AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Erroneous road signs  (Read 1324346 times)

roadfro

• Last Login: July 04, 2020, 07:22:55 PM
Re: Erroneous road signs
« Reply #4450 on: June 23, 2019, 03:47:16 PM »

^ I've never seen a sign covered with a floating panel like this before. In Nevada, a cover obscuring sign element like this would be affixed directly to the main sign by rivets or using tarp taped to the sign.

If they went through the trouble to cover an element of the sign like this for a long-term closure, they could have found a way to cover the exit only message to say something like "Exit 1/2 mile" (or whatever) to reflect the lane condition due to said closure.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

wanderer2575

• Last Login: Today at 08:27:14 AM
« Reply #4451 on: June 23, 2019, 05:34:36 PM »

^^  Michigan used to attach temporary panels with rivets or even what appeared to be duct tape, but these damaged the signs.  MDOT's standard for many years has been to attach "floating" covering panels with brackets.

My point (in agreement with your statement) is that the Exit Only banner should have been covered, maybe with a non-yellow backed dancing arrow.  In retrospect, I suppose I can't fault the sign crew.  It's almost a certainty the temporary sign plans were part of the contract specs issued by MDOT.  It would have been nice had the contractor pointed out the idiocy of this particular one, but no doubt it was hardly high on his list of concerns.

thenetwork

• Last Login: Today at 12:53:21 PM
« Reply #4452 on: June 23, 2019, 09:49:15 PM »

^^  Michigan used to attach temporary panels with rivets or even what appeared to be duct tape, but these damaged the signs.  MDOT's standard for many years has been to attach "floating" covering panels with brackets.

My point (in agreement with your statement) is that the Exit Only banner should have been covered, maybe with a non-yellow backed dancing arrow.  In retrospect, I suppose I can't fault the sign crew.  It's almost a certainty the temporary sign plans were part of the contract specs issued by MDOT.  It would have been nice had the contractor pointed out the idiocy of this particular one, but no doubt it was hardly high on his list of concerns.

I seem to remember back in the mid 80s, during a family cross-country vacation trip, one state in the center of the country (Iowa? Nebraska?) installed wooden "hurdles" in front of the ground-mounted BGSs to 'block out' the line(s) of text/control city that was not able to be accessed from that particular exit (likely due to a closed road/signed route). 

wanderer2575

« Reply #4453 on: June 30, 2019, 09:35:57 AM »

Crap like this is what happens when there are multiple roadwork projects and no coordination of signing.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 01:24:02 PM
« Reply #4454 on: June 30, 2019, 10:26:03 AM »

Crap like this is what happens when there are multiple roadwork projects and no coordination of signing.

Unfortunately, the closeup of the pics lends itself to not seeing the big picture.  For the first pic, if there was a ramp split, the detour sign could be used to show motorists to keep to the left, then immediately after is the detour sign showing people to take the next exit.

The bottom pic is certainly two different projects, and while one ends just before the next one begins, the projects are on different schedules and signage used for one project is independent of another project.  When it comes to contracts and signing responsibilities, it's surprisingly difficult to coordinate two different projects.  Many contractors don't want to be involved with another project in any way as if an incident or accident were to happen, suddenly both contractors are going to find themselves under investigation for liability.

TEG24601

• Last Login: Today at 11:54:49 AM
    • Tegianzone
« Reply #4455 on: June 30, 2019, 10:28:04 AM »

I have no faith in this one, as they couldn't even afford the M on the route marker (the digital sign says M 8, so I can assume by that and the traffic signals, that this is Detroit).
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

wanderer2575

« Reply #4456 on: June 30, 2019, 07:30:01 PM »

Unfortunately, the closeup of the pics lends itself to not seeing the big picture.  For the first pic, if there was a ramp split, the detour sign could be used to show motorists to keep to the left, then immediately after is the detour sign showing people to take the next exit.

The bottom pic is certainly two different projects, and while one ends just before the next one begins, the projects are on different schedules and signage used for one project is independent of another project.  When it comes to contracts and signing responsibilities, it's surprisingly difficult to coordinate two different projects.  Many contractors don't want to be involved with another project in any way as if an incident or accident were to happen, suddenly both contractors are going to find themselves under investigation for liability.

