Interstate 99 north of Williamsport

Started by Mountain Parkway, October 31, 2019, 08:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

I was just thinking today (while moving some of my images from US 15 to I-99) that if US 15 ever goes away, what happens to Business US 15?  BL 99?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.


pderocco

Quote from: vdeane on July 26, 2026, 03:23:02 PMI was just thinking today (while moving some of my images from US 15 to I-99) that if US 15 ever goes away, what happens to Business US 15?  BL 99?
Sounds logical. I just drove US-15-BL in Mansfield, and that could just as easily be signed as I-99-BL. But is AASHTO involved in these decisions, and might they hold the two designations to different standards?

cockroachking

Quote from: pderocco on July 26, 2026, 09:08:22 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 26, 2026, 03:23:02 PMI was just thinking today (while moving some of my images from US 15 to I-99) that if US 15 ever goes away, what happens to Business US 15?  BL 99?

Sounds logical. I just drove US-15-BL in Mansfield, and that could just as easily be signed as I-99-BL. But is AASHTO involved in these decisions, and might they hold the two designations to different standards?
I didn't think AASHTO SCOURN had standards anymore...

LeftyJR

Trailblazing signage along the roadway are up along 220 between 80 and Williamsport, though many BGS are not up yet. They are sitting in Salona.

The Ghostbuster

It appears Google Maps has removed the Interstate 99 shield from the US 15 corridor between Interstate 180/US 220 and the New York State Line. They'll probably put it back once Interstate 99 is signposted along US 15.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: pderocco on July 26, 2026, 09:08:22 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 26, 2026, 03:23:02 PMI was just thinking today (while moving some of my images from US 15 to I-99) that if US 15 ever goes away, what happens to Business US 15?  BL 99?

Sounds logical. I just drove US-15-BL in Mansfield, and that could just as easily be signed as I-99-BL. But is AASHTO involved in these decisions, and might they hold the two designations to different standards?

PA 60 BUS was similarly redesignated to I-376 BL alongside the I-376 extension, so seems likely PennDOT would also make the change here based on that precedent.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Mr_Northside

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 28, 2026, 02:49:10 PM
Quote from: pderocco on July 26, 2026, 09:08:22 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 26, 2026, 03:23:02 PMI was just thinking today (while moving some of my images from US 15 to I-99) that if US 15 ever goes away, what happens to Business US 15?  BL 99?

Sounds logical. I just drove US-15-BL in Mansfield, and that could just as easily be signed as I-99-BL. But is AASHTO involved in these decisions, and might they hold the two designations to different standards?

PA 60 BUS was similarly redesignated to I-376 BL alongside the I-376 extension, so seems likely PennDOT would also make the change here based on that precedent.

Wouldn't rule that out.  I could also see them just extending PA-660, or even just de-numbering it.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=markkos1992
Mob-Rule:  https://mob-rule.com/user/markkos1992

The Ghostbuster

Now if they could just get US 220 upgraded between Interstate 80 and Interstate 180.

TheHighwayMan3561

I know it's not ideal routing-wise, but why not just replace I-180 at this point with the rest of 99 and be done?
Let me take you down, cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields

The Ghostbuster

While replacing Interstate 180 with Interstate 99 might seem logical, that would make 99 a very indirect Interstate. It would also necessitate a 51-mile duplex with Interstate 80, compared to a 17-mile duplex routing it more directly to follow US 220 to Williamsport. Plus, some of 220s exits are numbered via Interstate 99's mileage, so obviously the 220 alignment will be followed, someday.

Rothman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 30, 2026, 09:30:46 PMWhile replacing Interstate 180 with Interstate 99 might seem logical

I question the logic of anyone who thinks that is logical.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

.
Quote from: TheHighwayMan3561 on July 30, 2026, 09:06:57 PMI know it's not ideal routing-wise, but why not just replace I-180 at this point with the rest of 99 and be done?
We now have Interstate highway connectivity between I-80 and I-86, even though there are two separate numbers. That is a major achievement and something to celebrate.
Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Mr. Matté

^ TIL 90 & 81 are chopped liver

pderocco

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 30, 2026, 09:30:46 PMWhile replacing Interstate 180 with Interstate 99 might seem logical, that would make 99 a very indirect Interstate. It would also necessitate a 51-mile duplex with Interstate 80, compared to a 17-mile duplex routing it more directly to follow US 220 to Williamsport. Plus, some of 220s exits are numbered via Interstate 99's mileage, so obviously the 220 alignment will be followed, someday.
The main point is that people would continue to use US-220, even with the short expressway segment.

The Ghostbuster

Apple Maps now shows the US 15 freeway as also being Interstate 99 north of Williamsport. I'm not sure how long the app has posted it as such.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=markkos1992
Mob-Rule:  https://mob-rule.com/user/markkos1992

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?units=miles&u=markkos1992
Mob-Rule:  https://mob-rule.com/user/markkos1992