News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Adjacent State Highway Signing

Started by corco, May 01, 2009, 11:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getemngo

There's an exit for M-217 on the Indiana Toll Road, near South Bend/Elkhart.  blurry Street View pic [Thanks InterstateNG!]

Also, there used to be "TO US 2" signs throughout Canada, effectively making US 2 one continuous highway.

Of course, I have pictures of neither.
~ Sam from Michigan

Hellfighter

cu2010

There are also signs along the St. Lawrence River on both NY37 and NY12 for roads in Canada by the international bridges...there are signs before the turn to the Ogdensburg-Prescott International Bridge for Highways 16 and 416 (and surprisingly not 401), and there are signs at the cloverleaf interchange between NY12 and I-81 for the 401.

There's also a "TO 401" sign along I-81 northbound near Watertown as well.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

InterstateNG

Quote from: getemngo on August 05, 2009, 10:14:00 AM
There's an exit for a Michigan state highway on the Indiana Toll Road, somewhere near South Bend/Elkhart.  I forget which highway and exit.

Also, there used to be "TO US 2" signs throughout Canada, effectively making US 2 one continuous highway.

Of course, I have pictures of neither.

Exit 96, Elkhart Co. Rd. 17/M-217 The Michiana Parkway
I demand an apology.

akotchi

I noticed this on my trip to Hilton Head last week . . . slightly off-topic

The I-95 interchange on the N.C./S.C. border is designated N.C. exit 1, at South of the Border.  While the cross-street carries two U.S. routes, guide signs in both directions are clearly N.C. standard north of the cross-street and clearly S.C. standard south of the cross-street.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

agentsteel53

Minn 95, as interpreted by Wisconsin DOT:

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=MN19800951t300950.jpg

Kentucky 38, by VADOT:

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=KY19700381t300380.jpg

about the last place you'll find 1961-spec Indiana interstate shields is ... Chicago.  Correct state on this one!

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=IN19610651t100650.jpg

a perfectly good Conn turnpike shield in Mt. Vernon NY.  Likely borrowed from ConnDOT.

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=CT19560952t400951.jpg

This gantry is in Nebraska.  The 34 is a Nebraska standard, while the 29 is distinctly Iowa. 

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=IA19610293t100290.jpg

at the bridge from New Jersey to Delaware, here is a Delaware standard cutout with the state name hastily marked over... they didn't even bother to remove the old legend!

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=NJ19550401t200400.jpg

this is a New York made sign that points to US-220, which begins only at the Pennsylvania state line:

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=NY19602201t202201.jpg

somewhat related... a California contractor must've signed Majors Junction in Nevada.

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=NV19620931t200930.jpg

the only known button copy in Virginia is on I-77 northbound... it refers to the very first exit in WV, and was definitely provided by WV.

finally, in Texarkana, northbound is signed by Arkansas and southbound by Texas, so you get two very different shield standards for US highways. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

algorerhythms

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on May 02, 2009, 04:02:51 PM
Maryland has signage for VA 241 on the Beltway just before the Wilson Bridge.
Thinking of Maryland, they recently removed the WV 28 Alternate shields from the BGSes on I-68, because truckers tended to take that exit to get to WV 28, with the result of the truck getting stuck under a railroad overpass.

njroadhorse

On I-80 westbound just before the Delaware Water Gap bridge, there is a PA 611 BGS with the Jersey-style black area surrounding the PA 611 shield.

Similarly, on the Portland PA bridge, just after the toll booth is an overhead mentioning NJ 94 with a shield. 

In Burlington, NJ, PA 413 can be seen on some signs before the Burlington-Bristol Bridge.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Alex

Quote from: njroadhorse on August 07, 2009, 11:31:45 AM

In Burlington, NJ, PA 413 can be seen on some signs before the Burlington-Bristol Bridge.

In a related area, New Jersey 90 is referenced for the Betsy Ross Bridge exit of Interstate 95 in Philadelphia, complete with a black back plate:

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Duke87

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 07, 2009, 04:18:39 PM
On I-95 south in NH approaching the MA state line with a sign refering to a MA exit...

