News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 29, 2023, 02:32:41 PM
One of the more interesting things I learned about the Union Jack the other week is that, with a few narrow exceptions, it is not supposed to be flown by civilian vessels--rather, an ensign appropriate to the ship's status is to be flown instead.

Oh, cool, I see that the reason for the law is that there was a complaint made in 1634 that members of the mercantile marine were slipping past port customs officers without paying duty, by virtue of their flying the same flag as the Navy Royal.  The author of the linked-to book has a rather nuanced take on the validity of that justification.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hobart

I am in several Discord servers. There is one user who, to start a conversation, posts the following, with no context or additional thought:

flops (as in, the action of flopping? i don't know)

I really don't understand how or why I'm expected to turn this into a legitimate conversation.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2023, 09:07:59 AM
Quote from: GaryV on December 28, 2023, 06:03:23 PM
there would be a single religion represented until they took down the creche.

With my preferred method, there would have been a single religion (Judaism) represented during Hanukkah and a single religion (Christmas) (but probably also Kwanzaa, if Wichita does that, which is a question I don't know the answer to) during Christmastide.

Except Kwanzaa isn't a religious holiday. It's presented as an African cultural holiday observance.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tmoore952

Quote from: algorerhythms on December 27, 2023, 04:25:52 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 25, 2023, 11:09:43 PM
Apparently $19 per month is now the magic number for all charitable organizations.  (I know, it's an old marketing gimmick that it appears less costly than $20.)  And all their TV commercials look exactly the same.
I was talking about this with my sister while watching TV, and then there was a commercial for saving elephants (don't remember the name of the organization). I said, "let me guess, $19/month?". Turns out elephants are cheap, at only $12/month.

Or 63 cents a day is what I often hear, which is $18.90 for a 30 day month and $19.53 for a 31 day month.

tmoore952

I'd be in favor of both those things:  only light up the Christmas tree/stuff during the 12 days of Christmas (Christmas Eve through Twelfth Night), and only light up the Menorah during the eight days/nights of Hanukkah.  Of course, I totally agree that the first part of that would prompt a big uproar, but it's what I'd personally prefer.

My religion does not observe Christmas until Christmas Eve. And they take down right after the Sunday that falls between Jan. 9 and Jan. 15.

hotdogPi

One of the restaurants I saw on Balboa Island or the adjacent peninsula had what they called a "students menu". It was just a renamed kids menu. I've seen enough "students 10% off" or "students free drink" in college towns that it confused me at first, since I knew this location wasn't a college town.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Scott5114

Quote from: Hobart on December 30, 2023, 05:10:29 PM
I am in several Discord servers. There is one user who, to start a conversation, posts the following, with no context or additional thought:

flops (as in, the action of flopping? i don't know)

I really don't understand how or why I'm expected to turn this into a legitimate conversation.

Maybe they really want to talk about floating point operations.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Every year around this time of year there is invariably a barrage of e-mails from places like universities and other charities soliciting donations and claiming that "time is running out." Time isn't running out for anyone except their own desire to meet their own calendar-year goal. That's not my problem.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

DTComposer

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 31, 2023, 10:28:13 AM
Every year around this time of year there is invariably a barrage of e-mails from places like universities and other charities soliciting donations and claiming that "time is running out." Time isn't running out for anyone except their own desire to meet their own calendar-year goal. That's not my problem.

True to an extent, but it's also aimed at individuals wanting to make last-minute donations as a tax write-off for the year.

1995hoo

Quote from: DTComposer on December 31, 2023, 11:00:39 AM

True to an extent, but it's also aimed at individuals wanting to make last-minute donations as a tax write-off for the year.

I understand that (I used to itemize before the last big tax law rewrite), although I also tend to think that the majority of people who take advantage of that sort of thing are well aware of the timing without nagging spam messages.

GaryV

Salvation Army spammed my wife with a text - during church this morning. Really?

mgk920

Quote from: hbelkins on December 30, 2023, 05:45:42 PM
Quote from: GaryV on December 28, 2023, 06:03:23 PM
there would be a single religion represented until they took down the creche.

With my preferred method, there would have been a single religion (Judaism) represented during Hanukkah and a single religion (Christmas) (but probably also Kwanzaa, if Wichita does that, which is a question I don't know the answer to) during Christmastide.

