The universe according to MMM

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 21, 2022, 12:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think MMM really is?

Wesley Crusher
George Santos
Peewee Herman
Morshu from the Zelda CDi games
Potara fused FritzOwl and Kernals12 (KernalsOwl)
George Soros
Wesley Santos (Wesley Crusher and George Santos fusion)

kkt

This is just so much more about the sex lives of forum members than I ever wanted to know.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on January 02, 2023, 02:26:55 PM
This is just so much more about the sex lives of forum members than I ever wanted to know.

Between things like these MMM type threads (yes I know that I'm the one who started this thread) and what's going on in an Illinois thread it made me question what I'm even doing here nowadays.  The only reason I even logged into today was the legitimate updates about what was going with the Fernbridge. 

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 02, 2023, 02:46:18 PM

Between things like these MMM type threads (yes I know that I'm the one who started this thread) and what's going on in an Illinois thread it made me question what I'm even doing here nowadays.  The only reason I even logged into today was the legitimate updates about what was going with the Fernbridge.

You subconsciously want to see more of my fictional highway plans, so you keep coming back hoping in the deepest depths of your mind that I've started a new MMM thread. Just my guess as a psychology graduate.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 02, 2023, 03:00:47 PM

You subconsciously want to see more of my fictional highway plans, so you keep coming back hoping in the deepest depths of your mind that I've started a new MMM thread. Just my guess as a psychology graduate.

You might want to ask for a refund on that psychology degree.

vdeane

I'm pretty sure he was just sick and tired of you polluting whichever thread (I think Minor Things that Bother You) hosted your aviation rants and arguments (for several pages straight!), as were we all.

For punishment, I propose MMM be forced to listed to "Super Freaky Girl" by Nicki Minaj.  On a loop.  For a whole month.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 02, 2023, 03:25:11 PM
It was free. That means I actually have an extra $20,000 at my disposal in my other account. Almost forgot!

How much money you have is right down there with your sex life as far as things I didn't want to know about.

Max Rockatansky

Multiverses are already an established part of Star Trek lore.  It's awfully hard to have time paradox's when you have a boat load of alternate universes to pull from.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: vdeane on January 02, 2023, 03:30:33 PM

I'm pretty sure he was just sick and tired of you polluting whichever thread (I think Minor Things that Bother You) hosted your aviation rants and arguments (for several pages straight!), as were we all.

For punishment, I propose MMM be forced to listed to "Super Freaky Girl" by Nicki Minaj.  On a loop.  For a whole month.

Aviation rants? I just criticized that commercial air travel and military planes are pathetically slow. It's not asking too much to be able to travel at least 1 mile per second in the air. The fact that even military planes don't even do this is disappointing. 1200 mph is snail speed in the sky.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 02, 2023, 03:51:07 PM
Multiverses are already an established part of Star Trek lore.  It's awfully hard to have time paradox's when you have a boat load of alternate universes to pull from.

But then why do they act like the timelines of one universe affect the other. Why does Captain Braxton feel such an urgent need to protect the timeline if it doesn't affect itself in the same universe. What's the point of the "temporal integrity commission" if every different timeline is a unique universe?

kkt

They've created time paradoxes accidentally enough times, with bad effects.  Right back to the original series episode "City on the Edge of Forever" in which when the timeline was broken Starfleet and the Federation disappeared but after they fixed the timeline everything returned to normal.

MultiMillionMiler

Yeah but they always fix it, they should try not fixing it and see how the Universe deals with it. See if they can thwart logic. When they fix it, how do we know it's their free will and not the laws of physics really pulling the strings? They should try leaving the paradoxes as is just to see what happens is what I'm saying.

kkt

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 02, 2023, 04:28:40 PM
Yeah but they always fix it, they should try not fixing it and see how the Universe deals with it. See if they can thwart logic. When they fix it, how do we know it's their free will and not the laws of physics really pulling the strings? They should try leaving the paradoxes as is just to see what happens is what I'm saying.

They saw how the universe dealt with it in "City on the Edge..."  No more Federation or Starfleet.  The landing party were effectively marooned forever unless they could change the time line back.  And it looked like a pretty desolate spot, not big on food or water other than whatever they brough down with them before the Enterprise was gone.

MultiMillionMiler

Yet they didn't all disappear, nor the communicators, tricorders..etc, which doesn't make sense.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 02, 2023, 08:47:25 PM
Yet they didn't all disappear, nor the communicators, tricorders..etc, which doesn't make sense.

