The one highway, interstate, or city street you HATE to drive

Started by Billy F 1988, April 22, 2023, 01:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: mgk920 on April 24, 2023, 09:45:29 PM
Getting back to Indiana, I've never liked driving across the state on US 30, STOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOPSTOP the whole way.

Mike
Before it bypassed Kokomo, US 31 was miserable through there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

VTGoose

Most trips, I-26 between Columbia and I-95 in South Carolina (both directions) and I-95 from I-26 to Georgia (both directions). Two lanes with bad pavement and bad drivers.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Flint1979

Quote from: VTGoose on April 25, 2023, 10:46:50 AM
Most trips, I-26 between Columbia and I-95 in South Carolina (both directions) and I-95 from I-26 to Georgia (both directions). Two lanes with bad pavement and bad drivers.
I drove that stretch about 2 years ago coming back from Florida it was a nightmare the whole stretch. Too much truck traffic and other slow moving vehicles. I made it from Orlando, Florida to Statesville, North Carolina in one day.

jdbx

Quote from: TheStranger on April 24, 2023, 05:11:26 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 24, 2023, 04:41:02 PM
As of late I go the counter intuitive way and force myself down the Hollywood Freeway to the Santa Ana Freeway (and vice versa).  Oddly enough it worked this last pass through downtown on a Monday morning, traffic slowed but never stopped.

Nearly a decade ago, me and a friend headed down in separate cars from Palmdale to Long Beach on a Sunday (so not the highest traffic day ever to be fair); he did 405 while I myself took 170/101/110 just to see more scenery in downtown instead of passing by Griffith Park along 5.  I think we ended up at Long Beach Airport around the same time

I oft wonder if for folks who live in Sylmar or areas further north (Palmdale, Bakersfield), whether doing 138-15 or 210-57-71-15 serves as the better routing to San Diego, rather than dealing with 405 near LAX or 5 or 101 approaching East LA (and 5 in Norwalk).

There have been times when I have actually taken the 210 East to the 605 South to bypass all of I-5 through Burbank/DTLA and in spite of adding a lot of mileage, travel time was better than battling the traffic. Even if travel time was the same as sitting in the traffic, I will opt for the longer-distance route if it moves better.

zzcarp

I-25 for me. The stretch through the Denver metro, which I drive pretty much daily, is consistently congested. Often speeds will drop from 70 to 0 in 2.8 seconds. It's taking years off my life!

North of town up to Loveland and Fort Collins is little better, with micropassing trucks and construction that's been going on for 5+ years. The stretch south of town is always busy through Castle Rock, and though improved through the gap, returns to inconsistency through the Springs, especially during rush hour.
So many miles and so many roads

VTGoose

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 25, 2023, 02:52:38 PM
Quote from: VTGoose on April 25, 2023, 10:46:50 AM
I drove that stretch about 2 years ago coming back from Florida it was a nightmare the whole stretch. Too much truck traffic and other slow moving vehicles. I made it from Orlando, Florida to Statesville, North Carolina in one day.

We have been traveling that way every few months for the last 9 years since our son, daughter-in-law, and grandson live in St. Petersburg, so have seen the good and bad of both of those interstates. You mention Orlando, which brings up another interstate that I will avoid -- I-4 from Tampa to I-95. The ONLY time we breezed across Florida was right at the beginning of the pandemic when everything was shut down. We made that whole trip from Apollo Beach to Blacksburg in record time, about 11:30 when it typically takes 13-14 hours with stops and traffic.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Takumi

I'm in the club that dreads I-95 north of Richmond. I went to Woodbridge and back yesterday and for once it flowed freely the whole time.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

CapeCodder

In Missouri, it was I-70 between Wentzville and the outer burbs of KCMO. Hated using it while storm chasing and would constantly try to find alternative routes. For US Highways in MO, it's US 160. MO State Routes: MO 94 in eastern St. Charles County and from I-64 to Jefferson City.

