News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Snow...

Started by BigMattFromTexas, December 04, 2009, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

algorerhythms

Looks like we're going to get another snowstorm here in Oklahoma starting tomorrow night.

mightyace

There are some warnings for this area.  Mainly northern Tennessee and into Kentucky.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

golden eagle

We may get snow in central MS this week. I hope it is and not more ice/freezing rain.

jdb1234

Looks like more snow in Birmingham this evening.  We are expecting 1-3 inches where I am.

Revive 755

I can't wait for the white crud to melt; I am getting sick of dealing with the large piles that take up half a lane, much less those that require using a lane for a movement other than what it's marked for (as in using the left turn lane as a straight lane because a large pile/wall of snow is taking up the normal straight lane).

golden eagle

We got some snow today! It started around 3:30 and then for a couple of hours, changed to a mix and then around seven, back to all snow. We may've gotten an inch. Heavier amounts just to our north, though.

mightyace

Up and around Nashville, we got 1-3 inches last night.  It started in mid afternoon and went into early evening.

Some roads were still snow covered this morning, but the sun's melting some of it even though it's only 22 degrees.

Fortunately, for me, this was the light fluffy stuff that was easy to brush off my van as I had forgotten to put a snow brush in there.

J N Winkler

We have had eight inches in Wichita this time.  The snow started falling early Tuesday morning and had stopped by Wednesday noon.  As was the case previously, there was no ice accumulation before the snow arrived, and this time there was not much wind while the snow was falling, so we have had much less of a problem with drifts.  Temperatures are still below freezing but we have had more or less unblocked sunshine since Wednesday morning, so any paved surface that is not actually covered by snow or sloshed with slush is now dry.

Wichita public schools had another snow day on Wednesday, bringing the total for this season to six, and overrunning the five snow days allowed for in the calendar.  School superintendents all over Kansas are tearing out their hair because the excess snow days make it hard for them to comply with the requirement (in state law) to have school in session a minimum 180 days annually.  For some reason, not satisfactorily explained in the local media, it is now unthinkable to have makeup days in late spring.

Snow blowers are now popular in Wichita, but I am sticking with a hand shovel.  Snow blowers never seem to be able to dislodge snow packed into tire tracks.  I suspect they produce enough heat to thaw nearby virgin snow into slabs and chunks since that is what I have to shift whenever I start shoveling close to an area which has been cleared by a blower.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 10, 2011, 04:14:41 PMthe excess snow days make it hard for them to comply with the requirement (in state law) to have school in session a minimum 180 days annually.  For some reason, not satisfactorily explained in the local media, it is now unthinkable to have makeup days in late spring.

when is "late spring"?  Does your school system let out before June 21st, thereby implying days to be appended to the end of the year? 

When I was in school, it let out around the 25th of June, so end-of-year would be early summer for me.  the only alternative I could think of would be to cut into the April vacation, which is "early spring", but I'd imagine parents who already had vacations booked would be mildly displeased by that alternative.

letting the damn calendar year run into the summer is about the only solution.  One year, our last day was July 1st, but hey, to make up for that, we did get seven consecutive Wednesdays off due to snow.  Eerie, but when our break in the middle of the workweek came to an end, we sure didn't like it.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

When I was in school (longer ago now than I care to think), it always let out a little after Memorial Day, and the understanding was that any snow days in excess of those budgeted would have to be made up at the end of the school year, generally in early June.  In Wichita school is generally in session (except for breaks) from late August to early June.  The school district right now is talking about "funding" the excess snow days by fiddling with the calendar at the school level, e.g. by cancelling scheduled inservice days, and that sounds a whole lot more complicated than just keeping kids in school however long it takes.  I can't believe there are that many families who start $10,000 nonrefundable vacations the very next day after school ends.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

yeah, we started as late as September 9th, and had three week-long vacations (Christmas, February, and April) and also a smattering of Jewish holidays, which were mostly in the fall (Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur) so our school year lasted a while. 

