News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Covid vaccination status?

Started by hbelkins, March 04, 2021, 09:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your covid vaccination status?

I have taken the first shot, but not yet taken the second one.
22 (16.4%)
I have taken both shots.
74 (55.2%)
I plan to take the one-dose shot when it's available in my area.
4 (3%)
My priority group is not yet eligible, but I plan to take it when I can.
16 (11.9%)
I have not had covid and I don't plan to take the shot at all.
14 (10.4%)
I've already had covid so I don't need to/don't plan to take the shot.
3 (2.2%)
I've already had covid but I do plan to take the shot.
7 (5.2%)

Total Members Voted: 134

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 26, 2021, 03:10:58 PM
I'm pretty surprised at the vaccination progress in the USA, especially knowing how awful your health system is.

Because when you say "how awful it is", the only thing you really mean is "you people have to pay insane amounts for healthcare". Which I agree is awful, but that issue isn't relevant to why we've been able to get vaccines distributed and into arms.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 26, 2021, 03:24:40 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on April 26, 2021, 03:10:58 PM
I'm pretty surprised at the vaccination progress in the USA, especially knowing how awful your health system is.

Because when you say "how awful it is", the only thing you really mean is "you people have to pay insane amounts for healthcare". Which I agree is awful, but that issue isn't relevant to why we've been able to get vaccines distributed and into arms.

Yeah. The U.S. healthcare is second to none...if you're rich. This fortunately hasn't mattered for the vaccine effort because the vaccines themselves are being purchased by the government and distributed for free.

There is also the fact that vaccine distribution is more a matter of logistics than it is of healthcare. I don't think there's much specialized medical knowledge involved in giving an injection. The real challenge of vaccination is shipping the vaccines where they need to go under tight temperature constraints, and organizing clinics in order to efficiently administer them in such a way that they are accessible to the population that needs it. Those challenges are the kinds of problems that the U.S. is excellent at solving.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't describe the US health system as "awful" except maybe with regard to cost specifically. Vaccinations have been going at about the rate I expected, honestly.

dkblake

Despite the expected sparring over vaccination preferences, worth noting that as of right now, 1/7 of the respondents of the poll at the top of the thread have chosen one of the "not getting it" options. I'm not sure what broader polling is, and don't know if those sorts of polls can get at the "true" percentage of people opposed to getting the vaccine, but 1/7 against it sounds either right or somewhat low.
2dis clinched: 8, 17, 69(original), 71, 72, 78, 81, 84(E), 86(E), 88(E), 89, 91, 93, 97

Mob-rule: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/dblake.gif

Bruce

Got my second Moderna dose done and have had minor side effects, unlike the first dose. Kind of strange, especially since I was bracing myself for a few days stuck in bed. The cooler weather might have helped, in my case.

JoePCool14

Quote from: dkblake on April 26, 2021, 04:09:52 PM
Despite the expected sparring over vaccination preferences, worth noting that as of right now, 1/7 of the respondents of the poll at the top of the thread have chosen one of the "not getting it" options. I'm not sure what broader polling is, and don't know if those sorts of polls can get at the "true" percentage of people opposed to getting the vaccine, but 1/7 against it sounds either right or somewhat low.

I'm willing to bet the AARoads community has a higher percentage of vaccine takers than the general population.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on April 26, 2021, 03:38:38 PM
Yeah, I certainly wouldn't describe the US health system as "awful" except maybe with regard to cost specifically. Vaccinations have been going at about the rate I expected, honestly.
Our health outcomes compared to other developed countries are pitiful.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 26, 2021, 04:29:17 PM

I'm willing to bet the AARoads community has a higher percentage of vaccine takers than the general population.

If only we could get HB vaccinated...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Roadgeekteen

I just got my first dose of Pfizer!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JoePCool14

Quote from: Rothman on April 26, 2021, 04:33:00 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 26, 2021, 04:29:17 PM
If only we could get HB vaccinated...

