News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Snow...

Started by BigMattFromTexas, December 04, 2009, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

W egot out last year for like 2" of snow.. It's already like 29° out. (to cold to be on a bus from a basketball game). If only it would be a wet freeze... Dang..
BigMatt

cu2010

A snow day for 2" of snow? When I was in school, 2' wasn't even enough half the time for a snow day!

We've got up to 6" in the forecast here tonight, but that doesn't really affect me any...especially considering the farthest I will be going is fifty feet from my desk to the kitchen. :D
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Ian

Wow we actually got a snow day today! Woo!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

froggie

At one point, they were expecting 2-4 inches in DC.  We got maybe ONE inch.

RJ145

They're predicting anywhere from 6-17" here today.

mightyace

There were just a few flakes out and about this morning.  Then, there was the small amount of snow in the air as well.

<rimshot> <ducks>!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

MDOTFanFB

Grzrd

Quote from: Chris on February 10, 2009, 12:48:41 PM
Here's the whole list:

You can read more about it on my blog:
http://dutchroadgeek.blogspot.com/2009/02/freeway-lane-mileagepopulation-ratio.html

(I dusted off above quote from "Freeway lane miles per capita ratios" thread on General Highway Talk)

Quote from: Bryant5493 on January 10, 2011, 01:24:30 PM
Several Interstates are closed in Georgia: I-20 in Conyers; I-85 in Union City; and I-20 between Fulton Industrial Blvd. and I-285 (West Atlanta).

Here in Atlanta, I just received notification that my children will enjoy their FOURTH consecutive snow day tomorrow.  Snow hit Sunday night, but temperatures have hovered around freezing and dropped into teens/twenties at night.  This morning, many residential streets still had icy patches; I saw several cars that had spun out on my way to work.  But more to the point of the above quotes, GDOT was still having trouble with clearing icy patches on the metro interstates this morning.  One reason offered by a GDOT spokesman on TV this morning: storm was a "once in 10 or 15 years" event and it would be cost-prohibitive (in terms of opportunity cost for other uses of $$$) to have enough materials to clear all of the interstate lane miles in the area (above chart suggests ATL has sixth highest total in country).  I guess it is sort of "wait for warmer temps" approach (32 is predicted high for both today and tomorrow - 40 on Friday and 48 on Saturday).

The amount of freezing rain the area received after the snowfall was far less than anticipated; minimal power outages.  Made life a lot easier than it could have been.

yanksfan6129

We received about 8 inches from this latest storm at my house. But the roads are totally fine...they did a good job salting and plowing. I was just wandering around the area for the past few hours in my car and even the most minor side streets are fine. Yet, we still got out of school--but I'm not complaining.

corco

I received word from my parents today that with the most recent storm our fence in Idaho is now fully covered in snow- 5 feet of accumulation. Here's a shot I took while I was back there last week- the top bar is at 5 feet.

This is a lot of snow even for there at this time of year- in February the accumulation gets this high once every couple years, but none of us remember the last time we had this much in January.  It's a bit of a concern if it keeps up, because we're running low on snow storage space (ie we may not have a driveway soon) and the roof is going to have to be shoveled if there's another big snowstorm without any melt, which is a huge hassle.

njroadhorse

There was a measly average of 5 inches on the ground across Northern New Jersey, and Passaic County STILL doesn't know how to plow roads!
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

NJRoadfan

iwishiwascanadian

I got about 24 inches of snow in 24 hours with this storm...I have a double snow day too which is nice.  It was kinda cool to see the Weather Channel talk about Hartford. 

BigMattFromTexas

33 outside now, supposed to get down to 23°  tonight.. I made the stupid  decision to wear shorts (I always  wear shorts..) and a polo in 20° weather, yesterday.. BAD choice... I'm from Texas, 20° is cold to me....

Also, here our school made us go to school for  that 2" day, it was later in the winter that we had a 3-4" snowfall that we got out.. We go to school in the snow, and  save the snow days till  around spring, when the weather starts getting warmer (the good weather).
BigMatt

Scott5114

No snow here yet. We got a few flurries, but at the time the ground was much too warm for it to stick. Now, we've had a week or so of bitter cold temperatures, but no precip!

I went to Walmart at around 5 in the morning last night and this is what my car thermometer showed. NWS Norman forecasts a low of 10 tonight.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bryant5493

This vid shows some ice that I encountered while driving today.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 12, 2011, 11:44:50 PM

Let me guess, you have HD radio built into your car? ;)

Duke87

On the "photograph your car's thermometer" front...

This morning.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

froggie

Didn't photograph it, but had -17F Monday morning.

The Premier

Quote from: froggie on January 19, 2011, 07:14:17 AM
Didn't photograph it, but had -17F Monday morning.

Tell me that was just a typo? :wow:
Alex P. Dent

froggie

Nope.

My car might've been a little off, though.  The "official" low at the airport was only -7F.

agentsteel53

-17 doesn't seem all that unusual for Vermont.

coldest I ever had when I lived in Boston was -28, wind chill -56.  This was inland by quite a bit; somewhere around Gardner or so.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Our local TV weatherguy reminded us in Central Ohio that we reached between -28 to -40 for lows on this day back in 1994.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Adam Smith on January 19, 2011, 11:52:56 PM
Our local TV weatherguy reminded us in Central Ohio that we reached between -28 to -40 for lows on this day back in 1994.

Our weatherguy did the same here in Pittsburgh. -22F in 1994 here.  Coldest EVER recorded temperature here.

Stephane Dumas

Speaking of Pittsburgh, I spotted this video of icy road

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.