News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 09, 2022, 12:51:55 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 08, 2022, 10:21:31 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 08, 2022, 06:56:50 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 08, 2022, 06:41:01 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 08, 2022, 05:32:36 PM
Yeah, I try to save extra sauce packets too.  I eventually throw out 99% of them.

I usually will only throw out ketchup is it is obviously going bad in some way (e.g. it's puffed up or the packet is leaking).

I keep other sauces too, but those tend to get either used up super fast (ranch) or thrown out when they've been around for too long (anything else).

At home, I have regular bottles or whatnot of any condiment that I commonly use, and so any little packets get thrown out right away with the rest of the waste of the meal.

That's one way to do it...but bottles of condiments cost money and packets are already paid for as part of the cost of the meal. I'm too poor to just throw away perfectly good food if I'll actually use it later. Pretty much the only condiment bottles I buy are ones where I don't get packets with meals often enough to keep up with usage (like mayo).

I can't argue with that, of course. In my own experience, though, I just get annoyed at having to deal with the little packets. They constantly fall out of the fridge, you have to open so many of them, it can take forever to scrounge up enough of them. And so, even in grad school, my preference was to just spend the five dollars to buy a regular container and be done with it for a year.

I suppose the time savings adds up if you use more than 2 packets per meal, which is all I use. I don't bother to save the salt/pepper packets that come with some meals for that reason.

I avoid the problem of packets falling out of the fridge by...not putting them in the fridge. When I worked at Burger King, none of the packeted condiments were kept refrigerated. Not even the mayo. And this wasn't something our store was just getting away with; things that needed to be kept refrigerated were very much warned as such on the packaging and in the operations manual, and there was nothing requiring refrigeration for the boxes of packets. My guess is that the packet-sealing process replaces the air with an inert gas like nitrogen, so the packets won't spoil before they're opened, much like how jars of mayo aren't kept refrigerated at the grocery store.

As mentioned above, I keep them in the utensil drawer, in one of those little drawer divider box things that looks like a tiny laundry basket.

Quote from: kkt on April 09, 2022, 01:54:50 PM
However, I like the condiments I buy in bottles better than the ones in little foil packets.

With ketchup, they're almost always genuine Heinz or something similar enough to it that I can't discern the difference. And since Heinz is what I'd be buying anyway...

There are few places that hand out packets of Hunt's or Red Gold ketchup. I throw away the Hunt's.

There are a few condiment packets I find superior to the stuff you can buy in a store. Chick-Fil-A mayonnaise, Whataburger ketchup (now available in bottle form), most fast food ranch other than McDonald's...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

One way to avoid accumulating packets is simply not to use the drive-thru.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

interstatefan990

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 09, 2022, 03:52:21 PM
One way to avoid accumulating packets is simply not to use the drive-thru.

Well, not using the drive-thru means not getting food at all for a lot of customers. Plus, this issue could still occur if you go into the store to pick up your food and don't check how many ketchup packets they gave you before you leave.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

TheHighwayMan3561

When not only does the opposing direction of traffic get a green left turn arrow when no one is waiting there, but then their straight movement turns green too while we're still waiting for their green arrow with that non-existent traffic to turn red.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 10, 2022, 04:07:47 PM
Well, not using the drive-thru means not getting food at all for a lot of customers.

They somehow made it to the car they're going through the drive-thru in, so I don't see why they couldn't get out of said car to go into the restaurant. What it is, a hundred feet?

Scott5114

Quote from: jakeroot on April 11, 2022, 01:16:15 AM
Well, not using the drive-thru means not getting food at all for a lot of customers.

They somehow made it to the car they're going through the drive-thru in, so I don't see why they couldn't get out of said car to go into the restaurant. What it is, a hundred feet?

Sort of ableist, don't you think? Just because they can get in and out of the car doesn't mean it's easy or time-effective to do so (consider wheelchair users), and if someone keeps their car garaged the amount of distance they have to travel to get into it would be well under 100 feet.

