News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignBridge

IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN' TIME !! I've been reading for the last 10 years that this interchange was going to happen, and every time I drive thru that area, I note with disgust that ground has not yet been broken.

The NJ Turnpike has interchanges with toll-free interstates, as does the New York Thruway. Apparently funded by those toll authorities in those states. Only the friggin' Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission wouldn't spend the money to build it back in 1969.

It should never have taken this many years!

cl94

Quote from: SignBridge on August 13, 2014, 09:15:31 PM
IT'S ABOUT FRIGGIN' TIME !! I've been reading for the last 10 years that this interchange was going to happen, and every time I drive thru that area, I note with disgust that ground has not yet been broken.

The NJ Turnpike has interchanges with toll-free interstates, as does the New York Thruway. Apparently funded by those toll authorities in those states. Only the friggin' Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission wouldn't spend the money to build it back in the 1970's.

They still have plenty more. Breezewood, I-78, I-80, I-81, US 219, US 222, the Bud Shuster Porkway... Knowing them, they'll never complete I-70.

It's not like New York doesn't have its share of non-interchanges. Look at how long it took them to connect the Thruway to I-84 and, for much of the time, both were run by NYSTA. It still fails to connect to NY 23, NY 85, and US 209, all of which are at least semi-limited-access.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

The Nature Boy

I wonder what would happen to Breezewood's economy if they ever actually filled the gap. The whole town seems built around people stopping off and using their gas stations and eating at their restaurants.

I've never stopped there but does anyone ever actually stop in Breezewood?

cl94

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 13, 2014, 09:30:46 PM
I wonder what would happen to Breezewood's economy if they ever actually filled the gap. The whole town seems built around people stopping off and using their gas stations and eating at their restaurants.

I avoid it like the plague. Never used that exit and will once and only once to say I did it.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: cl94 on August 13, 2014, 09:33:42 PM

I avoid it like the plague. Never used that exit and will once and only once to say I did it.

If you go through at night, it's quite the spectacle. In fact, I recommend doing so at night.

Duke87

I've driven through a few times making various movements but I have not and will not patronize any of the businesses there.

Which is a sound decision even if you don't feel like boycotting it for ideological reasons - the gas there is more expensive than at the next town along US 30 in either direction, presumably the same is true of the other services.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

empirestate

Sure, I'm always happy to stop at Breezewood; I got no problem with it, just as I have no issue with I-99 or with sequential exit numbering. And that's saying something, because I have a pretty low tolerance for anything the main stream is okay with.

jeffandnicole

"The whole town seems built around people stopping off and using their gas stations and eating at their restaurants. "

And then you ask if anyone actually stops there?  Your own statement says that a LOT of people stop there.  Otherwise, all those gas stations and restaurants wouldn't be there!

The Nature Boy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 14, 2014, 06:16:42 AM

"The whole town seems built around people stopping off and using their gas stations and eating at their restaurants. "

And then you ask if anyone actually stops there?  Your own statement says that a LOT of people stop there.  Otherwise, all those gas stations and restaurants wouldn't be there!

Out of the millions of cars who are forced into it, you can build an economy around the relatively few who actually stop. I've just never met or heard of one of those people.

I bet 99% of cars that go through there don't stop, I wonder who in the hell that 1% is. :P

1995hoo

When I was in my teens, our Boy Scout troop always stopped at the McDonald's in Breezewood en route to Seven Springs for our annual ski trip. The idea was simply to regroup and ensure no vehicles had been lost along the way (especially given the inevitable traffic leaving DC coupled with the long stretches of turnpike with no exits between Breezewood and Somerset, the latter being where we exited for Seven Springs). Since I was not old enough to drive for most of those years–and, even if I had been, the troop's liability policy prohibited anyone under 18 from driving with other Scouts in the car–I had no say in the matter.

Can't say I've stopped at Breezewood since then, and I usually try to avoid it if we're headed that way, but if I urgently needed gas or urgently had to take a crap, I'd stop.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 14, 2014, 07:25:34 AM

Out of the millions of cars who are forced into it, you can build an economy around the relatively few who actually stop. I've just never met or heard of one of those people.

I bet 99% of cars that go through there don't stop, I wonder who in the hell that 1% is. :P

That information is quite easy to find, actually.

http://www.paturnpike.com/TrafficReports/FXPlor/Reports-Main/2013%20Reports/2013_INTERCHANGE_AADT_Report.pdf

In regards to traffic entering and exiting the Turnpike in Breezewood, the AADT is about 17,000 vehicles for the year.  In August, the ADT was 22,000. 

