AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: License Plate News  (Read 353019 times)

kalvado

• Last Login: November 16, 2019, 11:48:31 PM
Re: License Plate News
« Reply #1200 on: September 30, 2019, 07:33:04 PM »

I don't think it's unreasonable to think we could come up with a plate design that could last an 50 or 60 years. Embossing might be a consideration, as would be avoiding the use of highly-stylised designs with colors that could wear at various paces.
Paint and/or plastic do not hold well that long, especially under dust bombardment at highway speed. I can envision some stainless/chrome designs, but the price would be non-negligible. An option to have plates preserved (illegal in NY) would be to have disposable plastic covers on the plate, polycarbonate or such. Defeats the purpose of forever plate, though.
And like many other things, cost-effective solutions wouldn't be the ones with the longest lifetime.

mgk920

• Last Login: November 16, 2019, 11:46:02 PM
« Reply #1201 on: September 30, 2019, 09:27:55 PM »

Correct, they stay with the owner in Wisconsin.

And are you required to use them on the next car?

No.

'Have plates in good condition?' is a question on the form.  If yes, then WisDOT will let you use an older number and set of current design plates that you might have, saving the state the bother of having to stamp out a set of new ones.

Mike

SP Cook

• Last Login: November 16, 2019, 11:31:22 AM
« Reply #1202 on: October 01, 2019, 09:12:37 AM »

So what's the default option in your state when you buy a new car?

In WV, and I think this is the most common system nationwide, the dealer puts the old plate on the new car and charges a small fee.  There is no other option.  Most new car dealers now can even print the accompanying registration card and save the DMV the postage.   Temporary plates are only used if the buyer has no valid plate to put on the car, such as a family adding a second car. 

If you want a new plate you ask for one from the DMV at renewal time, when it is free.  Car dealers have no role in the matter. 

PHLBOS

• Last Login: November 15, 2019, 03:55:01 PM
« Reply #1203 on: October 01, 2019, 10:33:05 AM »

In WV, and I think this is the most common system nationwide, the dealer puts the old plate on the new car and charges a small fee.  There is no other option.  Most new car dealers now can even print the accompanying registration card and save the DMV the postage.   Temporary plates are only used if the buyer has no valid plate to put on the car, such as a family adding a second car. 

If you want a new plate you ask for one from the DMV at renewal time, when it is free.  Car dealers have no role in the matter.
I've purchased cars from dealerships in MA, NJ, PA & MD and have experienced the following.

In MA, one can do what is known as a 2-day temporary transfer of an existing/current/active plate onto the new/additional vehicle.  No RMV involvement is needed at the point of sale but the plate being used needs to be currently active.  Such allows the vehicle to be legally driven by the owner to their residence.  After such happens, the owner has to go to the RMV with the vehicle purchase paperwork, proof of insurance and either apply for a new registration/plate or apply to transfer the existing registration/plate from the prior vehicle to the newly-purchased one. 

Note: for one of my vehicle purchases in MA that was to be registered in PA, an active MA plate (my brother's) per the 2-day temporary transfer, was used to bring the car home.  Once in PA, I went to authorized tag place to transfer my existing active PA plate (the previous car was traded in) onto my newly-purchased car.  I mailed the MA plate used to bring the car home back to my brother.

For my vehicle purchases in both NJ & MD, such involved the vehicles being ultimately registered in PA.  A temporary, cardboard tag was issued, good for 20-25 days depending on which state, until I received a new PA plate from the dealerships in the mail.  In those two cases, both dealerships in NJ & MD corresponded w/PennDOT's DMV division in order to obtain and mail me the new PA plates. 

In one of the two-above cases, I originally had planned to transfer my old/existing but still active plate onto the new vehicle (the prior vehicle was totaled in an accident); but the clerk at the dealership (in MD) indirectly discouraged such (I guess due to additional paperwork, I don't know).  So I received a new PA plate/registration in the mail and that was that.

Long story short: car dealers having a role or no role regarding vehicle registrations via DMV/RMV is dependent upon which state(s) one's dealing with.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kalvado

• Last Login: November 16, 2019, 11:48:31 PM
« Reply #1204 on: October 01, 2019, 11:20:01 AM »

Long story short: car dealers having a role or no role regarding vehicle registrations via DMV/RMV is dependent upon which state(s) one's dealing with.
NY: for in-state purchases, at least at larger dealerships, by default they ask you to provide an active registration information along with insurance documents and unbolt old plates from trade-in (or you can bring in old plates in case of private sale of old car)  at the time of delivery. There is a financial incentive for doing that as refund for old registration is pretty limited.
Dealer issuing new plates on behalf of DMV is an option, mostly when there is no old registration. 
You get a temporary sticker for either option, permanent one is mailed by DMV to registration address.

Eth

• Last Login: November 16, 2019, 10:31:44 AM
« Reply #1205 on: October 01, 2019, 11:43:14 AM »

I don't think I really have a particularly helpful response here. My only car purchase occurred in MD; transferring the plate from the old car wouldn't have been an option regardless, because it was a GA plate (I had just moved about 5 months earlier). I didn't receive a temporary tag either; the dealer actually had a proper MD plate that was put on the car immediately and remained there until I moved back to GA.

