News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EpicRoadways

Quote from: STLmapboy on January 19, 2021, 06:01:30 PM
Found something interesting in Blaine, MN. Here's a signal installation that uses the classic green base/yellow pole/vertical truss arms scheme that characterized older MN masts; however, this installation came in around 2018.

For those who don't know, here's a typical newer all-gray MN mast arm, located just a block away.
That first example is an Anoka County install. The second one is a MNDOT install. Anoka County still paints their new signals in the "old" Minnesota style. There are a few other agencies around the state that do the same as well, although most have stopped painting their signals in favor of the unpainted mast like you linked below.

ErmineNotyours

roadfro

Quote from: STLmapboy on January 19, 2021, 06:01:30 PM
Found something interesting in Blaine, MN. Here's a signal installation that uses the classic green base/yellow pole/vertical truss arms scheme that characterized older MN masts; however, this installation came in around 2018.

For those who don't know, here's a typical newer all-gray MN mast arm, located just a block away.

Interesting. I haven't seen too many instances of signal mast poles painted like this before.

In the Las Vegas area, it used to be common for the bottom half of signal masts and the entirety of any freestanding poles for signal/pedestrian to be painted yellow. There are examples from every jurisdiction around the valley, including on the Strip–and this also extended to other traffic control installations such as overhead school zone flashers. However, this practice was abandoned in the mid-1990's, likely because the entities didn't want the maintenance cost of repainting poles every so often for what's likely a negligible safety benefit. New installations and one-off pole replacements since then are now bare steel, except some installations have the entire signal structure painted one color (often black or tan) as part of specific area aesthetic treatments. (It must have been a Vegas-area entity practice because, excepting aesthetic treatments, I cannot recall having seen painted traffic signal poles anywhere else in Nevada outside of Clark County.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

EpicRoadways

Here's a really cool extended one-lane road control signal at a park in my area that also serves a boat launch. I had no idea this park (much less this wonky signal setup) even existed until last summer despite having lived nearby my entire life. Of note are not just the signals themselves at the point where the road narrows, but also a series of LED reassurance arrows that run along the road every few hundred feet. Also interesting is that despite the fact that there is a bike path present (on the far left side of the barriers in the first GSV photo) there are no indicators for bicyclists crossing the road a few hundred feet ahead of the initial lane drop to determine which direction traffic is flowing, just stop signs.

STLmapboy

Quote from: EpicRoadways on January 23, 2021, 11:50:30 PM
Here's a really cool extended one-lane road control signal at a park in my area that also serves a boat launch. I had no idea this park (much less this wonky signal setup) even existed until last summer despite having lived nearby my entire life. Of note are not just the signals themselves at the point where the road narrows, but also a series of LED reassurance arrows that run along the road every few hundred feet. Also interesting is that despite the fact that there is a bike path present (on the far left side of the barriers in the first GSV photo) there are no indicators for bicyclists crossing the road a few hundred feet ahead of the initial lane drop to determine which direction traffic is flowing, just stop signs.
That is really cool!
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

roadfro

Quote from: EpicRoadways on January 23, 2021, 11:50:30 PM

That's a really cool setup! I've never seen something like that before. Great way to deal with a one-lane road with no visibility to the other end.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

EpicRoadways

Quote from: Caps81943 on December 07, 2020, 11:58:50 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on December 05, 2020, 05:36:09 PM
Bay City, Texas has some horizontal pole mounted signals such as this one...
SH 35 @ SH 60

Not sure how common these are. I've only seen them in Bay City.

Am I missing something? All I see are horizontal lights on wires, which are very common throughout Texas (at least in the area between Houston and Dallas)
Sorry for the bump, but by pure chance I happened to come across a legitimate pole-mounted horizontal signal in Texas. It's a little strange looking, but I guess whatever works.

jakeroot

Quote from: EpicRoadways on January 29, 2021, 11:14:01 PM
Quote from: Caps81943 on December 07, 2020, 11:58:50 AM
Quote from: CoreySamson on December 05, 2020, 05:36:09 PM
Bay City, Texas has some horizontal pole mounted signals such as this one...
SH 35 @ SH 60

Not sure how common these are. I've only seen them in Bay City.

Am I missing something? All I see are horizontal lights on wires, which are very common throughout Texas (at least in the area between Houston and Dallas)
Sorry for the bump, but by pure chance I happened to come across a legitimate pole-mounted horizontal signal in Texas. It's a little strange looking, but I guess whatever works.

What a bizarre intersection. First, you have a couple of pole-mounted signals for the southbound movement, and a couple others for pedestrians. Bit later, the northbound signals are replaced with entirely pole-mounted signals. Shortly after, the left-most pole-mounted signal for the southbound movement is replaced with a black signal. Bit later still, that signal is moved up and then mounted horizontally (huh!?), and then replaced itself by a yellow signal. All the while, the northbound right-most pole-mounted signal is initially installed vertically, before being placed horizontally, and then around the time the other pole-mounted signal was mounted horizontally, it was then rotated to be vertical again. WTF...they seem to change the intersection for fun every year or so.

bwana39

Quote from: Takumi on March 16, 2012, 10:21:25 PM
Who needs yellow?

I couldn't see where this was ever solved. Are there some reversing lines here? The reversed lanes would be green while open and a RED X when reversed toward you.  This was the setup in Arlington TX for use after Rangers games. Not sure if it still is or not.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

fwydriver405

Quote from: bwana39 on January 30, 2021, 12:56:28 PM
Who needs yellow?

I couldn't see where this was ever solved. Are there some reversing lines here? The reversed lanes would be green while open and a RED X when reversed toward you.  This was the setup in Arlington TX for use after Rangers games. Not sure if it still is or not.

