News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on February 09, 2024, 07:41:06 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 09, 2024, 07:29:12 PM
Sports talk shows on ESPN.

Same, although it can sometimes be hard to find games. 4 PM Eastern Monday-Wednesday, for example. I would expect either MLB or college sports (depending on time of year) to have at least one game on, but this is often not the case. NHL and NBA don't start until 7 local time. NFL doesn't play in this time slot. It's 9-11 PM in most of Europe. So what games are actually available?

It's not the shows themselves, it's the content.

You weren't alive yet for the golden age of ESPN.

SSOWorld

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 10, 2024, 08:50:45 AM
Software that constantly badgers you to set up parental controls. Microsoft is doing that now with their new "Family Sharing" controls. I suppose the software companies don't include an option for "I don't have kids" because kids might take advantage of inattentive parents to disable this sort of feature, but it's annoying to be nagged about it when you don't have kids and don't have a need for that sort of feature.
Software companies have been popping up all this "tips" and "we want your feedback" nags more and more lately and there is NO way to turn these off (they show you ways, but then they do an end run around and show more as if they have a different hidden setting).  I have two answers for you Microsoft. Shut up and go away.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Rothman

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 10, 2024, 09:34:00 AM
Software that constantly badgers you to set up parental controls. Microsoft is doing that now with their new "Family Sharing" controls. I suppose the software companies don't include an option for "I don't have kids" because kids might take advantage of inattentive parents to disable this sort of feature, but it's annoying to be nagged about it when you don't have kids and don't have a need for that sort of feature.
Software companies have been popping up all this "tips" and "we want your feedback" nags more and more lately and there is NO way to turn these off (they show you ways, but then they do an end run around and show more as if they have a different hidden setting).  I have two answers for you Microsoft. Shut up and go away.
^This.  Didn't realize how annoying it was up until this past week where they seemed to have been popping up every time I logged in.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SSOWorld

I see you turned off your notifications.  You realize you are missing out on new content I publish?
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

thenetwork

•  When it's not necessarily the slowpoke ahead of you that is going 10+ miles BELOW the speed limit, but rather the 4 to 6 people between you and the slowpoke who are content in following them instead of passing them when there is plenty of opportunity to do so -- making it damn near impossible for me to pass all of them in one fell swoop.

• Radio-based talk and/or sport shows that can be watched/streamed on TV at the same time as well.   Is it really that cool to watch someone for 2-3 hours talking into a microphone in a slightly larger air studio decorated with college-dorm props?

tmoore952

Quote from: thenetwork on February 10, 2024, 10:33:53 AM
•  When it's not necessarily the slowpoke ahead of you that is going 10+ miles BELOW the speed limit, but rather the 4 to 6 people between you and the slowpoke who are content in following them instead of passing them when there is plenty of opportunity to do so -- making it damn near impossible for me to pass all of them in one fell swoop.

Having been one of the 4 to 6 people (but not the last one), there is the small problem of not knowing when someone behind you is going to speed up and start passing. I've had a couple near accidents when I tried to change lanes when the person behind me was also doing so and speeding up.

There might be reasons things are happening. Everyone isn't out to specifically annoy you.

tmoore952

In my FB feed, someone who I am friends with (rather distantly, a former co-worker from 30 years ago) and whom I have fundamental disagreements with --- all of a sudden is showing up constantly in my feed.

I can see this if I had recently responded to one of his posts. But I haven't.

After writing all of this (and reading it), seems like a "friend "I should drop.

J N Winkler

Quote from: tmoore952 on February 10, 2024, 10:49:05 AMIn my FB feed, someone who I am friends with (rather distantly, a former co-worker from 30 years ago) and whom I have fundamental disagreements with --- all of a sudden is showing up constantly in my feed.

After writing all of this (and reading it), seems like a "friend "I should drop.

In situations like this, I usually just unfollow.  Unfriending is difficult to do discreetly since it leads to a change in friend count, is tracked by third-party plugins like FB Purity, and (so I understand) is reported to the other party as part of the file distribution he will receive if he ever downloads his Facebook profile.

There are plenty of people I have unfollowed simply because crises they have had going on in their real lives (such as collapsing marriages) have leaked out as nastiness in what they post on Facebook.  Sometimes I re-follow, sometimes I don't.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

This is an annoyance I have with Disney+.  Paramount+ also did it, but not on the home page, so I only saw it when I went to watch Star Trek: Prodigy.

Quote from: tmoore952 on February 10, 2024, 10:39:52 AM

Having been one of the 4 to 6 people (but not the last one), there is the small problem of not knowing when someone behind you is going to speed up and start passing. I've had a couple near accidents when I tried to change lanes when the person behind me was also doing so and speeding up.

There might be reasons things are happening. Everyone isn't out to specifically annoy you.
Is it even legal to pass multiple cars everywhere?  One of my professors in college once got a ticket for passing multiple cars at once.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Molandfreak

It seems like there's a number of people (that is not insignificant) that think that just because driving a truck is difficult, trucks should not be required to follow any reasonable driving laws and everyone should just give way to them like it's the wild west. And I'm not just talking about reasonable requests like not cutting them off or staying in their blind spot too long, it's stuff like not being charitable to the non-truckers involved in accidents that might have been caused by a truck driver not signaling a turn or lane change.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Rothman

Quote from: vdeane on February 10, 2024, 05:30:35 PM

Is it even legal to pass multiple cars everywhere?  One of my professors in college once got a ticket for passing multiple cars at once.

