AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Wisconsin notes  (Read 497062 times)

dvferyance

• Last Login: October 16, 2020, 10:04:54 PM
Re: Wisconsin notes
« Reply #2900 on: June 11, 2020, 05:33:25 PM »

WIDOT doesn't do a lot of route changes, and when they do I don't think people get all that confused.  Most people navigate by GPS these days and that helps people figure those things out.
If your outside of Waukesha County I would agree but here we have one section of road that has 3 different designations in less than 2 decades. That says there has been too many changes around here.

What stretch is that?

And you have to know those are exceptions.  And considering Waukesha County's growth, a lot of those changes do make sense.

I think he's talking about the Les Paul Pkwy: 18/59/164
Nope that is a triplex and that road has always at least been 59 since the Waukesha bypass was built. I am talking about a road that has had 3 different numbers or letters in the last 2 decades and that goes to Hwy F from Capitol Dr to Main st in Sussex. It was 164 until 1999 then 74 until 2016 and now F. Not to mention 164 south of Waukesha was once F. So 164 used to be F and F used to be 164 how crazy is that? I am sure you can't find another example of that anywhere else.

SEWIGuy

• Last Login: October 05, 2020, 07:52:39 PM
« Reply #2901 on: June 11, 2020, 05:52:49 PM »

WIDOT doesn't do a lot of route changes, and when they do I don't think people get all that confused.  Most people navigate by GPS these days and that helps people figure those things out.
If your outside of Waukesha County I would agree but here we have one section of road that has 3 different designations in less than 2 decades. That says there has been too many changes around here.

What stretch is that?

And you have to know those are exceptions.  And considering Waukesha County's growth, a lot of those changes do make sense.

Nope that is a triplex and that road has always at least been 59 since the Waukesha bypass was built. I am talking about a road that has had 3 different numbers or letters in the last 2 decades and that goes to Hwy F from Capitol Dr to Main st in Sussex. It was 164 until 1999 then 74 until 2016 and now F. Not to mention 164 south of Waukesha was once F. So 164 used to be F and F used to be 164 how crazy is that? I am sure you can't find another example of that anywhere else.

Are these changes creating confusion or do you just not like change?  IMO this is how highway systems evolve, especially in high growth areas.

thspfc

• I-180 in Wyoming >>>>> I-70 in Colorado

• Last Login: October 29, 2020, 09:29:38 PM
« Reply #2902 on: June 12, 2020, 04:28:43 PM »

My dumb ass thought it'd be 'fine' to roll US 51 SB by Tomahawk on Memorial Day while it's down to two lanes for the full depth pavement reconstruction of the SB carriageway.  It was not.  Won't make that weekend mistake again this summer until that is done.
Pretty sure the traffic jam overloaded the cell towers in the area because neither me nor my cousin could load data worth a damn to see how bad it was ahead.
The road being closed tricked the traffic status on the goog.
That road is always backed up on Memorial Day. From Minocqua to Wausau, then again from Portage to Madison and beyond - probably all the way to Rockford, but I've never taken it that far on a holiday.
Donate today to support the construction of I-19 from Ocean City, MD to Portland, OR.

dvferyance

« Reply #2903 on: July 06, 2020, 03:26:54 PM »

What stretch is that?

Are these changes creating confusion or do you just not like change?  IMO this is how highway systems evolve, especially in high growth areas.
Little of both really I don't mind a few changes here and there every once in a great while but for them to keep doing it every few years get's to be too much. At least the good news is I don't see any further changes in Waukesha County in the coming years. I don't see what would be changed. The only thing I could see is a few local roads promoted to county highways as the county grows and some minor roads become more major but I see no future candidates with swaps between the state and the county.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 03:31:54 PM by dvferyance »

dvferyance

« Reply #2904 on: July 06, 2020, 03:30:53 PM »

I checked out the new Elm Road interchange today. I noticed Elm Road does not go through to the east to 13th street. That is too bad because it would provide some relief to Ryan Road with the new Amazon plant. It does appear I was right and they are keeping the southern terminus of WI-241 at 7 Mile Road as I thought which I think is a good idea myself instead of turning it onto Elm and ending it at the interchange. I am kind of surprised they did not put a traffic light at 27th and Elm but I guess there isn't enough traffic to warrant one. The 4 way stop should be sufficient enough.

