News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2012 official Kentucky highway map distribution delayed because of typo

Started by hbelkins, March 22, 2012, 12:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Distribution of the 2012 official Kentucky road maps is going to be delayed for a few weeks to allow the maps to be reprinted. When the maps were delivered from the printer, a typo was discovered on the front cover "HIGHWAY" was "HIGWAY." Only a handful of these maps actually made it into circulation and they're scrambling to collect the rest of them before they fall into the hands of collectors. I myself saw the defective version but was unable to get a copy of it for my own personal collection. "This is not a keepsake," I was told. They are only letting a few select people, like the cabinet secretary, have a copy. Unfortunately I was also not able to photograph the cover of the map.

I understand that a few maps were mailed out before the typo was spotted, so this specimen should be a very rare one indeed. Somehow the missing letter got deleted during the production process because I was told it was correct when first prepared.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

In related news, the 2012 Rand McNally is now expected to be released in 2024 after a careful error-correcting process is complete.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Quote from: NE2 on March 22, 2012, 12:05:09 PM
In related news, the 2012 Rand McNally is now expected to be released in 2024 after a careful error-correcting process is complete.

Will South Corolina redbut?

vdeane

Why don't they let collectors have copies?  Is KY embarrassed by this for some reason?  Typos happen all the time.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alex

Quote from: deanej on March 22, 2012, 04:26:34 PM
Why don't they let collectors have copies?  Is KY embarrassed by this for some reason?  Typos happen all the time.

Big typos are embarrassing though, especially in the map industry. A recall of the released maps would help save face.

Alps

This is like the 1933 double eagle, except far less valuable.

mgk920

Scott5114

For some reason that second "H" in highway is always causing problems... an article from the Oklahoman I cited for a Wikipedia article also mentioned "higways", right in the headline on page A1.

So what exactly is a higway?

(It might be whenever you go 85 on I-366)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

I was going through the pictures on my phone the other day, and saw a pic I had taken of a prototype mockup of the '12 KY map. Lo and behold, the "Higway" typo was on that prototype. Oopsie. Sounds like the typo made it all the way though the production process without anyone noticing it.

I can relate. When I was a newspaper editor, I did some of my best proofreading after the paper came out.

I will upload a copy when I can get the pic off my phone and placed in an appropriate online location for sharing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.