(Since this doesn't include traffic not entering/exiting the Turnpike, you can add on some more to that.  For the heck of it, let's just double the numbers, so the average ADT is about 35,000.)

1% of that would be 350 people per day.  And 350 people per day couldn't justify 10 or so hotels, numerous gas stations, restaurants, etc.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 14, 2014, 07:25:34 AM

I stop there everytime I pass by.  The Gateway Travel Plaza has a neat collection of historical photos that really put perspective on the place going back to way before I-70.

agentsteel53

I've only been through there once, when clinching I-70, and I had thought I had made a wrong turn coming off the Turnpike before realizing this was the legendary Breezewood.  I continued on the signed I-70 without stopping.

I don't have much intention of going that way again.  it's a pretty strange 90 degree jog on I-70 that I don't foresee factoring into any high-speed plan I have; so if I were in the area again, I'd figure there are plenty of non-freeways to explore.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

I've been through Breezewood a handful of times. First time, I just drove through to say I'd been there (was en route to Jeff K's Pittsburgh national meet and drove out I-68 and back west on I-70). I think I stopped for gas and a pee break at one of the gas stations on the south side of US 30 as I made the transition from westbound 70 to the turnpike.

I actually spent a couple of nights there four years ago. I was in the middle of an extended trip to attend the infamous SEPA meet where the venue mysteriously lost our room reservation. I'd been in Delaware and New Jersey, clinching routes and counties, and intended to go west on I-70 into Ohio and Indiana after the meet, so Breezewood made a logical place for me to stay since I was clinching I-70 in Maryland. I spent Friday night in Breezewood, then drove east to the meet, then drove back to Breezewood for Saturday night before heading west on I-70 Sunday morning.

Last time I was through Breezewood, I did not stop. I was on my way to Steve A's US 202 meet and had driven north on a combination of Maryland and Pennsylvania state routes that put me on US 30 a bit west of Bedford. I opted to stay on US 30 instead of getting on the turnpike at Bedford, so I followed it all the way to Breezewood before I entered the turnpike.

I'm not sure that the commercial strips on old US 220 along the connection from I-99 to the turnpike, or the one on US 11 between I-81 and the turnpike, are any different than Breezewood. They merely take advantage of the highway setup as it exists.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jemacedo9

...no one noticed the following quote in the article:  "The current I-95 north of the connection will be redesignated as I-395 or I-195, project manager Jeff Davis said."

Everything I've seen on the project website states extension of I-195 from NJ. 

I-395?  Hmmm...re-start debate...NOW.

Mr_Northside

Growing up, stopping at the McDonalds for breakfast on the way to the beach was practically a tradition.  In the past 15 years or so I'd say it's about 50/50 if I (or my peeps) will stop.   Though I sometimes will just take I-68 instead. My friend and I stopped in B-wood this year, cause he wanted to get some Starbucks, even though it was on the wrong side of 30.

As to the first question, I don't think it would hurt "Breezewood's economy" (note: Breezewood isn't really an incorporated municipality of any kind, just a PA "Village") anywhere near as much as those businesses probably fear if they just added a simple 2 ramps so traffic could avoid it. 
Once you pass Hagerstown, there isn't really any place with anywhere near the choice of Breezewood till, well, Breezewood.  The EB Midway Service plaza might see a bump in business, but people needing/wanting services will still utilize Breezewood, and probably easier so, since traffic with no desire to stop there won't be clogging shit up.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

The Nature Boy

Interesting. More people stop there than I thought. When I travel, I usually prefer to stop for gas/food in rural areas or service plazas so I can avoid surface street traffic.

1995hoo

Quote from: Mr_Northside on August 14, 2014, 03:59:45 PM

As to the first question, I don't think it would hurt "Breezewood's economy" (note: Breezewood isn't really an incorporated municipality of any kind, just a PA "Village") anywhere near as much as those businesses probably fear if they just added a simple 2 ramps so traffic could avoid it. 

