News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on December 11, 2022, 09:31:22 PM
Did your parents kick you out or something? I'm 23 and still live at home. I went to CUNY for free too, spending 5 figures on a degree was always out of the question for me. I will never understand why people put themselves in that great a debt. It's insane. My parents and I also saved enough just in case I couldn't go to free. Not a dime in debt and a good 29,000 in savings as of now. That lack of empathy for struggling Gen Z is part of the problem. Many of them work harder than their parents these days and are still bashed as lazy and selfish. I would propose a good 60% tax for social media stars however, some make $5,000,000 a year, and they'd still be able to live a lavish lifestyle with "only" $2 Million a year, for dancing around on tiktok. Tax shouldn't just be based on income but how useful your job is.

I'm fairly certain you directed this comment at me.  No, I wanted to move out when I was 18 and had planned on ways to do so for two-three years ahead of time.  My original plan was to enlist in the military but my brother owned a house in Phoenix and offered a room for at $300 a month.  I would have been stupid to stay in the Midwest with something easy like that sitting on the table.  All I had to do was get on the road from Lansing and drive across to Phoenix in the truck I bought in high school.  I ended up renting from my brother for about a year before I built up my credit enough to get my own apartment without a co-signer.

Also, I never took on student loan debt.  I was making $14 an hour working catching shoplifters by the time I turned 21 ($7.50 an hour doing the same thing when I started at Target in 2001).  A credit hour in Maricopa County community colleges was $80 at the time.  Once I could pay for 6-9 credit hours a semester I started going to school in my off hours from work.  I ended up getting a security manager job at Sears in 2005 but kept up with school as much as I could until 2008.  A year prior I bought a house and most of my spare time went into that. 

If you expect handouts (what you call empathy) you'll never succeed in your adult life.  The real problem is that you seem to know what you want to do but aren't willing to take the steps or risks necessary to do it.  The longer you stay out of the work force the more it is going to hurt you later in life.  Assuming your claim of having 29k in savings is accurate it's your failing that you haven't reinvested into career development.  But then again, fear and apathy regarding growing up isn't as exclusive to Gen-Z as you think it is.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 12, 2022, 12:06:56 AM
That lack of empathy for struggling Gen Z is part of the problem. Many of them work harder than their parents these days and are still bashed as lazy and selfish.

If you expect handouts (what you call empathy) you'll never succeed in your adult life.  The real problem is that you seem to know what you want to do but aren't willing to take the steps or risks necessary to do it. 

Eh, at a certain point you can try pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and all that does is break the bootstraps.

Both my wife and I are hard workers (my wife even more so than me because she has a chronic health condition that makes it difficult to work, but she forces herself to anyway). We bought our first house in 2017. We got lucky to find a plain, boring house that was reasonably priced after a few months of looking, but even with that we barely squeaked by and have been house poor ever since. If we hadn't been in a position to buy in 2017 and were trying to now, or if we lived in a more expensive market (i.e. anyplace other than Central Oklahoma), we never would have made it. We didn't do anything more or less right than anyone else, we just lucked out.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bm7

Tax shouldn't just be based on income but how useful your job is.
Who would decide how "useful" a job is? Besides, while I'm no fan of them, clearly people do think that influencers are useful. If they didn't, the people paying money to their Patreon or whatever would be spending their money on other entertainment instead, and the businesses giving them sponsorship deals would use their advertising money on things that would get them more sales.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 12, 2022, 12:43:10 AM
That lack of empathy for struggling Gen Z is part of the problem. Many of them work harder than their parents these days and are still bashed as lazy and selfish.

If you expect handouts (what you call empathy) you'll never succeed in your adult life.  The real problem is that you seem to know what you want to do but aren't willing to take the steps or risks necessary to do it. 

Eh, at a certain point you can try pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and all that does is break the bootstraps.

Both my wife and I are hard workers (my wife even more so than me because she has a chronic health condition that makes it difficult to work, but she forces herself to anyway). We bought our first house in 2017. We got lucky to find a plain, boring house that was reasonably priced after a few months of looking, but even with that we barely squeaked by and have been house poor ever since. If we hadn't been in a position to buy in 2017 and were trying to now, or if we lived in a more expensive market (i.e. anyplace other than Central Oklahoma), we never would have made it. We didn't do anything more or less right than anyone else, we just lucked out.