Big John

• Last Login: October 28, 2020, 02:37:37 PM
« Reply #2905 on: July 08, 2020, 05:19:01 PM »

Gov. Evers wants to revive the !-94 East-West freeway project.

https://www.wpr.org/evers-wants-revive-i-94-east-west-expansion

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 01:13:37 PM
« Reply #2906 on: July 08, 2020, 11:11:28 PM »

thspfc

« Reply #2907 on: July 10, 2020, 02:46:16 PM »

Gov. Evers wants to revive the !-94 East-West freeway project.

https://www.wpr.org/evers-wants-revive-i-94-east-west-expansion

:wow:

Mike
Hopefully that means the bottleneck at the Stadium Interchange will be gone. That area is impossible to drive through on game days.
Donate today to support the construction of I-19 from Ocean City, MD to Portland, OR.

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: October 22, 2020, 05:12:02 PM
« Reply #2908 on: July 24, 2020, 09:26:55 PM »

Hopefully that means the bottleneck at the Stadium Interchange will be gone. That area is impossible to drive through on game days.

If only there were game day traffic...

At least that last chunk is sort of 'shovel ready' as soon as someone can rustle up some funds.

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

« Reply #2909 on: July 28, 2020, 09:32:12 AM »

If only there were game day traffic...

At least that last chunk is sort of 'shovel ready' as soon as someone can rustle up some funds.
Yeah, very true.

dvferyance

« Reply #2910 on: August 29, 2020, 09:17:40 PM »

It appears that WisDOT is phasing out unincorporated places as control cities with their new signage. I-43 Exit 107 now only has Belgium previously Lake Church had also been used. I-39 and Hwy 34 no longer uses Knowlton no control city NB only Wisconsin Rapids is used SB. I-39 and Hwy W once used Bancroft but no longer being used SB still signed NB for now. I really don't like this I mean even if it's not officially incorporated it's still a place and it looks better than nothing. I wonder how many Wisconsinites even know that Minocqua and Woodruff are not incorporated towns. I also noticed that goofy north-south or east-west have also but phased out but I am cool with that.

thspfc

« Reply #2911 on: August 29, 2020, 09:36:53 PM »

It appears that WisDOT is phasing out unincorporated places as control cities with their new signage. I-43 Exit 107 now only has Belgium previously Lake Church had also been used. I-39 and Hwy 34 no longer uses Knowlton no control city NB only Wisconsin Rapids is used SB. I-39 and Hwy W once used Bancroft but no longer being used SB still signed NB for now. I really don't like this I mean even if it's not officially incorporated it's still a place and it looks better than nothing. I wonder how many Wisconsinites even know that Minocqua and Woodruff are not incorporated towns. I also noticed that goofy north-south or east-west have also but phased out but I am cool with that.
I agree. And Minocqua and Woodruff definitely should be incorporated. It's not a stretch to say those towns are the second most significant population/economic centers in Wisconsin north of US-8.

SEWIGuy

« Reply #2912 on: August 30, 2020, 10:30:04 AM »

I agree. And Minocqua and Woodruff definitely should be incorporated. It's not a stretch to say those towns are the second most significant population/economic centers in Wisconsin north of US-8.

Not sure about that at all but not putting unincorporated areas on signage is strange.

mgk920

« Reply #2913 on: August 30, 2020, 01:17:09 PM »

Not sure about that at all but not putting unincorporated areas on signage is strange.

I've been thinking for some time now that a wide area in the Minocqua-Woodruff area should be turned into a 'City of Lakeland'.  School District there is called 'Lakeland'.

:nod:

Do they also know that Florence, WI is unincorporated?

