News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unpopular Anything Road-Related Opinions

Started by Ned Weasel, March 26, 2021, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: VTGoose on November 07, 2022, 10:09:14 AM
Multiple trips between Virginia and Florida (I-81/77/26/95/U.S. 301/I-75) bears this out. When properly passing a slower vehicle (usually at 5-8-10 MPH above the speed limit), it will usually be an asshole in a big pickup who parks on the bumper and tailgates until there is enough room to move right and out of the way. On three-lane parts of the interstate, they will be the ones who weave in and out of traffic across all three lanes.

On that note, I actually enjoy trying to move right before they try passing on the right. Sometimes you'll get an aggressive tailgater or two and it can be a bit of a game at times, but it still feels like a win to avoid being passed on the right.

JoePCool14

Not all people who drive big pickup trucks are assholes but a lot of assholes drive big pickup trucks.

Multiple trips between Virginia and Florida (I-81/77/26/95/U.S. 301/I-75) bears this out. When properly passing a slower vehicle (usually at 5-8-10 MPH above the speed limit), it will usually be an asshole in a big pickup who parks on the bumper and tailgates until there is enough room to move right and out of the way. On three-lane parts of the interstate, they will be the ones who weave in and out of traffic across all three lanes.

I almost got hit by someone doing some crazy weaving yesterday. The way they were doing it, it looked like they were purposely trying to cause chaos. They were threading the needle at close to 100 mph. More police on the road would cut down on a lot of this. I find that my trips into Wisconsin are a lot calmer due to the higher number of police on that stretch.

Lots of people are obnoxious drivers, and standards continue to fall.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on November 07, 2022, 10:55:23 AM
I actually enjoy trying to move right before they try passing on the right. Sometimes you'll get an aggressive tailgater or two and it can be a bit of a game at times, but it still feels like a win to avoid being passed on the right.

If someone is tailgating me, then I generally change lanes much more gradually than I otherwise would.  Put the blinker on and start to move right, then e-e-e-ever so slowly movie into the other lane.

Yes, it's a game.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kurumi

Might be unpopular opinion:
If there are a bunch of widely spaced vehicles to pass, I'll be in the left lane even if I'm not specifically passing someone at that time, instead of changing lanes more frequently. But if I see someone coming up in the rear view, even if they seem aggressive or excessively fast, I'll move over; go ahead.

Slower drivers can affect you for miles. A faster driver is usually out of the picture in a short time. (And occasionally they're good for mine-clearing in speed trap areas :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2022, 11:33:49 AM
Quote from: webny99 on November 07, 2022, 10:55:23 AM
I actually enjoy trying to move right before they try passing on the right. Sometimes you'll get an aggressive tailgater or two and it can be a bit of a game at times, but it still feels like a win to avoid being passed on the right.

If someone is tailgating me, then I generally change lanes much more gradually than I otherwise would.  Put the blinker on and start to move right, then e-e-e-ever so slowly movie into the other lane.

Yes, it's a game.

Seems like a good way to get into a road rage incident.

Quote from: kurumi on November 07, 2022, 11:56:11 AM
Might be unpopular opinion:
If there are a bunch of widely spaced vehicles to pass, I'll be in the left lane even if I'm not specifically passing someone at that time, instead of changing lanes more frequently. But if I see someone coming up in the rear view, even if they seem aggressive or excessively fast, I'll move over; go ahead.

Slower drivers can affect you for miles. A faster driver is usually out of the picture in a short time. (And occasionally they're good for mine-clearing in speed trap areas :-)

Depends on the situation, but I somewhat agree with this. I don't like to stay in the far left lane for long around here though. The third lane, if there are four total, is the best one.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 07, 2022, 12:03:58 PM
Seems like a good way to get into a road rage incident.

I've found that, as long as I'm actually moving into the right lane–no matter how gradually–there's no road rage to be found.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

When I'm being tailgated, I'll let off the gas until I'm at the speed limit, then set my cruise control.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 07, 2022, 12:44:23 PM
When I'm being tailgated, I'll let off the gas until I'm at the speed limit, then set my cruise control.

Whether I find that acceptable or not is highly dependent on the context. Definitely not in the left lane of the freeway.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on November 07, 2022, 05:40:02 PM

Whether I find that acceptable or not is highly dependent on the context. Definitely not in the left lane of the freeway.

I mean, I see no reason to continue to break the law solely because someone behind me wants me to break it more.

If I'm doing 75 in a 70 and you want do 6,200, give me a reasonable amount of space until passing can happen. Otherwise, you get to do 70 and I get to do malicious compliance. You aren't entitled to do any speed over the limit.

(If I'm in the left lane, I'm only there because I'm passing someone going under the limit. I'm not a monster.)

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 07, 2022, 06:25:01 PM
I mean, I see no reason to continue to break the law solely because someone behind me wants me to break it more.

Impeding traffic is breaking the law.  You're just deciding that it's more OK to break the law you want to break than the one he wants to break.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2022, 07:00:59 PM

Impeding traffic is breaking the law.  You're just deciding that it's more OK to break the law you want to break than the one he wants to break.

Damn right I am! Because I know which one Oklahoma actually enforces.

Bruce

Not all people who drive big pickup trucks are assholes but a lot of assholes drive big pickup trucks.

