News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MultiMillionMiler

Doesn't explain why massive decorations go up and radio stations taken over in November. November isn't even the same season.

One funny thing about New Years though, is that it seems to make the REAL new years January 2nd, due to everyone being drunk and everything being closed and the day basically being lost into oblivion. I don't drink or stay up all night, I may stay up till midnight or 1 but I treat it as a normal day and even go joyriding in my car taking advantage of the low traffic levels.

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 27, 2022, 12:19:30 PM
You do realize Christmas technically goes past the 25th?  My wife lost her shit one year when I started taking decorations down before the Epiphany. 

I saw a discussion earlier this month on another forum about when the Christmas season begins. My response: December 25. The four weeks prior that day are the Advent season.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

It's called commercialization. To answer number one.

Bigger question is why is stations like Z88 in Orlando, which is very God oriented, is celebrating the season before it begins and not during it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

95.5 "K-love" in NY is doing the same thing, and it sucks because their religious music is actually good. What would be wrong with just continuing to play it through the holidays. No reason to revert to same old holiday songs, when they have better Jesus music right there. Although they seem to have stopped that after the 25th.

roadman65

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 27, 2022, 12:34:43 PM
You do realize Christmas technically goes past the 25th?  My wife lost her shit one year when I started taking decorations down before the Epiphany. 

I saw a discussion earlier this month on another forum about when the Christmas season begins. My response: December 25. The four weeks prior that day are the Advent season.

That's about right. That is how the Catholics do it as well as some other churches.  Many Protestants think everyday is Easter and Christmas and think the Catholics are crazy for creating seasons. Therefore if Christmas got moved to July many denominations wouldn't even care if it did as long as you embrace yourself as saved is what really matters.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 27, 2022, 12:39:13 PM
95.5 "K-love" in NY is doing the same thing, and it sucks because their religious music is actually good. What would be wrong with just continuing to play it through the holidays. No reason to revert to same old holiday songs, when they have better Jesus music right there. Although they seem to have stopped that after the 25th.

K Love you mean the one that's got that idiot Scott in the morning? The one who seems flaky as he seems to rather talk to women listeners then men?

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Right, and to someone like my wife who also happens to be traditionally Catholic that actually means something to her.

Regarding MMM's statement about the emergency of decorations.  The change over usually occurs right as I'm taking Halloween decor down.  It's convenient for me to put the Christmas stuff up as the Halloween stuff goes back into storage, why work two days outside when I do everything at once?  Also, putting up the Christmas decor makes my wife happy given she enjoys the season.  This might actually shock the likes of MMM, but I actually do enjoy putting effort into things I know will make my wife happy. 

roadman65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 27, 2022, 12:43:58 PM

Right, and to someone like my wife who also happens to be traditionally Catholic that actually means something to her.

Regarding MMM’s statement about the emergency of decorations.  The change over usually occurs right as I’m taking Halloween decor down.  It’s convenient for me to put the Christmas stuff up as the Halloween stuff goes back into storage, why work two days outside when I do everything at once?  Also, putting up the Christmas decor makes my wife happy given she enjoys the season.  This might actually shock the likes of MMM, but I actually do enjoy putting effort into things I know will make my wife happy. 

I got a friend named Allan who won’t go to a Christmas party before Christmas Day because he says it’s not right. He made his Knights of Columbus reschedule their party to January as he felt hypocritical having one during Advent.

He takes his Catholic beliefs to heart too much.  Then again he embraces the Pontiff especially now after Francis fired Pavone from the priesthood because Father Pavone endorses Trump, but at the same time voted for Trump because of one issue: Abortion.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on December 27, 2022, 12:47:59 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 27, 2022, 12:43:58 PM

Regarding MMM's statement about the emergency of decorations.  The change over usually occurs right as I'm taking Halloween decor down.  It's convenient for me to put the Christmas stuff up as the Halloween stuff goes back into storage, why work two days outside when I do everything at once?  Also, putting up the Christmas decor makes my wife happy given she enjoys the season.  This might actually shock the likes of MMM, but I actually do enjoy putting effort into things I know will make my wife happy. 

