News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Quote from: texaskdog on March 08, 2021, 08:58:38 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 07, 2021, 11:39:31 PM
Motels that won't turn on the No Vacancy sign when no rooms available.

Businesses that close and leave the specials up on the marquee or forget to remove the hours of operation from the front door.  How hard is it to remove.

or businesses that close for the day and always forget to turn off the open sign

Or businesses that open for the day and forget to turn on the Open sign.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Scott5114

Businesses that close and leave the specials up on the marquee or forget to remove the hours of operation from the front door.  How hard is it to remove.

I mean, if you go out of business, by definition you are losing your job, and depending on the size of the business that's closing, the person locking everything up for the last time may not even be getting paid anymore. That last closedown is most likely a very emotional thing for those who are doing it. What's the incentive to focus on details like signage? The next person to rent/buy the building will do that.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 07, 2021, 03:53:02 PM
The thing that irritates me about Doordash and Grubhub is that we have to go to extremes to get them to ring the damn doorbell to let us know that the food is there. They love to drop the food off and skitter away without letting anyone know, so that by the time we think "Huh, this sure is taking a while" and check the porch, the food has been sitting outside long enough that it's ice cold.

Supposedly they send a notification through the phone that the food is delivered, but most of the time, we're playing video games while we wait, so we're not glued to the phone waiting for a notification. (Also, that wouldn't help people in other situations, like parents having to stay late at work and ordering something for their kid at home.) We started putting "Ring bell upon delivery" in the delivery instructions, and it was uniformly ignored.

Is the message through an app, or is it a text sent right to your phone?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 08, 2021, 09:08:27 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on March 08, 2021, 08:58:38 AM
Motels that won’t turn on the No Vacancy sign when no rooms available.

or businesses that close for the day and always forget to turn off the open sign

Or businesses that open for the day and forget to turn on the Open sign.

Yes!  Ever pull up and wonder if they were open?  No cars and the open sign off.

texaskdog

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 08, 2021, 01:36:38 PM

I mean, if you go out of business, by definition you are losing your job, and depending on the size of the business that's closing, the person locking everything up for the last time may not even be getting paid anymore. That last closedown is most likely a very emotional thing for those who are doing it. What's the incentive to focus on details like signage? The next person to rent/buy the building will do that.

I used to like this taco place that closed 3 different times "to remodel".  Looked exactly the same when they reopened. 

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 04:23:45 PM
People who flick their cigarette butt out the car window.   :no:

guilty as charged.

funny story about that...

i was sitting a light once, and the radio station had a guy on the phone, talking about 'jeezis whenever i stop at this light i get stuck behind some fat guy picking his nose and flicking cigarette butts out the window'.

i was sitting at that light, one finger.. yup, up in there, and flicking with the other. i'm looking around for a guy on the phone...
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kphoger

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on March 08, 2021, 03:02:24 PM

Quote from: kphoger on March 04, 2021, 04:23:45 PM
People who flick their cigarette butt out the car window.   :no:

guilty as charged.

funny story about that...

i was sitting a light once, and the radio station had a guy on the phone, talking about 'jeezis whenever i stop at this light i get stuck behind some fat guy picking his nose and flicking cigarette butts out the window'.

i was sitting at that light, one finger.. yup, up in there, and flicking with the other. i'm looking around for a guy on the phone...

So do you throw other garbage out the window, too?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Bruce

As a part time delivery driver, I just want the address provided to be correct and the customer to have their phone on so they can answer my texts. And I would really like to not have maskless customers open their door as I am placing their no-contact delivery on the porch.

FWIW, I use a few insulated bags for all my orders because I don't want my car to smell like dozens of bags of food all day.

1995hoo

One thing that occurs to me on deliveries: Some delivery drivers will put the box directly in front of the door. This is a problem if the door opens out (such as a storm door) and the package is not so small that the door will swing over it. On several occasions we've had to put up the garage door to go around to the front door to retrieve large packages that were positioned so as to block the door.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bruce

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 08, 2021, 03:45:14 PM
One thing that occurs to me on deliveries: Some delivery drivers will put the box directly in front of the door. This is a problem if the door opens out (such as a storm door) and the package is not so small that the door will swing over it. On several occasions we've had to put up the garage door to go around to the front door to retrieve large packages that were positioned so as to block the door.

I definitely try to look for doors that open outwards, but sometimes it isn't clear.

Another annoyance: customers don't leave notes of any kind. Some even neglect to add their building number for a sprawling apartment complex (which usually doesn't have a posted map, so trying to navigate in the dark is a gamble).

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2021, 02:17:32 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on March 07, 2021, 03:53:02 PM
The thing that irritates me about Doordash and Grubhub is that we have to go to extremes to get them to ring the damn doorbell to let us know that the food is there. They love to drop the food off and skitter away without letting anyone know, so that by the time we think "Huh, this sure is taking a while" and check the porch, the food has been sitting outside long enough that it's ice cold.

Supposedly they send a notification through the phone that the food is delivered, but most of the time, we're playing video games while we wait, so we're not glued to the phone waiting for a notification. (Also, that wouldn't help people in other situations, like parents having to stay late at work and ordering something for their kid at home.) We started putting "Ring bell upon delivery" in the delivery instructions, and it was uniformly ignored.

Is the message through an app, or is it a text sent right to your phone?

I think it's a notification on the phone, sent through an app. I'm not sure; all of the ordering apps and accounts are on my wife's phone.

Quote from: Bruce on March 08, 2021, 03:34:14 PM
As a part time delivery driver, I just want the address provided to be correct and the customer to have their phone on so they can answer my texts. And I would really like to not have maskless customers open their door as I am placing their no-contact delivery on the porch.

