News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 05, 2021, 02:17:23 AM
Quote from: Bruce on October 05, 2021, 02:01:53 AM
Damn, $170K is what my neighborhood went for back in the 1990s.

Today most homes around here are in the $450K+ range. And that's a bargain for the metro area.

$470,000 here would get you a 4 bd/4 ba built in 2019 in a gated community.

But median household income here is only $55,849, compared to $89,260 for Snohomish County (and $102,486 for Seattle proper). If the average home here were $470,000, pretty much the whole damn city would be homeless.

Gotta say that gated community does not look appealing one bit. My home is a 3 bd/2.5 ba built in the early 1990s and with a very small yard, but is at least pretty close to normal amenities (even a bit walkable).

Looking around on Zillow, it looks the new-built SFHs in the immediate area, which are spaced even closer together and often without proper street access, are going for upwards of $700K. And that's just about the median home price for the entire county, which was $716,000 in June, a 32% increase from 2020.

snowc

Kinda of a MAJOR thing that bothered me.
Food Lion in Lillington (the one over by 401, NOT by the river), NOT only dropped the ball, they also THREW OUT MY DANG CAKE! :bigass:
Why the heck would FL in Lillington throw out a perfectly designed cake?!
I was extremely mad, and I went spider monkey on them.
People, NEVER order cakes from that Food Lion EVER again! :pan: :no:

abefroman329

Quote from: snowc on October 05, 2021, 07:12:06 AMPeople, NEVER order cakes from that Food Lion EVER again! :pan: :no:

Done.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Bruce on October 05, 2021, 04:06:05 AMGotta say that gated community does not look appealing one bit. My home is a 3 bd/2.5 ba built in the early 1990s and with a very small yard, but is at least pretty close to normal amenities (even a bit walkable).

Looking around on Zillow, it looks the new-built SFHs in the immediate area, which are spaced even closer together and often without proper street access, are going for upwards of $700K. And that's just about the median home price for the entire county, which was $716,000 in June, a 32% increase from 2020.

I have a friend near the I-405 corridor in suburban King County who purchased her house--three bedrooms, one and a half bathrooms, 1310 SF--in the late nineties for a bit under $200,000.  It is now appraised at well north of $600,000 (Zillow quotes an estimate above $750,000).  She and her husband have two children, and that growth in housing costs over 20 years makes me wonder how they will be able to afford their own homes when they set out on their own.  I don't know of anyplace on the West Coast that doesn't have a housing affordability problem, with the possible exception of rural Oregon.

Here in Wichita, the norm is slow but steady growth in real estate values--I can't remember houses here dropping in value at any point in the last several decades, let alone experiencing a correction as severe as Stockton, California during the Great Recession.  A large part of the housing stock consists of narrow-eaves houses built in the immediate postwar years, each with a bit over 1000 SF and valued at about $60,000-$100,000 (this is the main activity focus of the cash-for-houses operators I'm aware of).  There are also wide-eaves houses in 1960's-1980's subdivisions, with roughly 1500-2500 SF and valued at about $150,000-$250,000.  $300,000 and above is McMansion territory.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

renegade

Quote from: snowc on October 05, 2021, 07:12:06 AM
Food Lion in Lillington (the one over by 401, NOT by the river), NOT only dropped the ball, they also THREW OUT MY DANG CAKE! :bigass:
Damn.  Here I was, all set to get into my car, drive to Lillington, North Carolina and go to the Food Lion over by 401, not the one by the river, from my home in the far western end of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to pick up a perfectly-designed cake.  I guess I'll save myself the trip, seeing as they'll only throw it out before I get there.

I read this as:  O-NOES!  They threw away my CAKE!!  The whole WORLD'S gonna come to an END!  PANIC!   :confused:

It would have been worth the trip though, just to see the spider monkey.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

vdeane

I feel like there's details we're missing here.  Why would they design and prepare a cake and then throw it out?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on October 05, 2021, 12:03:06 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 02, 2021, 06:55:03 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on October 02, 2021, 03:13:11 PM
Fun fact:  Blu-ray is correct while Blu-Ray (a very common usage) is not.

Still wished they could have come up with a name without a hyphen. Regardless of the reason behind the name.

I mostly just wish they had spelled blue correctly.

Quote from: renegade on October 04, 2021, 09:49:18 PM
Facebook sucks.  Twitter blows.

To combine these two things, I recently saw "blue cheese" trending on Twitter. Blue cheese? When was the spelling of bleu cheese changed?

Quote from: vdeane on October 05, 2021, 02:38:58 PM
I feel like there's details we're missing here.  Why would they design and prepare a cake and then throw it out?

Kroger in Stanton, Ky., totally messed up a special-order cake my wife ordered for her mom's birthday. She told them she didn't want it, and they found a pre-made cake and decorated it appropriately. She suspects they threw away the specially-prepared cake (which would have been fine for general-purpose sales, as it had no specific icing writing on it, which was part of the problem).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on October 05, 2021, 03:12:17 PMTo combine these two things, I recently saw "blue cheese" trending on Twitter. Blue cheese? When was the spelling of bleu cheese changed?

"Blue cheese" Google search: About 37,300,000 results
"Bleu cheese" Google search: About 2,810,000 results

The first one of these that springs to my mind is "ice tea" instead of "iced tea."