Yes, but let's not forget who's begging for sympathy.  We are talking about an adult living at home with his parents sitting on 29k and apparently some level of secondary education.  At some point even with education a person is going to need to enter the workforce and seek experience.  The real issue seems to be there is a generalized expectation by MMM that a secondary education should equate to instant career success.  The phenomenon of needing actual real world experience no matter the education isn't exactly new.  It doesn't seem MMM realizes this and is classifying it as agism/lack of empathy for Gen-Z. 

So yes paint me unsympathetic to the adult who lives at home, has some college experience and money to burn when they refuse to enter a career field from entry level.  I think a lot of us if given the same circumstances as MMM has right now would gladly take it if we were back in our early 20s and had no career experience.  Living paycheck to paycheck back then with no safety net sucked and I never want to repeat it even after all these years.

Regarding the economic conditions for buying a home versus income, that's a different story there.  When I bought my house in the Phoenix area circa 2007 the market was still somewhat affordable.  I make way more nowadays, but I don't think that I could reasonably afford a decent home in the Phoenix market anymore given how the real estate market ballooned.  But then again, that was a huge part of the reason I bailed on Phoenix in 2013 post-recession for Florida.   

Scott5114

I'll drink to that, I suppose. I've never had $29,000 in cash in my life. Any time I've gotten close, I've invested it in starting a business or buying my house.

That being said, $29,000 wouldn't even cover the down payment on a house in Norman these days, much less anywhere else.

Max Rockatansky

Like you said, $29,000 certainly would go a long way towards reinvesting into career development.  I would imagine breaking into the short haul trucking industry driving for someone who owns the truck wouldn't make a significant dent in those savings.  Maybe with some experience some of that 29k could eventually go back into becoming an owner/operator years down the road?  Just putting the money into actual investments in the meantime is better than letting it sit in a savings account.

mgk920

And some Anglican congregations worldwide have recently gone as far as to re-unify with the Vatican, their vicars were accepted as priests in the Catholic Church, even if marred.  IIRC, the main issues involved the ordination of women and homosexuals.

Mike

signalman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 12, 2022, 01:02:03 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 12, 2022, 12:43:10 AM

Yes, but let's not forget who's begging for sympathy.  We are talking about an adult living at home with his parents sitting on 29k and apparently some level of secondary education.  At some point even with education a person is going to need to enter the workforce and seek experience.  The real issue seems to be there is a generalized expectation by MMM that a secondary education should equate to instant career success.  The phenomenon of needing actual real world experience no matter the education isn't exactly new.  It doesn't seem MMM realizes this and is classifying it as agism/lack of empathy for Gen-Z. 

So yes paint me unsympathetic to the adult who lives at home, has some college experience and money to burn when they refuse to enter a career field from entry level.  I think a lot of us if given the same circumstances as MMM has right now would gladly take it if we were back in our early 20s and had no career experience.  Living paycheck to paycheck back then with no safety net sucked and I never want to repeat it even after all these years.

Regarding the economic conditions for buying a home versus income, that's a different story there.  When I bought my house in the Phoenix area circa 2007 the market was still somewhat affordable.  I make way more nowadays, but I don't think that I could reasonably afford a decent home in the Phoenix market anymore given how the real estate market ballooned.  But then again, that was a huge part of the reason I bailed on Phoenix in 2013 post-recession for Florida.   
Depending on the line of work even some entry level jobs prefer some experience. Certainly with commercial truck driving that experience has to come from a low paying entry level transporter, like Swift. I agree with Max that holding out for some big break isn't viable or reasonable. Like him, I'd suggest sucking it up for a few years and get the experience necessary to move on to more desirable working conditions and hours. You're young, you're far more resilient and adaptable than someone like me who's almost twice your age, MMM. Believe me, time moves pretty fast and before you know it you will get older and less willing to adapt. Suck up the crappy working conditions now and keep in mind it's not forever and you'll thank yourself in the future.