Quote from: Bruce on March 08, 2021, 04:11:27 PM
Another annoyance: customers don't leave notes of any kind.

If I leave a note to ring the bell, would you ring the bell? :P

kphoger

Another annoyance: customers don't leave notes of any kind. Some even neglect to add their building number for a sprawling apartment complex (which usually doesn't have a posted map, so trying to navigate in the dark is a gamble).

Minor things that bother me:  big apartment complexes whose buildings and/or apartments don't follow a clear numerical order.
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2021, 04:38:04 PM

Minor things that bother me:  big apartment complexes whose buildings and/or apartments don't follow a clear numerical order.

I recall this being a real pain in the rear when delivering pizzas.

We had a few hand-drawn maps to help out.

CoreySamson

I guess I don't know the pain of delivery-related annoyances, because my dog will bark like an air raid siren so I always know when a delivery arrives.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

noelbotevera

On the topic of restaurants:

-Restaurants that don't cross out or state what is out of stock/discontinued (if it's on the menu, then that assumes I can order it)
-Restaurants with bathrooms tucked in the deepest darkest corners, requiring you to navigate a flight of stairs straight out of a 14th century dungeon
-Restaurants that are closed on Sundays; if you're gonna pick a day to be closed, pick Tuesday. Everyone goes out on weekends.
-Customers at restaurants that order excessively specific menu items, holding up the line
-Customers at restaurants that have not decided their order upon reaching the cashier, holding up the line
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2021, 04:38:04 PM

or have no signage.  as a former uber driver would it be that hard?  Its funny our old apt #s were four digits:  2 (phase 2 of the complex), 4 (bldg 4), 2 (2nd floor), 4 (apt 4).  so when people looked for 2424 our building had a 4 on it and they'd wander around looking for bldg 24.  I complained to the office and 2 weeks later they actually paid for new signage we were now building 24.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: noelbotevera on March 08, 2021, 09:54:08 PM
-Restaurants that are closed on Sundays; if you're gonna pick a day to be closed, pick Tuesday. Everyone goes out on weekends.

I've noticed Mondays are becoming more popular for a day off in some locales. Doesn't matter to me really, but I dislike when I go to Grand Marais and forget that both the town's full service grocery stores are closed Sunday. The Cook County Co-Op, at least, is open 7 days.

Quote-Customers at restaurants that order excessively specific menu items, holding up the line

It's worse when you're the one making it. It's one thing to have a food allergy but it's another to order weird shit for the sake of doing weird shit. I used to work at a Burger King and one lady wanted Whoppers with all the condiments placed on the buns and the meat patty left on the side. She wasn't able to even explain clearly what she was trying to do so of course she came back huffy because it got messed up. Other people who don't know what they're ordering, so they try to order something that doesn't exist and of course it's your fault their non-existent item isn't on our menu and they leave in a rage.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jeffandnicole

Everyone except...guess who: Those that work at restaurants.

This one is a tough one. Some close Sundsys for religious reasons. Some close Sunday because they have families, and they want to spend times with their families. Imagine having a mom or dad own or run a restaurant, and you grew up never able to take a day trip as a family because one parent had to mind the store all the time.

It's not always as easy to say "well, they should just hire someone to run it". Not always that easy, especially if you're the one managing expenses and trying to pay the bills.

Scott5114

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 08, 2021, 11:26:55 PM
It's one thing to have a food allergy but it's another to order weird shit for the sake of doing weird shit. I used to work at a Burger King and one lady wanted Whoppers with all the condiments placed on the buns and the meat patty left on the side. She wasn't able to even explain clearly what she was trying to do so of course she came back huffy because it got messed up.

Easy to type in though:
[WHOPPER] [NO] [MEAT]
[WHOPPER PATTY]

Of course, that charges her for the meat twice, because "no" "meat" didn't actually subtract anything from the price of the Whopper on our registers, but it's what she wanted :-D

kphoger

I would be quite annoyed if I planned to go our for dinner with my family on a Tuesday evening, only to find that the restaurant owner had picked Tuesday–out of all the days to be closed!–to shut down.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 09, 2021, 12:02:39 AM
This one is a tough one. Some close Sundsys for religious reasons. Some close Sunday because they have families, and they want to spend times with their families. Imagine having a mom or dad own or run a restaurant, and you grew up never able to take a day trip as a family because one parent had to mind the store all the time.

It's not always as easy to say "well, they should just hire someone to run it". Not always that easy, especially if you're the one managing expenses and trying to pay the bills.

Yeah.  Of all the days of the week, Sunday is when I half-expect businesses to be closed.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

-Restaurants that don't cross out or state what is out of stock/discontinued (if it's on the menu, then that assumes I can order it)

If it's long term out of stock, then I agree with you.  But if the restaurant is sold out of something for a night, or there was a delivery issue, it doesn't make financial sense to print new menus.

Keep in mind Sundays are the days that the food delivery services don't deliver, so any food you order on a Sunday is less fresh than any other day of the week.  That's why a lot of nicer restaurants close.  Also, less people go out for dinner on a Sunday than a Tuesday.  You typically will do at least 2x the sales on Tuesday than Sunday.

Chris

texaskdog

When they mention what they are out of something I didn't want it until I hear about it

kphoger

Nose hairs that extend past the end of my nose.
Eyebrow hairs that decide to take a 90° turn upward.
Male pronouns, please.

kurumi

The phrase "invest in" as a euphemism for plain old "spend money on"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kphoger

Quote from: kurumi on March 09, 2021, 01:01:45 PM
The phrase "invest in" as a euphemism for plain old "spend money on"

"I need to invest in some new 9-volt batteries soon."   :spin:

On the other hand, curtailing your spending habit might actually be an investment in your marriage.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.