DaBigE

• Following the LEGO® brick road

• Last Login: November 16, 2019, 03:52:36 PM
« Reply #1206 on: October 01, 2019, 11:54:33 AM »

The default in every vehicle purchase I've been involved with was for the seller to ask if I had plates to transfer or if I wanted new plates, even if I didn't bring a vehicle to trade. No one has ever tried to force me to take new plates.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kphoger

• Last Login: November 15, 2019, 04:55:30 PM
« Reply #1207 on: October 01, 2019, 02:46:41 PM »

I've had the same license plate since 2012.  It's now on vehicle #3.  In 2016, in fact, we drove from Kansas to Tennessee to buy a used Pathfinder.  When we got to the dealership, we took the Kansas plate off the old car, tossed it in our folder with the dealership paperwork, drove back to Kansas on a Tennessee temporary tag, and then later transferred the Kansas plate onto the new car after paying the tax and registration fee.  We got the amount of time left (unused) on the previous vehicle's registration refunded to us as well.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

PHLBOS

« Reply #1208 on: October 01, 2019, 06:19:01 PM »

In PA, the oldest license plates on vehicles date back to 2000... the first year of the original-style blue/white/yellow plates.   
GPS does NOT equal GOD

route56

• Last Login: November 15, 2019, 11:08:46 AM
    • route56.com
« Reply #1209 on: October 07, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »

I've had the same license plate since 2012.  It's now on vehicle #3.  In 2016, in fact, we drove from Kansas to Tennessee to buy a used Pathfinder.  When we got to the dealership, we took the Kansas plate off the old car, tossed it in our folder with the dealership paperwork, drove back to Kansas on a Tennessee temporary tag, and then later transferred the Kansas plate onto the new car after paying the tax and registration fee.  We got the amount of time left (unused) on the previous vehicle's registration refunded to us as well.

My current Kansas tag is on vehicle #3 as well.

In Kansas, vehicle registration cannot be processed at the dealership - you will have a "60 day" tag affixed to your vehicle. Depending on the dealer (or if the previous owner had a lien on the vehicle) it may take a bit for the title paperwork to be received. Obviously, you can't transfer plates or get new ones until you get the paperwork. Also, if it's a used car from out-of-state, it will likely need a VIN inspection.

As kphoger noted, if the plate is transferred, you do receive pro rata credit for Property taxes and registration on the previous vehicle. Likewise, taxes and registration on the new vehicle will also be pro rated. When I bought me previous car (2013 Sentra) in April 2016, I was given the option to go ahead and re-up to July 2017 - in effect, I paid 15 months taxes on the Sentra the first time around. The Sentra was totaled in June 2019 in a car-deer collision, and when it came time to transfer the plates to the new car (2019 Impreza) I was already due for renewal, so there was no pro rata involved - I basically paid a years taxes on the Impreza (from July 2019 to July 2020).
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

SidS1045

• Last Login: November 09, 2019, 09:37:22 PM
« Reply #1210 on: October 09, 2019, 12:22:16 PM »

In MA, one can do what is known as a 2-day temporary transfer of an existing/current/active plate onto the new/additional vehicle.  No RMV involvement is needed at the point of sale but the plate being used needs to be currently active.  Such allows the vehicle to be legally driven by the owner to their residence.  After such happens, the owner has to go to the RMV with the vehicle purchase paperwork, proof of insurance and either apply for a new registration/plate or apply to transfer the existing registration/plate from the prior vehicle to the newly-purchased one.

For the last two vehicle purchases I made in MA (2004 and 2011), the dealers handled everything, including printing the new registration and calling my insurance agent.  No run to the RMV was necessary.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

PHLBOS

« Reply #1211 on: October 10, 2019, 12:57:51 PM »

For the last two vehicle purchases I made in MA (2004 and 2011), the dealers handled everything, including printing the new registration and calling my insurance agent.  No run to the RMV was necessary.
Such wasn't always the case; at least from 1990(?) and earlier.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: November 16, 2019, 08:04:15 PM
« Reply #1212 on: October 10, 2019, 01:36:40 PM »

Well... To begin with, in NY plates follow the owner, not the car. Given there are some 90+-year-old drivers making the news -  if not for a mandatory replacement, some 70-75-year-old plates would happen. Moreover, such ancient plates would become a symbol of status - as it happened in MA - and people would go to great lengths to keep those.

Sorry, I didn't realize NYS had such strange licence plate rules. Doesn't make my point moot everywhere else.

In other jurisdictions, plates stay with the car forever, until it is sold, or until the plate is too old. Custom or "antique" plates can be traded amongst owners, but not regular plates. At least not in most states that I've seen.

Pretty sure they stay with the owner in Wisconsin as well.

Also Michigan.

Likewise in Illinois.  When you buy a new car, trading in your old car, the default is to simply transfer the plates to the new vehicle.  Mine date from 2001, and this is the third vehicle they have been on.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

Free HK.  F the PRC.

Pink Jazz

• Real Men Wear Pink

• Last Login: November 15, 2019, 07:49:45 PM
« Reply #1213 on: October 10, 2019, 03:20:53 PM »

The Arizona Cxxyyyy series plates are going fast. I think Arizona is due for a redesign and the Dxxyyyy series would be a good place to start.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 02:43:36 AM
« Reply #1214 on: October 11, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »

The Arizona Cxxyyyy series plates are going fast. I think Arizona is due for a redesign and the Dxxyyyy series would be a good place to start.

Did AZ's seven-digit plates start with AAA0000? WA is on track to hit CAA0000 within the next few years. Started with A, now on B, etc.

kphoger

• Last Login: November 15, 2019, 04:55:30 PM
« Reply #1215 on: October 15, 2019, 01:51:43 PM »

Did AZ's seven-digit plates start with AAA0000?

Yes.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

Couleurs

• Last Login: Today at 12:47:33 AM
« Reply #1216 on: November 10, 2019, 06:54:04 PM »

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/28/colorado-license-plates-green-mountains-white-sky/

There’s a chance Colorado might switch back to green mountains with a white sky in 2021

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.