News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 13, 2022, 01:54:46 PM
On a similar note, whenever I get an email I get a notification in the lower right hand side of the screen. If I want to click anything even nearby where the box is, I have to close the box first. I know I can't click things behind the box, but something 1/2" away (on my large monitor) I can't click? That's dumb.

Outlook?  I think you can turn off those little pop-ups.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2022, 01:51:32 PMLive Updater.

That little blue box that keeps popping up on my computer screen.  And it won't just disappear after a few seconds, and it won't let any other window be on top of it.  No, I have to click the [X] every time.

I restarted my computer this morning, and the doggone thing has popped up about seven times so far since then.

Can it be disabled?  There should be a way to do so.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 13, 2022, 01:54:46 PMOn a similar note, whenever I get an email I get a notification in the lower right hand side of the screen. If I want to click anything even nearby where the box is, I have to close the box first. I know I can't click things behind the box, but something 1/2" away (on my large monitor) I can't click? That's dumb.

Can this be turned off?

A related annoyance:  the web browser popping up a window:  "This site wants to send you notifications.  Allow?  Cancel?"  After the 20th or 21st time, I Googled and discovered most (if not all) browsers have a setting to prevent notification requests.  Toggling it on my default browser has gotten rid of about 99% of them.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2022, 02:09:04 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 13, 2022, 01:54:46 PM
On a similar note, whenever I get an email I get a notification in the lower right hand side of the screen. If I want to click anything even nearby where the box is, I have to close the box first. I know I can't click things behind the box, but something 1/2" away (on my large monitor) I can't click? That's dumb.

Outlook?  I think you can turn off those little pop-ups.

I know, but they come in handy for my job for me to glance at the topics being responded to. I just wish the notifications didn't affect other portions of the desktop.

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 13, 2022, 02:09:58 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2022, 01:51:32 PM
Live Updater.

That little blue box that keeps popping up on my computer screen.  And it won't just disappear after a few seconds, and it won't let any other window be on top of it.  No, I have to click the [X] every time.

I restarted my computer this morning, and the doggone thing has popped up about seven times so far since then.

Can it be disabled?  There should be a way to do so.

It's an Acer thing that checks for software updates on my PC.  I don't think it would be wise to uninstall it, because–who knows–there might come a day in the distant future when I actually want to do the updates.

It would be a lot less annoying if it would time-out after a few seconds like the e-mail notifications |JayhawkCO| mentioned.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 13, 2022, 02:10:34 PM
I know, but they come in handy for my job for me to glance at the topics being responded to. I just wish the notifications didn't affect other portions of the desktop.

Oh, I hear you.  It annoyed me as well, back before I disabled the notifications.  I wanted to make sure you knew that was an option.

Another Outlook-related one...  Do you ever have a folder that shows a [1] for an unread message, yet there's no unread message in that folder?  Even when you right-click and choose [Mark All as Read], the little blue [1] is still there?  Bah!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2022, 02:16:10 PM
Oh, I hear you.  It annoyed me as well, back before I disabled the notifications.  I wanted to make sure you knew that was an option.

Another Outlook-related one...  Do you ever have a folder that shows a [1] for an unread message, yet there's no unread message in that folder?  Even when you right-click and choose [Mark All as Read], the little blue [1] is still there?  Bah!

Yep. Sometimes I just close out of Outlook completely when that happens.

Another Outlook annoyance, when you click "mark as unread" on one message and then all of a sudden you have 12 unread emails because it's everything in the chain? I just want the last email to remain unread so I can come back to it later!!

interstatefan990

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 13, 2022, 02:20:30 PM

Another Outlook annoyance, when you click "mark as unread" on one message and then all of a sudden you have 12 unread emails because it's everything in the chain? I just want the last email to remain unread so I can come back to it later!!