I like how HB actually was the one to start this thread, of all people on this forum.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on April 26, 2021, 04:32:27 PM

Do you mean the outcome of specific procedures in our nation is worse than the outcome of those same specific procedures elsewhere?  Or do you simply mean that we as a people are unhealthier?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2021, 05:18:48 PMDo you mean the outcome of specific procedures in our nation is worse than the outcome of those same specific procedures elsewhere?  Or do you simply mean that we as a people are unhealthier?

At the population level, we have lower life expectancy and higher infant mortality than many western European countries with socialized health care.  One US state (Alabama) is close to having an infant mortality rate that would disqualify it as a developed country if it were its own nation.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 26, 2021, 06:03:54 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2021, 05:18:48 PM
Do you mean the outcome of specific procedures in our nation is worse than the outcome of those same specific procedures elsewhere?  Or do you simply mean that we as a people are unhealthier?

At the population level, we have lower life expectancy and higher infant mortality than many western European countries with socialized health care.  One US state (Alabama) is close to having an infant mortality rate that would disqualify it as a developed country if it were its own nation.

But that isn't necessarily a commentary on our country's health care system.  Perhaps people simply are unable or unwilling to take advantage of that system.

It's a bit (but not exactly) like saying a city's schools are crap because graduation rates are low.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2021, 06:07:50 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 26, 2021, 06:03:54 PM

But that isn't necessarily a commentary on our country's health care system.  Perhaps people simply are unable or unwilling to take advantage of that system.

It's a bit (but not exactly) like saying a city's schools are crap because graduation rates are low.
So are Americans dumber or is the system just worse?

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 06:10:17 PM

My guess is neither one.  My guess is that out-of-pocket cost has a LOT to do with it.
Male pronouns, please.

kkt

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2021, 06:20:16 PM

My guess is neither one.  My guess is that out-of-pocket cost has a LOT to do with it.
So healthcare should be cheaper I guess?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on April 26, 2021, 06:20:56 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 04:51:02 PM
I just got my first dose of Pfizer!

Congrats!
Thanks! It's a relief finally having it, just can't wait for my second dose appointment on 5/17! Hopefully, the side effects won't be too bad for dose 2.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 06:21:26 PM

That's a tricky question, because "the cost of health care" can mean many different things.  Does it mean the amount of money your doctor/hospital spends in order to treat you?  Does it mean the amount of money the government spends on health care?  Does it mean the overall cost of your insurance plan?  Does it mean the amount of money taken out of your paycheck to afford that plan?  Does it mean the amount of money you still have to pay in the form of deductibles and copays?  Etc, etc, etc.  Lowering one of those numbers doesn't necessarily lower the others, so would doing so actually make health care "cheaper"?
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2021, 06:46:31 PM

That's a tricky question, because "the cost of health care" can mean many different things.  Does it mean the amount of money your doctor/hospital spends in order to treat you?  Does it mean the amount of money the government spends on health care?  Does it mean the overall cost of your insurance plan?  Does it mean the amount of money taken out of your paycheck to afford that plan?  Does it mean the amount of money you still have to pay in the form of deductibles and copays?  Etc, etc, etc.  Lowering one of those numbers doesn't necessarily lower the others, so would doing so actually make health care "cheaper"?
The cost you pay, not what the government or hospital pay.

Ben114

First dose of Pfizer done.

One more to go in three weeks.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on April 26, 2021, 04:32:27 PM

Yeah, I'd like "outcomes" to be much more clearly defined before I ventured to agree or disagree.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 26, 2021, 06:47:21 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2021, 06:46:31 PM

The cost you pay, not what the government or hospital pay.

Which could be one of several definitions I suggested.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2021, 06:07:50 PM

I would submit that if you are unable to take advantage of a system that is supposed to be meeting your needs, that system is functionally useless.

Much like if the Interstate system were built without on or off ramps. Sure, it's a world-class transportation system, but if you can't actually get on it and use it, what was the point of building it in the first place?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.