AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Tropical cyclone tracking thread  (Read 55673 times)

allniter89

• siss boom baa... rotflmao!

• Last Login: December 11, 2019, 09:38:28 PM
Re: Tropical cyclone tracking thread
« Reply #600 on: September 15, 2019, 12:24:27 AM »

Very close to 100 this week :banghead:

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 05:17:53 PM
« Reply #601 on: September 17, 2019, 04:44:06 PM »

Within a span of about an hour and a half, a new tropical depression formed, strengthened into Tropical Storm Imelda, and made landfall on Texas. It's looking like Houston and the rest of southeast Texas could get a hell of a lot of rain from this - probably not to Harvey or Allison levels, but a lot of flash flooding is expected in that area.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 05:14:03 PM by US 89 »
Interstate clinches: 14 82 86ID 215UT 225 345 444 575 985
US clinches: 91 491 550

Flickr
Imgur

route56

• Last Login: Today at 11:29:59 AM
    • route56.com
« Reply #602 on: September 23, 2019, 02:42:48 PM »

Well, within the last week, we've had three more storms spin up.  Jerry looks to be spreading a second round of wind and rain to Bermuda, Karen is out in the Caribbean, and Lorenzo is out by the Cape Verde region.

Meanwhile, in the Pacific, the forecaster gave us a couple of interesting advisory headlines:

..KIKO RESTRENGTHENS AS IT INCHES CLOSER TO THE END OF THE EASTERN PACIFIC BASIN...

...GAME OVER... ...MARIO BECOMES A REMNANT LOW...

Mario's quest as a tropical cyclone is over. The low has produced only a few small areas of intermittent convection during the last day or so, but with insufficient organization to be classified as a tropical cyclone. Therefore, Mario is now a remnant low and this is the last advisory.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 02:30:22 PM
« Reply #603 on: September 24, 2019, 03:33:12 AM »

The Atlantic has had five new tropical storms in just 10 days! Now that is crazy, or the season's peak.

Kiko is nowhere near the end of the Eastern Pacific, which I consider to include the so-called Central Pacific (much like Wikipedia does) and thus extends all the way to the 180 Meridian (which is also where hurricanes cease to be such and instead be referred to as typhoons). The -140 Meridian is just the NHC/CPHC boundary.
"Football", a quite ambiguous word for me. I assume "association" football instead of "American" football.

All times Eastern unless DST is in force only in the USA (Central in that case to preserve "6 hours behind my actual time") or otherwise noted

route56

• Last Login: Today at 11:29:59 AM
    • route56.com
« Reply #604 on: September 24, 2019, 10:50:29 AM »

The Atlantic has had five new tropical storms in just 10 days! Now that is crazy, or the season's peak.

AIUI, September 10 is usually the Atlantic hurricane season's "peak."

As for Kiko and how to treat the Pacific between 140W and 180... remember, a storm that strengthens to a Storm here receives its name from a separate list than either the East or West Pacific basins. Obviously, in yesterday's headline, the forecaster was referring to the dividing line between RSMC Miami and RSMC Honolulu.

Today's Forecaster had this to say about Kiko:

Still, Kiko has been one for the record books and should enter the top 10 in longest-lived eastern Pacific tropical cyclones by midday Tuesday.

Also, It appears that Lorenzo is forecast to become a major hurricane, but will be a "true" fish spinner, passing to the east of Bermuda.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:58:36 AM by route56 »
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 05:17:53 PM
« Reply #605 on: September 29, 2019, 01:49:32 AM »

I stopped following Lorenzo after its 145 mph peak on Friday morning. Imagine my surprise when I checked the NHC this evening and saw it had restrengthened back to a 160 mph category 5.

Assuming the rating holds up in post-season analysis, this storm is breaking a bunch of records. It is by far the easternmost category 5 on record at 45W (previous record was Hugo at 54W), and also had the lowest pressure in an Atlantic hurricane east of 50W. It also makes 2019 only the seventh season on record to feature two category 5 Atlantic hurricanes.

The Atlantic has never seen a fish-spinning Category 5. Depending on how close it comes to the Azores, Lorenzo could well be the first. Unfortunately, it won't be a true fishspinner because a French barge sank in the storm; 3 people have been rescued but 11 are still missing.
Interstate clinches: 14 82 86ID 215UT 225 345 444 575 985
US clinches: 91 491 550

Flickr
Imgur

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

« Reply #606 on: September 29, 2019, 04:35:20 AM »

Lorenzo will join the 2005 iteration of Emily in the very short list of storms that reached category 5 and yet managed to survive in the naming list. Even further, Lorenzo will be the first such storm to have been operationally recognized as cat. 5, as Emily was only upgraded in the post-season reanalysis. I already theorized such a scenario where a category 5 monster doesn't get retired, and now I get to see it.
"Football", a quite ambiguous word for me. I assume "association" football instead of "American" football.

All times Eastern unless DST is in force only in the USA (Central in that case to preserve "6 hours behind my actual time") or otherwise noted

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

« Reply #607 on: December 01, 2019, 05:13:12 AM »

Okay, the Atlantic hurricane season has come to an end. A weird one, where my list of storms starts with Barry (skipping Andrea) and ends with Pablo and Sebastien (skipping Rebekah, thus Sebastien should have been Pablo). Chantal will remain in the list again thanks to a subtropical storm (which IMO shouldn't be named), it was spared from retirement in 2007 along with Erin and Melissa, and looks like Dorian will be struck down.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 04:45:45 PM
« Reply #608 on: December 01, 2019, 09:11:04 AM »

Okay, the Atlantic hurricane season has come to an end.

Good riddance!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com
On the Plains of Hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to rest, and resting died.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 12:14:43 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #609 on: December 01, 2019, 12:20:10 PM »

Okay, the Atlantic hurricane season has come to an end. A weird one, where my list of storms starts with Barry (skipping Andrea) and ends with Pablo and Sebastien (skipping Rebekah, thus Sebastien should have been Pablo). Chantal will remain in the list again thanks to a subtropical storm (which IMO shouldn't be named), it was spared from retirement in 2007 along with Erin and Melissa, and looks like Dorian will be struck down.

It will be a gray day if Dorian is struck down ;)
a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest -- Simon & Garfunkel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.