The vast majority of people in a drive-thru are not using it as an accessibility feature, of course, and for most people going inside is at worst an inconvenience. But it's good to be mindful that for a small percentage of people the options are "drive-thru" or "stay home and eat a ham sandwich".

webny99

On the other hand, not using the drive-thru came up as an option to avoid getting extra ketchup or other sauce packets, which is an extremely small "burden" (hesitate to even call it that since you're getting them essentially for free) in the grand scheme of things.

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 10, 2022, 10:59:36 PM
When not only does the opposing direction of traffic get a green left turn arrow when no one is waiting there, but then their straight movement turns green too while we're still waiting for their green arrow with that non-existent traffic to turn red.

See, I would much rather the opposing through traffic get to go than the alternative, which is that there's a green arrow in both directions and no one gets to go.

vdeane

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 10, 2022, 10:59:36 PM
It does often seem like many traffic lights are specifically programmed to maximize delay.  There's one in my commute that lingers in the all-straight phase for a long time even if there's nobody coming from the other direction and the protected left could have been triggered.  Another that cycles between all straight and straight plus a protected left in one direction even if there's nobody there, so if you're on the intersecting street and you hit it at the wrong part of the cycle, you could be waiting through a whole cycle for a green.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J N Winkler

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 10, 2022, 04:07:47 PMWell, not using the drive-thru means not getting food at all for a lot of customers. Plus, this issue could still occur if you go into the store to pick up your food and don't check how many ketchup packets they gave you before you leave.

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 11, 2022, 01:29:34 AMThe vast majority of people in a drive-thru are not using it as an accessibility feature, of course, and for most people going inside is at worst an inconvenience. But it's good to be mindful that for a small percentage of people the options are "drive-thru" or "stay home and eat a ham sandwich".

Quote from: webny99 on April 11, 2022, 09:47:55 AMOn the other hand, not using the drive-thru came up as an option to avoid getting extra ketchup or other sauce packets, which is an extremely small "burden" (hesitate to even call it that since you're getting them essentially for free) in the grand scheme of things.

Yes to all of the above.  (I've ridden with a wheelchair user, so I have firsthand experience of the convenience advantages drive-thru offers versus two wheelchair transfers, two uses of a ramp or motorized lift, and two transits of a double door.)  And it has to be admitted that restaurants vary in how they handle condiment packets--for example, when I picked up a Popeyes order last Saturday at the drive-thru window (the dining room was closed; not sure why, but it can't have been covid since our current numbers are very low), I noticed a "Condiments by request only" sign.

But, as a general rule, if a fast-food restaurant makes condiments available at no extra charge, in bins in the dining area to allow self-serve access, then if you pick up an order inside, you will be usually left to pick up as many or as few packets as you wish.  Many customers will be oversupplied at the drive-thru because the ruling consideration there is avoiding friction (customers complaining about too few packets, extra time to load the bag with more, etc.).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 11, 2022, 02:04:19 PM
Many customers will be oversupplied at the drive-thru because the ruling consideration there is avoiding friction (customers complaining about too few packets, extra time to load the bag with more, etc.).

It sometimes goes like this:

– Would you like any ketchup or dipping sauce today?
– Yeah, just give me couple of mustard and one mayo.
–  Here you go.
* gives me 650 mustard packets and 1 mayo packet *
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 11, 2022, 02:18:37 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 11, 2022, 02:04:19 PM
Many customers will be oversupplied at the drive-thru because the ruling consideration there is avoiding friction (customers complaining about too few packets, extra time to load the bag with more, etc.).

It sometimes goes like this:

– Would you like any ketchup or dipping sauce today?
– Yeah, just give me couple of mustard and one mayo.
–  Here you go.
* gives me 650 mustard packets and 1 mayo packet *

Of course, when I worked drive-thru, I had this exact conversation more than once, before I learned not to bother attempting to parse customer requests for meaning:

– Any salt, pepper, ketchup?*
– Give me a couple of mustard and one mayo.
– Here you go.
* gives them 2 mustard packets and 1 mayo packet. *
– What the hell, I need more mustard than this!

Excuse me for not being able to read your mind to know you believe in a non-standard meaning of the word "couple", my guy!

* I tried "condiments" to be more general for a bit, but it turns out nobody knows what that word means.

