AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: License Plate News  (Read 375686 times)

PHLBOS

• Last Login: June 29, 2020, 12:48:20 PM
Re: License Plate News
« Reply #1300 on: March 09, 2020, 10:15:19 AM »

PA has a windshield sticker for the inspection for all counties.  Some counties (urban/suburban) require an emission inspection which is a second windshield sticker.
It is worth noting that vehicles older than 1975 are not required to undergo emissions testing nor receive a sticker for such in PA counties that do/require emissions testing.  Exemptions from emissions testing for newer vehicles (example: vehicles w/less than 5000 miles/year) will typically receive an emissions sticker with EXEMPTION placed on it.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

rlb2024

• Last Login: July 09, 2020, 10:43:16 PM
« Reply #1301 on: March 09, 2020, 01:26:33 PM »

Honestly, I don't understand states that tie vehicle things to stuff like last names and birthdays.  That sounds like a good way to get screwed over if you need to buy a vehicle right before your designated renewal time or get rid of one shortly thereafter.  Having the plate/registration/whatever term start when you get the vehicle seems much more sensible.
When I was growing up in Tennessee they went from all plates expiring at the same time to a phased system based on the first letter of your last name.  It was a convenient way to initially spread out the renewals throughout the year.  I haven't lived in Tennessee in 40 years so I don't know if they still use a similar system.

frankenroad

• Last Login: July 08, 2020, 12:40:51 PM
« Reply #1302 on: March 10, 2020, 10:41:02 AM »

Honestly, I don't understand states that tie vehicle things to stuff like last names and birthdays.  That sounds like a good way to get screwed over if you need to buy a vehicle right before your designated renewal time or get rid of one shortly thereafter.  Having the plate/registration/whatever term start when you get the vehicle seems much more sensible.

It's a good way to make sure you remember to do it, though. Harder to say "Oh, I forgot" if literally every car you've owned in the state has its tag expire in August. Considering the state's interest is in compliance and not on avoiding screwing people over...

That's as may be, but Valeria makes a point. Does the state offer credits to drivers on "remaining time" for the current registration? Or do they have to start all over?

When I lived in New Hampshire, your initial registration was pro-rated down to the month.  In Ohio, you get half price if it's 6 months or less to your next renewal.   However, in both cases, if you leave the state or sell the car before the registration expires, no refund is issued.  Not a big deal in Ohio as annual fees (base plate) is only $31.  Some counties add a fee, but I think that is capped at $15 or $20/year.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

7/8

• Civil EIT - Neighbourhood Recon. Site Inspector

• Last Login: July 09, 2020, 10:00:41 PM
« Reply #1303 on: March 11, 2020, 09:30:37 PM »

And just as fast as they came, the blue Ontario plates are gone: https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/ontario-government-admits-mistake-returns-to-a-white-licence-plate-design

The new new plates will be pretty much the same as the old design but flat (akin to recent redesigns in Kansas and New Jersey) and maintain the "A place to grow" slogan from the blue plates. Is this the shortest lived license plate design in history??? Didn't even make it through February...

Back to the "liberal" plates, eh? :-D. It still shocks me that the illegibility slipped through.

I'm disappointed that they're sticking to flat plates, but at least the return to blue-on-white will look better.

http://www.mob-rule.com/user/dscurtis
http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=7_8

- Bring back the pre-Mike Harris King's Highway System!

andrepoiy

• Last Login: July 08, 2020, 06:43:19 PM
« Reply #1304 on: March 17, 2020, 07:12:25 PM »

And just as fast as they came, the blue Ontario plates are gone: https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/ontario-government-admits-mistake-returns-to-a-white-licence-plate-design

The new new plates will be pretty much the same as the old design but flat (akin to recent redesigns in Kansas and New Jersey) and maintain the "A place to grow" slogan from the blue plates. Is this the shortest lived license plate design in history??? Didn't even make it through February...

Back to the "liberal" plates, eh? :-D. It still shocks me that the illegibility slipped through.

I'm disappointed that they're sticking to flat plates, but at least the return to blue-on-white will look better.

