AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The next forum trivia night will take place on OCTOBER 30, 2019 at 8:15 PM Eastern.

Author Topic: District of Columbia  (Read 223912 times)

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 04:13:37 PM
Re: District of Columbia
« Reply #975 on: November 01, 2019, 09:17:37 PM »

WMATA, however, is indeed an acronym

wuhmatuh

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 12:51:45 PM
« Reply #976 on: November 01, 2019, 10:00:04 PM »

WMATA, however, is indeed an acronym
wuhmatuh

Yeah, wuh-mah-tuh is how many people pronounce that.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to rest, and resting died.

KEVIN_224

• Last Login: December 05, 2019, 03:12:07 PM
« Reply #977 on: November 02, 2019, 03:47:18 PM »

How has traffic been today with the parade for the Washington Nationals? I'm sure METRO will be happy. :)

(P.S. Portland, ME has their METRO city bus system. That's not an acronym either. Like with DC, I've always wrote it that way.)

AlexandriaVA

• Last Login: November 30, 2019, 05:44:13 PM
« Reply #978 on: November 02, 2019, 05:30:05 PM »

How has traffic been today with the parade for the Washington Nationals? I'm sure METRO will be happy. :)

(P.S. Portland, ME has their METRO city bus system. That's not an acronym either. Like with DC, I've always wrote it that way.)

Not sure, as I took the Yellow Line in and out from the city (Archives station on the way in, L'Enfant Plaza on the way out).

There were a lot of downtown road closures, and the staging area for the parade was the Mall. To extent that I saw much of anything, it seems that maybe some of the garages around the L'Enfant Plaza area had an uptick in volume, which makes sense (right off 395, south of the Mall).

I think a lot of people took Metro though; crowding at the Archives station was so much that our train operator held the doors when we arrived, as there was a backlog of people exiting the station, and they didn't want the platforms overflowing (Archives is a low-capacity station with a single escalator complex on an island platform).

Overhearing chatter on the Metro, I got the vibe that a decent amount of folks were from the outer suburbs/exurbs (e.g. Fredericksburg), and were taking Metro in from the very end of the system. One young boy asked his father if the river we were going over (the Potomac) was the Rappohanack.

Also, you could tell a lot of the riders today were infrequent riders. For instance, one woman on board the Yellow Line asked us when the Federal Triangle stop would show up. I told her just to follow the crowds in Nats gear. I had the suspicion that a lot of people were riding for the first time ever, or in an extremely rare situation...there was also a lot of activity at exit fare machines (cash only!)

AlexandriaVA

« Reply #979 on: November 03, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »

Wasn't sure whether this should go on the thread, or the NOVA HOT lanes thread. But the middle span of the 14th St bridge (Rochambeau Bridge) has been closed all weekend, and it looks like workers are installing an information screen (for southbound) and then typical exit signage on the opposite side (for northbound). If there are any serious plans to HOT the SE/SW freeway, they've definitely got the facilitating infrastructure in place.

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 04:06:01 PM
« Reply #980 on: November 05, 2019, 12:40:32 PM »

Driving into the city on Sunday for the Caps game, I noticed most of the signs that said “Verizon Center” have been updated to say “Capital One Arena” using greenout and blueout (the latter on a blue sign on the ramp to 12th Street). It’s pretty much hideous in every case because they had to cram the new, longer name into the same amount of space as the old name. The patches don’t match the main signs’ shades of green, either.

I wonder if there’s some generic descriptor that would work better. “Sports Arena” isn’t necessarily specific enough.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AlexandriaVA

« Reply #981 on: November 05, 2019, 03:59:22 PM »

I noticed those. They're really bad...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.