US 89

Count me in as another Strategic Condiment Reserve® user. Why let free food you made no extra effort to get go to waste and then spend money getting more of that same food? Yeah, it's not that much money in the long run, but every dollar you save adds up.

Mine currently contains 24 ketchup packets (2 full-size CFA ones, some from Wendy's and Zaxby's, some Heinz packets, and some other generic looking ones I have no idea where they came from). There's also several mustard packets and BBQ sauce containers from various locations, one mayo packet, a few packets of Waffle House sauce and some syrup from there, a honey packet from Bojangles, some teriyaki sauce from Panda Express, and some ranch dressing of unknown origin. The rate of input into this reserve approximately equals the rate of output, and so I haven't bought condiments in over a year.

HighwayStar

Quote from: US 89 on April 11, 2022, 06:02:32 PM
Count me in as another Strategic Condiment Reserve® user. Why let free food you made no extra effort to get go to waste and then spend money getting more of that same food? Yeah, it's not that much money in the long run, but every dollar you save adds up.

Mine currently contains 24 ketchup packets (2 full-size CFA ones, some from Wendy's and Zaxby's, some Heinz packets, and some other generic looking ones I have no idea where they came from). There's also several mustard packets and BBQ sauce containers from various locations, one mayo packet, a few packets of Waffle House sauce and some syrup from there, a honey packet from Bojangles, some teriyaki sauce from Panda Express, and some ranch dressing of unknown origin. The rate of input into this reserve approximately equals the rate of output, and so I haven't bought condiments in over a year.

The Strategic Condiment Reserve seems like a very corona time era thing. Right next to the Strategic TP reserve.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

jakeroot

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 11, 2022, 01:29:34 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on April 11, 2022, 01:16:15 AM

Sort of ableist, don't you think? Just because they can get in and out of the car doesn't mean it's easy or time-effective to do so (consider wheelchair users), and if someone keeps their car garaged the amount of distance they have to travel to get into it would be well under 100 feet.

The vast majority of people in a drive-thru are not using it as an accessibility feature, of course, and for most people going inside is at worst an inconvenience. But it's good to be mindful that for a small percentage of people the options are "drive-thru" or "stay home and eat a ham sandwich".

I don't personally agree with your characterization of my comment. First, driving itself, and the reliance upon it, is quite ableist to begin with (don't get me started on COVID "drive thru only" service). Second, the vast majority of restaurants do not have drive thru service -- are they ableist? No, because they have others means of access. Being able to go through a drive-thru is not exactly a restaurant meeting some kind of ADA requirement; that is fulfilled by nearby ADA stalls, which are usually adjacent to the entrance.

The idea of a car is generally to get from A, to B, maybe C, and then back to A. Since B, C, etc have no legal requirement to offer curbside service (despite its increasing popularity), suggesting that people may occasionally need to get out of their car (say, to ensure they do not receive too many sauce packets) is not unreasonable or ableist, especially if the facility otherwise meets ADA requirements (ADA stalls, ramps, wide doors, etc). Some may have physical difficulty entering/exiting their car, and sure, the drive-thru is great for that. But it's not ableist to suggest that even these people may need to occasionally exit their car to accomplish certain tasks, even when a drive-thru exists.

kphoger

By the time I might actually get around to using a Strategic Condiment Reserve® packet, I no longer have any clue how long it's been in my cupboard.  This means I have no clue if it might be starting to go bad.  And, certainly, I've seen sauce packets start to puff up after a year or two, so I know rancidity is a possibility.  At least the stuff in a full-sized jar comes with a best-by date.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

When I try and fail to avoid the reflectors while changing lanes:  attempt to time it such that my wheels go between the skip lines, but it doesn't work.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 12, 2022, 02:28:50 PM
When I try and fail to avoid the reflectors while changing lanes:  attempt to time it such that my wheels go between the skip lines, but it doesn't work.

Meanwhile, I've been known to intentionally drive on the reflectors. They make a very pleasant whirring sound, and doing so at night (and when traffic is light) helps one stay awake.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on April 12, 2022, 09:58:28 AM
By the time I might actually get around to using a Strategic Condiment Reserve® packet, I no longer have any clue how long it's been in my cupboard.