Those blue plates will be highly sought after... Due to their low numbers. I wish I could get one... before they appreciate in value.

interstate73

• Last Login: July 09, 2020, 04:47:16 PM
« Reply #1305 on: May 06, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »

After all the fuss that had mostly been forgotten about due to some other ruckus that took people's attention, the Government of Ontario is abandoning the license plate redesign and returning to the old embossed blue-on-white "Liberal" plates without any changes: https://globalnews.ca/news/6911676/ontario-licence-plate-redesign-2/
North Jersey born and raised, in Upstate NY for college studying city planning

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 11:24:46 AM
« Reply #1306 on: May 07, 2020, 11:40:08 AM »

What is a Kentucky 10,000? Saw a KY plate with that number on it at the bottom.

I believe that means that the vehicle weighs at least 10,000 lbs. In Indiana, vehicles over a certain weight have to have different "truck" plates with their weight class on them. Probably the same thing in Kentucky.

Yeah, it has something to do with trucks.  The deal is, and AFAIK this is a unique to Kentucky thing, I have seen the same exact type of vehicle with both regular and these weight based plates.  No body seems to know what the distinction is.

And, word to the wise:  If you drive in Kentucky in a vehicle that has a GVW rating of more than 10,000 pounds, you are required to stop at the weigh scales—no matter if your vehicle has commercial plates or not.  When I used to drive a delivery route in the southern Illinois region, one of our drivers found that out the hard way, because it hadn't even occurred to anyone at our company.  We drove Isuzu cab-over turbo-diesel box trucks (like this), which in Illinois get regular license plates and are exempt from stopping at the scales.  He found out that's not true in Kentucky when the state troopers came racing after him down the highway.

We all learned to avoid that highway.  Our small company got a bad reputation among highway patrol in the Paducah area, though, because of that plus one other incident.  There was a traffic pileup on the I-24 Ohio River bridge, and one of our drivers was caught in the middle.  The accident was clearly not his fault, but his truck had a huge company name and phone number on the side, so guess who people decided to sue.  Well, anyway, at the time of the pileup, when the police arrived, they performed a truck inspection on the spot and found that the rear brakes didn't work.  Yeah, from that point on, our trucks may as well have had giant bulls-eyes painted on them.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

vdeane

• Last Login: July 09, 2020, 10:23:40 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #1307 on: May 13, 2020, 08:32:38 PM »

Remember those new plates for NY?  Looks like they actually happened even after the mandatory replacement after 10 years with new plate fee plan was cancelled, though they ran into the same reflectivity problem that Ontario had (although, unlike Ontario, the state caught it before they were issued): https://nypost.com/2020/05/13/ny-dmv-recalls-cuomos-new-license-plates-due-to-e-zpass-defect/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

andrepoiy

• Last Login: July 08, 2020, 06:43:19 PM
« Reply #1308 on: May 13, 2020, 09:22:23 PM »

Yeah Ontario has now officially scrapped those blue plates...

mgk920

• Last Login: July 09, 2020, 12:42:53 PM
« Reply #1309 on: May 22, 2020, 12:03:58 AM »

What are the latest plans for California when the current series of plate numbers runs out?  They are already up to [8SAAxxx] and from what I am aware of, will not be using numbers in the [9LLLNNN] block.

Mike

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: July 09, 2020, 08:42:51 PM
« Reply #1310 on: May 22, 2020, 12:47:23 AM »

What are the latest plans for California when the current series of plate numbers runs out?  They are already up to [8SAAxxx] and from what I am aware of, will not be using numbers in the [9LLLNNN] block.

Where did you hear that they were skipping out on 9-series plates? I hadn't heard that.

They could adopt San Andreas plate numbering (from GTA V); after 9 (or 8?), go to 10 and keep the ball moving :-D:

mgk920

« Reply #1311 on: May 22, 2020, 12:14:03 PM »

Where did you hear that they were skipping out on 9-series plates? I hadn't heard that.

It was in a discussion on this in here a couple of years ago.

Mike

kphoger

« Reply #1312 on: May 22, 2020, 12:23:12 PM »

Kansas announced a new design for personalized license plates.  However, none of the ones I've seen have looked like the examples.  The ones I've seen have all been a plain brown background, not fading to gold with a graphic element as indicated.

jdbx

• Last Login: July 09, 2020, 05:35:27 PM
« Reply #1313 on: June 12, 2020, 02:25:44 PM »

I would expect that they will do the same thing they did with commercial plates, where they also skipped the 9 series.  It went from 8Z99999 to 00000A1.  For passenger cars, what we will probably see after the 8 series is exhausted is 000AAA1.

frankenroad

• Last Login: July 08, 2020, 12:40:51 PM
« Reply #1314 on: June 12, 2020, 02:30:29 PM »

I would expect that they will do the same thing they did with commercial plates, where they also skipped the 9 series.  It went from 8Z99999 to 00000A1.  For passenger cars, what we will probably see after the 8 series is exhausted is 000AAA1.

