News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Stillwater Bridge

Started by on_wisconsin, August 21, 2011, 11:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

Quote from: froggie on July 02, 2014, 02:50:55 PM
QuoteAw for a second there I got excited thinking that someday there'd all of a sudden be an I-994, or an I-735 popping into Wisconsin...
Nope.  MnDOT isn't keen on new Interstate corridors, even when potential opportunities present themselves.
Plus, the current freeway sections of MN 36 have too narrow of shoulders to be Interstate standard.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Mdcastle

Mn/DOT doesn't care a lot what color and shape the highway markers are...

Molandfreak

Usually I don't think highly of the "don't slap an Interstate shield on anything" crowd, but in this case it really would be for the purpose of "slapping an Interstate on any damn freeway." An Interstate connecting to... New Richmond, WI? If WISDOT had any plans to build a freeway all the way to U.S. 53, I could see a use for an Interstate along this corridor then...
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Mdcastle

Big John

Quote from: Mdcastle on July 06, 2014, 11:01:45 AM
IMG_5553
For Wisconsin bridge plaques, the "B" stands for bridge, the next number is the county code, and the last number is the unique bridge identifier for that county.

Problem here is that "70" is the code for Winnebago County, where Oshkosh is the county seat and is nowhere close to that bridge.

Edit: having problems with the formatting.  It is the 2nd photo in the above set.

on_wisconsin

Some aerials from this past week:

WisDOT/ MnDOT/ St. Croix Crossing Facebook page

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Mdcastle

IMG_5989 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_5981 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_5976 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_5968 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_5966 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_5951 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_5922 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_5924 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

Went on one of the bridge cruises. Mn/DOT and WisDOT representatives were on hand providing narration and answering questions. A few notes:

*Question was asked why it was design-bid-build instead of design-build. The answer was basically they didn't trust a single contractor for a unique design of this magnitude, they didn't mention that design-build is illegal under Wisconsin law.

*There's a $5 million incentive for the contractor for "on time, no claims, no excuses". A question was asked what a claim was, and the example was the Wakota bridge design flaw was a major one. A current example of what may become a claim is a lot of the forms are being built by a small company in Tennessee. The company owner died and the chief engineer quit, so getting the forms in a timely manner is obviously becoming an issue.

*Everything is right on schedule, they hope to start installing deck pieces this fall. All piers will be built to the full height, and work on the towers will start. The river span deck pieces are being cast in a climate controlled facility at Grey Cloud Island and will continue through the winter, the pieces for the Minnesota approach are being cast outdoors on site and will cease when it gets too cold to pour concrete.

*The metal crossbeams are temporary, 3 of the 5 are installed, and the first two will be dismantled and reused for the final two piers.

*It was pointed out that it looks like nothing is being done on the Wisconsin side, you have to drive over there to see it, from the Minnesota side it just looks like a thin spot in the trees.

*Several questions about if the bridge could be expanded to more lanes (no widening, but they could possibly narrow the lanes and take over the shoulder) and why there are still stoplights on the Minnesota side (quick to blame Oak Park Heights).

*Question why the piers were hollow- it was part of the aesthetic design and supposed to look like reeds (although my sister thought they looked like tuning forks). Question about ornamental lighting- I think I heard that per the aesthetic design only lights inside the piers are being included, but empty conduits are being run for more lights if they're desired in the future.

I94RoadRunner

Yes, Oak Park Heights was afraid that if MN 36 got converted to a full freeway with buttonhook interchanges that the local business would be harmed. I bet that it will be necessary to go back and make the Oak Park Heights section of MN 36 into a full freeway in the future when more people start moving over to New Richmond and Somerset commuting into Minnesota .....
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

froggie

Part of it is also budgetary.  MnDOT doesn't have the funds to upgrade 36 to a freeway between North St. Paul and Stillwater, even though they have long wanted to.

Mdcastle

Mdcastle

Quote from: on_wisconsin on June 03, 2013, 11:20:48 PM
FYI, here is the land in question:

I thought I had read somewhere that WisDOT plans on using a portion of the old ROW as a casting and staging yard. Then selling the land when that stage is complete.

I've been doing research for an article, and realized this actually isn't the "Braun" ROW, it's the 1995 FEIS right-of-way (that alternative got as far as final design and acquisition and clearing of the ROW before being stopped. The Braun ROW was never acquired and was farther north. It's the blue dashed "consensus alternative" on this map.
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/stcroix/pdfs/stillw_xingPastAlts.pdf

The 2006 Stakeholders Group / Supplemental FEIS moved it to about where the "south tunnel" alternative is on the map. This made the bridge more perpendicular to the river and slightly shorter, but necessitated that 100 degree turn in Wisconsin since the land in the middle had been lost to development.

I found the Sellwood Bridge website, this is one idea of what the "2nd Braun Bridge" might have looked like had it been built.

Mdcastle

Part I on a series of articles I'm writing about the bridge.
http://streets.mn/2015/02/07/the-stillwater-bridge-story/

Roadguy

Quote from: Mdcastle on February 08, 2015, 10:04:47 AM
Part I on a series of articles I'm writing about the bridge.
http://streets.mn/2015/02/07/the-stillwater-bridge-story/

Great job finding the information.  Well done!

Mdcastle

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 21, 2015, 06:14:51 PM
Nice. What was the time table again for finishing the bridge?

Fall 2016. Wisconsin is realigning WIS 64 to tie in.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hobsini2

I knew that about 64. Just didn't recall the date.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Mdcastle

A general schedule:

1950s-2012 endless bickering, controversy, funding problems, and lawsuits.
2012: Design work starts
2013 Foundations built, MN approach work starts, Design work completed
2014 Vertical construction starts, MN approach work continues, WI approach works starts
Early 2015: Horizontal construction starts, MN approach work completed, WI approach work continues
Late 2015: Vertical construction completed, horizontal construction and WI approach work continues.
2016 Horizontal construction completed, WI approach work completed, bridge opens in the fall.

TheHighwayMan3561

I got an email today that the Minnesota-side approach work is now finished.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Mdcastle

First tower has risen to it's full height.
IMG_7769 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

CtrlAltDel

I love all these pictures of the bridge going up. Please keep them coming!
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

Mdcastle

There's quite a few I don't post here as to not clutter up the board and laziness on my Flickr page. Two more pictures from Saturday, of new signs,

IMG_7751 by North Star Highways, on Flickr
IMG_7728 by North Star Highways, on Flickr

DaBigE

Quote from: Mdcastle on August 03, 2015, 09:22:11 AM

:-o  Those have got to be some of the ugliest border radii I've seen in a long time. Someone needs a lesson on how to use the offset command in CAD.
Could they get any sloppier on the temporary cover? It almost fits.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Milwaukee, WY

Mdcastle

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.