Usually the good stuff in our SCR is used up within a few days. BBQ sauce and anything "special" (for example, extra Zax Sauce) rarely make it past the Twenty-Four hour Limit. When the TFL (tough frickin' luck) limit is exceeded, all take-out food is in the family domain for any type of leftover consumption, unless accompanied by a Post-It note (this is for school!) or a lunch container.

I throw out all the extra ketchup, mustard, and mayo packets every six months or so; I rarely use it and it becomes obvious that nobody else wants it.

Scott5114

At least the stuff in a full-sized jar comes with a best-by date.

I generally ignore best-by dates, since, in my experience, they tend to be less an indicator of actual expected rate of quality degradation and more a CYA exercise by the manufacturer (or to be more cynical, an attempt at moving more product through voluntary planned obsolescence). I generally only take dates printed on packaging under advisement if there's legitimate safety concerns associated with consuming expired product–but even then I will still consume expired product if it still looks and smells good. (Only eggs will I automatically throw out based on the expiration date alone.)

My mom stubbornly keeps a package of oatmeal with a 1996 expiration date in her pantry. I think this is mostly a response to me pointing this out and making light of it, though; I doubt she actually intends to ever eat it.

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 12, 2022, 06:20:45 PM
At least the stuff in a full-sized jar comes with a best-by date.

I generally ignore best-by dates, since, in my experience, they tend to be less an indicator of actual expected rate of quality degradation and more a CYA exercise by the manufacturer (or to be more cynical, an attempt at moving more product through voluntary planned obsolescence). I generally only take dates printed on packaging under advisement if there's legitimate safety concerns associated with consuming expired product–but even then I will still consume expired product if it still looks and smells good. (Only eggs will I automatically throw out based on the expiration date alone.)

My mom stubbornly keeps a package of oatmeal with a 1996 expiration date in her pantry. I think this is mostly a response to me pointing this out and making light of it, though; I doubt she actually intends to ever eat it.

Yes.  I even take the expiration date of eggs with some salt.  It's a sell-by date, so a month past is probably fine unless they smell off.

J N Winkler

With eggs, the traditional rule of thumb is that if they float, pockets of hydrogen sulfide gas have developed inside the shell and they are therefore no longer safe to eat.  Personally, I go by smell when I crack the shell, and I haven't had problems with eggs that have been continuously refrigerated.

hotdogPi

At restaurants, I've noticed an uptick in the last 4 months or so in places where the menu prices don't match the actual price. In both directions.

(I'm not counting over-the-counter pizza/sub places or Chinese places that round down to the nearest 50¢; that's actually something I support.)

So far:

• Yesterday (Chinese): $13 advertised, $12.50 actual
  • Chili's: $10 special updated to $10.99, but a few of the menus haven't updated
  • Cracker Barrel: $9 advertised, $8 (previous price) actual
  • Chinese: overcharged twice (first one overturned), both from pre-inflation menus
  • Sandwich: What I typically get is slightly above $8 after tax; I variously get charged $7, $7.50, or $8
  • Sit-down: $12, actual $12 with no tax (bottled water is taxed, though, although it was taken off because I only ordered tap water)
  • Sandwich: Used to charge MA (7%) meal's tax instead of NH (8.5%) meal's tax
  • Chinese: $11 advertised, $10 actual
  • Pizza: $11.25 → $12, $13.50 → $13 (note these are in different directions), 31¢ (1.2%) credit card fee despite paying cash, rounded down from xx.62 to xx.50, all in the same order. I wasn't charged the credit card fee the time I came in after that.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Live Updater.

That little blue box that keeps popping up on my computer screen.  And it won't just disappear after a few seconds, and it won't let any other window be on top of it.  No, I have to click the [X] every time.

I restarted my computer this morning, and the doggone thing has popped up about seven times so far since then.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

On a similar note, whenever I get an email I get a notification in the lower right hand side of the screen. If I want to click anything even nearby where the box is, I have to close the box first. I know I can't click things behind the box, but something 1/2" away (on my large monitor) I can't click? That's dumb.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.