AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I-49 Coming to Missouri  (Read 293947 times)

Gordon

• Last Login: Today at 09:44:51 AM
Re: I-49 Coming to Missouri
« Reply #900 on: December 13, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »

I think as soon as the environmental update is done they will let the contract. Grants are usually let in a year so I look for sometime in the fall of 2019.

Gordon

• Last Login: Today at 09:44:51 AM
« Reply #901 on: March 06, 2019, 06:48:45 PM »

MODOT now has a project site (I49 Missouri/Arkansas connector) and says that they are updating Highway plans and environmental in 2019. they will award to contractor in the spring of 2020 and completion date is in 2022. https://www.modot.org/search/project.

wdcrft63

• Last Login: September 21, 2019, 06:38:40 PM
« Reply #902 on: March 06, 2019, 07:31:52 PM »

MODOT now has a project site (I49 Missouri/Arkansas connector) and says that they are updating Highway plans and environmental in 2019. they will award to contractor in the spring of 2020 and completion date is in 2022. https://www.modot.org/search/project.
That link doesn't work for me, but this one does:
https://newstalkkzrg.com/2019/03/06/highway-commission-approves-finances-timeline-for-completion-of-i-49-missouri-arkansas-connector/

mvak36

• 2016 WS champs!!!!

• Last Login: Today at 01:45:06 PM
« Reply #903 on: March 06, 2019, 10:52:47 PM »

That link doesn't work for me, but this one does:
https://newstalkkzrg.com/2019/03/06/highway-commission-approves-finances-timeline-for-completion-of-i-49-missouri-arkansas-connector/
Thank you for finding this. That's great to hear. I can't wait.

More details: https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/local_news/i--bypass-slated-for-completion-in-summer/article_fab6bc9a-521a-5dad-add4-125510f2f5f4.html

Project website: https://www.modot.org/i-49-missouriarkansas-connector
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:57:45 PM by mvak36 »
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Henry

• Last Login: Today at 12:16:12 AM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #904 on: March 08, 2019, 10:24:46 AM »

This is certainly welcome news! And then after the BVB is fully completed, we can worry about getting Fort Smith and Texarkana connected.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 08:58:47 AM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #905 on: March 08, 2019, 10:32:44 AM »

This is certainly welcome news! And then after the BVB is fully completed, we can worry about getting Fort Smith and Texarkana connected.

Going by what Dick Trammel said at the last ribbon cutting I attended, the 412 Bypass is next after the Bella Vista Bypass.

ARDOT has shown many times that NWA and Central Arkansas are high priorities while everything else is often ignored.
a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest -- Simon & Garfunkel

MikieTimT

• Last Login: September 19, 2019, 10:17:29 PM
« Reply #906 on: March 08, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »

First there's got to be a connection TO Ft. Smith before they worry much about south of where AR-549 ties into US-71.  Not currently any news on funding sources for the Arkansas River bridge or any of the rest of the Alma to Barling gap.  That's likely to be the next focus after the 412 Bypass projects are done, but that's still a few years time yet as only the middle section is done on that, and I haven't heard that they've identified funding sources for the east and west segments of that one.

MikieTimT

« Reply #907 on: March 08, 2019, 01:50:19 PM »

Going by what Dick Trammel said at the last ribbon cutting I attended, the 412 Bypass is next after the Bella Vista Bypass.

ARDOT has shown many times that NWA and Central Arkansas are high priorities while everything else is often ignored.

Up until the last 6 years or so, I wouldn't say that even NWA was a priority for ARDOT, just LR.  Had to grow to a near TOP 100 MSA first and get federal funds and attention before the state paid much attention to this part of the state, other than Hammerschmidt getting I-49/I-540 built back in the 90's.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 08:58:47 AM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #908 on: March 09, 2019, 08:03:49 AM »

Up until the last 6 years or so, I wouldn't say that even NWA was a priority for ARDOT, just LR.  Had to grow to a near TOP 100 MSA first and get federal funds and attention before the state paid much attention to this part of the state, other than Hammerschmidt getting I-49/I-540 built back in the 90's.

Well, there's Walmart, Tyson and JB HUnt. Hammerschmidt brought home the pork, but 540/49 was envisioned as a favor for the big 3, even though it had been proposed as far back as the 1960's.
a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest -- Simon & Garfunkel

MikieTimT

« Reply #909 on: March 10, 2019, 09:00:39 AM »

Well, there's Walmart, Tyson and JB HUnt. Hammerschmidt brought home the pork, but 540/49 was envisioned as a favor for the big 3, even though it had been proposed as far back as the 1960's.

It's certainly not "pork" and certainly more than just a favor to the 3 Fortune 500 companies.  US-71 was a deadly highway packed with truck traffic and few ways of overtaking it in the mountains for those of us going to U of A back then and returning home a couple of weekends a month.  Most of the students at U of A aren't actually from NWA, but other parts of Arkansas with a large contingent from Texas as well.  US-71 was so bad, that I would either schedule my trip to go in the dark for less traffic, or take AR-59, which is actually worse, but without the truck traffic that 71 had.  And who can forget the signs south of Mountainburg on old 71 that had the running death count for the road back then.  It may be "Scenic 71" now, but it was just deadly and necessary before the interstate went in.  Once this final section of Bella Vista Bypass is completed, the segment of I-49 from I-40 to I-435/I-470 is complete with the exception of fixing the interchange at Carthage to route around Joplin on 171.  There will be additional traffic choosing I-49 since they don't have to deal with 9 traffic lights in Jane/Bella Vista any longer, which will then focus the need on crossing the Arkansas River at Barling to tie in the next segment.  Whether it's accomplished via perceived "pork" or "favors" to certain companies when only certain segments are focused on, the real benefit is the expansion of the interstate system to better serve the motoring public, and it can't happen soon enough in the Ft. Smith area and south either.  Texarkana is poised to be pressure valve of traffic with I-69/I-369 in about 15 years, and US-71 north of there will become the next deadly stretch of "Scenic 71" with truck traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.