News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The universe according to MMM

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 21, 2022, 12:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think MMM really is?

Wesley Crusher
George Santos
Peewee Herman
Morshu from the Zelda CDi games
Potara fused FritzOwl and Kernals12 (KernalsOwl)
George Soros
Wesley Santos (Wesley Crusher and George Santos fusion)

US 89

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 28, 2023, 11:44:58 PM
Actually, I am an idiot. It wouldn't go down to the Vegas Strip, it would simply follow the entire length of US 93 in Nevada. I got my alignment mixed up sorry!

Something tells me you've never been on US 93 in eastern Nevada. Allow me to give you a little insight as to what the traffic on that road looks like...

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: US 89 on March 01, 2023, 01:53:39 AM
Actually, I am an idiot. It wouldn't go down to the Vegas Strip, it would simply follow the entire length of US 93 in Nevada. I got my alignment mixed up sorry!

Something tells me you've never been on US 93 in eastern Nevada. Allow me to give you a little insight as to what the traffic on that road looks like...

How much busier is US 95 in Nevada, which is proposed as I-11?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

LilianaUwU

(images of what I assume is the void)
Good lord, it's so empty that not even FritzOwl would run an Interstate through there.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

hotdogPi

Quote from: LilianaUwU on March 01, 2023, 09:00:23 AM

It's not the void, but it's far enough out that I think there are some floating-point errors if you look closely enough.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Max Rockatansky

Worth noting, US 6 has a substantially longer area without services between Ely and Tonopah (163 miles).  The "void zones"  in Nevada are common thing given much of the state competes with Alaska for population density outside of Reno-Carson City and Las Vegas.

Roadgeekteen

Good lord, it's so empty that not even FritzOwl would run an Interstate through there.
Pump the brakes here. FritzOwl turns the Dempster Highway into an interstate.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 01, 2023, 11:21:00 AM

He also ran an Interstate through the Nevada Test Site.  To Fritz the Great Basin always has been a blank canvas.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 01, 2023, 11:25:16 AM

He also ran an Interstate through the Nevada Test Site.  To Fritz the Great Basin always has been a blank canvas.
What about area 51

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 01, 2023, 11:27:13 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 01, 2023, 11:25:16 AM

What about area 51

Not too far away, that's in the Nellis Air Force Range.  The Area numbers are actually based off the Tonopah Mining District.  If I recall correctly the Nevada Test Site is Areas 1-31. 

MultiMillionMiler

US 93 is a 2 lane road, it definitely needs to become an interstate so there's no risk of having a head on collision at 160 mph. If the road is that deserted than I may be willing to settle for 4 lanes total, but Interstate 80 needs to be widened to 6 lanes in Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, and Indiana.

roadman65

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 01, 2023, 01:16:40 PM
US 93 is a 2 lane road, it definitely needs to become an interstate so there's no risk of having a head on collision at 160 mph. If the road is that deserted than I may be willing to settle for 4 lanes total, but Interstate 80 needs to be widened to 6 lanes in Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, and Indiana.

So you want us waste tax money to four lane US 93 despite its trafffic counts low? All because it suites you?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

US 93 is a 2 lane road, it definitely needs to become an interstate so there's no risk of having a head on collision at 160 mph.

How is this different from practically every two-lane highway in the entire western half of the country?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

If the road is that deserted than I may be willing to settle for 4 lanes total, but Interstate 80 needs to be widened to 6 lanes in Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, and Indiana.

Why not widen all of I-84, I-90, I-94, I-25, I-10, I-20, I-35?

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 01, 2023, 01:42:48 PM
All interstate standard highways need to be a minimum of 6 lanes in rural regions, 8 lanes in suburban regions, and 10-12 lanes in all cities. Otherwise, those 2 lane undivided roads are in need of lower speed limits, either 37, 47, or 67 mph depending on their design, with strict tolerance speed cameras randomly placed along their length.

Even if four lanes work fine? So where do you suppose this money come from?  It takes billions to meet your criteria. Even if Joe signs an executive order, it wouldn’t cover it.

Sheryl Crowe

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: roadman65 on March 01, 2023, 01:46:32 PM
All interstate standard highways need to be a minimum of 6 lanes in rural regions, 8 lanes in suburban regions, and 10-12 lanes in all cities. Otherwise, those 2 lane undivided roads are in need of lower speed limits, either 37, 47, or 67 mph depending on their design, with strict tolerance speed cameras randomly placed along their length.

Even if four lanes work fine? So where do you suppose this money come from?  It takes billions to meet your criteria. Even if Joe signs an executive order, it wouldn't cover it.

MMM is the new Steve Jobs.  Let's don't get into if it's possible physically or financially, just put every song I have ever heard in my life in that phone now!

kphoger

those 2 lane undivided roads are in need of lower speed limits, either 37, 47, or 67 mph depending on their design, with strict tolerance speed cameras randomly placed along their length.

Why?  According to the FHWA...