I think the timing of the summer was a climate thing - by offsetting it about a half-month to a month compared to other places, we took advantage of when Boston's climate was indeed the most summery.

"inservice days"?  We had something called "workshop days" but they were half-days, not entire days off.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

wriddle082

Quote from: mightyace on February 10, 2011, 12:47:48 PM
Up and around Nashville, we got 1-3 inches last night.  It started in mid afternoon and went into early evening.

Some roads were still snow covered this morning, but the sun's melting some of it even though it's only 22 degrees.

Fortunately, for me, this was the light fluffy stuff that was easy to brush off my van as I had forgotten to put a snow brush in there.

If I'm counting correctly, this would be the 6th snow event for the Nashville area since the start of December, right?  I honestly don't remember Nashville ever having that many snow events in one winter (fall/winter in this case) as long as I've been alive.

Columbia, SC has had two snow events so far this winter, which is the most in one season since my in-laws first moved down here (in 2003), and last winter they had their first snow event since they moved here.  This latest system only brought us rain last night (and it was sunny and beautiful the rest of today), but WIS-TV says that Newberry Co (NW of Columbia) got wet snowflakes that melted on contact, so I'm assuming Greenville/Spartanburg could have gotten some accumulation.

Duke87

The schools here in Stamford have taken to scheduling school years of 185 days from the getgo so they can have five snow days without having to make any of them up. Of course, that number has already been exceeded this year (I believe there have been seven), so now the board is scrambling to figure out how to do makeups. Their method of choice has been to poll the parents by phone on whether to shorten the February break, shorten the April break, or add days at the end. Not sure if they've reached a decision yet...

This is a recent idea, though, and wasn't practice when I was in school. Then they always just added as many days as necessary to the end of the year, with the provision that they couldn't go into July and would start cannibalizing the April break if they filled June up (which almost happened one year but never actually did, at least not in my time).
The thing is, the high schools wouldn't reschedule their final exams, so we'd end up with extra days at the end of the year after finals... for which nobody would show up and no teacher would count an absence against you. Sweet deal.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Henry

Looks like the South keeps getting pummeled by the blizzards... :(

Except Florida, that is! :)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alex

Quote from: Henry on February 11, 2011, 11:41:38 AM

No it is just cold and boring here...  :-/

florida

Quote from: AARoads on February 11, 2011, 05:00:43 PM
Quote from: Henry on February 11, 2011, 11:41:38 AM

No it is just cold and boring here...  :-/

Yeah, no repeat of '77 or '89 this year.
So many roads...so little time.

mightyace

I heard a first real sign of spring this afternoon.  (sorry Punxsutawney Phil!)

It was the sound of geese, presumably headed north!

rickmastfan67

Quote from: mightyace on February 15, 2011, 08:37:37 PM

My mom saw a flock of Robins this afternoon here in Pittsburgh.

Scott5114

Heard some geese here too! It's been in the 70's for the past week, so just about everything's melted at this point...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

algorerhythms

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 16, 2011, 06:06:15 AM

Heard some geese here too! It's been in the 70's for the past week, so just about everything's melted at this point...
There are a few icebergs left over in the university parking lots, but that's it.

We had a Brazilian guy arrive at the lab on Saturday. He's disappointed that so far the weather's been just like winter weather back home.

BigMattFromTexas

It was 84° yesterday.. Running in that after a week of not getting above freezing, is hard...
At least for two-a-days, I have all summer for 100s.. Can't wait till 100° time!

PAHighways

mightyace

I talked to my dad Monday night and Bloomsburg had gotten 7 inches.

BigMattFromTexas

86° in February.. Someone said something about how out doesn't get up to the 80s in desert cities like phoenix, well it's almost 90° here!

mightyace

Still snowing up in Bloomsburg. I talked to my dad Tuesday night and they had just gotten 4 inches of snow over a layer of ice.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.