A Gmail annoyance: The "Promotions" category that some messages get hidden behind. I've almost missed several important emails due to them being mislabeled as promotions and sorted away from my inbox. And unlike with Spam, there is no button to click to teach it which emails belong there and which don't.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2022, 02:16:10 PMIt's an Acer thing that checks for software updates on my PC.  I don't think it would be wise to uninstall it, because–who knows–there might come a day in the distant future when I actually want to do the updates.

I have an Acer too, but Live Updater is not showing up as a separate installed program--the functionality may be folded into Acer Care Center.

In any event, I do not allow maintenance apps to throw up notifications, and like you, I tend not to uninstall preloaded software (unless I am very sure it is bloatware or trialware) in case I need the functionality down the line.  Short of uninstalling Live Updater, you should be able to prevent it generating notifications or stealing focus by changing configuration settings or by using the Startup tab in Task Manager (assuming you're using Windows 10) to ensure it does not launch at boot.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: interstatefan990 on April 13, 2022, 02:36:02 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 13, 2022, 02:20:30 PM

A Gmail annoyance: The "Promotions" category that some messages get hidden behind. I've almost missed several important emails due to them being mislabeled as promotions and sorted away from my inbox. And unlike with Spam, there is no button to click to teach it which emails belong there and which don't.

You can drag emails from there to another inbox category and it theoretically trains Gmail to sort similar emails into that box.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Speaking of Outlook: You mark an e-mail as unread for future reference. Then when you get another message, view it, and delete it, you wind up viewing the one you marked unread and Outlook unilaterally changes it back to "read" because you looked at it again. I know I can click to another message before deleting in order to avoid that behavior, but it's annoying.

I recently tried the Outlook iOS app and it doesn't work that way–when you delete a message, it doesn't automatically open the next one. I like that. But I don't like that it refuses to display my name when I send an e-mail from my iCloud account (instead, it displays just my address). So I think I will refrain from using that app for my iCloud messages, which is actually not a bad thing because it lets me further segregate things. I use the iCloud account solely for immediate family.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 13, 2022, 03:31:46 PM
Speaking of Outlook: You mark an e-mail as unread for future reference. Then when you get another message, view it, and delete it, you wind up viewing the one you marked unread and Outlook unilaterally changes it back to "read" because you looked at it again. I know I can click to another message before deleting in order to avoid that behavior, but it's annoying.

I recently tried the Outlook iOS app and it doesn't work that way–when you delete a message, it doesn't automatically open the next one. I like that. But I don't like that it refuses to display my name when I send an e-mail from my iCloud account (instead, it displays just my address). So I think I will refrain from using that app for my iCloud messages, which is actually not a bad thing because it lets me further segregate things. I use the iCloud account solely for immediate family.

You can change your settings to where merely viewing an e-mail doesn't mark it "read".

> File
>> Options
>>> Mail

Under the [Outlook panes] section, click on the [Reading Pane...] button.

Review your settings and change them to suit your needs.

Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 13, 2022, 03:31:46 PM

I know exactly what you mean, and I don't try to mark mail as unread once I've clicked on it for that very reason. I instead use the flag feature for things that I'll need to read more closely or follow up on later. ...

Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2022, 03:42:57 PM
You can change your settings to where merely viewing an e-mail doesn't mark it "read".

> File
>> Options
>>> Mail

Under the [Outlook panes] section, click on the [Reading Pane...] button.

Review your settings and change them to suit your needs.

Interesting. I never knew about those options. I just unchecked "Mark item as read when selection changes", which, if I'm understanding correctly, should eliminate the issue 1995hoo describes.

EDIT: just tried it, and it works! I'll see how it goes for a few days before deciding whether to make the settings change permanent, but in any case, thanks kphoger for the tip!

1995hoo

I just looked at the settings and I see the first box there ("Mark items as read when viewed in the Reading Pane") is de-selected. But it doesn't seem to matter–it marks them as read anyway when I view them that way. Maybe the key is to turn off the second option as well.