Scott5114

The fact that when I pay Amazon an absurd yearly rate for free two-day delivery, they sit on the order for a week or two, then deliver it two days after that and pat themselves on the back for completing a two-day delivery.

It's even worse this time of year. Just because everyone is ordering unnecessary horseshit for each other doesn't mean that I should have to give up on replacing things that break and ordering office supplies.

I buy things infrequently enough I might just let my subscription lapse. If I have to wait two weeks, I can just get whatever it is while I'm out grocery shopping.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 11, 2022, 11:11:22 PM
That lack of empathy for struggling Gen Z is part of the problem.
Interview with me and I'll have two questions:  Why the gap in your work experience, and what is your experience?  Maybe you're out of college for a few years.  Maybe you can explain the "struggle" of trying to find a job.  But most people conducting interviews knows what's out there.  There's plenty of people with the qualifications.  We aren't taking everyone we talk with.

If you're going for an entry level position, we're willing to overlook certain things based on your interview and how you conduct yourself.  But if you're going for a position that most people would need a few promotions to obtain, or need a few year's experience, you won't even make it on the long list of resumes to review if you don't show any relevant history for us.
Just curious - what's your take on when people explain the gap in the employment? Mine was 'incarcerated for 15 years' (thank you for not asking why, not looking for a job). Am I automatically out, or is there still wiggle room? That's been my struggle. I'm doing well now, but it wasn't always the case. When they talk about labor shortages, there's a huge pool of labor that's willing to work, but can't get hired because the background check kicks the applications out before a human sees them. I was lucky enough to find a pizza joint that was like 'ok, you were locked up. can you drive you car?' and a business owner that's willing to give people a chance. Now I do remote work, though it might tank, and if so, I can call the pizza joint.
I understand concerns about felons - dude's gonna rip me off, etc. etc., but it's not really different from hiring anyone else. The only difference, is you know the ex-con has already did something. A 'regular' person, well, you just don't know what they've been up to, or are capable of.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

roadman65

When people on here ( well not all) seem to crap their pants when Clearview fonts are used on guidesigns.

Considering how we try to educate certain users on not going overboard with ideas and suggestions, we ourselves go overboard with road agencies who still want to use the fonts they are suggested not to use by the feds.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JoePCool14

Quote from: roadman65 on December 12, 2022, 08:21:43 AM
When people on here ( well not all) seem to crap their pants when Clearview fonts are used on guidesigns.

Considering how we try to educate certain users on not going overboard with ideas and suggestions, we ourselves go overboard with road agencies who still want to use the fonts they are suggested not to use by the feds.

Wait, so I should put down the pitchforks?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

roadman65

I mean what's the deal how they write it as long as it's written.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Quote from: roadman65 on December 12, 2022, 09:05:20 AM

(Edited to replace text with meme template)

roadman65

Quote from: webny99 on December 12, 2022, 10:38:36 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 12, 2022, 09:05:20 AM

Roadman 65   :handshake:  craIG county
      not caring how it looks as long as it's written

Whatever.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 12, 2022, 08:18:11 AM
Interview with me and I'll have two questions:  Why the gap in your work experience, and what is your experience?  Maybe you're out of college for a few years.  Maybe you can explain the "struggle" of trying to find a job.  But most people conducting interviews knows what's out there.  There's plenty of people with the qualifications.  We aren't taking everyone we talk with.

If you're going for an entry level position, we're willing to overlook certain things based on your interview and how you conduct yourself.  But if you're going for a position that most people would need a few promotions to obtain, or need a few year's experience, you won't even make it on the long list of resumes to review if you don't show any relevant history for us.
Just curious - what's your take on when people explain the gap in the employment? Mine was 'incarcerated for 15 years' (thank you for not asking why, not looking for a job). Am I automatically out, or is there still wiggle room? That's been my struggle. I'm doing well now, but it wasn't always the case. When they talk about labor shortages, there's a huge pool of labor that's willing to work, but can't get hired because the background check kicks the applications out before a human sees them. I was lucky enough to find a pizza joint that was like 'ok, you were locked up. can you drive you car?' and a business owner that's willing to give people a chance. Now I do remote work, though it might tank, and if so, I can call the pizza joint.
I understand concerns about felons - dude's gonna rip me off, etc. etc., but it's not really different from hiring anyone else. The only difference, is you know the ex-con has already did something. A 'regular' person, well, you just don't know what they've been up to, or are capable of.

