News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JREwing78

This YouTube channel has documented the work north of Midland to restore the area (including bridges, dams, and lakes) following the flooding in May 2020.
https://www.youtube.com/c/JordanMowbray

roadwaywiz95

For this upcoming weekend's Webinar presentation, we'll be taking a look at the important freeways and interstates across northern & western Michigan, including the Grand Rapids, Lansing, Flint, and Lansing metropolitan areas. Coverage will begin on Saturday (1/23) at 6 PM ET and will feature live contributions from members of this forum; we hope to see you there!

Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

NWI_Irish96

196 is a lot longer than either 496 or 675.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

The Ghostbuster

As you all know, the Muskegon-to-Grand Rapids route was originally part of Interstate 196, with 96 heading west and south from Grand Rapids-via-Holland to meet Interstate 94. 96 and 196 were swapped in the 1960's. I think that 196, at 80.594 miles in length, is too long for a 3-digit Interstate Highway, especially one that has an odd first digit. Maybe 196 should have been designated Interstate 67, as was requested by then-Michigan state highway commissioner (and AASHO president) John C. Mackie in 1963: http://www.michiganhighways.org/listings/MichHwys180-199.html#I-196.

rawmustard

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 20, 2021, 02:37:14 PM
As you all know, the Muskegon-to-Grand Rapids route was originally part of Interstate 196, with 96 heading west and south from Grand Rapids-via-Holland to meet Interstate 94. 96 and 196 were swapped in the 1960's. I think that 196, at 80.594 miles in length, is too long for a 3-digit Interstate Highway, especially one that has an odd first digit. Maybe 196 should have been designated Interstate 67, as was requested by then-Michigan state highway commissioner (and AASHO president) John C. Mackie in 1963: http://www.michiganhighways.org/listings/MichHwys180-199.html#I-196.

What would you suggest the maximum length of a three-digit Insterstate be? There's no way anyone would suggest a loop greater than 80 miles (such as Cincinnati's I-275) get a two-digit number.

mgk920

Quote from: rawmustard on January 20, 2021, 03:56:49 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 20, 2021, 02:37:14 PM

What would you suggest the maximum length of a three-digit Insterstate be? There's no way anyone would suggest a loop greater than 80 miles (such as Cincinnati's I-275) get a two-digit number.

Kind of like the A10 autobahn in Germany?

Mike

TheHighwayMan3561

What about 476 PA, 380 IA, etc.?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

Since when is there a limit on how long a 3-di can be?

afguy

A DDI interchange is coming to 8 Mile/Telegraph Rd interchange in Detroit...
QuoteOne of the biggest projects slated for 2021 will be the reconstruction of the 50-year of Telegraph and 8 Mile interchange. There are plans to make the interchange into a safer diverging diamond.There are also plans for reconstruction of Telegraph from Grand River Avenue to just north of 8 Mile Road."We are going to pull everything out, go down to the sand, and rebuild Telegraph from Grand River to 8 Mile,"  said Diane Cross with the Michigan Department of Transportation.Cross says Telegraph will have two lanes open at all times during the construction period, however the construction will close down ramps.
https://www.wxyz.com/news/mdot-planning-busy-2021-construction-season

Flint1979

Quote from: afguy on January 21, 2021, 08:16:23 PM
QuoteOne of the biggest projects slated for 2021 will be the reconstruction of the 50-year of Telegraph and 8 Mile interchange. There are plans to make the interchange into a safer diverging diamond.There are also plans for reconstruction of Telegraph from Grand River Avenue to just north of 8 Mile Road."We are going to pull everything out, go down to the sand, and rebuild Telegraph from Grand River to 8 Mile,"  said Diane Cross with the Michigan Department of Transportation.Cross says Telegraph will have two lanes open at all times during the construction period, however the construction will close down ramps.
Get ready for massive traffic jams on the Southfield Freeway.

wanderer2575

That's interesting, because MDOT's Five-Year 2021-2025 plan shows only "healer sealer" maintenance is scheduled for this year on the 8 Mile Road bridges over Telegraph Road, while this story indicates removal of the bridges and construction of a DDI.  Can't say I'm thrilled about another set of traffic signals in one of the corridors, but I agree the current mutated cloverleaf needs to go.  Can't wait to see which road will have the exit ramps with no traffic signals.