In Massachusetts it's easily Route 128.

pderocco

Quote from: SeriesE on April 24, 2023, 04:36:32 PM
If I'm going from Orange County/San diego to norcal (and vice versa), I just take I-405 all the way to bypass the whole mess
That's why they call it the San Diego Freeway.

pderocco

Quote from: TheStranger on April 24, 2023, 05:11:26 PM
I oft wonder if for folks who live in Sylmar or areas further north (Palmdale, Bakersfield), whether doing 138-15 or 210-57-71-15 serves as the better routing to San Diego, rather than dealing with 405 near LAX or 5 or 101 approaching East LA (and 5 in Norwalk).

It all depends on time of day. You just have to look at the traffic on Google Maps, and see what's happening. Sometimes there are big tie-ups around Corona or Temecula. Since I moved from LA to San Diego, I only drive around LA on weekends, so I miss the worst of it.

But my judgment of I-405 as an unpleasant road to drive isn't so much about traffic, because that's time-variable. But it's always ugly and boring, and even the shroud of night doesn't entirely mitigate the ugliness.

StogieGuy7

Gee, there are a lot of freeways that are awful. But the top tend to be places where congestion is out of control:

1) Stevenson Expy (I-55) in the Chicago area.....No exaggeration, I used to take morning flights out of MDW and my drive time from Gurnee (far N suburb) to the 55/294 junction (over 40 miles) took less time than to get from there on the Stevenson to Midway (8 miles).  This thing needs about 4 more lanes and a redesign and even then it may not be enough. Basically, any expressway that leads into Chicago is terrible, but the Stevenson is the worst because it's bad all the way to I-80. Any yes, I know the Kennedy is under construction and will be hell for a while - but at least that's in order to make improvements.

2) I-95 from the GW Bridge to New Haven, CT.  Not enough lanes, too much traffic, poor design, obnoxious drivers and speed limits that are a joke.

3) I-94 through Michigan; 6 to 8 lanes worth of traffic stuffed into a 4 lane that could be a museum piece as to how interstates looked in 1964.

4) Either interstate route in NW Indiana (80/94 or 90).  Much of America's traffic is funneled around the bottom of Lake Michigan, passing right through a city that looks like it didn't survive the apocalypse (Gary). The traffic is hell, the freeways are designed like crap, don't get off at any of the exits for the first 20 miles into Indiana and the scenery is boring and ugly the whole way.

5) Last entry in my hall of shame is the Schuylkill Expy (I-76) leading into Philadelphia. An ancient, narrow, curvy road with absolutely horrible traffic and very few escape routes once you're in it.

No, I didn't mention any of the freeways in California, Texas or Florida because those areas tend to be newer and have more alternative options for avoiding the worst of the worst. I was stuck on the 405 from Irvine to Tustin one Friday night and it took hours, but most of the time I don't mind driving the 405 that much. If it's jammed, I just avoid it.

doglover44

vdeane

I think the Garden State Parkway between the Turnpike and NJ 17 deserves this spot for me.  Heavy traffic and a protracted 55 zone on the whole 35 mile stretch just makes it not fun, even though it SHOULD be (especially through Newark).  Google claims NJ 17 and the Parkway is the fastest route between the Thruway and the Turnpike, but I'm not sure that's actually true unless you completely ignore the speed limit.

It's better when listening to CBS FM (as opposed to just the sound of the road), but I still need cruise control just to keep from going to much over the limit.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MikieTimT

I-40 between I-30 in Little Rock and Memphis.  Either on I-55 or I-40 in West Memphis to Memphis.  The whole thing between I-30 in LR and the Tennessee border is choked with governed trucks micropassing, so the 75MPH speed limit is a pipe dream most of the time.  Scenery doesn't do Arkansas much justice either.

sprjus4

Quote from: vdeane on May 01, 2023, 03:37:42 PM
I think the Garden State Parkway between the Turnpike and NJ 17 deserves this spot for me.  Heavy traffic and a protracted 55 zone on the whole 35 mile stretch just makes it not fun, even though it SHOULD be (especially through Newark).  Google claims NJ 17 and the Parkway is the fastest route between the Thruway and the Turnpike, but I'm not sure that's actually true unless you completely ignore the speed limit.

