Google launches Map Maker in the U.S!

Started by Dr Frankenstein, April 19, 2011, 12:32:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: CL on May 20, 2011, 08:27:15 PM
So if I wanted to add a state highway shield to a road, what would I do? Add "S.R. 175" or "State Highway 175"...?

No, you have to put it like this:

"Pennsylvania 28" and select the "numbered" category. ;)

=====

On another note, just OWNED one of Google's Mods. :sombrero:  This had to deal with the very short freeway segment of PA-28 around I-279.  Got them to approve one direction (Northbound), but still waiting for a review of the Southbound direction.  But here's the comments:

Quote from: Google Reviewer jakkamHi, as we could see that the segment selected connects 2 different roads and does not travel for longer distance and it cannot be considered as a free way and there is no physical divider present in this road so the divider attribute remains as no divider.Please undo the edits and Please refer to this link http://goo.gl/dt60w for more information on road priorities. Thanks for mapping.

Quote from: meI've changed the "divider" part (even though it has one farther down...), but I WILL NOT change the priority from Freeway. PennDOT (the OWNER of this road) considers it as a freeway. If you would have taken 5 seconds to download that PDF I linked to in a comment I made (here's the link again: ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BPR_pdf_files/Maps/GHS/Roadnames/allegheny_GHSN.pdf ) and zoom in on the Pittsburgh insert, you would see I was correct. jakkam, do you even live in the USA?

Quote from: Google Reviewer DiegoHello and thanks for mapping with Google. Upon further inspection I have discovered that this is in fact a freeway and it is 35 mph. Thanks again for all your efforts, feel free to add any additional info that might make maps better.

PWNED! :clap: :sombrero:

Alps

They put a hole in the middle of Clyde Fant Pkwy. in Shreveport. They've done so much wrong since this project started that I tell people to use Bing or Yahoo.

mightyace

I made my proposed changes to make Google Navigation more accurate on Android phones and pads.

I don't know their aversion to accurate speed limits as most stand alone GPSes have this feature.

Makes me want to consider buying some GPS software for my Droid!
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

vdeane

Quote from: mightyace on May 23, 2011, 03:41:50 AMI don't know their aversion to accurate speed limits as most stand alone GPSes have this feature.
Indeed - why even bother to have the field if you won't use it?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PAHighways

I knew I was going to get questioned when added a new road near me that was built after the satellite pictures were taken, because it cuts through the buildings that are in the picture.

I should have replied "yes it is open to traffic, but I didn't take Quebec Route 366 to get to it!"

agentsteel53

so who managed to sneak the absurd Quebec 366 routing through the moderators?  I saw it when looking at I-84/US-30 in Oregon!  :-D
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Bickendan

Geez, I'm surprised that my changes have gone through. And those were a pain to do.

mukade

I made several corrections and all but one seem to have been approved except one which was denied. Even though it corrects an omission, trusted reviewer Erick R. denied the change. Does anyone have any idea how you can appeal an error by the reviewer?

rickmastfan67

This is why Google Maps / Map Maker is failing:

Quote from: Google Reviewer RaviHi, Interstate 381 must be called a freeway conversationally, but the methods of marking a freeway on map maker are different. There are no crossroads or stops on freeways, and they're only accessible by ramps. Please check this link for further understanding http://goo.gl/FDrR4. The priority 'Regional Highway' would be more appropriate. Thanks for your interest!

http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=55&editids=tArDX5SeG1qkRovgL3

:banghead: :pan: :pan: :banghead:

mightyace

^^^

That's more evidence to my theory that Google's reviews may be in India.  In any case, they are obviously not familiar with the areas they are talking about.

Even so, a look at their own StreetViewTM in a case like this would show how silly that was.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alex

Quote from: mightyace on June 29, 2011, 06:35:23 AM
^^^

That's more evidence to my theory that Google's reviews may be in India.  In any case, they are obviously not familiar with the areas they are talking about.

Even so, a look at their own StreetViewTM in a case like this would show how silly that was.

The only way a change that involves new infrastructure is approved is if they can see road work in GSV. If the streetview images are old, forget about your changes, they will toss them out. I gave up on making more changes, its not worth the idiotic logic that is used in the responses for denying them (I-381 taking the cake).

corco

I figure it's not worth my time to help a giant corporation make money if they don't want to hear correct answers. No sense in fighting it- it'll just cost them money in the long run.

