News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 05, 2022, 10:15:46 AM
^ The 403/410/401 interchange is getting pretty close to the airport to safely fly a drone.  Transport Canada publishes maps online about where flights are recommended and not, and while there is a vantage point on the southwestern side of the interchange that isn't in the "not recommended zone" that I probably will one day fly, this is probably a flight I'd try to do when flights are landing to the north and south as opposed to the east and west to make sure that there isn't a problem.

I'll be waiting to hear you make the international news then. :-D

AsphaltPlanet

I'd very much like to avoid creating an international incident.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

cbeach40

and waterrrrrrr!

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 08, 2022, 09:30:38 AM
Some views of Highway 3 at the Victoria Road grade separation on the Essex By-pass southeast of Windsor:

I wonder if MTO plan to add more grade separations and interchanges on the Essex bypass?

AsphaltPlanet

This is set to be the only grade separation along Hwy 3 from Windsor to Leamington.

triplemultiplex

So Ontario does pave with concrete from time to time. :P Pretty much every picture I've seen in this thread, they're asphalt roads.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

andrepoiy

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 11, 2022, 10:32:57 AM
So Ontario does pave with concrete from time to time. :P Pretty much every picture I've seen in this thread, they're asphalt roads.

IIRC there's 3 sections of MTO road which is concrete? Highway 401 in the Tilbury area, Highway 401 in Mississauga (as seen above), and Highway 402 somewhere.

Also the 407 but that's not MTO

AsphaltPlanet

The 407 was kind of an MTO project.  It was constructed by an arms length crown corporation

There are several other concrete MTO highways
- The 410 in northern Brampton
- The 404 extension to Keswick
- Hwy 3 and there's more

Most of the GTA highway network was originally surfaced by concrete.

There are some other older concrete highways, such as Highway 49 through Prince Edward County, and segments of highway that have since been resurfaced such as Hwy 81 and Hwy 24.

AsphaltPlanet

Hwy 11 crossing the Severn Canal at the northern end of Lake Couchiching:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_11_images/11_DJI_0878_Oct22_24x16.jpg

Avalanchez71

Quote from: kernals12 on May 26, 2022, 10:57:50 AM
https://dailyhive.com/toronto/ontario-survey-highway-413

Survey finds 48% of Ontarians either support or "could accept" construction of Hwy 413 vs 30% who oppose.

Glad to see the public hasn't internalized the Urban middle class bigotry against suburbia

Canadians are more willing to be communal and they have fewer rural inhabitants.  That is likely reflected in the poll.

andrepoiy

The consortium that's currently building the 401 expansion in Mississauga/Milton released this picture.. love the iconic 6 to 3 lane narrowing and the daily backup that it causes

See more pictures at https://401expansion-mississauga-milton.ca/about-this-project/about/project-gallery/

roadman65

Does anyone know the nature of the two different highway shields in Ontario?

One has a crown on top the shield and the other where the crown is the shield.

I am aware Regional Roads are trapezoid and QEW is blue on yellow crown tops, but the other two used I am unaware their nature.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

andrepoiy

If I recall correctly the enclosed crown shields are usually used at junctions, while the shield with crown-on-top are usually reassurance markers. That's probably because the enclosed crowns are more easily readable. QEW shields also come in both variations.

QEW enclosed shield:

Hwy 6 enclosed shield:

7/8

Thekingshighway.ca also has some info on this, if you scroll down to "small junction signs" and "large junction signs". As andrepoiy said, the enclosed crown shields are used at junctions.

One thing I don't understand, and I don't think his website explains it either, is the difference between "regular trailblazer signs" (crown on top) and "junction trailblazer signs" (enclosed crown). How come the former are used in andrepoiy's second photo for the 401, 403, and QEW?

andrepoiy

I've got no idea. Ontario signage is always strange. Such as this

and this (where for some reason "To 85" is just a tab)

Although it seems like based on what I've noticed so far, the crown-enclosed TO signs are used to guide drivers to an entrance of the road where it's not abundantly clear where the entrance might be, while the crown-on-top TO signs are used to indicate a farther-away road. (That's why you see "TO HWY 17" on Hwy 417).

AsphaltPlanet

rickmastfan67

AsphaltPlanet, has any of the 412/418 signage changed to non-toll style yet?

AsphaltPlanet

No, and I don't expect that it will until the signs need to be replaced.

andrepoiy

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 21, 2022, 08:59:23 PM
The 400 at the 407:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_400_images/400_DJI_0803_Oct22_24x16.jpg

Such a high capacity interchange but never used to full capacity... If only this was the interchange built at 401/404 or 401/400...

Chris

andrepoiy

AsphaltPlanet

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.