. I got a friend named Allan who won't go to a Christmas party before Christmas because he says it's not right.

He takes his Catholic beliefs to heart too much.  Then again he embraces the Pontiff especially now after Francis fired Pavone from the priesthood because Father Pavone endorses Trump, but voted for Trump because of one issue: Abortion.

My wife comes from a traditional Hispanic family.  Following Catholic traditions is just something she her and brothers grew up with.  That said, I don't think I've ever heard mention the Pope before.  Her political standings tend to be middle of the road or non-existent much like me.

roadman65

No the Pope is usually not mentioned. However since John Paul died many who loved him, won't give his two succeeders credit like Van Roth fans of Van Halen not giving Sammy Hagar credit for his fine contributions to the band after Diamond Dave left.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: roadman65 on December 27, 2022, 12:42:01 PM

K Love you mean the one that's got that idiot Scott in the morning? The one who seems flaky as he seems to rather talk to women listeners then men?

Who cares? I just like the songs.

Rothman

And then you have the 12 days of Christmas after Christmas.  It's all quite complicated.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 27, 2022, 01:01:48 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 27, 2022, 12:42:01 PM

K Love you mean the one that’s got that idiot Scott in the morning? The one who seems flaky as he seems to rather talk to women listeners then men?

Who cares? I just like the songs.
No I’m not asking you to back me on my convictions of Scott W. Smith.  I’m asking is it part of the same K Love syndication that Is from California broadcasted throughout the US?

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

I don't know the people involved. I usually switch stations during commercials. I know the have talked to each other but I haven't heard many station call-ins.

roadman65

Quote from: Rothman on December 27, 2022, 01:03:36 PM
And then you have the 12 days of Christmas after Christmas.  It's all quite complicated.

Not really. Cause the holiday is both religious and secular.  Over the years people would shop during the month before Christmas for the gifts to place under their tree. The stores decorated to enhance the atmosphere for their shoppers that later became traditional for people. Over time people began to think the shopping season is Christmas and that became secular Christmas.

Also many denominations don't have seasons either. So that plays a big part. Only some like Catholics keep their tradition and say it's canon always, even though many Catholics don't follow their own rules.  Many Catholics believe in both Secular and Catholic Christmases together.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 27, 2022, 01:11:18 PM
I don't know the people involved. I usually switch stations during commercials. I know the have talked to each other but I haven't heard many station call-ins.
You mean you haven't heard the DJs announce their names?  You haven't heard Scott say he's Scott between songs?

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

Quote from: roadman65 on December 27, 2022, 12:58:28 PM
No the Pope is usually not mentioned. However since John Paul died many who loved him, won't give his two succeeders credit like Van Roth fans of Van Halen not giving Sammy Hagar credit for his fine contributions to the band after Diamond Dave left.

I'm a Protestant, but Van Hagar is overrated.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hbelkins

One really cruddy thing about the scheduling of holidays is that for many, they're clustered during terrible weather months.

November -- Veterans Day and two days for Thanksgiving (and every four years, presidential election day).

December -- Two days for Christmas, and one day for New Year's (and every four years, gubernatorial inauguration day).

January -- One day for New Year's and MLK Day.

Then you have to wait until late May for Memorial Day, then July for Independence Day, then September for Labor Day, then until November when the Parade of Winter Holidays begins anew.

It would be nicer to have more holidays when the weather is warmer, and not have three-quarters of them concentrated into three months.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JoePCool14

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 27, 2022, 12:15:15 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 27, 2022, 10:54:04 AM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 24, 2022, 07:51:19 PM
Holidays in general are over-rated and an unhealthy obsession. If life was good enough that people could reasonably enjoy themselves more often, there wouldn't be such a desperate need for holidays. Plus, they lose meaning when there's 100+ of them every year.

This post is so dumb, it honestly feels like bait.

If you think Christmas is on the same level as something like Halloween or Presidents' Day, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Part of the issue with Christmas is that it's hyped up as early as November 1st. So by the time you get around to December 26, you are completely done with it. Contrast that to the liturgical calendar, where the true Christmas season goes for roughly 2 weeks, starting on December 25th (or 24th, I guess).