Top photo:  There was no ramp split; these are signs belonging to two separate projects along different stretches of M-8 in Detroit (one sign for each).  This was on northbound M-10 approaching M-8; the interchange has a left exit to westbound M-8 and a right exit to eastbound M-8.  This one perhaps is not so much erroneous as it is careless with each respective contractor not covering its signs when its detour was not in effect.  I'm sure most contractors don't want to be involved in any way with other projects, so let's call it an MDOT fail for not requiring its contractors to properly maintain signs including covering those not applicable at a particular time.  Bottom line is that's little consolation for the northbound motorist wishing to exit to westbound M-8 and completely confused as to whether he may do so. 

Bottom photo:  Both projects are happening simultaneously, on the same city road, overseen by the same city road engineering department.  This one at least doesn't send motorists down the wrong road, but again let's call it an overseeing agency fail.

roadman65

• Last Login: July 04, 2020, 10:06:34 PM
« Reply #4457 on: August 16, 2019, 10:26:22 PM »

https://goo.gl/maps/QGFiQh96wAywVv9j7
This should read WEST US 30 and not TO as its on US 30 W Bound.   US 30 turns left onto Girard Avenue from 34th Street.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

fwydriver405

• UMaine Orono - Civil Engineering Student

• Last Login: July 02, 2020, 11:25:45 AM
« Reply #4458 on: August 17, 2019, 04:34:22 AM »

Until around 2017-18 ish, there was a speed limit sign à la Oregon on East Avenue in Lewiston, Maine. I last saw this sign on 30 September 2016, but recent Street View images suggest the sign was taken down. 

Oregon styled SPEED 30 sign in Lewiston, Maine

odditude

• Last Login: July 03, 2020, 04:53:53 PM
« Reply #4459 on: August 17, 2019, 01:30:13 PM »

This should read WEST US 30 and not TO as its on US 30 W Bound.   US 30 turns left onto Girard Avenue from 34th Street.

the signs are aimed at NB traffic on 34th St, not the people who just merged onto 34th St from I-76 WB exit 342 (carrying US 30 WB as well). if you consider this sign from that perspective, it would be incorrect as you suggest; it would imply you DON'T get to US 30 EB by turning left there (which you do).

roadman65

• Last Login: July 04, 2020, 10:06:34 PM
« Reply #4460 on: August 17, 2019, 06:09:09 PM »

the signs are aimed at NB traffic on 34th St, not the people who just merged onto 34th St from I-76 WB exit 342 (carrying US 30 WB as well). if you consider this sign from that perspective, it would be incorrect as you suggest; it would imply you DON'T get to US 30 EB by turning left there (which you do).
Yeah a catch 22 here, but still for those exiting at Exit 342 and following US 30 W Bound its incorrect.  Even though like you say for 34th Street N Bound its not incorrect as that is US 13 junctioning with US 30 there it still be better if a West sign be there and a TO East for the other direction. 

At least they got this signed. I must admit, as the rest of US 13 is poorly signed.  Go across the river from here on Girard and see how the 33rd Street intersection is signed where US 13 North turns left again.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: Today at 12:33:15 PM
« Reply #4461 on: September 12, 2019, 04:15:19 PM »

A new one, found completely via Google Street View:
Check out the "P" in "IndianaPolis".  Demountable copy Clearview to boot.
https://goo.gl/maps/Cc1DzxYvog3c4bD97
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.
Fire Pritzker 2022!

CardInLex

• Last Login: July 04, 2020, 07:45:07 PM
« Reply #4462 on: September 14, 2019, 10:49:53 PM »

This whole stretch is embarrassing.

Muhammad Ali Blvd
1/2 MILE (upside down W for an M and some handcrafted numerals)
https://goo.gl/maps/o4Z1fUyXaMtSFeQTA

Dr. M.L. King, Jr.
EXpreSSway
https://goo.gl/maps/p4G4NLyfTXsZ67fb6

These signs were altered for MOT during the Ohio River Bridges Project and were put back poorly.

wanderer2575

« Reply #4463 on: September 15, 2019, 12:31:32 AM »

Muhammad Ali Blvd

Dr. M.L. King, Jr.
EXpreSSway

These signs were altered for MOT during the Ohio River Bridges Project and were put back poorly.

