News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

algorerhythms

Quote from: ZLoth on February 07, 2024, 02:00:47 PM
Why do toll entities advertise and advocate the usage of toll tags?

Because toll tag systems are cheaper to maintain than toll booths are to put people in and license plate scanner systems are to enforce.

SSOWorld

and you don't need people to run toll systems.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JayhawkCO

This probably isn't a minor thing...

I got my roof replaced in late 2022. I wanted to get solar, so had the inspection and they found hail damage. I filed a claim with my homeowners, and they fought tooth and nail to not have to pay, but eventually an arbitrator ruled in my favor.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago when I had a call with my insurance agent (who has relationships with multiple companies) where we were shopping around policies before my policy renews in March. She said that a couple of companies wouldn't give me a quote because my roof was over 10 years old. I told her that no, it was replaced recently.

So basically, the insurance company that paid to replace the roof kept it in their system that the roof was old so that I had to pay higher premiums. I'm currently raising hell and working to get money back.

GaryV

When you're at a light waiting for RTOR, and the guy to the left of you, in a big truck, pulls up so far in the left turn lane that you can't see around him, so you don't know if it's clear to make your right turn.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ZLoth on February 07, 2024, 02:00:47 PM
Why do toll entities advertise and advocate the usage of toll tags?

If you have $5 on hand, and the toll is $10, you will need to find another way around.  If you have a toll tag, you'll more likely to use the toll road.

D-Dey65

The idiots at Amazon are making it impossible to print return labels, and impossible to cancel returns you don't want to make. They also made it so you can't contact them and ask for help with these or any other issues.

D-Dey65

My browser just crashed again. It crashed in the middle of me writing a reply to one of the messages here, but also with all the evidence of Amazon's lies about their return processes. And the pop-up that's supposed to help you restore what you did before didn't work this time.

Bruce

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 08, 2024, 10:34:26 PM
My browser just crashed again. It crashed in the middle of me writing a reply to one of the messages here, but also with all the evidence of Amazon's lies about their return processes. And the pop-up that's supposed to help you restore what you did before didn't work this time.

Had the same happen to me in Chrome. Turns out Typio has been busted for months and no one bothered to tell me...lost a pretty big Wikipedia edit because of a server error and the crash. It's going to be a massive pain to rewrite everything.

ZLoth

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 08, 2024, 10:08:01 PMThe idiots at Amazon are making it impossible to print return labels, and impossible to cancel returns you don't want to make.

Phone number is 888-280-4331, although online chat is recommended. I usually don't have problems with returns as I get provided with a QR code which I then scan in at the nearby Whole Foods to return the product.

However, I suspect that your situation is a bit more complicated.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

formulanone

Quote from: GaryV on February 08, 2024, 09:02:25 PM
When you're at a light waiting for RTOR, and the guy to the left of you, in a big truck, pulls up so far in the left turn lane that you can't see around him, so you don't know if it's clear to make your right turn.

I believe you're legally* allowed to throw a brick at their side window** in retaliation*** in some jurisdictions****.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

All drivers who pull past the stop line for no good reason.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on February 09, 2024, 11:57:47 AM

Quote from: hbelkins on February 09, 2024, 11:56:24 AM
Bell's palsy

That's minor?

Depends.  It can be minor, or it can be worse.  And, even if it goes away, it can come back later.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 09, 2024, 01:03:22 PM

Ironically however, if there's only a single lane, letting a right turner past is a good reason to pull up.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 09, 2024, 01:10:47 PM

Ironically however, if there's only a single lane, letting a right turner past is a good reason to pull up.

Unless you're the pedestrian whose path in the crosswalk is now blocked.  Bonus points if you're in a wheelchair.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 09, 2024, 01:21:38 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 09, 2024, 01:10:47 PM

Unless you're the pedestrian whose path in the crosswalk is now blocked.  Bonus points if you're in a wheelchair.

This doesn't necessarily apply here, but my favorite intersections are the ones that have just enough room for a car to pull past the crosswalk while waiting to make their turn, such that pedestrians can use the crosswalk even as a car simultaneously completes a right turn on red. This recently revamped intersection is a good example.

roadman65

Again a certain female singer's love life.  I was in work an ESPN was on and of course they had to throw in a certain romance of an NFL player even when the subject was far from it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Rothman on February 09, 2024, 07:29:12 PM
Sports talk shows on ESPN.

Same, although it can sometimes be hard to find games. 4 PM Eastern Monday-Wednesday, for example. I would expect either MLB or college sports (depending on time of year) to have at least one game on, but this is often not the case. NHL and NBA don't start until 7 local time. NFL doesn't play in this time slot. It's 9-11 PM in most of Europe. So what games are actually available?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

tmoore952

I agree with you re anything on there in the AM/early PM.

I do watch PTI when I can, though. Only 1/2 hour. is often on in the evenings which is the only time I can watch, and I often learn sports things -- both new and old.

Rothman

Quote from: tmoore952 on February 09, 2024, 08:23:47 PM

I do watch PTI when I can, though. Only 1/2 hour. is often on in the evenings which is the only time I can watch, and I often learn sports things -- both new and old.
I don't know.  Every time I end up in a restaurant with that sludge blaring, it just comes across as a bunch of schmucks talking out of their butts.

tmoore952

Quote from: Rothman on February 09, 2024, 08:58:11 PM

I don't know.  Every time I end up in a restaurant with that sludge blaring, it just comes across as a bunch of schmucks talking out of their butts.
Wilbon does get on my nerves.

I'm not sure what else restaurants can show at that hour.

Rothman

Quote from: tmoore952 on February 09, 2024, 10:01:06 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 09, 2024, 08:58:11 PM

Wilbon does get on my nerves.

I'm not sure what else restaurants can show at that hour.
How about nothing?

1995hoo

Software that constantly badgers you to set up parental controls. Microsoft is doing that now with their new "Family Sharing" controls. I suppose the software companies don't include an option for "I don't have kids" because kids might take advantage of inattentive parents to disable this sort of feature, but it's annoying to be nagged about it when you don't have kids and don't have a need for that sort of feature.

Unrelated to that, yesterday I was more than a bit annoyed at my wife. She had cardiac surgery yesterday, a planned procedure, but she didn't carefully read the information they sent to her in advance. Had she read it, she would have found that the procedure was scheduled at a hospital in Washington, DC, and not the hospital in Arlington, Virginia, where she thought it was. I took her to the latter and they had no record of it; I then called the surgeon's office and learned where it was supposed to be. We still made it in time (it took 40 minutes to drive the eight miles or so because of all the red lights) and the surgery was successful. I guess the lesson for me is to read the documentation myself to verify what she tells me. This isn't the first time: Years ago, she was flying to the West Coast on United, so asked her which airport and she said DCA. I asked if she was sure because back then, United didn't have many flights out of DCA and I figured she probably needed Dulles. She was adamant it was DCA, so I took her there. Of course it turned out to be Dulles, but they rebooked her.

(Edited to fix a typo.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.