AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-69 Ohio River Bridge  (Read 279172 times)

jnewkirk77

• Last Login: September 21, 2020, 10:10:16 PM
Re: I-69 Ohio River Bridge
« Reply #1025 on: July 01, 2020, 10:51:55 PM »

I love historical significance as much as the next guy, but it makes absolutely no sense to keep the northbound bridge. Not only is the southbound one 30+ years newer, it is noticibly wider.

Same here, but in my reading of the DEIS from 2014, the costs of repair and maintenance of the SB bridge have historically been higher than for the NB, and seem likely to remain so.

It is also noteworthy that the NB bridge lasted 50 years before it needed a deck overlay, whereas the SB had to be done in 1979, just 14 years after it was built.

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 12:33:23 AM
« Reply #1026 on: July 01, 2020, 11:50:11 PM »

I love historical significance as much as the next guy, but it makes absolutely no sense to keep the northbound bridge. Not only is the southbound one 30+ years newer, it is noticibly wider.

Same here, but in my reading of the DEIS from 2014, the costs of repair and maintenance of the SB bridge have historically been higher than for the NB, and seem likely to remain so.

It is also noteworthy that the NB bridge lasted 50 years before it needed a deck overlay, whereas the SB had to be done in 1979, just 14 years after it was built.
Older design, but higher quality it appears.

Henry

• Last Login: September 22, 2020, 08:29:15 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #1027 on: July 02, 2020, 08:53:22 PM »

About time we got a definitive alignment for the bridge! I imagine a cable-stayed design will be used here; it would be nice if they made that (like they did for I-65 in Louisville and I-70 in St. Louis).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

edwaleni

• Last Login: September 22, 2020, 03:09:26 PM
« Reply #1028 on: July 03, 2020, 12:41:22 PM »

About time we got a definitive alignment for the bridge! I imagine a cable-stayed design will be used here; it would be nice if they made that (like they did for I-65 in Louisville and I-70 in St. Louis).

I agree.

DOT's tend to use templates to make the bidding process less complicated and more predictable.  But it also makes for repetitive looking bridges and in one case caused a national crisis in bridge lifespans.

The cable stayed, twin tower approach is popular right now in the midwest and a few other places.

Probably a variation would be the new Quad Cities bridge over the Mississippi. IDOT was the lead I think on that one.

Florida DOT depending on the district can be incredibly innovative or incredibly boring. D1 and D4 tend to be more creative, while D2 prefers bread and butter.

Since KDOT is the lead agency, one would have to take a look at how unique they are. The new span east of Louisville would be a good example.

The "Modjeski" style cantilevers of the 1920-1960 is the most common in the US, which is when a large majority of road bridges were built.

Now we seem to be in a post-Modjeski cable stayed phase of bridge design.

mvak36

• Super Bowl Champs!!!!

• Last Login: Today at 12:01:08 AM
« Reply #1029 on: August 19, 2020, 10:48:27 AM »

No new updates but something to look forward to.

https://i69ohiorivercrossing.com/i-69-orx-office-consolidating/

The Project Team continues to work toward the selection of a preferred alternative and the development of the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) and Record of Decision (ROD) and expects to publish the FEIS later this year or in early 2021.

When the FEIS is published, open office hours or community meetings will be scheduled in both Evansville and Henderson.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.