News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Bands that change guitarists

Started by hbelkins, February 25, 2021, 07:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Someone mentioned bands with "revolving door" musicians in the "bands that change singers" thread. Bass, drums, keyboards, and rhythm guitar seem to be the most often vulnerable to that. You don't often see bands change lead guitarists, and for a lot of them, it doesn't really change the sound.

Chicago is the band I think about most often, because they were forced to change when Terry Kath died. I always thought Donnie Dacus was a suitable replacement for him. The sound of the band didn't really change from "Chicago XI" to "Hot Streets." The big change occurred when David Foster took over production, Bill Champlin came into the group, and Peter Cetera was pushed to the front to sing ballads.

There have been a lot of guitarists to succeed Ace Frehley in Kiss,but the only real changes in the band's sound came from the natural evolution of the genre (the Vinnie Vincent shredding years excepted; Paul Stanley once claimed he played too fast) and more modern production. Tommy Thayer's solos on the old songs are indistinguishable from Frehley's.

One band that would have been completely different if the guitarist had left is Van Halen. It's hard to imagine them without Eddie's work.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

The Allman Brothers did well after the drama with Dicky Betts being forced out. Their Southern Rock sound still lasted without Betts.  Though Warren Haynes did replace the late Duane real well and much better than Dan Toler did on the Brothers of the Road album.

Though Dan was good and it might of been the contemporary sound that the producers wanted that forced the band to quit the first time that gave Toler a bad rap as in Gregg Allman solo stuff, Toler proved to be a great guitarist especially on I'm No Angel.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

TheHighwayMan3561

Yes didn't take off until Peter Banks was jettisoned for Steve Howe after the band's first two albums "Yes" and "Time and a Word". The band was told they were on their last chance by their record label, prompting the change before recording "The Yes Album" which launched the band in a much more successful direction. Then they had the 80s era with Trevor Rabin, who while not as technically gifted as Steve I always enjoyed the harder rock edge Trevor brought to the band.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Takumi

I know the Smashing Pumpkins have always been "Billy Corgan and some other people" , but I've preferred James Iha's work as the "other guitarist"  as opposed to Jeff Schroeder. Now they're both in the band, which is a bit of an odd setup, but I think Billy plays bass in the studio while Peter Hook's son Jack Bates is their live bassist.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

KeithE4Phx

The Yardbirds had 4 lead guitarists during their original run.  They started out with Anthony "Top" Topham in 1963.  He was replaced by Eric Clapton in 1964 when the group went professional (Topham was too young).  Clapton quit in a huff in 1965, and was replaced by Jeff Beck (actually, it took a day and a huff for Beck to accept, after Jimmy Page turned it down). 

Page finally came in in 1966, originally on bass, and worked in a lead guitar tandem with Beck for a few months before Beck was fired.  The Yardbirds broke up in 1968, with Page founding Led Zeppelin that year.  The rest is history.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

tchafe1978

Megadeth has changed guitarists numerous times over the years. The only constant member throughout their whole history has been Dave Mustaine, having also replaced drummers numerous times, along with original bassist Dave Ellefson having been replaced for a time before returning. Anyway, besides Mustaine, the list of guitarists for Megadeth:
Chris Poland 1984-88
Jeff Young 1988-1990
Marty Friedman 1990-2000
Al Pitrelli 2000-2003
Chris Poland 2003-2004
Glenn Drover 2004-2008
Chris Broderick 2008-2015
Kiko Loureiro 2015-present

Far and away, IMHO the best lineup and my favorite was the lineup that included Mustaine, Friedman, Ellefson, and Nick Menza on drums. I haven't listened to a whole lot of other Megadeth stuff outside of that lineup during the majority of the 1990s.

DandyDan

He's not a band, but Ozzy Osbourne has had several guitarists for his albums and tours. Of course, he had to have a new one after Randy Rhoads died, but he did have Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wylde, and Gus G as guitarist.

I also believe Dio went from guitarist to guitarist as well.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.