Edited to add: De-selecting the second box as well seems to solve it. Thanks for the tip!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Of course, here's one I haven't figured out how to get around:

I share two of my work inbox accounts with a co-worker.  If a new e-mail comes in, and she determines it doesn't need to be kept in the inbox, and so she marks it as "read" and moves it to the Deleted Items folder–then it disappears from my inbox as well, but Outlook on my Start bar still displays a "new message" alert.  So I click on Outlook, and there's no unread message anywhere to be found, nor is there any e-mail sitting in the inbox.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on April 13, 2022, 04:00:14 PM
Quote from: kphoger on April 13, 2022, 03:42:57 PM

Interesting. I never knew about those options. I just unchecked "Mark item as read when selection changes", which, if I'm understanding correctly, should eliminate the issue 1995hoo describes.

EDIT: just tried it, and it works! I'll see how it goes for a few days before deciding whether to make the settings change permanent, but in any case, thanks kphoger for the tip!

An update: I've already reversed this change, because I've found that I do want emails to show read when the selection changes about 90% of the time. The other 10%... well, I can manage those. It is, after all, only a "minor thing", and I'm already used to using the flag feature for follow up.

thenetwork

Quote from: 1 on April 13, 2022, 09:57:11 AM
At restaurants, I've noticed an uptick in the last 4 months or so in places where the menu prices don't match the actual price.

Late last year, I stopped by a national pizza chain that advertised a special takeout pizza deal for $6. I came into the store, ordered and paid for it in person.

The high school dropout behind the counter said my total with tax was over $1.50 more than what I had expected.  I got a receipt (my company p-card was buying) and I saw that I was charged $1.00+ more than the posted price.  I questioned the charge, and he couldnt give me any reasonable answer.  The manager on duty also gave me the shoulder shrug and insisted that was the price.

Sent emails to their corporate office and left a few voicemails as I had all the evidence.  A general manager from the store did contact me and claimed that I was charged the proper price and that accusations were false.  I went back and forth with this person (as corporate never called to address the issue despite photos of posted price and receipt emailed to all) and finally, she begrudgingly refunded my entire charge with NO apology nor any admission of guilt.

I related the story to as many local and trip advisor websites I could find as the store was right off the freeway at a busy exit for travelers.

The reason why I rode them so long and hard with bad reviews was because of their attitude from start to finish.  I hope karma bit their staff in the ass with mass firings due to corporate involvement (doubtful) or the location went out of business as other people got screwed and insulted.

Scott5114

Quote from: thenetwork on April 13, 2022, 10:41:51 PM
At restaurants, I've noticed an uptick in the last 4 months or so in places where the menu prices don't match the actual price.

Late last year, I stopped by a national pizza chain that advertised a special takeout pizza deal for $6. I came into the store, ordered and paid for it in person.

The high school dropout behind the counter said my total with tax was over $1.50 more than what I had expected.  I got a receipt (my company p-card was buying) and I saw that I was charged $1.00+ more than the posted price.  I questioned the charge, and he couldnt give me any reasonable answer.  The manager on duty also gave me the shoulder shrug and insisted that was the price.

Sent emails to their corporate office and left a few voicemails as I had all the evidence.  A general manager from the store did contact me and claimed that I was charged the proper price and that accusations were false.  I went back and forth with this person (as corporate never called to address the issue despite photos of posted price and receipt emailed to all) and finally, she begrudgingly refunded my entire charge with NO apology nor any admission of guilt.

I related the story to as many local and trip advisor websites I could find as the store was right off the freeway at a busy exit for travelers.

The reason why I rode them so long and hard with bad reviews was because of their attitude from start to finish.  I hope karma bit their staff in the ass with mass firings due to corporate involvement (doubtful) or the location went out of business as other people got screwed and insulted.

Wow, listen to yourself. You wish that masses of people would lose their jobs over a difference of one dollar and fifty cents. You spent untold amounts of time bitching into the void on the internet for one dollar and fifty cents. Even at minimum wage, that's twelve minutes worth of pay. What were you going to spend it on, two and a half stamps? No, because it wasn't even your $1.50.