You know, that reminds me. On I-95 South in CT, approaching the NY state line.... there used to be a pair of NYSTA signs in Connecticut for their first exit (can be seen here). A couple years ago, CONNDOT replaced them with their own. Don't have a picture, but they say pretty much the same thing. This is also, to my knowledge, the only place you can find an I-287 shield in Connecticut.
On the other hand, northbound, CONNDOT's sign in New York for their first exit (seen here) is still there.

And don't get me started on the mess NYSDOT and CONNDOT have been having with Exit 30 (or is it 30S? Or 27S?) on the Hutch slash Exit 27 (or is it 27N? Or 30N?) on the Merritt.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 05, 2009, 01:08:27 PM
this is a New York made sign that points to US-220, which begins only at the Pennsylvania state line:

I thought US-220 has always ended in NY @ old NY-17...

http://www.geocities.com/usend4049/Waverly/index.htm

Scott5114

Then of course, there's Oklahoma, which provides absolutely no advance notice on I-44 that an exit is coming up, forcing MoDOT to hastily wedge in an exit sign between the "Welcome to Missouri" sign and the exit.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Michael

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 09, 2009, 01:57:48 AM

I thought so too, but I couldn't find US 220 in the state highway logs.  I only took a quick look though, so I can't guarantee it ends at the state line.

bugo

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 09, 2009, 02:09:00 AM
Then of course, there's Oklahoma, which provides absolutely no advance notice on I-44 that an exit is coming up, forcing MoDOT to hastily wedge in an exit sign between the "Welcome to Missouri" sign and the exit.

I noticed that on my way up here last week.  OTA are cheap bastards.

Bickendan

No one's mentioned the (incorrect) to I-905 shield in Baja California?

agentsteel53

as far as I know, 220 and 309 stopped at the state line.  We've got a classic photo here of the first southbound gantry.

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=PA19483091t202200.jpg

some good description there too
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Mergingtraffic

I-84 EB in NY State has some CT Maintained signs for Exit 1 & 2.

This is for Exit 2 in CT way back in NY.  Looks like a CT maintained sign with the CT style of the non-liner exit tab.

Also Exit 1 for CT is actually in NY State
The tab looks like a CT tab but the sign looks like a NY sign.
Also, the street lights are CT style.  This pic is actually taken in NY

A NY maintained sign for sure.
Photos: NE Roads
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Marc

This sign is on I-77 North within the state of South Carolina, but is in no doubt maintained by North Carolina.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Michael on August 09, 2009, 04:48:02 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 09, 2009, 01:57:48 AM

I thought so too, but I couldn't find US 220 in the state highway logs.  I only took a quick look though, so I can't guarantee it ends at the state line.

Yes it ends at Chemung Street (old 17) 0.1 of a mile to the north of the line.

Adam Moss
Highway Historian
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Duke87

There are a few of these along former NY 124:

According to Wikipedia, NY 124 was cut back from the state line to Pound Ridge by 1970, but I remember it being signed to the state line well into the 90's. A NYSDOT tag on the back of this shield dates it to October 1994.

Anyone have some light to shed on this matter? :confused:

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Does "conn" mean anything other than Conneticut?  If not, it looks like NYSDOT might be signing an out-of-state route with one of their own shields.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

rawmustard

Quote from: deanej on September 20, 2009, 12:03:20 PM
Does "conn" mean anything other than Conneticut?  If not, it looks like NYSDOT might be signing an out-of-state route with one of their own shields.

Usually it's used as an abbreviation for "connector." Seems silly to sign another state's route with its own shield. But then the local authority may have simply added "CONN" signs to the already-existing shields.

Marc

Quote from: HighwayMaster on September 20, 2009, 01:47:56 PM
Uh, Marc, I don't think so...wait. Maybe...Aha! It's both!

Let me explain. Actually that sign is definitely South Carolina signage except for the "James G Martin Frwy" sign. That is North Carolina signage. That does seem weird, but that's the way it is. :banghead:
I think you're right, but the Rest Area sign is also NC, because it has rounded edges. The gantry is also NC, as SC doesn't use that particular style. Although it's hard to tell (without a profile shot), it appears that the signage on that gantry is not tilted up, which would also indicate that NC had some heavy influence on the installation.

WNYroadgeek

CT shield in NY... except it's on the wrong side of the state!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.