News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Memorial Day street names

Started by Streetman, May 24, 2024, 04:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Streetman

As we enter the Memorial Day weekend, I hope we remember what the holiday is really about: commemorating the members of our armed forces who lost their lives in the service of our nation. My hometown of Hamden, CT, has remembered our such men (so far they have all been men) by naming streets after them. Mostly, they are scattered around town, but there are two notable subdivisions where all the streets are named for them: one group of seven streets named for men who died in both World Wars and Korea, and another, called Honor Hill, with the names of Vietnam casualties.
I wonder how extensively this fine practice is used elsewhere.

Henry

Usually these names are in the form of something like "War Veterans Memorial Highway/Drive/Boulevard" or something like that. But if we're not counting those, then I like how Hamden has honored its heroes with their own street names.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Flint1979

Saginaw, MI has a Veterans Memorial Parkway.

Hunty2022

The US 250 Bypass of Charlottesville is known as Veterans Memorial Drive at its intersection with Hydraulic Road.

Other green name signs lazily show the bypass named as "250 Bypass".
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads - VA (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Hunty Roads - NC (currently just I-140/NC-700):
https://huntyroadsnc.blogspot.com

CtrlAltDel

The town I grew up in renamed a few streets that were previously just numbered with the names of the people from the town that died in the Second World War. One of them was a relative of the current mayor of the town, who last year traveled to the place in France where he died and discussed what happened in his Memorial Day speech.

Incidentally, some neighboring towns have also changed their street numbers to match the new names, which I find interesting.

ETA: At the Memorial Day ceremony in the town this morning, they presented a brief biography of three of these people. Two of them, who were best friends and who joined the army together, died in the Bataan Death March. The other died in a non-combat plane crash, a bit east of Lyon in France. The town where the crash took place holds a small commemoration every two years, and in the most recent one, hosted his great nephew, who gave a speech.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

TheHighwayMan3561

MN has things like

Victory Memorial Parkway, Minneapolis
Veterans Drive, Paynesville

TH 23 from the I-35 junction north of Sandstone to Duluth is the Veterans Evergreen Memorial Drive scenic byway.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NE2

What about the Liberty Memorial Parkway near Tulsa?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

epzik8

We have a Vietnam Veterans Memorial Highway in Maryland (MD 24) and I believe there is a freeway in Delaware bearing that name, and part of DE 1 in Dover is the Korea War Veterans highway.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

mgk920

Soldier's Square here in Appleton, WI.Has a monument to a local Union soldier who died in camp in the Civil War, presented by a local businessguy and the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R. an organization of Union veterans of the Civil War) in 1911.

Mike

Big John

Armed Forces Drive going east from Lambeau Field.

hotdogPi

The OP seemed to be going after streets named after individual people rather than "VFW" or "Armed Forces" in general.

I would have no idea what types of people the streets in my area with people's names are named after.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Streetman

Quote from: hotdogPi on May 26, 2024, 09:18:17 AMThe OP seemed to be going after streets named after individual people rather than "VFW" or "Armed Forces" in general....
Yes, and, in the spirit of the holiday, not those dedicated to all veterans, but to those who died in the line of duty. So far, only the post from CtrlAltDel has mentioned such streets. It's unfortunate the practice doesn't seem to be more widespread.

Scott5114

Nellis Blvd. in Las Vegas would arguably qualify, since William H. Nellis was a Las Vegas local who died in the Battle of the Bulge. The street was probably named after the Air Force base named after Nellis, though.

Quote from: Streetman on May 26, 2024, 07:31:25 PMIt's unfortunate the practice doesn't seem to be more widespread.

How would you know if it was? Most places don't have very many well-known dead soldiers, so if there was a neighborhood full of these it would just look like a random grab bag of last names, unless someone went out of their way to publicize how they chose their names.

It's not likely the practice will spread, since changing names of existing streets is disruptive enough that local governments don't do it on a whim, and new streets tend to be built by developers who think they can charge more for a house if they name the street something like Windy Bromeliad Terrace.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mrsman

Quote from: Streetman on May 24, 2024, 04:23:14 PMAs we enter the Memorial Day weekend, I hope we remember what the holiday is really about: commemorating the members of our armed forces who lost their lives in the service of our nation. My hometown of Hamden, CT, has remembered our such men (so far they have all been men) by naming streets after them. Mostly, they are scattered around town, but there are two notable subdivisions where all the streets are named for them: one group of seven streets named for men who died in both World Wars and Korea, and another, called Honor Hill, with the names of Vietnam casualties.
I wonder how extensively this fine practice is used elsewhere.

This is very interesting.  Could you show us where in Hamden these named streets are or a list of streets as "Honor Hill" is not recognized in Google Maps.

There are certainly many streets that are named after very prominent war heroes (leading generals and the like).  Most of whom did not die during the wars and very rarely for wars after WWII.

In NYC, they routinely sub-name streets after local heroes who die in action, both military as well as civilian (police, fire department).  The honorific name does not replace the old name, but gives due respect to such heroes.

Here is one such naming for a fallen Iraq war sergeant:  https://www.fox5ny.com/video/1204842

Streetman

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 26, 2024, 09:47:05 PM...
Quote from: Streetman on May 26, 2024, 07:31:25 PMIt's unfortunate the practice doesn't seem to be more widespread.

How would you know if it was? Most places don't have very many well-known dead soldiers, so if there was a neighborhood full of these it would just look like a random grab bag of last names, unless someone went out of their way to publicize how they chose their names.

It's not likely the practice will spread, since changing names of existing streets is disruptive enough that local governments don't do it on a whim, and new streets tend to be built by developers who think they can charge more for a house if they name the street something like Windy Bromeliad Terrace.

I have checked out some books and websites on street names in other cities and found very few other war heroes so honored. On Memorial Day six years ago, a monument was dedicated with the full names of the servicemen on the Honor Hill streets. It received some coverage in local media. I was hoping there might have been similar reports elsewhere:
http://hamdenhistoricalsociety.org/nhr18529.html

Agreed that existing street names should not be changed. For a time, the town of Hamden required that new streets be named for war heroes, but this is no longer the case.

Quote from: mrsman on May 27, 2024, 05:49:24 PM...
This is very interesting.  Could you show us where in Hamden these named streets are or a list of streets as "Honor Hill" is not recognized in Google Maps.
In NYC, they routinely sub-name streets after local heroes who die in action, both military as well as civilian (police, fire department).  The honorific name does not replace the old name, but gives due respect to such heroes....

Here are the Honor Hill streets, Read, Biehl, Robertson, Ferguson, and Costanzo:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4022477,-72.9114471,17z
Their stories are in the previous link.

Adding a sub-name or honorific name on a sign below the existing street name is a good compromise, which has been done a couple times in Hamden, though not for war heroes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.