News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 30, 2022, 08:15:22 PMAs an example of this mentality, there was an Oklahoma US House representative who got into it with constituents at a town hall over some position of his or another, with one angrily demanding that the House rep actually represent the views of the people that paid his salary. His reply was that it was "bullcrap" that the public paid his salary, because he owned a plumbing business that represented a larger share of his income than his Congressional salary does, and so he didn't particularly care what the constituent wanted. This representative was re-elected to his seat, and only left the House because he was elected to higher office.

I knew who you were talking about, but not that he had moved up.  Ah, fooey.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2022, 12:13:34 PM
Overnight trains are overrated.  You don't get to see the landscape, and it's hard to stay asleep.

Or when your overnight train is scheduled to pass through the boring parts at night and the most scenic parts during the day, and it gets delayed for 11 hours in Omaha due to a broken-down train on a single-track section up ahead, so you end up crossing Nebraska in broad daylight and going through the Rockies and Glenwood Canyon in the middle of the night.

When my brother and I rode the California Zephyr, that happened to us. There was a couple from Europe on the train making a cross-country trip and they chose the Zephyr to go west instead of a northern route because they'd get to see the Rockies. Sorry 'bout their luck.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

skluth

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 30, 2022, 12:16:21 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 30, 2022, 12:13:34 PM
Overnight trains are overrated.  You don't get to see the landscape, and it's hard to stay asleep.

Sometimes not seeing the landscape is a perk.

Overnight trains may be perfect for every trip east out of Denver

Otto Yamamoto

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on December 27, 2022, 05:04:12 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 27, 2022, 04:59:27 PM
Basic ones that just happen to involve a man and woman are ok, just not the extreme sexual ...

Man-goat analingus?
* copies to 'favorite forum quotes' *
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

roadman65

Cars nowadays.  As before many of the features were extra options, that if you wanted them, you would work extra hard to achieve them. Of course you would feel honored to own therefore.

Today, all the options of yesterday are standard and are even forced upon us such as power windows.  As a former toll collector I can't tell you how many patrons would open their doors to pay a toll cause they couldn't afford to fix the windows.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GaryV

Quote from: roadman65 on January 02, 2023, 06:19:57 AM
As a former toll collector I can't tell you how many patrons would open their doors to pay a toll cause they couldn't afford to fix the windows.
Maybe if the tolls weren't so high ...

roadman65

Quote from: GaryV on January 02, 2023, 07:20:48 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 02, 2023, 06:19:57 AM
As a former toll collector I can't tell you how many patrons would open their doors to pay a toll cause they couldn't afford to fix the windows.
Maybe if the tolls weren't so high ...

That wouldn't be enough to fix a window. They cost plenty.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

As we all know, manual windows never go off track.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kirbykart

The Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls. I've done it twice. It's overrated as hell.

Rothman

Quote from: kirbykart on January 02, 2023, 05:25:24 PM
The Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls. I've done it twice. It's overrated as hell.

Can't get that close to the falls otherwise.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Niagara can be kind of a let down compared to some of the falls out west.  My wife didn't really care for how controlled and civilized the falls were.  I think she was envisioning some more along the lines to Vernal Falls or something.  She wanted to visit Niagara on our post-wedding trip, her impression was interesting for me to observe.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 02, 2023, 05:41:59 PM

Niagara can be kind of a let down compared to some of the falls out west.  My wife didn't really care for how controlled and civilized the falls were.  I think she was envisioning some more along the lines to Vernal Falls or something.  She wanted to visit Niagara on our post-wedding trip, her impression was interesting for me to observe.

This is perhaps not too terribly surprising, given that the commercialization of Niagara Falls was one of the motivations for the legislation creating national parks.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

Rothman

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 02, 2023, 06:14:01 PM

This is perhaps not too terribly surprising, given that the commercialization of Niagara Falls was one of the motivations for the legislation creating national parks.
I do wonder about the establishment of the state park.  I mean, the Maid of the Mist and ugly elevator are there, but I'd be surprised if the state park wasn't set up to prevent more commercial encroachment on the cliff.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Well the Canada side is sure boomed since I was there last in 1996.  The tower that changed names that was once the Seagrams Tower to later be Minolta Tower, was a structure that stood out as it was one of two tall objects in that area. Now it's dwarfed and hardly noticeable among the tall hotels built next to it.