Depends greatly on the circumstances through which someone has a work history gap.  Years ago one of my security supervisors out of the blue told me he once went to prison for two years for assault when he was 19.  It never came up when I did his background check because it was 14 years in the past, we only went back 7 years at the time.  His resume had a gap around that his 19-22 year old time frame but it wasn't something too notable given how far back it was.  I never had an issue from the guy aside from him being maybe too opinionated.  Apparently he became a bounty hunter and bouncer around the age of 22 after getting out of prison.

So if you're looking for an opinion if I think it's unfair that convicted felons are basically job pariahs for 7-10 years, I can't give you a universal answer.  Depending the crime committed, absolutely it can be unfair.  Some criminal offenses like drug crimes and petty theft have tended to carry in my opinion way too strict of sentences.  For more serious charges like rape, assault and other acts of violence I think it is unreasonable for an employer to not want to hire someone with those convictions in  the 7-10 year aftermath. 

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 12, 2022, 02:35:01 AMThe fact that when I pay Amazon an absurd yearly rate for free two-day delivery, they sit on the order for a week or two, then deliver it two days after that and pat themselves on the back for completing a two-day delivery.

It's even worse this time of year. Just because everyone is ordering unnecessary horseshit for each other doesn't mean that I should have to give up on replacing things that break and ordering office supplies.

I buy things infrequently enough I might just let my subscription lapse. If I have to wait two weeks, I can just get whatever it is while I'm out grocery shopping.

I have never had Amazon Prime.  This said, I rarely buy time-sensitive stuff from Amazon, so I can use a 25- or 50-count spindle of recordable Blu-rays to pad out each order that doesn't otherwise meet the free shipping threshold.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 12, 2022, 12:06:34 PM
For more serious charges like rape, assault and other acts of violence I think it is unreasonable for an employer to not want to hire someone with those convictions in  the 7-10 year aftermath. 

These are tricky to deal with. As someone that believes in second chances and being open-minded in general, I would want to help someone get back on their feet who had already paid the price for what they did as far as the state's concerned. On the other hand, should the person reoffend, while I could write off a theft or something like that, another employee getting assaulted or raped causes harm that isn't so easily fixed. And I would feel pretty bad about one of my employees getting raped because that I put that person there knowing the person had a history as a rapist.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 12, 2022, 12:06:34 PM
Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on December 12, 2022, 08:18:11 AM

Depends greatly on the circumstances through which someone has a work history gap.  Years ago one of my security supervisors out of the blue told me he once went to prison for two years for assault when he was 19.  It never came up when I did his background check because it was 14 years in the past, we only went back 7 years at the time.  His resume had a gap around that his 19-22 year old time frame but it wasn't something too notable given how far back it was.  I never had an issue from the guy aside from him being maybe too opinionated.  Apparently he became a bounty hunter and bouncer around the age of 22 after getting out of prison.

So if you're looking for an opinion if I think it's unfair that convicted felons are basically job pariahs for 7-10 years, I can't give you a universal answer.  Depending the crime committed, absolutely it can be unfair.  Some criminal offenses like drug crimes and petty theft have tended to carry in my opinion way too strict of sentences.  For more serious charges like rape, assault and other acts of violence I think it is unreasonable for an employer to not want to hire someone with those convictions in  the 7-10 year aftermath.
That's probably the most 'real' answer I've ever had to that question. Thanks.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

hbelkins

I've often seen references to people being influencers, opinion leaders, and thought leaders. Heck, one person I know (the son of a now-retired coworker) works professionally as an expert on influence marketing. (Look up books written by Jason Falls.)

I'd like to have a gig doing something like that.