CL

For the love, US-89 shields are still missing. It's a sad day when one can say a Microsoft product is better than a Google product (aka Bing vs. Google Maps).
Infrastructure. The city.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on June 28, 2011, 06:01:58 AM
This is why Google Maps / Map Maker is failing:

Quote from: Google Reviewer RaviHi, Interstate 381 must be called a freeway conversationally, but the methods of marking a freeway on map maker are different. There are no crossroads or stops on freeways, and they're only accessible by ramps. Please check this link for further understanding http://goo.gl/FDrR4. The priority 'Regional Highway' would be more appropriate. Thanks for your interest!

http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=55&editids=tArDX5SeG1qkRovgL3

:banghead: :pan: :pan: :banghead:

VICTORY!!!  :clap: :clap:
I-381 is now a freeway like it should be in Google. :-D

Thank you "Google Reviewer RK" and "John". (NOTE: They also approved the other dirrection as a freeway as well. :))

Quote from: JohnDefinitely closer to a freeway rather than a major artery. It's a limited-access highway - a short one, but it is one nonetheless. The only thing I'd reconsider is the decision between "freeway" and "expressway" - this is not a full-blown multi-lane, limited access, exit-by-exit freeway built for high capacity and high speed. But it's absolutely not just a "major artery." Also, should the Commonwealth Ave name be removed from this portion? It seems that once you cross Keys Street northbound, you drop the Commonwealth Ave name and it becomes I-381 exclusively. But I defer to you - you have the local knowledge, is this the case? Seems odd to have an Interstate highway share a street name, that's all. Finally, let's remove the "divider" designation from this edit. Yes, there is a grass median, but in GMaps, the "divider" tag is used when a single line on the map represents traffic in both directions. This is not the case here, it's been split into two one-way lines, like many other major highways. Per the "Road attributes" help page, follow the instruction it gives - "For roads that are split into two one-way segments and separated by a divider, select 'No divider.'" Thanks for mapping!

Quote from: Approved on Jul 6, 2011 6:44am by Google Reviewer RK
Hi, I agree with John; will make changes as hinted by him.

TwinsMetsFan

Here's another reason why Map Maker is failing.

At the moment, Google has NY 31A continuing eastward past its current terminus at NY 31 to its pre-1980s end at NY 19 south of Brockport (link). When I tried to remove NY 31A from that segment, I got this:

Quote from: Google Reviewer JayCee
Thank you for your edit. My resources show signs that seem to indicate that this road is still State highway 31. Can you please clarify why you think this route name should be removed? Thanks!

Um, I wasn't trying to remove NY 31...  :banghead:

At least I successfully got rid of that phantom NY 28B that I talked about in the "Incorrect highways..." thread.

FLRoads

I'm pretty much done with Map Maker, after my latest denial. I submitted a deletion of a state road that has not existed in Lee County, Florida since the late 1970's and was denied by two people who claim that the number still exists!!  :banghead: Um, no, this route number has been replaced. So I objected my denial and wrote a comment to the two reviewers. Just one more reason to not use this stupid Map Maker. I hope it fails...

algorerhythms

I noticed today that Google Maps is finally showing the correct alignment for US 77 in Norman, Oklahoma, months after I had given up on trying to get it right in Map Maker.

NE2

Looks like someone changed the expressways near San Jose to freeways...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dr Frankenstein

Just passing by to say that Canada has just been added to the mappable countries!

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bickendan

I guess its time to mark all of the Alaska Highway as US 97...

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Bickendan on October 24, 2011, 11:26:28 PM
I bet ya some idiot will try that, and the stupid Google Mods will approve it. :pan:

agentsteel53

my GPS thinks the old alignment of the Alaska Highway in Dawson Creek, BC is "US Highway 97 Road".
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

vdeane

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 24, 2011, 11:28:13 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on October 24, 2011, 11:26:28 PM
I bet ya some idiot will try that, and the stupid Google Mods will approve it. :pan:
We'll see.  I have this strange perception that Google has been getting more accurate lately... maybe the incident with the private driveway being marked as a national park entrance has finally forced them to adopt some quality control... or maybe the idiots have left NY.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

If anyone wants to mess with them, change all the freeways in Wyoming to "national highway". Sources:
Quote from: http://www.google.com/support/mapmaker/bin/static.py?page=guide.cs&guide=1094314&topic=1094373&answer=1098056
Freeway: [...] Walking or biking not allowed
Quote from: http://www.dot.state.wy.us/webdav/site/wydot/shared/Planning/Wyoming%20Bicycle%20&%20Pedestrian%20Transportation%20Plan.pdf p. 9
Bicycles are legally classified as vehicles and can be ridden on all public roadways in Wyoming, although they are discouraged from riding on interstate highways.

:bigass:
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.