Mike

GeekJedi

• Last Login: October 18, 2020, 04:51:23 PM
    • The Geek Jedi
« Reply #2914 on: September 01, 2020, 12:17:11 PM »

I agree - even if they're unincorporated, they are still population centers. I had no idea that Minocqua wasn't incorporated!
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

thspfc

« Reply #2915 on: September 01, 2020, 01:11:17 PM »

I've been thinking for some time now that a wide area in the Minocqua-Woodruff area should be turned into a 'City of Lakeland'.  School District there is called 'Lakeland'.

:nod:

Do they also know that Florence, WI is unincorporated?

Mike
In that case the term "Island City" would have to go, as Woodruff is not on an island while Minocqua is (or was, until the US-51 trestle just north of downtown was built).

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: October 22, 2020, 05:12:02 PM
« Reply #2916 on: September 03, 2020, 08:26:15 PM »

In that case the term "Island City" would have to go, as Woodruff is not on an island while Minocqua is (or was, until the US-51 trestle just north of downtown was built).

Technically, Minocqua is and has always been on a peninsula.  The railroad filled in the swamp that separated it from the 'mainland' long before any roads were built.  It was never open water to the north of "The Island".

(Queue Simpson's reference about Monster Island. ;) )
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

peterj920

• Last Login: Today at 11:21:48 AM
« Reply #2917 on: September 08, 2020, 01:22:33 AM »

On I-41 thereís signs for the Town of Lawrence. I believe thatís the only official WISDOT sign for a township in the entire state.

jwags

• Last Login: October 29, 2020, 11:24:55 PM
« Reply #2918 on: September 09, 2020, 07:24:08 PM »

On I-41 thereís signs for the Town of Lawrence. I believe thatís the only official WISDOT sign for a township in the entire state.

On I-94 there is an exit for Ixonia (exit 275)

SEWIGuy

« Reply #2919 on: September 09, 2020, 08:57:33 PM »

Where is the Town of Lawrence sign?  Itís not a BGS.

If they didnít use Ixonia on that I-94 sign, what would they use?  County F dead ends at Wi-16 and there isnít an incorporated city close.

gbgoose

• Last Login: October 29, 2020, 01:44:36 PM
« Reply #2920 on: September 11, 2020, 08:34:41 AM »

Where is the Town of Lawrence sign?  Itís not a BGS.

If they didnít use Ixonia on that I-94 sign, what would they use?  County F dead ends at Wi-16 and there isnít an incorporated city close.

The town signs for Lawrence are similar to what you'd see for a city/village limit sign on the highway. NB 41 is located upon entering into Brown County.  SB 41 just past the Main Ave exit in De Pere.

dvferyance

« Reply #2921 on: September 13, 2020, 06:15:34 PM »

They still use Allenton for WI-33 West at I-41 although an alternative would be Horicon the next town which is incorporated. I find some unincorporated places to be bigger than some incorporated places. Wind Lake in Racine county has a population of 4,000 you can find many incorporated towns much smaller than that over the state.

hobsini2

• Last Login: October 25, 2020, 10:23:19 PM
« Reply #2922 on: September 13, 2020, 07:39:31 PM »

They still use Allenton for WI-33 West at I-41 although an alternative would be Horicon the next town which is incorporated. I find some unincorporated places to be bigger than some incorporated places. Wind Lake in Racine county has a population of 4,000 you can find many incorporated towns much smaller than that over the state.

But for an unicorp town, Allenton doesn't look like one. It looks like a regular small town with about a dozen streets.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4212574,-88.3457859,15z?hl=en

To me, an real unicorp town is more like a crossroads like North Leeds in Columbia County.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3309452,-89.3307791,16z?hl=en
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

mgk920

« Reply #2923 on: September 14, 2020, 03:33:42 AM »

Wind Lake is an incorporated village.

Mike

mgk920

« Reply #2924 on: September 14, 2020, 03:36:31 AM »

But for an unicorp town, Allenton doesn't look like one. It looks like a regular small town with about a dozen streets.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.4212574,-88.3457859,15z?hl=en

To me, an real unicorp town is more like a crossroads like North Leeds in Columbia County.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3309452,-89.3307791,16z?hl=en

Allenton is an unincorporated settlement in Addison Township, Washington County.  I am very surprised that it was not incorporated in the late 19th century.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.