News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 11 alignment, though Vegas and points north

Started by swbrotha100, October 16, 2012, 09:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClassicHasClass

^^^
Erroneous signs thread says hi if someone gets a photo.

DenverBrian

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on October 28, 2023, 12:40:06 PM
^^^
I snipped a photo off Google Maps (Stephanie, not Gibson, my bad)...but apparently this board makes it near impossible to post a pic.

heynow415

Quote from: DenverBrian on October 29, 2023, 04:58:09 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on October 28, 2023, 12:40:06 PM
^^^
I snipped a photo off Google Maps (Stephanie, not Gibson, my bad)...but apparently this board makes it near impossible to post a pic.

Posting photos is not simple but for GSV images you can just copy the image URL and paste that in to your message

DenverBrian

ClassicHasClass

kernals12

The Ghostbuster

It looks like the study limits would extend Interstate 11 all the way to present-day Exit 136 (Mercury Hwy.) on US 95. I guess extending 11 any further, say to Interstate 80, is not being planned at this time (and it may never happen).

cl94

That portion is cheap. Handful of at-grades need to be closed and you're at I-standards. If the feds will fund it, may as well look at it.

North of Mercury isn't even in the 2050 statewide transportation plan. You'd need to bypass several towns and it honestly isn't necessary. Just not enough traffic to warrant more than passing lanes.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

thsftw

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 15, 2023, 05:45:40 PM
It looks like the study limits would extend Interstate 11 all the way to present-day Exit 136 (Mercury Hwy.) on US 95. I guess extending 11 any further, say to Interstate 80, is not being planned at this time (and it may never happen).

What an interesting place to end the interstate...there's nothing there and if you went at least to Beatty you'd have the Death Valley connection.

DenverBrian

Quote from: thsftw on November 15, 2023, 06:15:39 PM

What an interesting place to end the interstate...there's nothing there and if you went at least to Beatty you'd have the Death Valley connection.
This would instantly become the most desolate termination of an interstate highway in the US.

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on November 15, 2023, 05:49:19 PM
That portion is cheap. Handful of at-grades need to be closed and you're at I-standards. If the feds will fund it, may as well look at it.

North of Mercury isn't even in the 2050 statewide transportation plan. You'd need to bypass several towns and it honestly isn't necessary. Just not enough traffic to warrant more than passing lanes.
I mean, there are at-grade intersections with state highways, so maybe not just "close the at-grades".

vdeane

Looks like there's some kind of government facility.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

Quote from: vdeane on November 15, 2023, 08:32:29 PM

Looks like there's some kind of government facility.

Nevada Test Site - where nuclear weapons were tested.
Mercury was a small, closed town built for the workers at the test site.

kernals12

That would be extremely unusual for a 2 digit interstate to end in the middle of nowhere without intersecting another interstate. I-99 is the only other example I can think of, and of course that doesn't comply with AASHTO numbering rules.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on November 15, 2023, 08:28:16 PM
Quote from: cl94 on November 15, 2023, 05:49:19 PM

I mean, there are at-grade intersections with state highways, so maybe not just "close the at-grades".

Overly simplified. Build a half dozen interchanges and some minimum maintenance frontage roads for the BLM roads and you're good.

Re: the ending, it would end there because that's where the 4-lane road ends. Also precedent for Interstates ending at military installations, which NNSS is.

I will also highlight that this is a feasibility study, not a "we're going to build this." I would not be surprised if the end result is little more than "we do a few spot improvements in the medium term to improve safety." AADT just north of Exit 99 is close to 14k, but it drops below 10k north of SR 156 and below 5k north of Indian Springs.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

kkt

Quote from: kernals12 on November 15, 2023, 10:15:02 PM
That would be extremely unusual for a 2 digit interstate to end in the middle of nowhere without intersecting another interstate. I-99 is the only other example I can think of, and of course that doesn't comply with AASHTO numbering rules.

I-80's western end is at US 101 without another two-digit interstate anywhere nearby...

sprjus4

NC I-87 currently ends 13 miles east of the I-440 loop around Raleigh, and just transitions back into US-64, since that portion is not up to interstate standards.