Except Kwanzaa isn't a religious holiday. It's presented as an African cultural holiday observance.

IIRC, it was dreamed up by a professor at Wayne State University in Detroit during the late 1960s.

Mike

kkt

Quote from: GaryV on December 31, 2023, 12:47:36 PM
Salvation Army spammed my wife with a text - during church this morning. Really?

Does the Salvation Army have some way of knowning which church service you attend?  Does your phone not have an "off" button?

jeffandnicole

If it was a sunrise service, I'd be piased also. But 10 or 11am? I mean, how are they supposed to know?

Rothman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 31, 2023, 05:48:43 PM

If it was a sunrise service, I'd be piased also. But 10 or 11am? I mean, how are they supposed to know?

Minor things that bother me: People who don't turn off their audible notifications during church.  And yes, I have yet to be in a congregation where a phone beeps or goes off and a doctor or police officer has to run out of the room.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ZLoth

Quote from: Rothman on December 31, 2023, 05:50:58 PMAnd yes, I have yet to be in a congregation where a phone beeps or goes off and a doctor or police officer has to run out of the room.

Hey, there are people in mission-critical IT support who are on-call as well!
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

kkt

Quote from: Rothman on December 31, 2023, 05:50:58 PM
Minor things that bother me: People who don't turn off their audible notifications during church.  And yes, I have yet to be in a congregation where a phone beeps or goes off and a doctor or police officer has to run out of the room.

That's what "vibrate mode" is for.

hbelkins

Most of the solicitation emails I get are from politicians asking for my help in meeting their critically important year-end fundraising goals.

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on December 31, 2023, 05:50:58 PM

I was at Mass one Sunday when the priest said, during his homily, that he was going to read a message from St. Francis of Assisi. Right then, some lady's phone rang. The priest, without missing a beat, said, "Oh, never mind. He's calling to give us the message himself." The lady looked ready to crawl under the pew and die.

I put my phone in airplane mode in churches, at the dentist, at the barber, and at the movies. Silent mode isn't enough to ensure it won't make noise, and at the dentist and the barber I don't want to be startled at the wrong moment.

Scott5114

The first thing I do when I get a new phone is put it on vibrate, and then I never take it off of that. Most of the time I don't want to know if someone is calling me, much less anyone else.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

Christian churches typically have their services on Sundays with many having services throughout the morning, so I would think an organization as Christian as the Salvation Army would try to avoid that time period.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

Quote from: vdeane on December 31, 2023, 10:28:41 PM

Christian churches typically have their services on Sundays with many having services throughout the morning, so I would think an organization as Christian as the Salvation Army would try to avoid that time period.

We also had a Saturday late afternoon mass, and a Wednesday mass.  On the whole, worshipers should learn to turn their phones off.

hbelkins

Invariably, at a public gathering, there will be an announcement that phones should be set to silent or vibrate. And invariably, someone's phone will go off.

tmoore952

Quote from: tmoore952 on November 24, 2023, 12:26:13 PM
Unbelievable numbers of TV graphics that are misspelled on the news shows on my local stations.

Two of many: "morning a loss" (should be "mourning")
"extenguishing a fire" (should be "extinguishing).

I'm not sure how this happens. Some computer program translating voice commands, or someone typing?

As mentioned, these are two of many. If I'd been keeping a list, I'd probably have filled an entire page.

Along the same lines, from a couple days ago (Channel 4, Washington DC).
This is an approximation of the entire headline -- but I did get the error right.

"Loose blot causes Boeing to urge inspections of 737 Max planes"   (should be "loose bolt")

tmoore952

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 31, 2023, 11:08:57 AM

I understand that (I used to itemize before the last big tax law rewrite), although I also tend to think that the majority of people who take advantage of that sort of thing are well aware of the timing without nagging spam messages.
I also used to itemize until a year ago (the last tax law rewrite was not kind to itemizers (as many of you know)), and it caused me to accelerate getting my house paid off to get out of the itemization game quicker. Last year was the last year I will itemize for mortgage interest reasons, at least for my current residence, and likely for all time, given high real estate prices where I live.

Because of my (now) non-itemization, I was less inclined to do year-end donations, as I had less incentive to do so at least from a financial standpoint. Getting a $3000 car repair bill on Dec 23 pretty much killed that idea for this year.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.