Regional Boards > Northeast

Garden State Parkway

(1/298) > >>

Roadrunner75:
With all the construction projects currently going on along the GSP, I think it's time for its own thread.  I get to enjoy the 83-100 widening work every day, and it looks like the end is in sight for at least the contract from 83 to 88, with 3 bridges left to complete. 

Does anyone know the current status of the upgrade of 91 to a full interchange?  The new full interchanges at 88 and 89 are in progress now along with the widening work, but I don't see anything going on at 91 other than the bridge replacement for the widening project.  For awhile Ocean County was really pushing 91 (seemingly over the far more important 88/89 project) and it still appears on the County Engineering website, although I don't think it's been updated in awhile. 

Also, I've been hearing about a southbound exit for 83 in Toms River for years, but haven't seen anything in awhile.  I can't see any good place to put it anyway without causing a major traffic problem.

roadman65:
I see a straight ramp to CR 517 would be a good option.  Even a straight ramp to  US 9 that would T in to it just north of CR 571.   It should be signed for all the routes such as NB US 9, SB NJ 166, and CR 571 with the control point of Pleasant Plains.

J Route Z:
The construction on the Parkway in that area is absolutely crazy. We went on a Saturday for LBI, which is exit 63. From 98 to 63 took almost an hour. The shoulder installation still seems like it may wrap up by next year or so. I can't wait until the Bass River and Mullica River bridges are complete, as well as the new exits. Also further south, they are improving exits 41 and 37.

Roadrunner75:

--- Quote from: roadman65 on July 30, 2014, 10:00:05 PM ---I see a straight ramp to CR 517 would be a good option.  Even a straight ramp to  US 9 that would T in to it just north of CR 571.   It should be signed for all the routes such as NB US 9, SB NJ 166, and CR 571 with the control point of Pleasant Plains.

--- End quote ---
It's pretty tight between the GSP and 9 for an exit ramp to 571.  This stretch is often backed up to the GSP overpass without the help of merging GSP traffic, although they are widening 571 under the bridge to 4 lanes finally.  Route 9 also can back up pretty good north of 571 approaching the light.  I've thought about an exit to Whitty Road a little bit north, but unless they widen Whitty and Route 9 south from there, it'll be a complete disaster.  There has been talk of widening 9 from Toms River to Lakewood over the years, so maybe if that ever happens, the exit might work.  Another more elaborate option that might work a little better is to have the exit cross over the GSP and tie into the new roadway that allows access on and off the GSP northbound (the recently completed Lomell Lane).  However, the wooded area just SE of the 571 overpasses that would be the best alignment for such a ramp is preserved land under the County Natural Lands Trust.

roadman65:
I would say the NJTA needs to help by widening US 9 between just north of CR 571 from 2 to 6 lanes.  That would eliminate the problem with extra traffic being dumped onto US 9.  The right lane SB would default onto the GSP with the center lane being either or for NJ 166 or the SB GSP. The left lane would be, of course, NJ 166 SB.  The 83 ramp going south would become two lanes and 166 would remain two lanes under the GSP overpass and then narrow to the overall two lanes shortly afterwards.  NB would widen to three after the overpass and could do a drastic drop north of the new SB off ramp.

As far as US 9 getting widened south of Lakewood, do not hold your breath.  US 206 from Bedminster to Netcong, NJ 31 from Clinton to Washington, US 9 from Beachwood to Barnegate, NJ 23 from Stockholm to Sussex, and many other roads also need widening, but NJ is too broke to address even these.  Heck look how long it took NJDOT to finally widen US 1 from I-287 to US 9 in Edison/ Woodbridge.  It needed to be done back in the 80's as that Ford Avenue intersection was always a major chokepoint for drivers.  I lived near there from 87 to 90  and dreaded to drive through that particular intersection every day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version