A similar situation will exist with NC I-42 when it's designated around Clayton and Goldsboro.

NC I-73 terminates about 10–15 miles north of Greensboro and transitions into 4 lane US-220. Similar situation with I-74 in the southern part of the state and US-74.

It's not unprecedented. They are not meant as permanent terminations, just temporary until the rest of the highway gets built at some point in the... long-term future.

Taters

Pretty common for partially completed Interstates from what I've seen. I-2 ends kind of out in nowhere at US-83 west of McAllen. I-74 and I-87 have several termini that aren't near any population center. I-86 in New York ends in a small town before having a 1 mile crossover into Pennsylvania and then back. It's certainly possible that some of these will never be connected, but many of these eventually will and just like it was back in the 1960s-1990s, there will be highways with interesting termini and gaps, until they're all finished. I-10 or I-90 wasn't built in a day.

lstone19

Quote from: kkt on November 15, 2023, 11:39:39 PM

I-80's western end is at US 101 without another two-digit interstate anywhere nearby...

I-80s end at US 101 very near downtown San Francisco is hardly the middle of nowhere as asked above. It also ends at an interchange with another freeway, albeit a non-Interstate freeway.

kernals12

Quote from: kkt on November 15, 2023, 11:39:39 PM

But it ends in the heart of San Francisco. That's not "the middle of nowhere".

Quote from: sprjus4 on November 16, 2023, 12:34:35 AM
NC I-87 currently ends 13 miles east of the I-440 loop around Raleigh, and just transitions back into US-64, since that portion is not up to interstate standards.

A similar situation will exist with NC I-42 when it's designated around Clayton and Goldsboro.

NC I-73 terminates about 10–15 miles north of Greensboro and transitions into 4 lane US-220. Similar situation with I-74 in the southern part of the state and US-74.

It's not unprecedented. They are not meant as permanent terminations, just temporary until the rest of the highway gets built at some point in the... long-term future.

Again, those are temporary. CL94 is saying that I-11 ending in Mercury will be the permanent situation.

kernals12

In fact, I'm pretty sure that, under AASHTO rules, an interstate from Las Vegas to Mercury would be a spur route and have to be given a 3 digit designation. I hope they choose 711.

sprjus4

Quote from: kernals12 on November 16, 2023, 07:53:48 AM
Again, those are temporary. CL94 is saying that I-11 ending in Mercury will be the permanent
situation.
The I-11 corridor is slated to eventually be constructed north towards Reno. While it may not happen for 50+ years, that is the long term plan. Mercury would not be the permanent end for I-11 for planning purposes.

roadfro

Again, those are temporary. CL94 is saying that I-11 ending in Mercury will be the permanent situation.

cl94 pointed out that this is a feasibility study to upgrade a portion of divided highway to interstate, and given existing traffic volumes that a full upgrade may seem unlikely over targeted spot improvements. I think cl94 (correctly) implied current traffic volumes suggest it unlikely for further upgrades beyond this for the foreseeable future.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

The news release for the public hearing included this little nugget in the last paragraph (emphasis added):

Quote from: https://www.dot.nv.gov/Home/Components/News/News/8004/395In 2022, highway authorities pinpointed the preferred route for Interstate 11 through the Las Vegas Valley. This route will utilize I-515 and U.S. 95, traversing Clark County between Henderson and Kyle Canyon. The official process of renaming and resigning those freeways is slated to begin in early 2024.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cl94

Quote from: roadfro on November 16, 2023, 11:28:31 AM

cl94 pointed out that this is a feasibility study to upgrade a portion of divided highway to interstate, and given existing traffic volumes that a full upgrade may seem unlikely over targeted spot improvements. I think cl94 (correctly) implied current traffic volumes suggest it unlikely for further upgrades beyond this for the foreseeable future.

This. Mercury wouldn't be a "permanent" end, but simply where the current divided highway ends. This is a relatively easy study given the current conditions. Will I-11 extend further 50-100 years from now? Possibly. But there's a decent chance this ends up like I-73.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.