I'm convinced my neighbor modified their pickup to produce as much sound as it can, because I can feel it shake my house from a good distance away. This kind of vehicle modification (plus coal-rolling systems, absurd lifts, etc) should be banned and punishable by immediate forfeiture.

kphoger

Quote from: Bruce on November 07, 2022, 07:06:56 PM

I'm convinced my neighbor modified their pickup to produce as much sound as it can, because I can feel it shake my house from a good distance away. This kind of vehicle modification (plus coal-rolling systems, absurd lifts, etc) should be banned and punishable by immediate forfeiture.

Do you think that about pickups only, or also motorcycles?
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

On the other hand, if you're already breaking the law, there's not much of a reason to stop breaking the law right then.

If someone is tailgating excessively and moving right isn't an option (which isn't very often), I tend to just put my hazards on, and have had success getting them to back off in doing so. It is annoying to be tailgated but ultimately the tailgater will be at fault if an accident were to occur, and I see no reason to further mess with them without knowing why they might be in a hurry.

Quillz

Unpopular opinion: I like Clearview. And always have. And I don't understand the hatred it still gets. I think the main issue I had with it was when signs would combine it with the FHWA series fonts, but that's not really the fault of the font itself. Newer signs that are all Clearview look much better. Last time I was in Alaska, they had a lot of Clearview signage (especially in the Kenai Peninsula), and it looked great.

kphoger

Quote from: Quillz on November 08, 2022, 04:40:52 PM
Unpopular opinion: I like Clearview. And always have. And I don't understand the hatred it still gets. I think the main issue I had with it was when signs would combine it with the FHWA series fonts, but that's not really the fault of the font itself. Newer signs that are all Clearview look much better. Last time I was in Alaska, they had a lot of Clearview signage (especially in the Kenai Peninsula), and it looked great.

I like Clearview too, always have.

The hatred for Clearview seems to boil down to three main issues:

1.  For the same legibility, sign panel size may need to increase.
  2.  It presents little to no advantage over the old FHWA fonts.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  3.  There are more opportunities for error along the way from design to fabrication.
Male pronouns, please.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: kphoger on November 08, 2022, 04:48:45 PM

2.  It presents little to no advantage over the old FHWA fonts.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  3.  There are more opportunities for error along the way from design to fabrication.

4. A lot of people resist even the most minute change.

Quillz

I believe it was shown it had some small advantages in positive contrast, but actually no advantages (and possibly hindrances) in negative contrast. Which is why it's only ever been allowed for the former. (Although I've seen some negative contrast signage, usually warning signs so you'll get black legend on yellow background).

Scott5114

Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 08, 2022, 04:50:25 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 08, 2022, 04:48:45 PM

4. A lot of people resist even the most minute change.

5. Meeker & Associates is a corrupt organization that presented biased studies to DOTs to get them to buy Clearview licenses.

kphoger

(4) is a subset of (2), and (5) isn't major.   :)
Male pronouns, please.

Bruce

Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2022, 08:59:10 PM

Loud motorcycles are also a major menace. Hearing damage is no joke, folks! I'm terrified of developing tinnitus (already have ringing in my ears because of my neighbors) and definitely do not have the money to afford the surgery to correct hearing problems down the road.

vdeane

It can look fine, but it can also look bad.  The numbers look like ass, though.  This is a much better than this.  And this just makes my eyes bleed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Big John

Quote from: Bruce on November 08, 2022, 08:12:47 PM
Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2022, 08:59:10 PM

Loud motorcycles are also a major menace. Hearing damage is no joke, folks! I'm terrified of developing tinnitus (already have ringing in my ears because of my neighbors) and definitely do not have the money to afford the surgery to correct hearing problems down the road.

I had a neibor who spent a half hour revving up his Harley every time he used it.

algorerhythms

So if I'm breaking the law no matter what I do (and that's not the case here, as going the speed limit in the right lane when you want to go faster is not impeding traffic...) then, well, screw you, I'll choose which law I'll break, then.

kphoger

I mean, I see no reason to continue to break the law solely because someone behind me wants me to break it more. ... (If I'm in the left lane, I'm only there because I'm passing someone going under the limit. I'm not a monster.)

Quote from: algorerhythms on November 09, 2022, 09:47:37 AM
So if I'm breaking the law no matter what I do (and that's not the case here, as going the speed limit in the right lane when you want to go faster ...

Who said anything about being in the right lane?  Just you.

Quote from: algorerhythms on November 09, 2022, 09:47:37 AM
... is not impeding traffic...) then, well, screw you, I'll choose which law I'll break, then.

Laws vary by state, of course.  But, generally speaking, the legal definition of impeding traffic doesn't specify which lane it applies to.  For example, see the UVC:

Quote from: Uniform Vehicle Code, Millennium Edition
Chapter 11 – Rules of the Road

Article VIII – Speed Restrictions

§ 11-805 – Minimum speed regulation

(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

So, yeah, I agree that going exactly the speed limit would not likely be called "impeding the normal and reasonable movement of traffic".  But not because it's in the right lane.  If traffic is flowing at 75 mph, then going 25 mph in the right lane would be just as illegal as going 25 mph in the left lane under that definition.  If the speed limit is 60 mph and traffic is flowing at 75 mph, then slowing down to 60 just to tick someone off is a dick move, no matter which lane you're in.

(Many states do have an additional law that requires drivers to evacuate the left lane if someone faster wants to pass–and such laws generally don't say anything about whether either vehicle is obeying the speed limit or not.)
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.