Not Christmas specifically, but when too many holidays get mashed together in too short a period, and radio stations start playing the music 2 months in advance and a month after, it becomes annoying. The unhealthy obsession thing is a true fact from psychology. When people get their hopes up for one time of the year and then flights get canceled, or plans get foiled, it's much more disappointing than if they did that stuff on a more regular basis. It's like if something goes wrong on someone's birthday and instead of having the party another day, they don't because it's not the right day. Who cares? They should have it anyway and not miss out on the fun. And you aren't even done December 26th because New Years (which is the dumbest in my opinion).

You're not talking about Christmas specifically, but what other holiday gets 2 months of music? What are you even saying anymore?

Also, there is a significance to doing things on the day. Even if it's just cultural. I got an earful from my mother when I suggested we "just do Mother's Day another weekend" because something else was going on.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: hbelkins on December 27, 2022, 01:17:21 PM
One really cruddy thing about the scheduling of holidays is that for many, they're clustered during terrible weather months.

November -- Veterans Day and two days for Thanksgiving (and every four years, presidential election day).

December -- Two days for Christmas, and one day for New Year's (and every four years, gubernatorial inauguration day).

Then you have to wait until late May for Memorial Day, then July for Independence Day, then September for Labor Day, then until November when the Parade of Winter Holidays begins anew.

It would be nicer to have more holidays when the weather is warmer, and not have three-quarters of them concentrated into three months.

Exactly, they should be more evenly distributed.

@JoePCool14, when holidays interfere too much with normal plans, they become problematic.

1995hoo

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 27, 2022, 01:57:32 PM

Also, there is a significance to doing things on the day. Even if it's just cultural. I got an earful from my mother when I suggested we "just do Mother's Day another weekend" because something else was going on.

On the other hand, sometimes that works out for the best. In 2019, we celebrated Father's Day a week early because my brother was in town on business, and it was a really good Father's Day–I made ribs and cornbread, we had good beer, and we all had a good time. It turned out to be the last time my brother saw our father up and about moving around before our father died a month later. So had we insisted on celebrating Father's Day on the "proper" day, that last great memory would never have been made.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 27, 2022, 02:05:03 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 27, 2022, 01:57:32 PM

On the other hand, sometimes that works out for the best. In 2019, we celebrated Father's Day a week early because my brother was in town on business, and it was a really good Father's Day–I made ribs and cornbread, we had good beer, and we all had a good time. It turned out to be the last time my brother saw our father up and about moving around before our father died a month later. So had we insisted on celebrating Father's Day on the "proper" day, that last great memory would never have been made.

I suppose doing it ahead of time is better than asking to do it late. I'm glad you were able to celebrate that one early.

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 27, 2022, 02:04:10 PM
@JoePCool14, when holidays interfere too much with normal plans, they become problematic.

?????

So no kid has ever wanted to take two weeks off of school or employees wanting to get a couple days of PTO? Or at the very least have a different routine than almost every other day of the year? What are you even saying???

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

elsmere241

Quote from: hbelkins on December 27, 2022, 01:17:21 PM

Through this year, I got the first Monday in February off.  We joked that it was "National Hangover Day" since it's usually the day after the Super Bowl.  In fact, it was Lincoln's birthday observed, so that we didn't have back-to-back Mondays off.  It's been dropped for 2023.

Also dropped is Columbus Day, previously observed on the second Monday in October - which happens to be the day Canadians observe Thanksgiving.

We do get Good Friday and Juneteenth off, and Election Day is every other year for us.  Can you tell I work for a county government?

mgk920

And there you also have the Orthodox Christian sects that still have not adopted Pope Gregory's corrected calendar and celebrate all of the holidays nearly a week after the rest of us.

Mike

Rothman

Quote from: mgk920 on December 27, 2022, 02:33:30 PM
And there you also have the Orthodox Christian sects that still have now adopted Pope Gregory's corrected calendar and celebrate all of the holidays nearly a week after the rest of us.

Mike
When I lived in Russia, it was common for people to get time off to celebrate all four dates -- two from each calendar.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.