News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Forgotten" parts of your state

Started by STLmapboy, June 23, 2020, 05:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 25, 2020, 02:32:10 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 25, 2020, 02:24:15 PM
Not New England, but what is it for New York? The US 11 corridor?
Anything north of Westchester County if you ask Andrew Cuomo :biggrin:
I would say most of the area bound by NY 29, NY 12, US 11, and the Northway.  Also, the southwest corner southeast of the Thruway and west of I-390.

New York has two levels of forgotten.

-Everything upstate (north of Westchester and especially north of the 42nd parallel) is forgotten compared to NYC.
-The other areas you mentioned (North Country and Southern Tier, especially western Southern Tier) are forgotten even by the rest of  upstate, so that's a whole separate level!

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: DandyDan on June 24, 2020, 05:41:51 AM
As for Minnesota, Southwestern Minnesota may as well be in South Dakota.

And just to hammer the point home, the Minnesota Welcome Center is in South Dakota.  :-D
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

kphoger

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 26, 2020, 03:10:06 PM

Quote from: DandyDan on June 24, 2020, 05:41:51 AM
As for Minnesota, Southwestern Minnesota may as well be in South Dakota.

And just to hammer the point home, the Minnesota Welcome Center is in South Dakota.  :-D

Didn't realize that till now.  I like how that means a rest area in South Dakota flies a Minnesota state flag.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 26, 2020, 12:27:36 AM
Quote from: michravera on June 25, 2020, 08:52:16 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on June 23, 2020, 06:59:53 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 23, 2020, 05:48:10 PM
The Lost Coast of California has always been pretty much no man's land.  Much of the Sierra Nevada Mountains is uninhabited wilderness.  The Santa Lucia Range in Big Sur aside from CA 1 is also devoid of people.  Some of the coast range mountains contain nothing but ghost towns and ranches.

Is the northeast/Modoc County up there as well?

Most of California north of Lake Tahoe gets forgotten. But probably not by the couple million people who live there.

With Modoc I would say they were forgotten until they started actively defying the Governor's COVID orders.
Yes also areas north of Placer, Mendocino, Yolo, Napa, Yuba and Sutter counties gets views as "State of Jefferson" which does get debated sometimes like the Brexit debates which always ends in water debates.

Road Hog

Quote from: bing101 on June 27, 2020, 01:54:27 PM
The Lost Coast of California has always been pretty much no man's land.  Much of the Sierra Nevada Mountains is uninhabited wilderness.  The Santa Lucia Range in Big Sur aside from CA 1 is also devoid of people.  Some of the coast range mountains contain nothing but ghost towns and ranches.

Most of California north of Lake Tahoe gets forgotten. But probably not by the couple million people who live there.

With Modoc I would say they were forgotten until they started actively defying the Governor's COVID orders.
Yes also areas north of Placer, Mendocino, Yolo, Napa, Yuba and Sutter counties gets views as "State of Jefferson" which does get debated sometimes like the Brexit debates which always ends in water debates.
You mean, water "contests"?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Road Hog on June 29, 2020, 02:15:20 AM
Quote from: bing101 on June 27, 2020, 01:54:27 PM

You mean, water "contests"?

They really aren't costs since the standing water rights are well established at this point in California. 

Sctvhound

More forgotten areas in South Carolina: Pretty much anywhere in a square between Lancaster, north of Camden, Hartsville/Darlington, out to I-95 to the east, and the NC state line to the north.

Basically Chesterfield, Marlboro and northern Darlington (above the race track). Most people forget that area even exists outside of high school football.

The border belt of North Carolina as well. Scotland, Richmond, Robeson, and Anson counties specifically. Very poor counties compared to the rest of the state. Robeson (where Lumberton is) is 38% Native American.

Rockingham in Richmond County lost a good chunk of its economy when it lost its NASCAR race in 2004.

webny99

I'd be interested in New York from an outsider's perspective. I think everything north of NYC qualifies as "forgotten", but there seems to be shades of forgottenness.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on July 14, 2020, 11:26:37 AM
I'd be interested in New York from an outsider's perspective. I think everything north of NYC qualifies as "forgotten", but there seems to be shades of forgottenness.
The Southern Tier or land near US 11.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

doorknob60

For Idaho, I'd say it's the northern US-93 corridor, towns like Challis and Salmon. That area is quite far away from most of the populated areas in Idaho. When people go to the mountains, they're usually talking about Sun Valley, McCall, Stanley, or Cascade. Or the far eastern area around Victor/Driggs near the Tetons and Yellowstone. I wouldn't say anything on the US-95 corridor feels forgotten, and of course neither is anything along the interstates. I've spent a lot of time in Idaho, but that's one of the few regions of the state I haven't been to.