Breezewood does have a mayor, though. He lives up on top of the hill just southwest of the I-70 traffic light and his name is McCheese.  :bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

briantroutman

As much as I hate the nonsensical disconnection of I-70 in Breezewood and would love to see a direct connection, I think the commercial strip on US 30 there would exist regardless. People will always need to eat, sleep, fuel their vehicles, and use the restroom, and the businesses in Breezewood are just fulfilling a demand that already exists. Other than roadgeeks visiting the Abandoned Turnpike, nobody's spontaneously eating a meal or staying overnight just because Breezewood is there. They would have eaten at the next service plaza or slept in Bedford, Somerset, or wherever.

I think it's also worth noting that the two largest businesses in Breezewood are the Gateway TA and Pilot All-American–both truck stops. And with FMCSA hours of service regs being what they are, combined with the high cost of fuel and "if the wheels aren't turning, I'm not earning"  realities facing owner-operators, I'll go out on a limb and say that truckers' off-road time is carefully considered.

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on August 13, 2014, 09:25:15 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on August 13, 2014, 09:15:31 PM

The NJ Turnpike has interchanges with toll-free interstates, as does the New York Thruway. Apparently funded by those toll authorities in those states. Only the friggin' Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission wouldn't spend the money to build it back in the 1970's.

They still have plenty more. Breezewood, I-78, I-80, I-81, US 219, US 222, the Bud Shuster Porkway... Knowing them, they'll never complete I-70.

It's not like New York doesn't have its share of non-interchanges. Look at how long it took them to connect the Thruway to I-84 and, for much of the time, both were run by NYSTA. It still fails to connect to NY 23, NY 85, and US 209, all of which are at least semi-limited-access.
I-84 was the oddball that one wonders about.  NY 23 isn't really a freeway, I belive NY 85 was intended to connect with unbuilt I-87 (and it may not be considered a freeway at at the overpass, though I consider it a super-2 through Slingerlands), and US 209 is caught up in the I-587 mess.

It's worth noting that the Thruway was constructed late enough that most interchanges with interstates connected with them from the get-go.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 14, 2014, 09:22:57 AM
I've only been through there once, when clinching I-70, and I had thought I had made a wrong turn coming off the Turnpike before realizing this was the legendary Breezewood.  I continued on the signed I-70 without stopping.

I don't have much intention of going that way again.  it's a pretty strange 90 degree jog on I-70 that I don't foresee factoring into any high-speed plan I have; so if I were in the area again, I'd figure there are plenty of non-freeways to explore.
You would go that way to check out the abandoned Turnpike.

qguy

Quote from: Alps on August 14, 2014, 06:47:52 PMYou would go that way to check out the abandoned Turnpike.

Of the four times I've been through Breezewood, three was for visiting the abandoned section between the Ray's Hill and Sidling Hill tunnels.

One of the things I learned by looking at hard data when I worked for PennDOT District 6-0 was that when an extremely congested area is bypassed, local businesses usually end up better off. When local and through traffic is combined in a congested area, potential customers stay away because it's so hard to get into and out of the area. When through traffic is separated from the local traffic, customers who would've stayed away now patronize the local businesses because it's easier to do. This is more likely the more congested an area is.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: qguy on August 14, 2014, 07:09:02 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 14, 2014, 06:47:52 PMYou would go that way to check out the abandoned Turnpike.

Of the four times I've been through Breezewood, three was for visiting the abandoned section between the Ray's Hill and Sidling Hill tunnels.

One of the things I learned by looking at hard data when I worked for PennDOT District 6-0 was that when an extremely congested area is bypassed, local businesses usually end up better off. When local and through traffic is combined in a congested area, potential customers stay away because it's so hard to get into and out of the area. When through traffic is separated from the local traffic, customers who would've stayed away now patronize the local businesses because it's easier to do. This is more likely the more congested an area is.

So Breezewood might actually BENEFIT from a bypass?

cl94

Quote from: The Nature Boy on August 14, 2014, 07:52:03 PM
Quote from: qguy on August 14, 2014, 07:09:02 PM

So Breezewood might actually BENEFIT from a bypass?

Probably. It and Bedford are the only services easily accessible from the Turnpike between US 119 and I-81. There isn't much along I-70 between the same landmarks other than a small Maryland city near the border. Enough people want name-brand hotels, sit-down restaurants, truck stops, and/or cheap gas and fast food.

hbelkins

Breezewood has a Sheetz. It's the only one of which I am aware that's in close proximity to the turnpike besides Bedford. If I'm hungry and driving the turnpike and I know of a Sheetz, I'll definitely get off and patronize it instead of the fast food at one of the service plazas.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.