I wonder why they don't just go to LLLNNNN like most other larger states.  I also wish they would use a slightly narrower font so they have room for a space between the letters and numbers.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

« Reply #1315 on: June 12, 2020, 02:36:17 PM »

Kansas announced a new design for personalized license plates.  However, none of the ones I've seen have looked like the examples.  The ones I've seen have all been a plain brown background, not fading to gold with a graphic element as indicated.

Update:  I've started seeing these plates with the graphic element as pictured.  I wonder why the earliest ones didn't have it.

Konza

• Last Login: Today at 03:41:23 AM
« Reply #1316 on: June 12, 2020, 02:49:14 PM »

Arizona has apparently changed the alphanumeric sequence on its plates within the last month.  Seven digits, numbers and letters mixed together.  The few I’ve seen so far have the letter A in the third, fifth, and seventh position.  The old sequence ended before the first letter reached D.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  4, 8, 11, 12, 17, 19, 20, 30, 39, 43, 45, 57, 68, 72, 78, 80, 88 (IL)

mgk920

« Reply #1317 on: June 12, 2020, 10:30:20 PM »

I wonder why they don't just go to LLLNNNN like most other larger states.  I also wish they would use a slightly narrower font so they have room for a space between the letters and numbers.

I wouldn't mind seeing California going from 8LLLNNN to LLLLNNN like in Ontario.  I also like the slightly condensed font idea to allow a 'dash'.  Heck, if Wisconsin can do LLL-NNNN, why can't California?

Mike

mgk920

« Reply #1318 on: June 12, 2020, 10:35:24 PM »

Arizona has apparently changed the alphanumeric sequence on its plates within the last month.  Seven digits, numbers and letters mixed together.  The few I’ve seen so far have the letter A in the third, fifth, and seventh position.  The old sequence ended before the first letter reached D.

That is totally weird.  The latest list in The High Road shows the current 'high' in Arizona as [A2A3ARA].  Are they going to be issuing them in totally random order?

Mike

kphoger

« Reply #1319 on: June 15, 2020, 11:10:59 AM »

I wouldn't mind seeing California going from 8LLLNNN to LLLLNNN like in Ontario.

A pet peeve of mine is serial blocks that have more letters than numerals.

Roadwarriors79

• Last Login: July 09, 2020, 01:01:45 AM
« Reply #1320 on: June 20, 2020, 02:56:24 PM »

It looks like more than a few people noticed changes to the standard Arizona plates. ADOT has an explanation. The standard plates will now have random sequencing.

https://azdot.gov/adot-news/your-eyes-don%E2%80%99t-deceive-you-new-license-plate-numbers-are-different

kphoger

« Reply #1321 on: June 22, 2020, 11:14:18 AM »

It looks like more than a few people noticed changes to the standard Arizona plates. ADOT has an explanation. The standard plates will now have random sequencing.

https://azdot.gov/adot-news/your-eyes-don%E2%80%99t-deceive-you-new-license-plate-numbers-are-different

I had never thought about doing this for license plate serial numbers, but now I'm surprised agencies haven't already been doing it for years.

mgk920

« Reply #1322 on: June 22, 2020, 02:21:07 PM »

I had never thought about doing this for license plate serial numbers, but now I'm surprised agencies haven't already been doing it for years.

Indiana switched from issuing car plate numbers by county to 'at random' a couple of decades ago.

Mike

kphoger

« Reply #1323 on: June 22, 2020, 02:26:58 PM »

Indiana switched from issuing car plate numbers by county to 'at random' a couple of decades ago.

Mike

Maybe I'm understanding the change in Arizona incorrectly, then.  I read the article to mean new license plates are a random mix of letters and numbers—not that an existing serial number expanded in use.

??

Roadwarriors79

• Last Login: July 09, 2020, 01:01:45 AM
« Reply #1324 on: June 24, 2020, 03:34:58 PM »

Arizona's newest standard plates are a random mix of letters and numbers. Some people have reported seeing new plates in a format of "A1B2C3D". I haven't seen any of those in the field. The plates I have seen have the format of "ABC1DEF". The only way to tell these are standard is there's a purple cactus to the left of the seven characters.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.