit Twitter (deleting both of my accounts) - oh, I quit X too.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

(intential double post - different rant for ya)

I seriously hate the tacking of "for ya" or "there for ya" to sentences - sorry MN, but that is an awful habit and it has spread into neighboring states

A cashier at Petco asked me "phone number for ya?" (requesting it for the loyalty program)
When stating the total price of an order I've heard often "<insert price here> for ya" - I responded "Well, hand it over"

Goddam verbal tics.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

DenverBrian

Until the URL is retired, Twitter is still going to be used as the name of that gawdawful site.

vdeane

What's weird is that a name change was never announced.  I remember the reports of the logo changing.  But not the name.  Everybody (at least in the media) just started saying "X, formerly known as Twitter" one day.  Indeed, to this day the URL is twitter.com, and a Google search for Twitter still identifies the site as such (even if the page title of the homepage says X).

Quote from: 1 on October 14, 2023, 10:47:04 AM
Agreed.  Not only because it's a bad name/logo, but it's especially fitting given Musk's other issues (specifically, the opinions we know that he shares with Lord Carhorn).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

GaryV

Quote from: vdeane on October 14, 2023, 04:18:59 PM
Agreed.  Not only because it's a bad name/logo, but it's especially fitting given Musk's other issues (specifically, the opinions we know that he shares with Lord Carhorn).
What, he doesn't think Illinois is flat?

ZLoth

Quote from: GaryV on October 14, 2023, 04:22:26 PMWhat, he doesn't think Illinois is flat?

Depending on which criteria you use, Illinois is the second flattest state only to be topped by Florida. And, despite my mother's protests of "Texas being as flat as a pancake", it's the 9th flattest state.

Or, per World Population Review which measures the flatness between the highest and lowest points, Florida is the flattest state, Illinois is seventh flattest, and Texas is number 37 thanks to the El Paso area.

vdeane

Quote from: GaryV on October 14, 2023, 04:22:26 PM
Quote from: vdeane on October 14, 2023, 04:18:59 PM
What, he doesn't think Illinois is flat?

Let's just say that Crash_It didn't get banned for claiming Illinois isn't flat.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: GaryV on October 14, 2023, 04:22:26 PMWhat, he doesn't think Illinois is flat?

Quote from: ZLoth on October 15, 2023, 02:24:53 PM
Depending on which criteria you use, Illinois is the second flattest state only to be topped by Florida. And, despite my mother's protests of "Texas being as flat as a pancake", it's the 9th flattest state.

Or, per World Population Review which measures the flatness between the highest and lowest points, Florida is the flattest state, Illinois is seventh flattest, and Texas is number 37 thanks to the El Paso area.

Not surprisingly, West Virginia was the least flat of the 48 contiguous states.  Flat land is so rare in some parts of the Mountain State that where my father grew up, there were unofficially 3 acres of "flat land" on two adjacent family farms totalling 143 acres.  Two acres of which were on a 45-degree slope about 450 feet up the side of "the hill".  But indeed flat, smooth and also aimed towards the Southern skies where crops could be planted.

formulanone

Maybe to avoid implying someone has posted on Ecstasy (formerly known as 3,4-Methyl​enedioxy​methamphetamine).

kkt

Because X is not sufficiently distinctive to be a proper name.  Congratulations to Mr. Musk for changing the name from Twitter to TheSocialMediaFormerKnownAsTwitter.

hotdogPi

This doesn't explain why they can't keep calling it Twitter.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

thenetwork

Quote from: 1 on October 15, 2023, 08:33:54 PM
This doesn't explain why they can't keep calling it Twitter.

They should take a page from the DOTs over the decades that converted from consecutive exit numbers to mileage-based exit numbers -- have a multi-year transition with both the old and the new names.

tchafe1978

So are tweets now called X-crements? Or X-cretions? Is the act of tweeting now called X-creting? Inquiring minds want to know.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.