Quote from: U.S. Department of Transportation – Federal Highway Administration – Speed Concepts: Informational Guide (SEP 2009)
Posted speeds must be reasonable. Speed limits are only meaningful if the majority of motorists comply voluntarily and that occurs only if a speed limit is reasonable. ... The (MUTCD) indicates that posted speeds "should be within 5 mph of the 85th-percentile speed of free-flowing traffic. ... State or local officials often receive citizen requests for speed limit reductions because of perceived excessive speeds. However, research has repeatedly shown that changes in posted speeds have little effect on operating speeds. ... It is extremely rare and generally considered counterproductive to cite drivers operating slightly over the speed limit. ... Some people have difficulty understanding how it can be acceptable for a speed limit to exceed the designated design speed. First, geometric design criteria above minimum values for a designated design speed are often used. Secondly, geometric design criteria have been developed using a variety of premises. For example, horizontal curve criteria are based on "comfort" levels, the sensory response of vehicle occupants to unbalanced lateral acceleration. The values were developed in the 1940s. Lastly, the criteria are based on assumed conditions that are improbably poor (e.g., actual conditions will likely be better).

Besides which, non-freeway arterial highways in level areas are designed with design speed range of 60 to 75 mph.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2023, 02:28:57 PM
those 2 lane undivided roads are in need of lower speed limits, either 37, 47, or 67 mph depending on their design, with strict tolerance speed cameras randomly placed along their length.

Why?  According to the FHWA...

Quote from: U.S. Department of Transportation – Federal Highway Administration – Speed Concepts: Informational Guide (SEP 2009)
Posted speeds must be reasonable. Speed limits are only meaningful if the majority of motorists comply voluntarily and that occurs only if a speed limit is reasonable. ... The (MUTCD) indicates that posted speeds "should be within 5 mph of the 85th-percentile speed of free-flowing traffic. ... State or local officials often receive citizen requests for speed limit reductions because of perceived excessive speeds. However, research has repeatedly shown that changes in posted speeds have little effect on operating speeds. ... It is extremely rare and generally considered counterproductive to cite drivers operating slightly over the speed limit. ... Some people have difficulty understanding how it can be acceptable for a speed limit to exceed the designated design speed. First, geometric design criteria above minimum values for a designated design speed are often used. Secondly, geometric design criteria have been developed using a variety of premises. For example, horizontal curve criteria are based on "comfort" levels, the sensory response of vehicle occupants to unbalanced lateral acceleration. The values were developed in the 1940s. Lastly, the criteria are based on assumed conditions that are improbably poor (e.g., actual conditions will likely be better).

Besides which, non-freeway arterial highways in level areas are designed with design speed range of 60 to 75 mph.
Non-devided high speed road would definitely be more prone to severe head-ons. Traffic levels people are quoting should make these head-ons pretty rare, but still.
Is there a way to make a road divided but maintain passing capability without spending a fortune and a half?

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on March 01, 2023, 02:32:44 PM
Is there a way to make a road divided but maintain passing capability without spending a fortune and a half?

Well, yes, sort of, but I suspect the results might be different than what you had in mind.

Mexico is quite fond of this cheaper alternative.  They call it "Tipo A2", and it is implemented on routes where a standard two-lane highway is deemed insufficient.  It has 2.5-meter paved shoulders, which are intended for use by slower vehicles.  Passing down the middle is accomplished by both directions of traffic.

Random GSV snapshots:

Male pronouns, please.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2023, 02:51:01 PM
Quote from: kalvado on March 01, 2023, 02:32:44 PM

Well, yes, sort of, but I suspect the results might be different than what you had in mind.

Mexico is quite fond of this cheaper alternative.  They call it "Tipo A2", and it is implemented on routes where a standard two-lane highway is deemed insufficient.  It has 2.5-meter paved shoulders, which are intended for use by slower vehicles.  Passing down the middle is accomplished by both directions of traffic.

Random GSV snapshots:

Well, it doesn't really achieve "divided" safety. Having a divided highway with 1.5 lane per direction... may be not that bad of an idea?

SectorZ

US 93 is a 2 lane road, it definitely needs to become an interstate so there's no risk of having a head on collision at 160 mph.

That's not how physics works.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SectorZ on March 01, 2023, 03:03:05 PM

That's not how physics works.
And who the hell drives 160 on a two lane road besides show offs?

kphoger

He's trying to make the force of an 80-mph collision equal 160 mph.  As |SectorZ| pointed out, that's not how physics works:  the force for each vehicle would be the same as hitting a stationary object.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on March 01, 2023, 01:50:09 PM
Taxing the Rich much higher amounts, and also the revenue generated by those strict tolerance speed ticketing cameras that trigger once you exceed the next prime number over the 67 mph speed limit.

The problem is the rich run Washington. Nancy Pelosi, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, even when Bush was head of state he had billions and still does.  They won’t let themselves be taxed even though some of them claim they’re for higher taxes. You know that. That’s why your political life is as active as your sex life remember.

You don’t vote.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadman65 on March 01, 2023, 03:16:54 PM
Taxing the Rich much higher amounts, and also the revenue generated by those strict tolerance speed ticketing cameras that trigger once you exceed the next prime number over the 67 mph speed limit.

The problem is the rich run Washington. Nancy Pelosi, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, even when Bush was head of state he had billions and still does.  They won't let themselves be taxed even though some of them claim they're for higher taxes. You know that. That's why your political life is as active as your sex life remember.
You are right, but let's not get into politics here.

roadman65

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 01, 2023, 03:17:48 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 01, 2023, 03:16:54 PM

The problem is the rich run Washington. Nancy Pelosi, Donald Trump, Joe Biden, even when Bush was head of state he had billions and still does.  They won't let themselves be taxed even though some of them claim they're for higher taxes. You know that. That's why your political life is as active as your sex life remember.
You are right, but let's not get into politics here.

Nope I'm done, but this guy thinks money in our nation can fund his silly ideas.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.