Bruce

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 05, 2021, 09:44:39 AM
I don't know of anyplace on the West Coast that doesn't have a housing affordability problem, with the possible exception of rural Oregon.

It's even worse in rural areas, since the supply simply isn't there. And especially the few "large" towns out there, like Bend, where the market has been going wild due to an influx of remote workers who are able to outbid the locals.

noelbotevera

Don't think I've mentioned this, but people who reverse into parking spots are annoying. Unless you're parallel parking on a street, there is no reason for you to take eons trying to get into the spot.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

abefroman329

People who reverse into parking spots and don't know what the hell they're doing, yeah.

wanderer2575

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 05, 2021, 04:32:49 PM
Don't think I've mentioned this, but people who reverse into parking spots are annoying. Unless you're parallel parking on a street, there is no reason for you to take eons trying to get into the spot.

If it takes eons because the driver doesn't know how to handle the vehicle, I agree.  (For that matter, it takes some of them eons to back OUT of a parking spot.)  But I always back in, or pull through two spots so I am facing out in the second spot.  In a parking lot, you have a much better view of the aisle driving out forward than backing out.

JoePCool14

I always try to back in, if I have the time and space to do so. It's easier in my opinion especially with a rear-view camera.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 05, 2021, 04:54:02 PM
People who reverse into parking spots and don't know what the hell they're doing, yeah.

People that pull into parking spots and don't know what the hell they're doing. 

If they pulled in crooked and the back-end is over the line, they're an idiot.

If they pulled in and need to back out once to readjust, ok.  If they need to do it 2 or more times, they're an idiot.

If they're purposely taking up 2 spots, that's fine.  They're being a dick, but at least they know what they're doing when they do it.

Bruce

Far safer to back in when in a crowded lot. When trying to reverse out of a parking spot, people will ignore your lights and just walk next to your bumper.

CtrlAltDel

I know that things are currently slower due to Covid, but this seems a bit long:

I remember when licenses were printed while you wait, and I get that it's now required that they be printed in a secure location, but, at least in normal times, it should take no more than four or five days to arrive by mail. As it stands, I have no "official" driver's license to present when needed, and so, I'm compelled to use my passport, which is bulky, and also people sometimes don't know how to deal with it.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

allniter89

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 05, 2021, 04:54:02 PM
I dont back into a parking spot but I will pull thru it so I dont have 2 back out. People here are bad for letting a car back into them for lawsuit money.
Pensacola had the bright idea yrs ago to have back in angled parking downtown. The problem was people had trouble backing in angled so it held up traffic as bad as parrell parking. I learned from parrell parking an 18 wheeler in a rest area to watch where the rear of yur v-hickle iz. I think its as ez to parrell park a truck as a car. With a truck u have that handy pivot point at the 5th wheel. U just gotta turn the steer weel s_l_o_w_l_y.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

1995hoo

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 05, 2021, 03:33:00 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 05, 2021, 03:12:17 PMTo combine these two things, I recently saw "blue cheese" trending on Twitter. Blue cheese? When was the spelling of bleu cheese changed?

"Blue cheese" Google search: About 37,300,000 results
"Bleu cheese" Google search: About 2,810,000 results

The first one of these that springs to my mind is "ice tea" instead of "iced tea."

The one that springs to my mind is people who write "should of" when they mean "should've" (contraction of "should have"). "Should of" (or "would of") is the throwaway answer on the SAT that's there to trick stupid people into throwing away easy points. I genuinely cannot believe that anyone is stupid enough to think that's the correct expression, regardless of how the contraction "sounds." It simply makes no sense whatsoever to write it that way.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

I think I've seen "should/could/would have"  used genuinely more times than I've seen it used ironically, and I use it ironically all the time.

US 89

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 05, 2021, 10:38:37 PM
I think I've seen "should/could/would have"  used genuinely more times than I've seen it used ironically, and I use it ironically all the time.

Heh, the forum corrected you there...  :sombrero:

And on that note, "might of" should probably be added to that word filter too.

kkt

I don't think there's much chance that I will ever do that :)

kkt

Quote from: hbelkins on October 05, 2021, 03:12:17 PM
To combine these two things, I recently saw "blue cheese" trending on Twitter. Blue cheese? When was the spelling of bleu cheese changed?

When people realized it was pretentious to use the French spelling instead of the English spelling for no particular reason.

Scott5114

By which you probably mean you brought a lot of stress and unhappiness upon someone who either made a simple mistake, or wasn't involved in it at all and just happened to randomly be the person on shift when you came in, and who in either case probably doesn't make nearly enough money to compensate them for having to deal with such antics.

Being unkind to service staff is never something one should be proud of.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: US 89 on October 05, 2021, 11:06:17 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on October 05, 2021, 10:38:37 PM

Heh, the forum corrected you there...  :sombrero:

And on that note, "might of" should probably be added to that word filter too.

It didn't correct his post on my screen. There's a setting you can turn on or off in your forum profile to determine whether the forum censors words. "Censor" is arguably an overinclusive term because in this case it simply corrects a spelling error that certain forum users seem determined to make.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Something Awful, at one time, replaced misspelled words with something mocking you for not knowing how to spell. It falsely triggered on "ingenious" because it saw "genious" as a misspelling of "genius".
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.