I wish I could know what it was like to have that kind of time to waste and to think I was so important to the world.

Gross.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 13, 2022, 11:00:52 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on April 13, 2022, 10:41:51 PM

Wow, listen to yourself. You wish that masses of people would lose their jobs over a difference of one dollar and fifty cents. You spent untold amounts of time bitching into the void on the internet for one dollar and fifty cents. Even at minimum wage, that's twelve minutes worth of pay. What were you going to spend it on, two and a half stamps? No, because it wasn't even your $1.50.

I wish I could know what it was like to have that kind of time to waste and to think I was so important to the world.

Gross.

There are some things which are about principle, not just if it is NPV positive to do it. He did not say he wanted them to lose their jobs over the buck fifty, but over the poor attitude and customer service they provided. I've had the same thing happen when I was given incorrect change and politely informed the cashier about it. Her reply was rude and unprofessional, and because of that I stuck it out and waited for a manager to come resolve the issue. Had she been polite and professional I would have let it go. I know that when I was cashiering if I had responded to a customer like she did in front of the store manager I would have been out looking for a new job that day.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Scott5114

You realize those aren't robots they keep behind the counter, right?

Takumi

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 13, 2022, 11:34:36 PM
A lot of customers don’t see retail staff as people. And it’s a growing amount.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on April 14, 2022, 12:37:44 AM
A lot of customers don’t see retail staff as people. And it’s a growing amount.

I have worked in retail for about 10-20 years (depending on POV); at the moment of monetary transactions, some people ragefully snap back, since you're the verge of that slippery slope step, all because the customer has brought the wrong shoes. You're the cause and pain of a world of suffering, you're doing the bidding of another leader, you're the ignorant one, you're trying to jerk them around...but they'll remind you "it's not about the money!"

I get it, we're at this mysteriously kooky inflection point on a graph where On Average: there's a lot more demand than supply, the wage race to the bottom sucks, people don't want shitty jobs when there's better ones available (no, not everyone is on the dole), specific job expertise is lacking, prices/costs have gone up, retail service is quite low, and quality is decreasing. The sign or tag should be correct, or what's the point of doing business? It sure isn't the cashier's fault.

Knowing all of this while flashing our Erudite Expert Badge to other internet denizens, try to be an adult about it all.

kphoger

I think we all realize that.  But "The manager on duty also gave me the shoulder shrug" is a far cry from "Hey, everyone's human".  I frankly expect a lot more out of a manager than I do a cashier.
Male pronouns, please.

HighwayStar

Quote from: kphoger on April 14, 2022, 09:41:48 AM

I think we all realize that.  But "The manager on duty also gave me the shoulder shrug" is a far cry from "Hey, everyone's human".  I frankly expect a lot more out of a manager than I do a cashier.

I expect it out of both. I don't know when this country decided that half ass service from anyone in a store was acceptable, but when I worked retail it was not that way.

ethanhopkin14

I expect the manager to give me a smile.
Because he knows that it's me they've been coming to see
to forget about life for a while.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: HighwayStar on April 14, 2022, 10:40:53 AM

I expect it out of both. I don't know when this country decided that half ass service from anyone in a store was acceptable, but when I worked retail it was not that way.

I don't know, maybe it was that thing about being paid and treated fairly by the company that went by the wayside.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

HighwayStar

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 14, 2022, 10:41:42 AM

I expect the manager to give me a smile.
Because he knows that it's me they've been coming to see
to forget about life for a while.

Now that is something that never bothers me!

Though I prefer

Well, we're waiting here in Allentown
For the Pennsylvania we never found
For the promises our teachers gave
If we worked hard, if we behaved

So the graduations hang on the wall
But they never really helped us at all
No they never taught us what was real
Iron and coke, chromium steel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.