Yes.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

That's one of those that I would want to know what the citation was actually for, including statute number.  Because I'm going to guess there isn't a law that prohibits passing multiple vehicles at one time.  If a cop witnessed it, my guess would be either he saw the professor driving over the limit (Speeding), or completing the passing too close to opposing traffic (Unsafe Passing).

Rothman

Your timidity is part of the problem and is not a sufficient excuse.

"Now is the time! Seize the day!" -- The Tick

kkt

Sigh.  My kid, college age, was referred for a minor surgery.  Kid did much the same, ask to be taken to the PCP's building, not the building in a different part of town where the surgeon was.  It would have been over an hour so we would have been pretty late getting there and we had to reschedule for a different day.

webny99

My experience has been that a string of cars forming on a two lane road snowballs into "impossible to pass" very quickly. Because every car that joins the end of the string needs more space to pass, it only takes about 5 or so cars for passing to become a non-starter.

I'm usually towards the more aggressive end of the spectrum when it comes to passing one or two vehicles, but I hesitate to overtake three or more at once. The craziest passing maneuver I can recall occurred on ON 6 near Tobermory. I was in the middle of a very long string of cars in what I believe was an 80 km/h zone when suddenly an old-style Ford Explorer appeared out of nowhere and went roaring past. There were such a long string of cars in front of us that I couldn't even see where he tucked back in, but he had to have passed 10+ cars at once.

Big John

Did s/he fail any of them? ;)

tmoore952

Quote from: Rothman on February 10, 2024, 06:40:26 PM

Your timidity is part of the problem and is not a sufficient excuse.

"Now is the time! Seize the day!" -- The Tick
Respectfully, I disagree.  See what I said about multiple people deciding to do the same thing at the same time. I don't have time to deal with the possible consequences. Maybe you do.

There is also the not-so-small detail as to whether the original post was about a single lane road or a multiple lane road, in the direction of travel.

I had assumed a multiple lane road in the direction of travel, but rereading the original post, it is not completely clear what was meant - could be either way. The consensus here seems to be that it was one lane. Obviously, it's a lot harder to pass multiple cars on a single lane road, than on a multi-lane road.

tmoore952

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 10, 2024, 01:21:10 PM
Quote from: tmoore952 on February 10, 2024, 10:49:05 AMIn my FB feed, someone who I am friends with (rather distantly, a former co-worker from 30 years ago) and whom I have fundamental disagreements with --- all of a sudden is showing up constantly in my feed.

In situations like this, I usually just unfollow.  Unfriending is difficult to do discreetly since it leads to a change in friend count, is tracked by third-party plugins like FB Purity, and (so I understand) is reported to the other party as part of the file distribution he will receive if he ever downloads his Facebook profile.

There are plenty of people I have unfollowed simply because crises they have had going on in their real lives (such as collapsing marriages) have leaked out as nastiness in what they post on Facebook.  Sometimes I re-follow, sometimes I don't.
Done (meaning "unfollowed"). And thanks for the suggestion. It's nice to assert some power over this particular situation.

roadman65

Now that the Super Bowl is over, hopefully no more Taylor Swift and her love life. I think her romance got more media attention than Covid has.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SSOWorld

"In Process" vs "In Progress"

Though they are made out to be different meaning by how they end, they really mean the same thing.  Twisted meanings!  Plus "In Process" sounds shitty.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

SSOWorld

Quote from: roadman65 on February 12, 2024, 06:47:59 AM
Now that the Super Bowl is over, hopefully no more Taylor Swift and her love life. I think her romance got more media attention than Covid has.
You'd think a conspiracy was put out there (sarcastically) to take attention away from SWIFT trucking company.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Rothman

I really wasn't exposed to much of it, since I don't watch the NFL that often.  Saw some references to it through Facebook friends and generally knew it was a thing.  So, because her and Kelce were so tied to sports coverage, it would seem that one's exposure to it would die off...unless they went looking for it.

Frankly, I didn't find the half-a-dozen or so times they showed her briefly to have been a distraction to the game.

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on February 12, 2024, 06:58:28 AM
I really wasn't exposed to much of it, since I don't watch the NFL that often.  Saw some references to it through Facebook friends and generally knew it was a thing.  So, because her and Kelce were so tied to sports coverage, it would seem that one's exposure to it would die off...unless they went looking for it.

Frankly, I didn't find the half-a-dozen or so times they showed her briefly to have been a distraction to the game.

There was no coverage of the 4th quarter streakers, so we're probably all better off.

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on February 12, 2024, 06:58:28 AM

Normally I don't listen to reports, but the TV is on at work, and what do you think it's tuned in to?  ( Rhetorical question of course) ESPN and several times during 30 minute break time it flashes to a scene of Taylor in her private box or hugging her beau in public.

Of course I have nothing against her personal life, but against the media for pegging them as the Couple of all time.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on February 09, 2024, 11:57:47 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 09, 2024, 11:56:24 AM
Bell's palsy
That's minor?

So far it is. I've been dealing with it for a couple of weeks. The only pain is when I accidentally bite the inside of my jaw or lip when I'm trying to eat. Otherwise, it's an annoyance more than anything else. I have to cut my food into small bites or eat finger foods (chicken strips, etc.). No sandwiches, no bites off an apple, or anything like that.

I also cannot fully close my right eye.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.