News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elsmere241

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 12, 2022, 07:43:40 PM
My digital kitchen scale, a cheap, not-particularly-accurate thing I got from Walmart, lets me convert between pounds, ounces, and grams. It's not that unusual, is it?

You'd think it wouldn't be here, where different things are measured differently, often by different people.

Bruce

Quote from: kkt on November 12, 2022, 07:41:41 PM
Translating recipes between countries is a pain.  Many British and European cookbooks measure in grams.  Many US cookbooks measure volume instead and hope for the best.  If a US kitchen has a scale at all it's probably in ounces.  A lot of ingredients have different names from their US name, or they have the same name but differ somehow.  Is British "plain flour" like US all purpose flour or pastry flour or bread flour?  Are their eggs the same size as ours? 

Have to also watch for the US pint/British pint difference. Having units of different sizes share the same name is very dumb.

kkt

I have a massively built cast iron baker's scale with a pan for what you're measuring and a plate for counterweights.  At the moment I have weights totalling 7 pounds, plus the fine adjustment arm gives ounces up to 8 pounds, but if I wanted to improvise more counterweights it could weigh more.

It was my mom's when I was a baby.  I was small as a baby, and my pediatrician wanted to be sure I was gaining weight, so mom weighed me on that scale every week.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kkt on November 12, 2022, 07:41:41 PMIs British "plain flour" like US all purpose flour or pastry flour or bread flour?  Are their eggs the same size as ours?

I think "plain flour" is used in contradistinction to self-raising flour.  The Wikipedia article on chicken egg sizes has details of sizing standards by country; the UK now uses European sizes (the old classes, from 0 to 7, are now obsolete), and they are close enough to those in the US that I would not worry about any differences for recipe purposes.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Big John

Also Britian uses different definitions for large numbers.  Million is the largest number which have the same definition.  1,000,000,000 is billion in America and milliard in Britain, then to confuse even more, 1,000,000,000,000 is trillion in America and billion in Britain.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Big John on November 13, 2022, 08:19:26 AM
Also Britian uses different definitions for large numbers.  Million is the largest number which have the same definition.  1,000,000,000 is billion in America and milliard in Britain, then to confuse even more, 1,000,000,000,000 is trillion in America and billion in Britain.

Not anymore. However, mainland Europe still does what you described.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

J N Winkler

This is the distinction between short and long scales.  The only real complication (when having to deal with documents that report currency amounts) is having to differentiate between foreign-language abbreviations for million and milliard (short-scale billion)--in German these are Mio. and Mrd. respectively.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kkt

Quote from: Big John on November 13, 2022, 08:19:26 AM

Pretty sure the special British use of Billion etc. is antique now.  The UK Treasury abandoned it sometime in the 1980s, if I remember right, and everyone else followed.

zachary_amaryllis

This is more specific to me:

I grab imagery from 3 radio towers near me, to assemble timelapse videos. To do this properly, the camera has to be pointed at the same thing, at the same time of day. I don't own these cameras, so I can't bitch a lot (or at all) but the people who own them periodically move them around, thus causing up-f--kage in my video.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

JoePCool14

When I need to get into a CAD file, but my co-worker leaves it open on his computer overnight.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

skluth

Quote from: Bruce on November 12, 2022, 11:30:52 PM
Translating recipes between countries is a pain.  Many British and European cookbooks measure in grams.  Many US cookbooks measure volume instead and hope for the best.  If a US kitchen has a scale at all it's probably in ounces.  A lot of ingredients have different names from their US name, or they have the same name but differ somehow.  Is British "plain flour" like US all purpose flour or pastry flour or bread flour?  Are their eggs the same size as ours? 

Have to also watch for the US pint/British pint difference. Having units of different sizes share the same name is very dumb.

I had no idea about this and I've ordered pints a couple times in pubs. Makes Merry even more a partier in LotR when he says "This, my friend, is a pint" to Pippin in the Prancing Pony.

kkt

Quote from: skluth on November 14, 2022, 05:27:34 PM
Quote from: Bruce on November 12, 2022, 11:30:52 PM

I had no idea about this and I've ordered pints a couple times in pubs. Makes Merry even more a partier in LotR when he says "This, my friend, is a pint" to Pippin in the Prancing Pony.