Quote from: Hunty2022 on December 11, 2022, 11:14:43 PM
When I take a picture of any sign while going 70+ mph on an interstate, just for the photo to delay when it gets taken, so I just get an image of grass and trees.

That is one advantage that a film camera had, has, and always will have over a digital camera. When you press the shutter, it will take the picture. I have yet to own a digital camera that doesn't occasionally have a lag to the point where when you press the shutter, the camera has to think about it before it snaps the photo.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on December 12, 2022, 09:02:06 PM
That is one advantage that a film camera had, has, and always will have over a digital camera. When you press the shutter, it will take the picture. I have yet to own a digital camera that doesn't occasionally have a lag to the point where when you press the shutter, the camera has to think about it before it snaps the photo.

Honestly, DSLRs rarely have this problem. Point-and-shoots have much more lag if not fully manually-controlled, and creates sacrifices to achieve whatever directive the user has prioritized. And if we're going to compare a Canon 1V or Nikon F6 film camera to the ground-floor DSLRs, there will be some benefits to those aforementioned titans of film cameras.

The biggest mistake I usually cause is a lack of focus; either because I manually set the focus point away from the desired subject, and forgot to move the setting back after shooting an entirely different subject matter or in different conditions. That could occur with a film camera with the ability to set desired autofocus points, though autofocus for SLR cameras is only about 35-40 years old, and the ability to change focus points is a relatively new feature.

The other is when a type of lens doesn't focus on moving subjects as well; in the Canon realm, the USM lenses are a bit sharper, but they have a tendency to re-think their desired subject if there's any motion, or it wants to recalculate distance from the sensor plane to the subject. When the object or photographer is moving, the lens does cause some blurry shots. But I've found that preparing for the focus a half-second sooner provides the autofocus time delay it needs, or by giving it a narrower aperture to give more clearance for parallax and creating sharper shots. This is sometimes at the expense of cranking up the ISO a notch so the shutter speed and f/stop are desirable for sharpness. Interestingly, I've found some of the cheaper (non-USM) lenses don't seem to have this issue; but only in the sense of a specific road-going-photography purpose; you'd almost always want them for almost any other type of photography.

The last bugaboo is the type of autofocus setting: I have three types, ONE SHOT, AI FOCUS, and AI SERVO...while you'd figure the one for moving subjects (AI Servo) would work better, that's not the case if the photographer is also moving. The first setting (ONE SHOT) is best for roadgeekery, but the last one is better for objects that move, so as long as I am stationary. (I haven't found any particular roadgeek-use for AI Focus, since it alternates between the two. My camera's technology is approaching 15 years old, so maybe that's improved.) Sometimes I leave it in the incorrect setting and that also gets bothersome.

If they don't take the photo, it's for the same reasons a film camera wouldn't take the photo: batteries drained, autofocus left in manual setting [arrggh!], damage/wear to camera or lens, but maybe only some electrical short or interference would be at play after that...and it's fair to say a film camera probably has a lot less electronics inside of them. But even the Canon AE-1, which dated from the mid-1970s, had an internal microprocessor for light metering.

At least you don't have the problem of a film spool being improperly wound inside the camera, an accidental double-exposure, or pesky film light leaks, anymore.

(Wow, the Canon 1V was only $600. Wished I bought a new one.)

Max Rockatansky

Did MMM come back on today to delete his last couple posts in this thread?  Seems like he missed the fact that some of us already quoted his more choice statements.

Hunty2022

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 12, 2022, 09:39:11 PM
Did MMM come back on today to delete his last couple posts in this thread?  Seems like he missed the fact that some of us already quoted his more choice statements.

A few hours ago, I saw that his post count was down to 1000 on the spot. Yesterday it was around 1002.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Hunty2022 on December 12, 2022, 09:56:32 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 12, 2022, 09:39:11 PM

A few hours ago, I saw that his post count was down to 1000 on the spot. Yesterday it was around 1002.

I guess he didn't get the sympathy he was looking for. 

roadman65

He hasn't posted in his thread dedicated to him since the third of the month. He got my serious thread locked already. He was posting regularly in the thread about two digits being removed.

I don't know what's up with him.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.