Proof of the multiverse, problem solved.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 02, 2023, 08:50:57 PM

Yeah but either changing the timeline affects everything in the future in that universe, or nothing because of the parallel Universe's. Not some weird point in between such as only certain things changing and others not.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on January 02, 2023, 08:57:20 PM

Yeah but either changing the timeline affects everything in the future in that universe, or nothing because of the parallel Universe's. Not some weird point in between such as only certain things changing and others not.

What proof in the show is there that it wasn't an alternate universe?  They could have slid into an alternate universe and then came back to the one they knew (or was close enough).

kkt

They mumbled some Treknobabble about how people that were right next to the Guardian of Forever were not affected.  Dramatic necessity - they needed to have some way to repair the damage to the timeline.

But, it's time travel.  How much sense do you expect it to make?

TheHighwayMan3561

TNG did make a long-term change to its universe when Tasha Yar was sent back on the Enterprise-C in Yesterday's Enterprise, who had a half-Romulan daughter in the past that eventually rose through the ranks of the Romulan military and became an adversary of the TNG crew.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Evan_Th

Quote from: kkt on January 02, 2023, 09:37:18 PM

They mumbled some Treknobabble about how people that were right next to the Guardian of Forever were not affected.  Dramatic necessity - they needed to have some way to repair the damage to the timeline.

But, it's time travel.  How much sense do you expect it to make?

It could make more sense, like with James P. Hogan's Proteus Operation, which goes all-out Many-Worlds multiverse.  It's a good book; I recommend it.

triplemultiplex

This thread got even more funny over the long weekend. :-D

What are we talking about now, time travel?  For me, time travel stories are usually about a lazy writing attempt to plop your futuristic characters down in the time the show actually being made and seen so you can have them point at things and go, "Wow, they're doing that?  Those dummies!  I can't believe how terrible humans used to be."  It's scifi hack, if I'm being blunt.  It takes a good story to hide the crutch of time travel.  Trek usually fails at this, but sometimes they pull a rabbit out of their hat.  Like Star Trek IV, they tossed enough humor in there to make a decent movie.

Time travel is possible, of course, but only forward.  You can go faster than normal by traveling at relativistic speeds or by parking yourself next to an enormous gravity well, like with a black hole.  They played with that a little on The Orville.  One time, the ship hides form the Kazon by parking itself just beyond the event horizon of a black hole.  Another episode, they did a time-travel story where they get back to their own time by deactivating whatever shielding the ship has that prevents time on the ship from moving faster when the ship is going faster than light.  They simply take a long enough trip for the whatever-hundred years to pass and arrive at Earth the same time as they left.  While the time travel mechanism that initially stranded them in the past was hack, I do give credit for using real science to get themselves back.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Max Rockatansky

Oh hai Mark!

kphoger

Scott, thank you for your explanation of the technology.  You helped me win a round of 'What Came First' the other day.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 03, 2023, 10:48:28 AM
This thread got even more funny over the long weekend. :-D

What are we talking about now, time travel?  For me, time travel stories are usually about a lazy writing attempt to plop your futuristic characters down in the time the show actually being made and seen so you can have them point at things and go, "Wow, they're doing that?  Those dummies!  I can't believe how terrible humans used to be."  It's scifi hack, if I'm being blunt.  It takes a good story to hide the crutch of time travel.  Trek usually fails at this, but sometimes they pull a rabbit out of their hat.  Like Star Trek IV, they tossed enough humor in there to make a decent movie.

Time travel is possible, of course, but only forward.  You can go faster than normal by traveling at relativistic speeds or by parking yourself next to an enormous gravity well, like with a black hole.  They played with that a little on The Orville.  One time, the ship hides form the Kazon by parking itself just beyond the event horizon of a black hole.  Another episode, they did a time-travel story where they get back to their own time by deactivating whatever shielding the ship has that prevents time on the ship from moving faster when the ship is going faster than light.  They simply take a long enough trip for the whatever-hundred years to pass and arrive at Earth the same time as they left.  While the time travel mechanism that initially stranded them in the past was hack, I do give credit for using real science to get themselves back.

No evidence of time dilation either. It's just mathematical gobbledygook, a theory, nothing more. And even that wouldn't be travel, its just perception.They seriously expect me to believe that everyone, or every atom, has their own "clock" due to moving at different speeds, or that the earth's core is 2-3 years younger than the surface due to increased gravity? Come on LOL

Max Rockatansky

Time dilation is easily observed, you can even measure it to small degrees on airplanes.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2023, 01:50:02 PM
Time dilation is easily observed, you can even measure it to small degrees on airplanes.

I think Atomic clocks are a scam. You can't measure billionths of a second. There is no physical reason why the flow of time would slow down due to speed or acceleration. One thing has nothing to do with the other. It's just a mathematical representation of perception. It's not like fewer seconds are actually passing for you.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.