Yes.... after visiting England for the first time, returning home to the 12 US Oz. beers I was wondering who took the other half of my beer.

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 14, 2022, 05:09:52 PM
When I need to get into a CAD file, but my co-worker leaves it open on his computer overnight.

Wait, your OS locks the file for reading when someone else has it open? Not just writing?

Or is it the CAD program doing that? If the latter, you could use the OS file manager to copy it to a clean file name and access that. (Unless there's some sort of lock flag in the file itself, which would be a horribly botched design–suppose the coworker's computer loses power without ever releasing the file lock?)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kurumi

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 14, 2022, 06:42:41 PM

Wait, your OS locks the file for reading when someone else has it open? Not just writing?

Or is it the CAD program doing that? If the latter, you could use the OS file manager to copy it to a clean file name and access that. (Unless there's some sort of lock flag in the file itself, which would be a horribly botched design–suppose the coworker's computer loses power without ever releasing the file lock?)

Is the file under a revision control system? ISTR Microsoft SourceSafe was like that -- you check out a file for editing and no one else can check it in (this was about 20 years ago though). In that case, if the coworker spontaneously retires* with the laptop, a sysadmin can flip that bit on the server.

\* this did happen a few jobs ago -- a finance guy went to Mexico over the holidays and didn't come back. I assume he was OK and it wasn't like an Ambrose Bierce situation
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Scott5114

Source control has improved so much over the last 20 years that I would hope nobody's using a system as mindless as that in the year 2022...

LilianaUwU

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 13, 2022, 12:01:43 PM
This is the distinction between short and long scales.  The only real complication (when having to deal with documents that report currency amounts) is having to differentiate between foreign-language abbreviations for million and milliard (short-scale billion)--in German these are Mio. and Mrd. respectively.

Meanwhile, the abbreviation for milliard (billion in French) is G. Whyyyyyyy?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

CNGL-Leudimin

It comes from Giga, the SI prefix for billion.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Scott5114

Meanwhile, in the US, you sometimes see G as an abbreviation for 1000, from the slang term grand. This used to be more common in the past; nowadays K for kilo is more common.

JoePCool14

No, we can still open files to read and save an extra copy if we really wanted to. When I said getting into, I meant actually editing.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

vdeane

Quote from: kurumi on November 14, 2022, 11:07:28 PM

Is the file under a revision control system? ISTR Microsoft SourceSafe was like that -- you check out a file for editing and no one else can check it in (this was about 20 years ago though). In that case, if the coworker spontaneously retires* with the laptop, a sysadmin can flip that bit on the server.

\* this did happen a few jobs ago -- a finance guy went to Mexico over the holidays and didn't come back. I assume he was OK and it wasn't like an Ambrose Bierce situation
Reminds me of ProjectWise.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on November 15, 2022, 09:24:26 AM

No, we can still open files to read and save an extra copy if we really wanted to. When I said getting into, I meant actually editing.

I'd be really tempted to just work on a local copy of the file to do what I need to do and clobber the other dude's changes as soon as he releases the file lock. Serves him right for leaving the file locked overnight. :-D

Scott5114

I went to Taco Bell the other day and the total for two people was over $20.

Taco Bell isn't worth $20.

So I guess that was the last time I'll have Taco Bell.

The 21st century sucks.

jakeroot

I'm noticing USD getting weaker, or the Yen getting stronger. Exchange rate has not been in my favor the last week. Mid October, 1USD = 150 yen, now it's closer to 140 yen.

So, minor thing that bothers me: paying rent in another currency than the one you get paid in.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 16, 2022, 05:19:28 PM

The 21st century sucks.

Didn't back the future claim some stupid level of inflation where a quarter in 1985 became the equivalent to $100 by 2015?

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 16, 2022, 05:34:13 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on November 16, 2022, 05:19:28 PM

The 21st century sucks.

Didn't back the future claim some stupid level of inflation where a quarter in 1985 became the equivalent to $100 by 2015?

The other direction is seeming more likely now...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.