No, IIRC, the signal configuration was:

Y        Y         Y        Y
G       G         G       G
YA
GA

I think the "Y" section (top section) flashes circular yellow for when the signal goes into flash mode and I believe this is a T intersection with protected/permissive left turns. This is the intersection in question...

The side driveway is not controlled by a light, rather, a YIELD sign instead (EDIT: it was formerly controlled by signals pre-2010's).

bwana39

Quote from: fwydriver405 on January 30, 2021, 01:10:16 PM
Who needs yellow?

YA
GA

I think the "Y" section (top section) flashes circular yellow for when the signal goes into flash mode and I believe this is a T intersection with protected/permissive left turns. This is the intersection in question...

The side driveway is not controlled by a light, rather, a YIELD sign instead (EDIT: it was formerly controlled by signals pre-2010's).

I believe you would be right. The GSV is a much better view and you are familiar with the region.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

plain

Quote from: bwana39 on January 30, 2021, 01:32:36 PM
Who needs yellow?

YA
GA

I believe you would be right. The GSV is a much better view and you are familiar with the region.

This is indeed correct. This setup was pretty common where the side street was a right turn only onto the main road. This signal is on US 360 just inside Richmond city limits, though I believe it's a leftover VDOT installation. This area was transitioning at the time because it was part of Chesterfield County before the city annexed it in 1970
Newark born, Richmond bred

fwydriver405

Quote from: plain on January 31, 2021, 12:06:18 PM
Who needs yellow?

YA
GA

This is indeed correct. This setup was pretty common where the side street was a right turn only onto the main road. This signal is on US 360 just inside Richmond city limits, though I believe it's a leftover VDOT installation. This area was transitioning at the time because it was part of Chesterfield County before the city annexed it in 1970

Two questions to ask about this signal:
1. If this signal is upgraded for some reason... could you just get away with just installing a 3-section protected-only or 4-section FYA head for the left turns only?
2. Why were the signals on the side street removed? Wouldn't that make this signal a half signal or something like that?

plain

Quote from: fwydriver405 on January 31, 2021, 01:33:38 PM
Quote from: plain on January 31, 2021, 12:06:18 PM
Who needs yellow?

YA
GA

Two questions to ask about this signal:
1. If this signal is upgraded for some reason... could you just get away with just installing a 3-section protected-only or 4-section FYA head for the left turns only?
2. Why were the signals on the side street removed? Wouldn't that make this signal a half signal or something like that?

1. Yes.

2. I have no clue, but the city did put up a YIELD sign there.
Newark born, Richmond bred

SkyPesos

With SPUI interchanges above the freeway, the vast majority of the non-wires signal layout are a long gantry or mast arm spanning the entire center of the intersection. I found this unique signal layout on the I-270 and MO 340 interchange with the mast arm supports in the median of the arterial (i'll let the GSV describe the rest for itself), and a similar one at I-55 and US 50/61/67. There's also 2 examples on MO 141 with the mast arm support on one of the triangle gores at MO 340 and Ladue. How many more unique SPUI signal layouts are there?

STLmapboy

Quote from: SkyPesos on January 31, 2021, 05:44:41 PM
With SPUI interchanges above the freeway, the vast majority of the non-wires signal layout are a long gantry or mast arm spanning the entire center of the intersection. I found this unique signal layout on the I-270 and MO 340 interchange with the mast arm supports in the median of the arterial (i'll let the GSV describe the rest for itself), and a similar one at I-55 and US 50/61/67. There's also 2 examples on MO 141 with the mast arm support on one of the triangle gores at MO 340 and Ladue. How many more unique SPUI signal layouts are there?
Maybe it's because I go through these intersections almost every day, but I've never noticed anything odd about them.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

SkyPesos

Quote from: STLmapboy on February 01, 2021, 12:35:12 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on January 31, 2021, 05:44:41 PM
Maybe it's because I go through these intersections almost every day, but I've never noticed anything odd about them.
I used to go through the MO 340 and 141 interchange at least twice a week, so I were used to their layouts until I saw a lot of other SPUIs with a long mast arm or truss gantry spanning the center of the intersection, instead of having 2 mast arms at 2 locations in the intersection as what I posted above. But here are some examples for what I mean by normal signal layouts.

Scott5114

I kind of like the Missouri approach better. Here we use full-on monotube gantries for the signals, which are beefy enough that you can see them from literally a mile away.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

I've seen regular mast arms in Edmonton, Alberta. The older SPUIs along the Yellowhead Hwy: https://goo.gl/maps/oQpHV6H1f44fuBWq8

US71

Quote from: jakeroot on February 01, 2021, 09:28:58 PM
I've seen regular mast arms in Edmonton, Alberta. The older SPUIs along the Yellowhead Hwy: https://goo.gl/maps/oQpHV6H1f44fuBWq8

Do all the EXIT signs look like they've been sawed off?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

Quote from: US71 on February 01, 2021, 09:35:06 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on February 01, 2021, 09:28:58 PM

Do all the EXIT signs look like they've been sawed off?

Yeah, that's an Alberta thing. Another example, and another from Calgary.

SignBridge

Years ago New Jersey's Garden State Pkwy. had exit gore signs similar to those.

SkyPesos

STLmapboy

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

US 89

Utah has 11 freeway-under SPUIs. All but one take the "let's put all the lights on one massive monotube in the middle"  approach. The only one that doesn't is the newest one on Bangerter at 114th South, and it is fascinating because it's actually possible for thru traffic on 114th to not realize they're driving through an interchange if they aren't paying attention. It's damn near impossible to miss the interchange on all the others.

There is a bit of variation in how the monotube design is executed. Usually, it's mounted directly across the cross street, as in this example. But sometimes in particularly large SPUIs, it's installed at an angle - for example, at the I-15 and University Parkway interchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.