The park on the US side might of prevented that in Niagara Falls, NY but still that particular city has areas downtown to build including an American version to Skylon Tower, but hasn't.

Sheryl Crowe

J N Winkler

Quote from: Rothman on January 02, 2023, 05:38:24 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on January 02, 2023, 05:25:24 PMThe Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls. I've done it twice. It's overrated as hell.

When I visited Niagara Falls in 2017, I didn't even consider doing the Maid of the Mist.  It is an AAA star/diamond-rated attraction, but I knew I wasn't interested in seeing the falls from that close up, let alone being part of a tour group, dealing with those thin plastic ponchos they hand out to keep you from getting soaked, and feeling trapped until I was once again on my own.  A foot trip over the Rainbow Bridge to see the falls from the Canadian side was enough for me.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Rothman

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 02, 2023, 06:55:37 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on January 02, 2023, 05:25:24 PMThe Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls. I've done it twice. It's overrated as hell.

When I visited Niagara Falls in 2017, I didn't even consider doing the Maid of the Mist.  It is an AAA star/diamond-rated attraction, but I knew I wasn't interested in seeing the falls from that close up, let alone being part of a tour group, dealing with those thin plastic ponchos they hand out to keep you from getting soaked, and feeling trapped until I was once again on my own.  A foot trip over the Rainbow Bridge to see the falls from the Canadian side was enough for me.
Well, of course, you gotta know your limitations.  Still, getting that close to the falls is a one-of-a-kind experience for those willing and able to take the opportunity.

thenetwork

But the Niagara Whirlpool Jet boats are well worth the price of admission.  Rode those on two separate occasions, and both with the open-deck seating.

jeffandnicole

If you did it once and thought it was overrated, why did you do it again?

I've done it from both countries.  It's a tourist attraction.  It's enjoyable. 

We also did the walk behind the falls on the Canadian side. 

Scott5114

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 02, 2023, 10:22:05 PM

If you did it once and thought it was overrated, why did you do it again?

Given that he's 13, he probably didn't have much of a choice in the matter.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Cave of the Winds >>> Maid of the Mist

(You can choose how soaked to get, do it at your own pace, and get much closer to an actual waterfall (Bridal Veil Valls) so it's a much more authentic and enjoyable experience.)

I'm curious if this was the US side or the Canadian side? The views aren't quite as good from the US side but it's a lot less commercialized with more parkland and open space. The Canadian side is very urbanized and often frightfully crowded.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on January 02, 2023, 10:45:53 PM
Cave of the Winds >>> Maid of the Mist

(You can choose how soaked to get, do it at your own pace, and get much closer to an actual waterfall (Bridal Veil Valls) so it's a much more authentic and enjoyable experience.)

I'm curious if this was the US side or the Canadian side? The views aren't quite as good from the US side but it's a lot less commercialized with more parkland and open space. The Canadian side is very urbanized and often frightfully crowded.

I've been to both sides, my opinion holds the same regardless.  When I took my wife, it was on the Canadian side.

Rothman

In general, Canada has allowed much more commercialization in their parkland than the U.S.  The contrast can be especially stark between the national parks of each country.

formulanone

Quote from: Rothman on January 02, 2023, 08:30:44 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on January 02, 2023, 06:55:37 PM

Well, of course, you gotta know your limitations.  Still, getting that close to the falls is a one-of-a-kind experience for those willing and able to take the opportunity.

I enjoyed it. I think you know you're getting a crowded attraction when you go there, although there's probably far quieter times of year than June (when I went). I don't think my family waited more than 5-10 minutes to do any one particular thing, except to wait to board the Maid of the Mist so as to get a good spot, which was perhaps 15-20 minutes.

I don't have the same problems with crowds; honestly, I spend enough time alone. It was about half as crowded as I figured it would be. But everyone's different and just figure I'm a little more of an ambivert than I'd like to admit.

Interestingly, everyone told me for years that Niagara Falls Is Overrated And Disappointing for years, that it thankfully didn't match either expectation, so that's one of those pleasant surprises. Although the district around there is seriously bereft of dinner choices. Do I need to go again?...not really. It's still a distance away from me and there's more to see.

elsmere241

We went to the Canadian side last summer, but did not do Maid of the Mist or the Canadian equivalent because my wife was too tired.  She wants to go back and do one or the other - we'll probably do that after we check in to a hotel or something.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.