Other upcoming metro Detroit freeway projects noted in the story:

• Reconstruction of I-275 from south of I-94 to north of 5 Mile Road.  This has been needed for years; the road has had asphalt resurfacing but there are many killer potholes from the failing original concrete underneath.  I can't believe this all can be done in one year.  Work between Ford Road (M-153) and 5 Mile was scheduled for 2020 per previous Five-Year plans but that didn't happen.  Work between I-94 and Ford Road was previously scheduled for two years later but maybe that is being accelerated.
  • Reconstruction of I-696 between I-275 and Orchard Lake Road.  The Five-Year plan says it's a longer stretch, between I-275 and Lahser Road, so we'll see.  Previous Five-Year plans had this scheduled for 2023; apparently it's been accelerated.  Reconstruction of of I-696 between Lahser Road and Dequindre Road now shows scheduled for 2023.
  • Reconstruction of I-96 between I-275 and east of Kent Lake Road.  I think this will be the Big One with regards to traffic jams.  MDOT announced plans a few years ago to implement a part-time flex-lane system along this stretch, similar to what's on US-23 north of Ann Arbor.  I think this also has been accelerated; it originally wasn't scheduled to happen for at least a few more years.  I was hoping that with this project now being funded with Rebuilding Michigan bond funds it would be expanded to add a permanent fourth lane in each direction, but apparently that isn't happening and the flex-lane system is still on tap.
The new Five-Year plan shows reconstruction of M-14 between Newburgh and Sheldon roads has been pushed back to 2023.  This received asphalt resurfacing a few years ago, which immediately started falling apart because of the failing concrete underneath.

Papa Emeritus

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 24, 2021, 12:26:45 AM

That's interesting, because MDOT's Five-Year 2021-2025 plan shows only "healer sealer" maintenance is scheduled for this year on the 8 Mile Road bridges over Telegraph Road, while this story indicates removal of the bridges and construction of a DDI.  Can't say I'm thrilled about another set of traffic signals in one of the corridors, but I agree the current mutated cloverleaf needs to go.  Can't wait to see which road will have the exit ramps with no traffic signals.

Other upcoming metro Detroit freeway projects noted in the story:

• Reconstruction of I-275 from south of I-94 to north of 5 Mile Road.  This has been needed for years; the road has had asphalt resurfacing but there are many killer potholes from the failing original concrete underneath.  I can't believe this all can be done in one year.  Work between Ford Road (M-153) and 5 Mile was scheduled for 2020 per previous Five-Year plans but that didn't happen.  Work between I-94 and Ford Road was previously scheduled for two years later but maybe that is being accelerated.
  • Reconstruction of I-696 between I-275 and Orchard Lake Road.  The Five-Year plan says it's a longer stretch, between I-275 and Lahser Road, so we'll see.  Previous Five-Year plans had this scheduled for 2023; apparently it's been accelerated.  Reconstruction of of I-696 between Lahser Road and Dequindre Road now shows scheduled for 2023.
  • Reconstruction of I-96 between I-275 and east of Kent Lake Road.  I think this will be the Big One with regards to traffic jams.  MDOT announced plans a few years ago to implement a part-time flex-lane system along this stretch, similar to what's on US-23 north of Ann Arbor.  I think this also has been accelerated; it originally wasn't scheduled to happen for at least a few more years.  I was hoping that with this project now being funded with Rebuilding Michigan bond funds it would be expanded to add a permanent fourth lane in each direction, but apparently that isn't happening and the flex-lane system is still on tap.
The new Five-Year plan shows reconstruction of M-14 between Newburgh and Sheldon roads has been pushed back to 2023.  This received asphalt resurfacing a few years ago, which immediately started falling apart because of the failing concrete underneath.

The three best ways to get between Metro Airport and Birmingham / Bloomfield Hills are I 94 to Telegraph, or I-94 to the Southfield, or  I-275 to I-696 to Telegraph / Lahser / Evergreen.

With two of these three routes affected by construction, and many of the people who would have taken Telegraph choosing the Southfield, it's going to be tough getting to / from the airport if you live in the northwest suburbs.

Ryctor2018

https://www.wlen.com/2021/01/20/virtual-public-meeting-scheduled-for-us-127-us-223-project/

This is from earlier in the month, but I wanted to add this here as well. I cross-posted this to the I-73 thread. US-127 and US-223 are being repaired/rebuilt. The major item from the article: The US-127/US-223 project involves rebuilding approximately 3.9 miles of US-127 from the north village limit of Addison north to US-12 and rebuilding approximately 11.1 miles of US-223 from US-127 southeast to Stoddard Road in Lenawee County. The proposed work will include building a roundabout at the US-127/US-223 intersection, drainage improvements, geometric upgrades, and signal modernization. 
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

Flint1979

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on February 23, 2021, 02:01:18 PM
https://www.wlen.com/2021/01/20/virtual-public-meeting-scheduled-for-us-127-us-223-project/

This is from earlier in the month, but I wanted to add this here as well. I cross-posted this to the I-73 thread. US-127 and US-223 are being repaired/rebuilt. The major item from the article: The US-127/US-223 project involves rebuilding approximately 3.9 miles of US-127 from the north village limit of Addison north to US-12 and rebuilding approximately 11.1 miles of US-223 from US-127 southeast to Stoddard Road in Lenawee County. The proposed work will include building a roundabout at the US-127/US-223 intersection, drainage improvements, geometric upgrades, and signal modernization.
That'll fix US-223 and US-127 acting as one highway there.