It's better when listening to CBS FM (as opposed to just the sound of the road), but I still need cruise control just to keep from going to much over the limit.
I would imagine that regardless of the posted speed limit, traffic is routinely flowing 75+ mph.

kylebnjmnross

I hate Cameron St in Harrisburg between Paxton St and Maclay St, it is a disaster. Four narrow lanes, random potholes that can't be avoided without straddling both lanes, no center turn lane except for a very small section and heavy industrial traffic that always wants to turn left at some point. Just tear the whole thing down lol. Start from scratch

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Techknow

Interstate 80 from San Francisco to Oakland/Berkeley in either direction. After morning time, it gets congested until evening and can happen just about every day. If you're heading into San Francisco I don't think there is any viable alternative to taking the Bay Bridge, but if you're heading to the Peninsula, the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge doesn't get congested. I think a big reason why is the low amount of through-lanes, there can be 10 lanes at the Bay Bridge toll plaza but eventually becomes 3 westbound until you get to US 101 where a 4th lane is added from the Central Freeway.

I also drive on US 101 as well in the SF Peninsula and South Bay and lately due to rain, it is very prone to potholes or asphalt damage, more so than other freeways like CA 85, CA 87, I-280, and I-880. Certainly it endures the highest traffic volume compared to other highways...

mgk920

Quote from: Techknow on May 09, 2023, 12:56:41 AM
Interstate 80 from San Francisco to Oakland/Berkeley in either direction. After morning time, it gets congested until evening and can happen just about every day. If you're heading into San Francisco I don't think there is any viable alternative to taking the Bay Bridge, but if you're heading to the Peninsula, the San Mateo-Hayward Bridge doesn't get congested. I think a big reason why is the low amount of through-lanes, there can be 10 lanes at the Bay Bridge toll plaza but eventually becomes 3 westbound until you get to US 101 where a 4th lane is added from the Central Freeway.

I also drive on US 101 as well in the SF Peninsula and South Bay and lately due to rain, it is very prone to potholes or asphalt damage, more so than other freeways like CA 85, CA 87, I-280, and I-880. Certainly it endures the highest traffic volume compared to other highways...

But this is in an area that HATES cars and thinks that they are the root of all that is evil in this world, so I am reasonably expecting zero relief in the form of higher road capacity at any time in the foreseeable future.  "Take a BART train if you want to get across the bay."

mike

LilianaUwU

A lot of QC 175 in Québec City, as well as adjacent roads, are a pain to go through right now due to the construction of the tramway. I don't drive, but trust me, it's painful to go through even when in a bus or as a passenger in someone else's car.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 08, 2023, 11:29:01 PM
I-40. Eastern Arkansas. Nuff said.

Is it 'nuff said? I don't remember anything particularly special about this stretch, good, bad, or otherwise. Why is it on your list? It's been probably 15-20 years since I've been on it.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on May 09, 2023, 02:44:46 PM

But this is in an area that HATES cars and thinks that they are the root of all that is evil in this world, so I am reasonably expecting zero relief in the form of higher road capacity at any time in the foreseeable future.  "Take a BART train if you want to get across the bay."

mike

Someone needs to read less headlines

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 09, 2023, 03:15:55 PM

mike

Or actually visit San Francisco to see for himself.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SEWIGuy

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 09, 2023, 03:19:51 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 09, 2023, 03:15:55 PM

mike

Or actually visit San Francisco to see for himself.

That too.

Ted$8roadFan

I'm starting to hate driving I-95 in Providence, RI between Exit 36 (I-195) and Exit 38 (RI-146). Too much traffic merging together and changing lanes in a short distance, lack of shoulders, the hot mess that is the US-6/RI-10/Providence Place Mall exit, and the very RI tradition of cutting over two lanes to exit. Even weekends are becoming unbearable.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.