TheHighwayMan3561

It's NYC, Albany, and forgetting everything else north of I-90 and west of I-87 between Albany and Buffalo.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: texaskdog on June 25, 2020, 01:23:03 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 25, 2020, 02:37:19 AM
In Minnesota it’s probably anything west of US 59. Moorhead gets lost being the smaller city next to Fargo, and there’s not much in the way of lakes or other tourism draws.

anything up north not east of US 53 as well

Bemidji and the Iron Range still have enough cache around here. I might move my line to US 71.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

For Kentucky, it's pretty much any county that isn't on an interstate, parkway, or major four-lane corridor.

Even within regions, some places are more "forgotten" than others. There's an initiative called SOAR -- Shaping Our Appalachian Region -- and Harlan County in particular thinks it's being overlooked in favor of other areas. I call it SOAP -- Shaping Our Appalachian Pikeville -- because to me it seems like most of SOAR's efforts are focused on Pikeville and the other US 23/Big Sandy corridor communities that are already doing better than most of the other cities and counties.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on July 14, 2020, 04:50:09 PM

It's NYC, Albany, and forgetting everything else north of I-90 and west of I-87 between Albany and Buffalo.

I dunno, I would have thought Buffalo was much more well-known than Albany. Not only because of the Bills, Sabres, and buffalo wings, but it has much more historical significance, too.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on July 15, 2020, 10:09:37 PM

I dunno, I would have thought Buffalo was much more well-known than Albany. Not only because of the Bills, Sabres, and buffalo wings, but it has much more historical significance, too.
Buffalo is more well known. The only thing people know about Albany is that it's New York's capital.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kinupanda

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 15, 2020, 10:46:03 PMThe only thing people know about Albany is that it's New York's capital.
... and that people there (but not in Utica) refer to hamburgers as "steamed hams," despite the fact that they are obviously grilled.

kphoger

Quote from: kinupanda on July 16, 2020, 12:36:09 AM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 15, 2020, 10:46:03 PM

The only thing people know about Albany is that it's New York's capital.

... and that people there (but not in Utica) refer to hamburgers as "steamed hams," despite the fact that they are obviously grilled.

(1)  I didn't know that about Albany, and I seriously doubt most people do.

(2)  I just steamed some hamburgers yesterday for dinner.  Granted, they were left over and I had first grilled them a few days ago.  But still.  Steamed hamburgers for dinner last night at our house.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 24, 2020, 02:31:37 PM
I think most people in Northern Virginia forget that the far southwestern parts of the state are actually in Virginia. That is, if you grow up here, you learn early on in school that Virginia borders five other states (Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, and North Carolina), but it's a heck of a long way from Northern Virginia–or from Hampton Roads, for that matter–to anywhere on the Kentucky state line, to the point where I tend to think people forget any of that is down there. Certainly a lot of people here don't understand how very different the more rural parts of Virginia are compared to the urban parts. People here are aware of Roanoke, Blacksburg, and Radford (the latter two because of universities located there), but I think much beyond that is more of an abstract concept to most people. Certainly my wife was surprised when I told her it's almost 380 miles from our house to the Tennessee state line on I-81 and that it's almost 470 miles (all in Virginia) to Cumberland Gap.

You'd think that GEICO ad where the gecko stands on this marker on State Street in Bristol might remind people of some of what's down that way, but I think despite the commercial people tend to associate Bristol with Tennessee because its best-known feature–the speedway–is in Tennessee.

I always like the geographic-oddity fun facts that extreme SW Virgina is closer to like other 5 state capitals instead of Richmond, and also that the area is further west than Detroit Michigan. It doesn't help that it's pretty sparsely populated.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on July 15, 2020, 10:09:37 PM

Buffalo is more well known. The only thing people know about Albany is that it's New York's capital.

I think Syracuse is more well-known than Albany as well, primarily because of Syracuse University's football and basketball programs.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 15, 2020, 10:46:03 PMThe only thing people know about Albany is that it's New York's capital.

Can you see the Aurora Borealis up there? Ideally localized, entirely within a kitchen.

Takumi

Quote from: kphoger on July 16, 2020, 09:59:19 AM

I didn't know that about Albany, and I seriously doubt most people do.
https://youtu.be/4jXEuIHY9ic
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

webny99

I didn't either, and I'm not entirely sure it's true. There's several users here from the Albany area that could probably tell us for sure.

But in any case, hamburgers are not "steamed hams" or "grilled hams", for a reason entirely separate from how they're cooked: ham is pork, and hamburgers are beef.  Unless ham is short for hamburgers, in which case... yikes.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: webny99 on July 16, 2020, 11:01:34 AM

I didn't either, and I'm not entirely sure it's true. There's several users here from the Albany area that could probably tell us for sure.

But in any case, hamburgers are not "steamed hams" or "grilled hams", for a reason entirely separate from how they're cooked: ham is pork, and hamburgers are beef.  Unless ham is short for hamburgers, in which case... yikes.

It's a pop culture reference from the 1990s, one which you clearly aren't getting (not meaning to judge, either).

webny99

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on July 16, 2020, 11:49:22 AM
It's a pop culture reference from the 1990s, one which you clearly aren't getting (not meaning to judge, either).

Thanks, I guess not. No offense taken.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.