AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PA Turnpike News  (Read 592764 times)

ARMOURERERIC

• Last Login: Today at 10:31:45 PM
Re: PA Turnpike News
« Reply #2425 on: April 20, 2020, 10:28:51 PM »

I thought the game plan was that when the Southern Beltway was fully complete that the PTC was running 576 all the way to monroeville.

Alps

• Everybody Obeys the Octagon

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 10:13:03 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #2426 on: April 20, 2020, 11:00:43 PM »

If you think Turnpike 66 was a waste, let me introduce you to the Mon-Fayette Expressway which gets half the traffic.

Turnpike 43 had very low traffic volumes before the section to I-68 south of the Pennsylvania/West Virginia border was completed.  Have they gone up since that section opened?

Somewhat, but it's still lowly traveled on the toll section (about 7500 ADT). You can see on the traffic counts there are several thousand cars a day bypassing the toll part and then getting back on.

Do the projected traffic volumes on 43 south of PA-51 increase with a connection to I-376?

Probably not much until you get a tie-in with the Southern Beltway. For traffic coming from Morgantown/Uniontown, it's still better to take US 119 to the Turnpike to I-376 if you're going to Monroeville. If you're heading towards downtown, I think PA 51 would still be better since you'd avoid Squirrel Hill Tunnel and going out of the way. Once the Southern Beltway is built, this would be useful as a bypass of downtown for people coming from the Washington County area.

If Turnpike 43 gets an Interstate designation (which it very well may), what would it be? X68? X70? X76? X79?
I don't think anything without a 76 is going to be upgraded.

Bitmapped

• Last Login: Today at 01:27:46 PM
« Reply #2427 on: April 20, 2020, 11:46:09 PM »

If Turnpike 43 gets an Interstate designation (which it very well may), what would it be? X68? X70? X76? X79?

There are some issues where design variances or upgrades would be needed to meet Interstate status. The Uniontown bypass would likely need interchange upgrades, a high-speed interchange would need to be built at I-68, and some of the bridges in WV might need full-width shoulders added. If the road gets an Interstate designation, I would image it would be x76 but I don't know that's really high on anyone's priority list.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:42:07 AM by Alps »

Roadsguy

• Last Login: Today at 11:05:38 PM
« Reply #2428 on: April 21, 2020, 01:07:46 AM »

I thought the game plan was that when the Southern Beltway was fully complete that the PTC was running 576 all the way to monroeville.

IIRC, that was the plan originally, with 43 following the western leg toward downtown and 576 following the eastern leg to Monroeville. With the cancellation of the western leg, though, they may end 576 at 43.

Hwy 61 Revisited

• Where does that highway go to?

• Last Login: Today at 11:05:23 PM
« Reply #2429 on: April 21, 2020, 11:42:18 PM »

IIRC, that was the plan originally, with 43 following the western leg toward downtown and 576 following the eastern leg to Monroeville. With the cancellation of the western leg, though, they may end 576 at 43.

There will be no more of the Southern Beltway. AFAIK, the Beltway will be ending at 43. Not every Interstate spur needs to connect with its parent; 576 already connects to 376.

ARMOURERERIC

• Last Login: Today at 10:31:45 PM
« Reply #2430 on: May 09, 2020, 09:55:26 PM »

While looking over the PTC Design and Construction site this evening, I note that the mainline MP 28 to MP 31 project indicates that it went out to bid in December, contract has been awarded and NTP given in March, this a total mainline reconstruction to 6 lanes from the Cranberry Interchange to the Warrendale  mainline booths.

rickmastfan67

• The Invisible One

• I want I-67 in PA!!!!

• Last Login: Today at 08:51:14 PM
« Reply #2431 on: May 09, 2020, 11:41:04 PM »

While looking over the PTC Design and Construction site this evening, I note that the mainline MP 28 to MP 31 project indicates that it went out to bid in December, contract has been awarded and NTP given in March, this a total mainline reconstruction to 6 lanes from the Cranberry Interchange to the Warrendale  mainline booths.