JREwing78

Continued baby steps to rid US-127 between St. Johns and Ithaca of direct cross traffic, starting next week and slated for a mid-May completion:

The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is investing about $2 million to perform safety improvements on US-127 at the French Road, Mead Road, Marshal Road, Hyde Road, and Maple Rapids Road intersections in Clinton County.

Improvements will consist of indirect left turns with loons (Michigan Lefts), extending concrete left-turn lanes to crossroads, and building concrete right-turn lanes.

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-9620_11057-554199--,00.html

GaryV

Loons?  The state is saying they will do left turns using waterfowl that get their portraits on Canadian money?

JoePCool14

Since when were Michigan Lefts called "loons"?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

wanderer2575

Quote from: GaryV on March 11, 2021, 04:30:37 PM
Loons?  The state is saying they will do left turns using waterfowl that get their portraits on Canadian money?

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 11, 2021, 05:32:04 PM

A loon is the expanded paved apron that allows large vehicles such as semi-trailer trucks and RVs to make a U-turn on a divided highway.  US-127 has a fairly narrow median in this area so the additional space is needed.

Here's a loon on southbound M-24 in Oakland County:  https://goo.gl/maps/Xx9QipxJwcUaGa2N7

skluth

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 11, 2021, 06:02:45 PM
Quote from: GaryV on March 11, 2021, 04:30:37 PM

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 11, 2021, 05:32:04 PM

A loon is the expanded paved apron that allows large vehicles such as semi-trailer trucks and RVs to make a U-turn on a divided highway.  US-127 has a fairly narrow median in this area so the additional space is needed.

Here's a loon on southbound M-24 in Oakland County:  https://goo.gl/maps/Xx9QipxJwcUaGa2N7

Thank you for the explanation. I had never heard that usage before.

pianocello

Quote from: JREwing78 on March 11, 2021, 04:21:21 PM
Continued baby steps to rid US-127 between St. Johns and Ithaca of direct cross traffic, starting next week and slated for a mid-May completion:

The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is investing about $2 million to perform safety improvements on US-127 at the French Road, Mead Road, Marshal Road, Hyde Road, and Maple Rapids Road intersections in Clinton County.

Improvements will consist of indirect left turns with loons (Michigan Lefts), extending concrete left-turn lanes to crossroads, and building concrete right-turn lanes.

Is this any different to the treatment they performed at French Rd and Hyde Rd a couple years back? They already closed the median and added the "loons" (this is the first I've heard that one, too) at those two intersections, so I would think this project is just doing the same thing to the other three.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

wanderer2575

Quote from: pianocello on March 11, 2021, 10:01:34 PM

Is this any different to the treatment they performed at French Rd and Hyde Rd a couple years back? They already closed the median and added the "loons" (this is the first I've heard that one, too) at those two intersections, so I would think this project is just doing the same thing to the other three.

Sure sounds like the same thing.  I don't know why the locations already done were mentioned, unless they're all in one multi-year project package. 

I drove US-127 between Ithaca and St. Johns just a couple weeks ago, and I was surprised at the number of direct crossroad intersections still remaining.  After this project is finished there are still many more intersections to be modified.

JREwing78

The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) has opened the M-30 temporary bridge over the Tobacco River in Gladwin County today, following a 10-month closure of the M-30 corridor due to several locations of bridge damage following flooding and infrastructure failures in May 2020.

https://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,4616,7-151-9620-554246--,00.html

Terry Shea

Does this mean that MDOT is not going to go ahead with plans to convert this to a freeway?

Ryctor2018

Doesn't look like it, not right now. Looks more like they are trying to upgrade the road to "controlled access", not limited access. Close off the cross roads, consolidate driveways, Michigan Lefts and RIRO intersections seem to be what they are trying to due. Maybe in a decade when more money can be had the full freeway upgrade may happen.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

rawmustard

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on March 12, 2021, 01:20:11 PM
Doesn't look like it, not right now. Looks more like they are trying to upgrade the road to "controlled access", not limited access. Close off the cross roads, consolidate driveways, Michigan Lefts and RIRO intersections seem to be what they are trying to due. Maybe in a decade when more money can be had the full freeway upgrade may happen.

"Controlled access" is the term for making a road a full-fledged freeway, whereas "limited access" eliminates most driveways but still allows for access with at-grade intersections. On my last trip up that way, I noticed more properties are being abandoned (likely sold to MDOT), but there are still a few that still need to be sold. I've also not yet seen just how the routing will be at Uncle John's, which is the last major property along the route.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.