These aren't erroneous; just sloppy.  There are other threads for ugly signs.

fillup420

• Last Login: July 04, 2020, 11:17:49 PM
Erroneous road signs
« Reply #4464 on: September 15, 2019, 07:45:49 AM »

upside down sign for the beginning of a median. was like that for at least 5 years. one night i passed it and had enough, so i flipped it right myself. Google maps hasn’t yet updated to reflect my guerrilla public service.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3240+Blowing+Rock+Blvd,+Lenoir,+NC+28645/@36.0091592,-81.5713453,3a,75y,164.31h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s61d7STmLFk2nQtUkt6XLEQ!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x8850e0e2ba72b963:0xab6e2778a14823af

edit: you gotta turn around on the street view. its the yellow diamond sign before the median begins.

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: Today at 12:33:15 PM
« Reply #4465 on: September 15, 2019, 10:30:19 AM »

Muhammad Ali Blvd

Dr. M.L. King, Jr.
EXpreSSway

That ML King one is a candidate for the Worst thread.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.
Fire Pritzker 2022!

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 11:18:16 AM
« Reply #4466 on: September 15, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »

Heh. My wife normally rolls her eyes if I show her a bad road sign, but even she grimaced at that MLK sign and said, "Some people have NO quality control."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: July 02, 2020, 02:21:40 PM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #4467 on: September 15, 2019, 02:17:26 PM »

Heh. My wife normally rolls her eyes if I show her a bad road sign, but even she grimaced at that MLK sign and said, "Some people have NO quality control."

That's arguably worse than the old CrAiG cOuNtY sign. It's an overhead BGS on an interstate, which should really be held to a higher standard than everyday road signs. And then it has Clearview thrown in for good measure.

CardInLex

• Last Login: July 04, 2020, 07:45:07 PM
« Reply #4468 on: September 16, 2019, 04:56:20 PM »

That's arguably worse than the old CrAiG cOuNtY sign. It's an overhead BGS on an interstate, which should really be held to a higher standard than everyday road signs. And then it has Clearview thrown in for good measure.

Yes. I believe during construction the word “expressway” was removed so two arrows could be installed to point to lanes for maintenance of traffic. I wish KYTC would go ahead and replace both signs.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: July 04, 2020, 03:57:06 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #4469 on: September 16, 2019, 07:44:16 PM »

Report them here:

https://bpm.kytc.ky.gov/ApplicationBuilder/eFormRender.html?code=810A005056A2147711773A3B03F6EFEF&Process=PA-DV-ReportAPothole

The link says "Report a Pothole" but you can select a "Sign" button to report the problematic signage.

formulanone

• Last Login: Today at 12:56:10 PM
« Reply #4470 on: September 26, 2019, 06:15:47 PM »

Looking through last year's Calgary photos, I found that the 566 shield on this overhead should be a Secondary shield (an oval), not an Alberta Primary. Northbound on AB2 - Deerfoot Trail:

I also like the "LANE ENDS", with the diagrammatic above it. Kind of pointless, but it makes you take note of it on a wide gantry.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 06:27:52 AM by formulanone »
Latest Photo Thread | Flickr | Civilization isn't collapsing, it's somewhere between structurally deficient and functionally obsolete.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 12:59:07 PM
« Reply #4471 on: September 27, 2019, 01:30:17 AM »

I also like the "LANE ENDS", with the diagrammatic above it. Kind of pointless, but it make you take note of it on a wide gantry.

I've seen similar signs in Vancouver, although the symbol was black on yellow.

MNHighwayMan

• Blue and gold forever!

• Last Login: February 17, 2020, 10:23:20 PM
« Reply #4472 on: September 27, 2019, 05:58:31 AM »

I wonder if the residents of Balzac know what the name of their town sounds like.

KEVIN_224

• Last Login: July 02, 2020, 09:22:46 PM
« Reply #4473 on: September 27, 2019, 01:15:51 PM »

Well Connecticut has Cockaponset State Forest, so it could be worse. It's near CT Route 9 in the Haddam area (Middlesex County). ;)

https://goo.gl/maps/n9jhBVe4PBa5a2xD7

kphoger

• Last Login: July 04, 2020, 01:43:21 PM
« Reply #4474 on: September 27, 2019, 02:33:54 PM »

I wonder if the residents of Balzac know what the name of their town sounds like.

I'll bet members of competing towns' sports teams do!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.