Hopefully they'll somehow increase the clearance some for US-19 under the turnpike then.
https://goo.gl/maps/woz3oxfuZH9w8RGx9

Crown Victoria

• Last Login: Today at 08:06:30 PM
« Reply #2432 on: May 12, 2020, 08:08:43 PM »

Update regarding the PTC's (and PennDOT's) current financial difficulties due to the pandemic:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/transportation/2020/05/12/PennDOT-Pennsylvania-Turnpike-COVID-19-push-bacck-projects-roads-bridges/stories/202005120111

(Also posted on the Pennsylvania thread)

MASTERNC

• Last Login: Today at 07:48:11 PM
« Reply #2433 on: May 23, 2020, 01:44:54 PM »

Drove on the Turnpike for the first time since they went cashless temporarily.  For the first time, all of the cash/ticket lanes on the mainline Turnpike are mixed mode (tickets or E-ZPass), whereas the exit lanes were previously Cash Only or E-ZPass Only.  IMO they should always have been mixed mode lanes to avoid all the jockeying at the toll plazas (like NJ and NY have done).  Hopefully they stay that way in preparation for the cashless tolling conversion.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 06:44:20 PM
« Reply #2434 on: May 23, 2020, 02:56:07 PM »

Drove on the Turnpike for the first time since they went cashless temporarily.  For the first time, all of the cash/ticket lanes on the mainline Turnpike are mixed mode (tickets or E-ZPass), whereas the exit lanes were previously Cash Only or E-ZPass Only.  IMO they should always have been mixed mode lanes to avoid all the jockeying at the toll plazas (like NJ and NY have done).  Hopefully they stay that way in preparation for the cashless tolling conversion.

It should be EZ Pass only or mixed mode. Purpose of EZ Pass is to keep moving. If you have all the lanes set to mixed mode you won't know if the person in front will stop or not.

Hwy 61 Revisited

• Where does that highway go to?

• Last Login: Today at 11:05:23 PM
« Reply #2435 on: May 23, 2020, 03:05:20 PM »

It should be EZ Pass only or mixed mode. Purpose of EZ Pass is to keep moving. If you have all the lanes set to mixed mode you won't know if the person in front will stop or not.

The Mass Pike has already done this. Why not Pennsylvania?

MASTERNC

• Last Login: Today at 07:48:11 PM
« Reply #2436 on: May 23, 2020, 06:01:08 PM »

There are still E-ZPass Only lanes. The mixed mode lanes are new since cashless tolling was temporarily enabled. While you do have to be prepared to stop for a cash customer (even though each plaza has digital signs to keep moving), it does save you from having to cut across lanes if you arenít near an E-ZPass Only lane and you canít go through a cash lane. NY had all its cash lanes mixed mode from Day 1 and even NJ changed to mixed mode a few years back. Canít think of another E-ZPass agency that doesnít have all its cash lanes mixed mode.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 06:44:20 PM
« Reply #2437 on: May 24, 2020, 12:43:29 AM »

There are still E-ZPass Only lanes. The mixed mode lanes are new since cashless tolling was temporarily enabled. While you do have to be prepared to stop for a cash customer (even though each plaza has digital signs to keep moving), it does save you from having to cut across lanes if you arenít near an E-ZPass Only lane and you canít go through a cash lane. NY had all its cash lanes mixed mode from Day 1 and even NJ changed to mixed mode a few years back. Canít think of another E-ZPass agency that doesnít have all its cash lanes mixed mode.

All of the DRPA bridges don't use mixed-mode.

The mixed-used lanes on the NJ Turnpike have certainly helped, as the usage rate is so high, especially at rush hour.

RobbieL2415

• Last Login: Today at 04:54:42 PM
« Reply #2438 on: Today at 12:17:43 AM »

It looks like a current style NJTP VMS is going up near the former toll plaza at the Delaware River Bridge going East. Saw the footings already in place, and the VMS laying in the former toll plaza convergance point.

There was a classic-style neon NJTP VMS still standing just after the toll plaza, at least when I was last there to check out the I-95 connection. I think it was the last neon NJTP VMS still standing, but it clearly hadn't been maintained in years, so I don't know when it was last used. It was removed sometime between October 2018 and September 2019. Apparently the NJTA still wants a VMS there.
Can confirm this was removed.  Drove that segment of I-95 last July.  Before that I drove it in January (same year) and it was still up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.